Holy Trickness...Pit Bits from Valkenswaard

ML512
Fantasy
54th
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2018 2:15pm

Want to see more of what DRT Kawasaki has up their sleeves here?

Head here... https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Vital-MX-Pit-Bits-2018-MXGP-of-Valkenswaard,5883

|
ayearinmx
3/21/2018 5:00am
it blows my mind, how much you know about bikes.... and can spot from photos!
chuckdavies
3/21/2018 5:07am
This was a good one - photos looked so crisp on my big monitor full screen!

Nobody can deny the effort Dixon puts in. I had a race motor dyno'd at their workshop a few years ago and Steve showed me around. Incredible place for sure and the amount of work they put into their bikes is incredible.
fourfourone
3/21/2018 5:09am
awesome photos. makes me want to bust out the credit card and dump 10k into my yz
sende
Fantasy
4455th
3/21/2018 9:36am
These are great. Thanks.

The Shop

BobPA
3/21/2018 9:47am
awesome photos. makes me want to bust out the credit card and dump 10k into my yz
You only live once bro.
Donovan759
3/21/2018 12:50pm
BobPA wrote:
You only live once bro.
Laughing
Spergen
3/21/2018 1:20pm
Would love to have a day poking my nose around Steve's workshop. Those bikes are more factory than the factory bikes !
3/21/2018 1:41pm
What is the longer FMF header on their KTM & Huskys for? Better lo-mid performance I assume?
3/21/2018 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 2:51pm
On the DRT Kawi's, are the intake scoops supplemental to the stock airbox and plumbed between the stock air filter and the throttle body? I notice that the airbox is still open on the side panels and there is a custom made air boot in between. Thinking its kind of a hybrid ram-air setup where at low speeds its using mostly the air filter route but at speed the ram air adds to the intake air coming through the air filter. So i'm guessing they have a filter stuffed in that ram-air intake tract somewhere?
Martini637
3/21/2018 3:24pm
On the DRT Kawi's, are the intake scoops supplemental to the stock airbox and plumbed between the stock air filter and the throttle body? I notice...
On the DRT Kawi's, are the intake scoops supplemental to the stock airbox and plumbed between the stock air filter and the throttle body? I notice that the airbox is still open on the side panels and there is a custom made air boot in between. Thinking its kind of a hybrid ram-air setup where at low speeds its using mostly the air filter route but at speed the ram air adds to the intake air coming through the air filter. So i'm guessing they have a filter stuffed in that ram-air intake tract somewhere?
If you look closely there is a filter in the stock filter box, i believe like you said, just a ram air hybrid setup. My guess is, that ram air leads behind the cylinder head and then would channel into the top/sides of the air box only to then pass through the stock air filter.
ayearinmx
3/21/2018 3:26pm
Didn't fancy getting pictures of the 125's?
Thanks for the kind words... but there are plenty of EMX125 rounds and plenty of bikes to shoot, so we decided to focus on those bikes featured with the 125s coming at a later date. Same with EMX300s
JRT812
3/21/2018 3:37pm
Some trick stuff. Personally think the ram air looks better on the TM instead of the DRT Kawi.
3/21/2018 3:45pm
Drilled out aluminum sprockets...Wouldn't adding weight to the sprocket be beneficial vs lower weight. Gyro and cornering? Next big thing will be fuel tanks in the swing arm!
make1go
3/21/2018 6:30pm
Drilled out aluminum sprockets...Wouldn't[i] adding[/i] weight to the sprocket be beneficial vs lower weight. Gyro and cornering? Next big thing will be fuel tanks in the...
Drilled out aluminum sprockets...Wouldn't adding weight to the sprocket be beneficial vs lower weight. Gyro and cornering? Next big thing will be fuel tanks in the swing arm!
nope no no....

fuel in the tyres,

think of all the positives...

Camp332
3/21/2018 7:00pm
ML512 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/20/250723/s1200_pitbitsValkenswaard_4_of_41.jpg[/img] Want to see more of what DRT Kawasaki has up their sleeves here? Head here... [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Vital-MX-Pit-Bits-2018-MXGP-of-Valkenswaard,5883]https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Vital-MX-Pit-Bits-2018-MXGP-of-Valkenswaard,5883 [/url]

Want to see more of what DRT Kawasaki has up their sleeves here?

Head here... https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Vital-MX-Pit-Bits-2018-MXGP-of-Valkenswaard,5883

Pretty crazy setup with the DRT Kawi's. I wonder if the fact that they changed out those frame spars to accommodate the ram-air intake, the bike's handling changed? Seems like a drastic modification for not a lot of HP gain.
hillbilly
3/21/2018 7:24pm
Won't be !long before one of the company's with tank under seat will make their head design with intake runners straight down thru the head

drt410
3/21/2018 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 7:51pm
hillbilly wrote:
Won't be !long before one of the company's with tank under seat will make their head design with intake runners straight down thru the head

Huh?

The only thing I think is less "trick" looking about the gp's is the way they do their numbers. It looks weird how the points leader only has the red plate on the front plate. Also how the 250s only have the black plate on the front. I dont get why they do that its pretty weird. I think it looks better when its consistent all the way around. Besides that things like the ram air kawi are absolutely badass and they have us covered on basically everything else lol. What is the reason they only do the front plate though? Is it just to be different than us?
rileymx
3/21/2018 7:51pm
every time there is a photoshow of the mxgp bikes here, all american mx fans droll on the "trickness" of the bikes and the creative solutions that some of the teams come up with.....
still nobody ever put in question the production rule that the AMA forces, and is responsable for the that......
it is clear, looking at the "bikepark" of both series, that the production rules takes out the capacity of private teams to be competitive, evan small manufactures, it only serves the dominance of the big 5 and it is very visible when the factory riders cant race, they just chose the next best brand rider, leaving the team that betted on him "walking dead"......
looking at the 2 series and how things happen on each side, i think the production rule is a mistake, not good for the business of racing, only serves the big 5 manufactures and is one of the reasons for the loss of competitiveness of american motocross and its not like that in supercross also, because nowhere else in the world supercross is that important......
i find it strange that no one here discusses this.......
3/21/2018 8:02pm
Camp332 wrote:
Pretty crazy setup with the DRT Kawi's. I wonder if the fact that they changed out those frame spars to accommodate the ram-air intake, the bike's...
Pretty crazy setup with the DRT Kawi's. I wonder if the fact that they changed out those frame spars to accommodate the ram-air intake, the bike's handling changed? Seems like a drastic modification for not a lot of HP gain.
I think they just relocated the engine mount and ground down/sanded the frame so that its smooth:

drt410
3/21/2018 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 8:19pm
rileymx wrote:
every time there is a photoshow of the mxgp bikes here, all american mx fans droll on the "trickness" of the bikes and the creative solutions...
every time there is a photoshow of the mxgp bikes here, all american mx fans droll on the "trickness" of the bikes and the creative solutions that some of the teams come up with.....
still nobody ever put in question the production rule that the AMA forces, and is responsable for the that......
it is clear, looking at the "bikepark" of both series, that the production rules takes out the capacity of private teams to be competitive, evan small manufactures, it only serves the dominance of the big 5 and it is very visible when the factory riders cant race, they just chose the next best brand rider, leaving the team that betted on him "walking dead"......
looking at the 2 series and how things happen on each side, i think the production rule is a mistake, not good for the business of racing, only serves the big 5 manufactures and is one of the reasons for the loss of competitiveness of american motocross and its not like that in supercross also, because nowhere else in the world supercross is that important......
i find it strange that no one here discusses this.......
Doesnt not having the rule overseas benefit the big names/brands/riders who can afford to drop thousands of dollars on a ram air kawasaki, where in the US chad reed said his stock husky was lighter and faster than his factory Yamaha. Also Pingree said KTM/Husky engines only drop in some cams and use the stock tranny but with stronger materials because the engines are so good stock that they dont even need to do anything. Seems like the rule benefits the small guy over here a lot more vs overseas where the big names can go all out with unlimited budgets to make insane true factory bikes that absolutely shit on the stock bikes/little guy.
drt410
3/21/2018 8:06pm
Camp332 wrote:
Pretty crazy setup with the DRT Kawi's. I wonder if the fact that they changed out those frame spars to accommodate the ram-air intake, the bike's...
I think they just relocated the engine mount and ground down/sanded the frame so that its smooth: [img]https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2018-Kawasaki-KX250F2.jpg[/img]
I think they just relocated the engine mount and ground down/sanded the frame so that its smooth:

The welds are gone.
rileymx
3/21/2018 8:43pm
drt410 wrote:
Doesnt not having the rule overseas benefit the big names/brands/riders who can afford to drop thousands of dollars on a ram air kawasaki, where in the...
Doesnt not having the rule overseas benefit the big names/brands/riders who can afford to drop thousands of dollars on a ram air kawasaki, where in the US chad reed said his stock husky was lighter and faster than his factory Yamaha. Also Pingree said KTM/Husky engines only drop in some cams and use the stock tranny but with stronger materials because the engines are so good stock that they dont even need to do anything. Seems like the rule benefits the small guy over here a lot more vs overseas where the big names can go all out with unlimited budgets to make insane true factory bikes that absolutely shit on the stock bikes/little guy.
i know what you saying. but like it was said here, and not by me !!!, dixon's kxf 250f looked more "factory" then the factory bike itself. do you imagine a kxf 250f in usa looking more "factory" then the procircuit bike ?????
could you see a small manufacture team, like TM in mxgp that came up with the 2 exaust exists now followed by honda, doing the same here in usa ???
drt410
3/21/2018 9:16pm
Thats a whole different point than what I was making. The big name teams and people with lots of money in the mxgp series can drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on shit that does all kinds of stuff that the little guy cant afford.

Also like I said the rule over here evens it up because Reed said his stock husky had more power and was lighter than his factory Yamaha. Pingree said that Husky/KTM only drop cams in their engines and use the stock tranny ratio with different material for reliability but they basically throw cams/exhaust on their factory bikes and call it a day because they already make SO much more power and are SO much lighter than all other bikes thats all they need to do. That means the USA privateer can buy a stock KTM/Husky and compete with anyone. In the MXGP's they could drop $100,000 of unobtanium on an already light/fast KTM plus port/polish/cams/crank/whatever tf they want and blow away the privateer on a Husky.
Crush
3/21/2018 9:44pm
ayearinmx wrote:
it blows my mind, how much you know about bikes.... and can spot from photos!
Yep the eagle eye part of it is nuts!
Bearuno
3/22/2018 3:41am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2018 3:43am
Then you see Cairoli using the older engine/ cylinder head instead of the new one that Herlings / recipients of FEs run.

Of course, it's sure to be a very special version of the old 'Big Head'.

He can run anything he wants to. And, in any combination / configuration of what KTM have in their box of tricks.

The GPs allow so much variation and innovation, which is such a great thing to see.

But, it it can be surprising to those that think it's all Works Bikes, how often riders and even big, well financed teams still use production items. I think Pourcel when he was last in the 450 GPs declined the use of an 'SR' level bike, to use a modified production bike / engine.
Camp332
3/22/2018 5:02am
Camp332 wrote:
I think they just relocated the engine mount and ground down/sanded the frame so that its smooth: [img]https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2018-Kawasaki-KX250F2.jpg[/img]

drt410 wrote:
The welds are gone.
Those frame spars are not oem. ML covered that. Looks like they had to widen the frame to get the induction stuffed in there.
Homey55
3/22/2018 8:07am
Better get MPS in here and tell us how it's done Woohoo
Motofinne
3/22/2018 8:10am
Interesting to see a steering stabilizer on the KTMs.
hillbilly
3/22/2018 8:12am
hillbilly wrote:

drt410 wrote:
Huh? The only thing I think is less "trick" looking about the gp's is the way they do their numbers. It looks weird how the points...
Huh?

The only thing I think is less "trick" looking about the gp's is the way they do their numbers. It looks weird how the points leader only has the red plate on the front plate. Also how the 250s only have the black plate on the front. I dont get why they do that its pretty weird. I think it looks better when its consistent all the way around. Besides that things like the ram air kawi are absolutely badass and they have us covered on basically everything else lol. What is the reason they only do the front plate though? Is it just to be different than us?
Its complicated.

Straightest line equals less restrictions

Intake on the rear of head requires mixture to turn almost ninety degrees to enter cylinder at valve.

With airbox where the tank was it would be a straight shot into the cylinder thru the head.

Almost zero valve shrouding and volumetric efficiency would increase

Ford ran a small block at Indy in the late 60s early 70s with this design. It was a dohc that had intake runner between cams and exhaust ran out into the valley between heads where the intake normally mounts. Made a very narrow engine

Post a reply to: Holy Trickness...Pit Bits from Valkenswaard

The Latest