Holcombe crowned 2020 EnduroGP World Champion after Freeman runs out of fuel in final test

Johnny Depp
11/15/2020 9:07am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2020 10:17am

https://enduro21.com/en/racing/latest/endurogp/endurogp-results-holcomb…

Steve Holcombe has become the 2020 EnduroGP World Champion after a dramatic final day’s racing saw Brad Freeman lead the entire day only to dramatically run out of fuel in the last test – Andrea Verona grabs the E1 World Championship and EnduroGP bronze medal while Jane Daniels smashes the Women’s World Cup class.
EnduroGP final day in a nutshell:
Tough, tough riding conditions brought out the best in Brad Freeman on the decisive day’s racing in the 2020 EnduroGP championship. The chips were down in the contest between the Beta teammates and in horrible riding conditions Freeman rode his socks off.
A decisive moment on lap three saw Brad nearly 10 seconds fastest overall while Holcombe lost almost 30 seconds and it looked like the moment the 2020 EnduroGP world title had been won and lost.
But the pendulum swung back in favour of Holcombe as first Freeman’s bike spluttered through test eight before finally giving up the game in the ninth and final test having ran out of fuel.
That final twist in the plot handed Josep Garcia the GP day win and second place to Holcombe who was able to claim the overall title. “Honestly I don’t deserve to win after the way I rode today but after how I have ridden all season, I do.” Said the now seven-time World Champion.
|
11/15/2020 11:38am
ohh what a bummer for Freeman he rode great
LungButter
11/15/2020 12:14pm
Wow.

Can they only fuel at designated areas I assume?
Johnny Depp
11/15/2020 1:18pm
I haven’t heard the story yet on how that happened, it makes no sense on a factory team.?
racerxx276
11/15/2020 4:00pm
They said his engine was sputtering in test 8 and stopped due to fuel in test 9. Maybe they don't want to say the engine blew. Highly unlikely that the team would let him run out of fuel...

The Shop

LungButter
11/15/2020 4:14pm
racerxx276 wrote:
They said his engine was sputtering in test 8 and stopped due to fuel in test 9. Maybe they don't want to say the engine blew...
They said his engine was sputtering in test 8 and stopped due to fuel in test 9. Maybe they don't want to say the engine blew. Highly unlikely that the team would let him run out of fuel...
Yeah, seemed odd to me too. If it was sputtering in 8 how was there enough fuel to even get to test 9?
WFO
11/15/2020 4:26pm
You race to the Checkered flag......anything else is just an Excuse.
Its Tough but that's why we Race.
LungButter
11/15/2020 5:54pm
WFO wrote:
You race to the Checkered flag......anything else is just an Excuse.
Its Tough but that's why we Race.
Huh?
Johnny Depp
11/15/2020 9:57pm
racerxx276 wrote:
They said his engine was sputtering in test 8 and stopped due to fuel in test 9. Maybe they don't want to say the engine blew...
LungButter wrote:
Yeah, seemed odd to me too. If it was sputtering in 8 how was there enough fuel to even get to test 9?
The photo above shows Freeman riding the bike into the pits. We need more info, the video's might explain more?
Bearuno
11/15/2020 10:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2020 10:50pm

tek14
11/16/2020 12:13am
racerxx276 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
The photo above shows Freeman riding the bike into the pits. We need more info, the video's might explain more?
He lost around one minute on test 9 by results and finished 3rd overall in whole event.
Does this mean he just has had to switch reserve fuel tank or what?
On test 8 he did run same time with Holcombe.
When my bike runs out of fuel it goes around 50m forward not to end of test and then back to pits.
Sounds more like bike problem that their PR team didnt want to highlight.
Bearuno
11/16/2020 1:31am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2020 9:00am
You'll find that a lot of riders / teams, will not have a reserve setting on their fuel tap. Or, run it on the reserve setting at all times, to stop that transition danger. I've had a few scary moments over the decades with the main tap gasping for air, at a very inopportune time, that's for sure.

If he ran out of fuel in a test, you can bet your arse he could easily lose a minute in said test. Heck, in a Special, if it's a nasty one, I could see how a 'cough/ gasp out', could land you in a position to lose heaps of time, even if you discovered that the problem was just the fuel tap setting. And then , if the lever is cut off, to avoid the chance of something turning the tap off, you might be fumbling for a tool to set it to reserve.

But, if he did indeed run out of fuel, in whatever way, it's a mighty 'ef' up, that's for sure!

I'm not fully up on EWC rules, but perhaps a minder can give them fuel outside of a Special Test (and Not within it), or a 'friendly' spectator gave him a top up? It's long been a 'thing', though they don't seem to call them 'Ghost Riders' anymore.

Bummer for the bloke, but, Beta will be happy, either way. Well, other than what may be / seems to be, a bit of a public stuff up.

Maybe water in the fuel / carb (re the spluttering / whatever it was some have mentioned) - it was a wet event, so that might have been the problem?

And, of course, in the Day 2 video, we have that young lady stating "it was the F**king Fuel!" How can anyone argue with that scientific / engineering evaluation of the problem? WhistlingWoohoo
Johnny Depp
11/16/2020 8:25am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2020 8:29am
It's looking like only the rider's can fuel a bike, and the pits were a long way from the course. Most likely someone didn't top it off to save weight, and it was a miscalculation that couldn't be corrected legally? It seems they knew going into test 9 there was an issue, Brad likely knew he was f**ked.
https://www.endurogp.org/en/holcombe-endurogp-champion-dramatic-finale

The drone shots in day 1 are awesome, what a bad ass race course. It's also great to see KTM back in the game, Josep Garcia taking KTM's 1st day win since 2017. He was always a top EnduroGP rider and seemed to thrive on the mud days which turned more like Hard Enduro. Manni the WESS Champ also entered but was not a factor, not sure what happened there?
tek14
11/18/2020 2:41am
They refueled him before last stage, on stage and after that on way to pits. Should have been disqualified from event but I guess you do this if you have chance to become world champion. Rules are clear.

Johnny Depp
11/25/2020 9:09am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 9:15am
Brad released a video with a partial explanation.

* Test 8 issue was a wet air filter
* Test 9 he runs out of fuel and takes over a minute to realize it was not a mechanical
* After too late, he leans the bike to the left and continues on

https://enduro21.com/en/features/latest/10-things-the-moments-that-defi…
Johnny Depp
11/25/2020 9:12am
Holcombe's bike:

https://enduro21.com/en/bikes/latest/pro-bike-steve-holcombe-s-beta-rac…

One fact you couldn’t deny before 2020 was the unproven Beta 4T engines. It’s not that the Italian manufacturer hadn’t properly tested the engines or even that the bikes are particularly new, but in World Championship racing Beta certainly hasn’t been here before and Holcombe took a minor step of faith. In the end the 4T proved 100% reliable all season and come the final race and final test, proved the least thirsty option also.

What’s going on inside this hand-built 349.1cc, DOHC, titanium valved four-stroke engine? Things are basically standard but “tweaked” is the short answer.
Johnny Depp
11/25/2020 9:18am
https://enduro21.com/en/racing/latest/japan-enduro/beta-claims-first-ev…

“The quality of my bike was good and this time I came here to the last round with a lot of confidence – I was able to start off with a relaxed mind.” Says Tadashi. “The special test was difficult, but I was able to ride with about 80 percent and still get good times. That’s how well the bike works!” The 2020 Championship means Kugimura has won his fourth JEC title for himself. This also became the first JEC title for Beta.
brycepdh
11/27/2020 6:34am
Need Matty Phillips to come back and race Enduro again
Johnny Depp
12/15/2020 10:17am

https://enduro21.com/en/bikes/latest/pro-bike-brad-freeman-s-beta-rr-30…

"Team manager Fabrizio Dini explains the details beginning with the special cylinder head: “The cylinder head is special and has two spark plugs where the standard bike of course has one. We use two because Brad likes the bike to be strong in the bottom and always rides in tall gears, so the extra spark gives the bike more torque and also improves the mid-range power.” It’s a notable engineering change but it also necessitates a different map in the CDI to improve the throttle response and marry with the additional fire power. "

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIX6WvGgYMg/?utm_source=ig_embed

Post a reply to: Holcombe crowned 2020 EnduroGP World Champion after Freeman runs out of fuel in final test

The Latest