High Res Photos

Edited Date/Time 4/16/2013 7:37am
Hey guys i'm after some expert help Smile

How would I be able to locate high res versions of old mx photos, such a bubba on the 125 jumping the leap or chad and jeremy nac nac side by side. I want to get some canvas's made for my new place and need decent photos for the canvas's to look good
|
jamma10
4/15/2013 1:21am
You'd have to find out who took the shots and contact the original photographers.

I'm also keen to get some Canvasses made up at some point. I asked Kardy on here about using some of his pics once... but I didn't get a reply Sad
ando
4/15/2013 3:23am
As jamma said you'd have to contact the original photographer. Bear in mind though that if they were on assignment with a publication the photographer almost certainly won't own the image rights.

In any case, if you were serious, and wanted a serious response, it might be prudent actually pay for the images.
smrscott
4/15/2013 3:41am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2013 3:44am
Yea - find a shot you like - figure out who shot the photo - contact them - then pay them for the use of a high-res photo.

A lot of old school shots were on film from slides and will need to be scanned to create a digital file.

Most Freelance shooters own the rights to a photo unless a publication or company purchased 100% rights. If you work for a publication or were hired direct to do a shoot, they the photo person may or may not have rights to the images.

Good old school high res photo should run you $100-$800 depending on what you plan to do with it.

The Shop

4/15/2013 7:01pm
So if I find a photo and manage to get hold of who owns it, I should be able to buy a digital copy to then use at my own will?

Ok, now does anyone have any suggestions for photos. i'd love one with ricky, chad and james in the same photo
smrscott
4/15/2013 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2013 11:03pm
You often don't own a photo unless you pay a lot of $$. You can buy the rights to a photo to make a poster or something that is not going to be sold or used for promotion. Often times you can't buy the rights to use a photo and sell that image without the rights of the photographer or who is in the photo. If you use it for personal use - probably ok for a one-time use fee. If you sell a T-Shirt or use that photo to promote a product or make a poster to sell, you would need to get a release from the person in the image as well as the person that shot the photo.
You can use the likeness as an editorial/news piece (magazine, internet news piece, tabloid newspaper ......) if the image was shot in public or at an event the photographer had permission to be at. But that photographer or whoever buys the rights to use the image can't use that persons' photo to promote or sell any product with their likeness without written permission.
ando
4/16/2013 7:37am
So if I find a photo and manage to get hold of who owns it, I should be able to buy a digital copy to then...
So if I find a photo and manage to get hold of who owns it, I should be able to buy a digital copy to then use at my own will?

Ok, now does anyone have any suggestions for photos. i'd love one with ricky, chad and james in the same photo
Depends on what the copyright owner allows you to do. Ask GuyB, he's a prominent MX photographer in the US. If he can't help you directly he may know someone who can.

Post a reply to: High Res Photos

The Latest