Holy Sh*t - Not even a full gate for 250's

MXMattii
5/20/2017 3:38pm
It seems very logic that the 250 hasn't that much of entrees. I'm close to someone who owned a satellite MX2 team here in Europe and developing a competitive bike for outdoors is very expensive, and if I see those very fast US tracks I guess that being privateer on a pretty much stock 250 won't do justice to your skill. So I wouldn't enter either.

A pretty much stock 450 on the other hand can be competitive if you have a good pilot on it, but that starts to become hard too with the ECU story. But in recent history we saw Clément Desalle, Kyle Regal, Weston Peick do great things on pretty much stock, private bikes in US Nationals.

Also because making a fast bike is harder, read more expensive, then a good handling bike for Supercross/Arenacross lots of 250 teams are doing only AX or SX West or SX East. And again that makes that lots of those riders just don't ride outdoors, or race somewhere else like Canada, Australia and even the European series.
JMR1976
5/20/2017 4:33pm
I was wrong. Maybe 4 strokes are killing the sport.
GalagaOnMYArm
Fantasy
41st
5/23/2017 10:27am
No I haven't. I just went to bed. As for you 2 pair of retards, you've totally missed the point that MX racing has become so...
No I haven't. I just went to bed. As for you 2 pair of retards, you've totally missed the point that MX racing has become so elite and expensive that there will be low numbers from here on in as the cost to be competative gets higher and higher. I'll admit I have no idea what karting costs but you said what would so I threw out something I thought may be cheaper due to fewer components required. I don't have race team balance sheets on me to compare so I can't give you a factual answer on that.

Facts. I'll give you an example fact. A custom set of gears costs $25,000 and they have more than one set of ratios. Do you need them? yes if you want to win.
Here's another. A set of cases lasts only 2 -3 rebuilds before a loss of 1/2 to 1 HP is seen due to slight deformation. 9RegSX + 12MX + 1MEC = 22 races / 2 = 11 sets of cases per rider. Do you need to change them that often. Depends how much HP you want to give up on a 250.
Frames. Depending on the rider and crashes you could be looking at LEAST 4 which can be cycled around to practice bikes from the 6 new bikes you started the season off with = $50,000
Kit suspension. Don't know current price but approx $10,000 x 2 sets per rider for servicing between rounds = $20,000 plus servicing costs and factory suspension tech costs during R&D and at the races = $30,000 - $40,000????
Racetech Ti bolt set = $4000 ea x 2 = $8000
Ti exhaust systems = $1200 + if you need custom tailered power at leat 5 sets = $6000
Race tires x 2 x 3 a round avg x 22 rounds = 176 = $20,000????
Custom pistons
Custom cams
Custom cylinder heads x a few trial and errors and those for SX or MX
High end valve trains and servicing of heads
Custom injectors and servicing
Programable ECU's
Gasket sets
Crankshafts
All the parts changed out each engine rebuild
Ceramic bearings
Throttle assemblies
cables
Handlebars, grips and levers
Carbon tanks
Wheel sets
Plastics for each round
Ultra light seats
Carbon fibre bits and pieces
O/sized brake kits
Triple clamps
Ti foot pegs
airfilters for the season
race fuel
Mechanic
Engine tech
Suspenion tech
R&D guy
trainer
massage therapist
personal yogi
Manager
Transporter and awning
tableclothes
posters and other PR
Tools and tool boxs
a mule
driver
Accomadation
fuel
race entries
practice track entries
a personal test track
food
coffee
blood doping
hookers and blo on the road

The point is, if you don't have this sort of set up and costs, your not even competing for a top ten anymore. The days of John Dowd beating the factory guys are long gone.

Flame away, take the piss, I don't really care cause I'll be out doing shit today with motorbikes, not my computer.
I'm going to take a nap now. Might order a pizza. Doesn't matter really
I'm guessing your going to start another account? greasemeter. otherwise known as a dipstick
BobPA wrote:
Your "facts" are grossly over inflated opinion. A custom gear set is not $25k, you lost right off the bat. Try again dummy.
He said "gears" not gear set idiot.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
5/23/2017 10:59pm
a lot of it comes down to cost of building a 250 to race.

Was listening to 'inside the rut' and they had skip norfolk on the first one. He was asked straight forward if cost is a bigger issue compared to a 125.

back in the day the motor wasnt as big a gap and a guy could build a motor and have something close enough. like 90% of what a PC bike. You could spend $1000 on a 125 motor

today to build a competitive 250f you need to drop $10k on the motor.

There is no way for a privateer to feasibly build and race a 250f (that is competitive) today and combining with a lack of purse races there's no way to make enough money to keep a bike going for a whole series.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Holy Sh*t - Not even a full gate for 250's

The Latest