History of the ama red plate

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2020 7:17 PM

They started doing red plates for the previous champion starting 2007
In 2009 the red plate went to the point leader for outdoors.
Not until 2012 did the point leader in supercross get the red plate

Despite winning 30 races in SX this is only the 2nd time Eli will hold the red plate by himself

I have 3 questions im interested in:
Who's had the red plate the most weekends as point leader in:
Supercross - my guess would be Ryan Dungey
Motocross - my guess would be Ryan Dungey

Also who has had the red plate the most and never gotten a 450 title - my guess would be Marvin

Kenny has definitely if its just one series - hes held the red plate in SX in 2014, 15, 17, 18, 20

|

2/19/2020 7:21 PM

Roczen won a bunch of moto's in the 2016 MX season.

|

2/19/2020 7:23 PM

Motocross I would guess Tomac, 3 rounds in 2015, 7-8 in 2017?, 11 in 2018, 10 in 2019. Dungey may be close though.

|

2/19/2020 7:23 PM

Anyone know what the blue plate that MC ran was for?

|

2/19/2020 7:30 PM

Sean_Light wrote:

Anyone know what the blue plate that MC ran was for?

I believe it was for the series defending champion.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/19/2020 7:33 PM

Sean_Light wrote:

Anyone know what the blue plate that MC ran was for?

Grand National champ?

|

2/19/2020 7:36 PM

Have to think RV in sx.

|

2/19/2020 7:38 PM

Kenny for the red plate held the longest without a title?

|

2/19/2020 7:59 PM

Sean_Light wrote:

Anyone know what the blue plate that MC ran was for?

kevin204 wrote:

Grand National champ?

Blue plates should make a return 💙

|

2/19/2020 8:01 PM

What about green plates in MXGP?

|

2/19/2020 8:03 PM

I'm not sure who has held the red plate the longest without a title over consecutive years, but do know Millsaps held the red plate for 9 rounds in 2013 to Villopoto's 8 rounds. RV won the title and Millsaps finished 2nd.

That's the only one that comes to mind for holding the red plate the longest in a single season without winning the title.

2013 SX

A1: RV2
Phoenix: Millsaps
A2: Millsaps
Oakland: Millsaps
A3: Millsaps
San Diego: Millsaps
Dallas: Millsaps
Atlanta: Millsaps
St-Louis: Millsaps
Daytona: Millsaps
Indianapolis: RV2
Toronto: RV2
Houston: RV2
Minneapolis: RV2
Seattle: RV2
SLC: RV2
Vegas: RV2

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/19/2020 8:17 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I'm not sure who has held the red plate the longest without a title over consecutive years, but do know Millsaps held the red plate for 9 rounds in 2013 to Villopoto's 8 rounds. RV won the title and Millsaps finished 2nd.

That's the only one that comes to mind for holding the red plate the longest in a single season without winning the title.

2013 SX

A1: RV2
Phoenix: Millsaps
A2: Millsaps
Oakland: Millsaps
A3: Millsaps
San Diego: Millsaps
Dallas: Millsaps
Atlanta: Millsaps
St-Louis: Millsaps
Daytona: Millsaps
Indianapolis: RV2
Toronto: RV2
Houston: RV2
Minneapolis: RV2
Seattle: RV2
SLC: RV2
Vegas: RV2

Millsaps was ON IT that year. Then he had a knee injury right?

|

2/19/2020 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2020 8:53 PM

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/19/2020 10:50 PM

I’ve got a question, who came up with the idea of the red plate as the championship leader? Really cool idea. The only other time I’ve seen it used is in alpine skiing.

|

2/20/2020 3:59 AM

TheLsho wrote:

What about green plates in MXGP?

250 class. 125 had black and 500 ran yellow

|

2/20/2020 5:48 AM

Sean_Light wrote:

Anyone know what the blue plate that MC ran was for?

Grand National Champion...for having the most points combined between SX and MX...

|

2/21/2020 8:26 AM

As of Tampa 2020

Supercross Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….46
Ryan Villopoto………..35
Jason Anderson….…..17
Ken Roczen………..…14
Cooper Webb………...12
David Millsaps…………9
Eli Tomac………………3
Justin Barcia……….....3
Chad Reed……….…...1
Marvin Musquin……….1

Motocross Red Plate Holder
Eli Tomac……………...30
Ken Roczen……………25
Ryan Dungey………….21
Ryan Villopoto………...11
Marvin Musquin…….….3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2

Total SX and MX Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….67
Ryan Villopoto………..46
Ken Roczen……..……39
Eli Tomac…………..…33
Jason Anderson….…..17
Cooper Webb……..….12
David Millsaps…………9
Marvin Musquin…….….4
Justin Barcia…………...3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2
Chad Reed………..…...1


|

2/22/2020 2:39 AM

Maverick313 wrote:

As of Tampa 2020

Supercross Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….46
Ryan Villopoto………..35
Jason Anderson….…..17
Ken Roczen………..…14
Cooper Webb………...12
David Millsaps…………9
Eli Tomac………………3
Justin Barcia……….....3
Chad Reed……….…...1
Marvin Musquin……….1

Motocross Red Plate Holder
Eli Tomac……………...30
Ken Roczen……………25
Ryan Dungey………….21
Ryan Villopoto………...11
Marvin Musquin…….….3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2

Total SX and MX Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….67
Ryan Villopoto………..46
Ken Roczen……..……39
Eli Tomac…………..…33
Jason Anderson….…..17
Cooper Webb……..….12
David Millsaps…………9
Marvin Musquin…….….4
Justin Barcia…………...3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2
Chad Reed………..…...1


Reed has had the red plate a few times, definitely more than once. I think he even had it at the time of the chadapault right?

|

2/22/2020 2:55 AM

Does anyone know the exact weight of the red plate?

|

2/22/2020 3:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2020 3:39 AM

Maverick313 wrote:

As of Tampa 2020

Supercross Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….46
Ryan Villopoto………..35
Jason Anderson….…..17
Ken Roczen………..…14
Cooper Webb………...12
David Millsaps…………9
Eli Tomac………………3
Justin Barcia……….....3
Chad Reed……….…...1
Marvin Musquin……….1

Motocross Red Plate Holder
Eli Tomac……………...30
Ken Roczen……………25
Ryan Dungey………….21
Ryan Villopoto………...11
Marvin Musquin…….….3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2

Total SX and MX Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….67
Ryan Villopoto………..46
Ken Roczen……..……39
Eli Tomac…………..…33
Jason Anderson….…..17
Cooper Webb……..….12
David Millsaps…………9
Marvin Musquin…….….4
Justin Barcia…………...3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2
Chad Reed………..…...1


blockhead17 wrote:

Reed has had the red plate a few times, definitely more than once. I think he even had it at the time of the chadapault right?

Yeah just in MX Reed had the red plate on the Suzuki in 09, on the Kawi start of 10 and on the Honda for several rounds in 11.

|

2/22/2020 6:20 AM

Maverick313 wrote:

As of Tampa 2020

Supercross Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….46
Ryan Villopoto………..35
Jason Anderson….…..17
Ken Roczen………..…14
Cooper Webb………...12
David Millsaps…………9
Eli Tomac………………3
Justin Barcia……….....3
Chad Reed……….…...1
Marvin Musquin……….1

Motocross Red Plate Holder
Eli Tomac……………...30
Ken Roczen……………25
Ryan Dungey………….21
Ryan Villopoto………...11
Marvin Musquin…….….3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2

Total SX and MX Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….67
Ryan Villopoto………..46
Ken Roczen……..……39
Eli Tomac…………..…33
Jason Anderson….…..17
Cooper Webb……..….12
David Millsaps…………9
Marvin Musquin…….….4
Justin Barcia…………...3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2
Chad Reed………..…...1


blockhead17 wrote:

Reed has had the red plate a few times, definitely more than once. I think he even had it at the time of the chadapault right?

CPR wrote:

Yeah just in MX Reed had the red plate on the Suzuki in 09, on the Kawi start of 10 and on the Honda for several rounds in 11.

I just counted from 2012, I'll update it.

|

2/22/2020 6:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2020 6:57 AM

Updated.

Supercross Red Plate Holder since 2012
Ryan Dungey…...…….46
Ryan Villopoto………..35
Jason Anderson……...17
Ken Roczen……….…14
Cooper Webb………..12
David Millsaps…………9
Eli Tomac………………3
Justin Barcia……….....3
Chad Reed…………....1
Marvin Musquin……….1

Motocross Red Plate Holder since 2009
Ryan Dungey………….32
Eli Tomac……………...30
Ken Roczen……………25
Chad Reed……………..18
Ryan Villopoto………...16
Marvin Musquin……..….3
James Stewart……...….2
Blake Baggett………….2
Mike Alessi…………….2

Total SX and MX Red Plate Holder
Ryan Dungey…...…….78
Ryan Villopoto…….…..51
Ken Roczen……..….…39
Eli Tomac…………...…33
Chad Reed………..…...19
Jason Anderson……....17
Cooper Webb………….12
David Millsaps…………9
Marvin Musquin…….….4
Justin Barcia…………...3
James Stewart…..…….2
Blake Baggett………….2
Mike Alessi…………….2

|

2/22/2020 7:24 AM

I'm pretty sure i remember carmichael having the red plate quite often too. Im guessing it goes back even further than we realized.

|

2/22/2020 7:31 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I'm pretty sure i remember carmichael having the red plate quite often too. Im guessing it goes back even further than we realized.

Carmichael only ran it in 2007, but at that time it was to designate the current champ, not the points leader.

|

2/22/2020 7:37 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I'm pretty sure i remember carmichael having the red plate quite often too. Im guessing it goes back even further than we realized.

2007 SX & MX

Photo
Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/22/2020 7:41 AM

drok577 wrote:

They started doing red plates for the previous champion starting 2007
In 2009 the red plate went to the point leader for outdoors.
Not until 2012 did the point leader in supercross get the red plate

Despite winning 30 races in SX this is only the 2nd time Eli will hold the red plate by himself

I have 3 questions im interested in:
Who's had the red plate the most weekends as point leader in:
Supercross - my guess would be Ryan Dungey
Motocross - my guess would be Ryan Dungey

Also who has had the red plate the most and never gotten a 450 title - my guess would be Marvin

Kenny has definitely if its just one series - hes held the red plate in SX in 2014, 15, 17, 18, 20

This is inaccurate as I know I saw Reed running the red plate in SX 2009. Photo

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

2/22/2020 7:44 AM

I'm glad they decided to ditch the black number on red backgrounds for the 250 class.

Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/22/2020 7:49 AM

drok577 wrote:

They started doing red plates for the previous champion starting 2007
In 2009 the red plate went to the point leader for outdoors.
Not until 2012 did the point leader in supercross get the red plate

Despite winning 30 races in SX this is only the 2nd time Eli will hold the red plate by himself

I have 3 questions im interested in:
Who's had the red plate the most weekends as point leader in:
Supercross - my guess would be Ryan Dungey
Motocross - my guess would be Ryan Dungey

Also who has had the red plate the most and never gotten a 450 title - my guess would be Marvin

Kenny has definitely if its just one series - hes held the red plate in SX in 2014, 15, 17, 18, 20

Racer111 wrote:

This is inaccurate as I know I saw Reed running the red plate in SX 2009. Photo

Chad won the 2008 SX title, so he wore the red plate as the defending champion in 2009.

2012 to present the red plate went to the rider leading the series. The defending champion wore the red plate at A1, but then it could switch to any rider leading the series.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/22/2020 5:22 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I'm glad they decided to ditch the black number on red backgrounds for the 250 class.

Photo

I personally loved the looks of the black on red.

|

2/23/2020 6:13 PM

Sean_Light wrote:

Anyone know what the blue plate that MC ran was for?

When Camel sponsored Supercross, the defending champion ran a blue plate with yellow #1. Interstingly enough, the blue plate in SX was only ever run on a Honda which is too bad because it would have looked great on a Kawasaki or Suzuki.

|