Hip dislocation advice

Nikki641
7/13/2016 4:06pm
Hi, im just hoping for some advice/reassurence involving hip dislocations.
Last wednesday my 18yr old brother went to a practice track (badly maintained track, too dusty, no first aiders on site) preparing for
the next round of his championship, we are still unsure of how the accident occured as he doesnt remember much. After crashing on the
landing of the tabletop he was thrown off his bike from a great height and speed.
He was air lifted to Stoke university hospital, after many scans and x-rays the doctors diagnosed him with a dislocated hip, his hip was put back in place a few hours after the accident with no surgery needed. He was on traction for 5 days, on the monday after noon he was up and out of bed and home by the next evening.
It's upsetting to see him out of the season after working so hard on his fitness and riding, so I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar injury and if you still ride/compete?
Thanks
|
Wade221
7/13/2016 4:11pm
Several years ago, got landed on. Dislocated, as well. No surgery. Some physical therapy. Besides a slight loss in hip flexibility, no issues
flamenco
7/13/2016 4:23pm
My experience is much older, so take all of this as a "for what its worth" kind of situation ....

Dislocated my hip playing football (american), at 13 years of age. Absolute and strict dislocation after I did a split and had people jump on me. Just to describe it. I was in traction for three weeks with immobilization, and and then for three months on crutches with no weight-bearing at all. After that I did not go through any particular rehabilitation, and that is actually when I started racing motocross.... smart I know. Anyway, I am quite sure the thinking on that particular injury has changed dramatically, but just to say, what they were worried about with me was loss of blood flow to the bone and thus death of socket-ball joint. Thankfully, all worked well and I am fine in my hip. I think with smart doctors your brother will be great. Read up and ask questions and take the time necessary to heal. Great care to you!
crusher773
7/13/2016 4:48pm
Dislocated hip for me was the easiest injury I have had. I had a throttle stick going through an arenacross rhythm section on a 125. I went for quite the ride. Mine was punched out the back into my buttcheek. They had to put me out to put it back in because my muscles had gotten so tight. Every time they would pop it back in it would come back out. I did it back in about 2004 or so. I was able to get out and drive myself back home the next day. Spent about a week or so on crutches with no weight and about another week using them just helping then I was walking on it. It just took me about 2 weeks to be walking again. I stayed off the bike for several months after but like Wade said about all I have noticed is a little less flexibility compared to the other one.
7eleven
7/13/2016 5:04pm
Everyone's injury will vary a bit, so find the right Dr or physical therapist who has experience w/ hip dislocation.
There's usually a lot of soft tissue damage and that takes time, so listen to what they say.
Sounds to me like he got off fairly easy, some dislocations are a nightmare! My injury was a disaster, but i put in the work and have about 95% back in 2 1/2 years. It was a game changer for my moto days, unfortunately.
Best of luck on the rehab!
-Austin

The Shop

Nikki641
7/14/2016 1:29am
Thanks for the replies! Just trying every positive way to keep him positive. I personally think he's doing great after only being discharged 2 days.
Thank you for the well wishes!

Post a reply to: Hip dislocation advice

The Latest