Hitch Carrier

Related:
Create New Tag

12/11/2017 4:34 PM

I roached the ramp of my hitch carrier. Does anyone know where to pick up a spare. I already tried Discount Ramps but I couldn't even find my hauler. This is what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Receiver-Mounted-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-Carrier-Trailer-Rack-w-Ramp/282663564166?epid=821465087&hash=item41d00fb386:g:THAAAOSwGtRXzh4f&vxp=mtr

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/11/2017 4:49 PM

i have that one. i got it at harbor freight...its cheaper there i think, if i remember right its something like 80 or 90 bucks. it works great. look at harborfraight.com

|

12/11/2017 5:56 PM

This is the one I have... so far so good.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-motorcycle-carrier

Cycle Gear $129

|

12/11/2017 6:55 PM

Don't buy the Harbor Freight hauler. I know a guy that mounted one on the front of his motorhome. The hauler broke and he ran over his bike.

|

12/11/2017 7:49 PM

I managed to repair my ramp but don't how it will hold up bit I am just looking for a ramp.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/12/2017 8:37 AM

Quit messing around and get the best.
Get a Switch Hauler®
Photo

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

12/12/2017 10:03 AM

babba boey wrote:

Don't buy the Harbor Freight hauler. I know a guy that mounted one on the front of his motorhome. The hauler broke and he ran over his bike.

Hahaha! Wow. That's a seriously unfortunate mistake. Poor guy...

|

12/12/2017 10:39 AM

|

two wheels lifestyle
Kyle Pulley
selling powersports @TeamCharlotteMotorsports
3004 Freedom Dr. Charlotte NC 28208
Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, & Preowned Harley Davidson

12/12/2017 10:55 AM

Are you guys hauling with an suv? If so, do you carry fuel inside?

|

12/12/2017 12:29 PM

I got a cheap steel hauler http://www.discountramps.com/dirt-bike-hitch-carrier/p/MX-600X/ on sale for like $120 from discount ramps. I’ve been using it for a couple years already and couldn’t be happier. I have it mounted to a Honda Pilot. Steel is real.

|

12/12/2017 12:40 PM

I have the aluminum Black Widow from Discount Ramps ($149). No problemo, but I only use it for shuttling vintage bikes from my home to the shop. I haven't got the guts to put it to use on the highway.

|

12/12/2017 12:42 PM

what kind of minivan are you mounting to? this one works great with the Ridgeline

Photo

|

12/12/2017 1:15 PM

All these replies and nobody bothered to read his question? He isn't looking for a new hitch carrier, he's looking for a new ramp for his hitch carrier. ermm

|

12/12/2017 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 1:39 PM

Zooki wrote:

All these replies and nobody bothered to read his question? He isn't looking for a new hitch carrier, he's looking for a new ramp for his hitch carrier. ermm

Of course, you're right...but we've had a helluva good time sharing our purchases. laughing

|

12/12/2017 5:06 PM

groggylbc wrote:

i have that one. i got it at harbor freight...its cheaper there i think, if i remember right its something like 80 or 90 bucks. it works great. look at harborfraight.com

Sounds like a go0d idea to throw a 10g bike on a harbor freight carrier. I can see the logic, lol Or even 1k bike for that matter.

|

12/12/2017 5:17 PM

babba boey wrote:

Donovan759 wrote:

Hahaha! Wow. That's a seriously unfortunate mistake. Poor guy...

Had the Harbor Freight and used it 2 Years with a KX250F and a KX85 modified it a bit and it worked perfect.

|

12/12/2017 6:25 PM

I just got this one made by Erickson manufacturing and it has a spot for your gas can. Works great!Photo

|

12/12/2017 6:39 PM

captmoto wrote:

I roached the ramp of my hitch carrier. Does anyone know where to pick up a spare. I already tried Discount Ramps but I couldn't even find my hauler. This is what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Receiver-Mounted-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-Carrier-Trailer-Rack-w-Ramp/282663564166?epid=821465087&hash=item41d00fb386:g:THAAAOSwGtRXzh4f&vxp=mtr

I have that same carrier, but I paid less than that for mine, even in Canadian funds.

Go get some angle iron, fire up the welder and you'll never bend one again... If you don't have a welder, call one of your manly buddies, bring him a 2-4 and get him to weld it up.

One word of caution, one of my "safety checks" before I use it, is to check where the bolts that hold the main rack go through the 2" tube, looking for any elongation of the holes are cracking from the edges of the holes that could be caused by the slop of the mounting of the rack on the tube.

I used the rack all of 2016, probably close to 10,000km and never noticed an issue.

|

12/12/2017 7:14 PM

Michael Scott wrote:

Are you guys hauling with an suv? If so, do you carry fuel inside?

Wondered this, too.

|

12/12/2017 7:16 PM

Zooki wrote:

SMH at myself. I totally missed it

And even though you posted this no one has noticed ?

|

12/12/2017 7:19 PM

I only posted the one I have because someone asked about carrying fuel.

|

12/13/2017 4:51 AM

Just buy a aluminum ramp, cut it in half. Then you have a spare in case it happens again

|

12/13/2017 6:55 AM

I’m looking to buy a carrier soon, not trying to spend over $400. Recommendations? whistling Almost bought a discount ramps one but was scared it might be cheaply made

|

12/13/2017 8:07 AM

To answer the gas question on mine, I would usually just strap a 2.5 gal can under the frame rails for a big bike, or on where the ramp portion attached for a kids bike. Don't use it too often, though.

|

12/13/2017 9:05 AM

Dirty Points wrote:

To answer the gas question on mine, I would usually just strap a 2.5 gal can under the frame rails for a big bike, or on where the ramp portion attached for a kids bike. Don't use it too often, though.

Thanks!

|

12/13/2017 12:18 PM

I have the harbor freight one and its been good so far. My biggest problem is figuring out a place to store it.

|

12/14/2017 6:30 AM

Since we're all just ignoring the initial request of OP, I bought this one 2 years ago and I'm so impressed with it, that if it ever needs replacing, I'll buy another. Full steel frame, expanded mesh grate for gear bags, gas cans, full size cooler, pop up tent, whatever.

The biggest PRO of this is that it has enough clearance for my Jeep Wrangler's spare tire. The only CON is that it's quite heavy, but not so heavy that I need 2 people to install it. But like a real man, I carry all my groceries in one trip, so your mileage may vary. cool

Photo

Photo

OP, could you buy an aluminum step ladder and fabricate it to be the right length?

|

12/14/2017 7:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 7:45 AM

Kanewel433 wrote:

Since we're all just ignoring the initial request of OP, I bought this one 2 years ago and I'm so impressed with it, that if it ever needs replacing, I'll buy another. Full steel frame, expanded mesh grate for gear bags, gas cans, full size cooler, pop up tent, whatever.

The biggest PRO of this is that it has enough clearance for my Jeep Wrangler's spare tire. The only CON is that it's quite heavy, but not so heavy that I need 2 people to install it. But like a real man, I carry all my groceries in one trip, so your mileage may vary. cool

Photo

Photo

OP, could you buy an aluminum step ladder and fabricate it to be the right length?

I get why you need it for your vehicle, but, man, I don't like how long that is. Given the torque multiplication that a lever arm produces, I bet you are already exceeding (or really close to exceeding) the tongue weight rating of your vehicle/hitch, even with just your relatively light 2-stroke and that heavy carrier.

|

12/14/2017 7:44 AM

Kanewel433 wrote:

Photo

Photo

Dirty Points wrote:

I get why you need it for your vehicle, but, man, I don't like how long that is. Given the torque multiplication that a lever arm produces, I bet you are already exceeding (or really close to exceeding) the tongue weight rating of your vehicle/hitch, even with just your relatively light 2-stroke and that heavy carrier.

You’re not wrong at all, I am cutting it kinda close at a 350lbs tongue weight limit on the 4 door JK. But the carrier is sturdy, and I upgraded the jeeps suspension to accommodate for the sag.

All that being said, the carrier itself is first class.

|

12/14/2017 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 7:52 AM

Kanewel433 wrote:

Photo

Photo

Dirty Points wrote:

Kanewel433 wrote:

You’re not wrong at all, I am cutting it kinda close at a 350lbs tongue weight limit on the 4 door JK. But the carrier is sturdy, and I upgraded the jeeps suspension to accommodate for the sag.

All that being said, the carrier itself is first class.

Then I think you're pretty far over, for sure. That setup, when accounting for leverage, is putting way more than 350 lbs of downforce at the typical point of attachment.

|