High Point

Related:
Create New Tag

5/9/2020 3:55 PM

Did any one go to high point ride day today? What were the track conditions like , weather condtitions?

|

5/9/2020 5:40 PM

didnt go but i saw video and it looked like hard packed slop with little prep but that was just one section before the rollers

|

5/10/2020 1:20 AM

From what i saw it looked like nothing was "prepped", more of a gnnc type high point. Which was probably their intent...... id hope after seeing that. If it wasnt id want my money back (which would never happen there). Honestly you never know what you will get at high point unless its national weekend. I even stopped going to steel city a year before they closed because the prep was awful, and its 5 minutes from my house. Western PA motocross is dying, nicest tracks are private. I haven't always seen eye to eye with Cernic but i praise the guy for his efforts to keep moto alive around here.

|

5/10/2020 2:44 AM

Sauce96 wrote:

From what i saw it looked like nothing was "prepped", more of a gnnc type high point. Which was probably their intent...... id hope after seeing that. If it wasnt id want my money back (which would never happen there). Honestly you never know what you will get at high point unless its national weekend. I even stopped going to steel city a year before they closed because the prep was awful, and its 5 minutes from my house. Western PA motocross is dying, nicest tracks are private. I haven't always seen eye to eye with Cernic but i praise the guy for his efforts to keep moto alive around here.

Perspective.

I would fucking LOVE to ride that place as a grass track!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/10/2020 6:44 AM

Sauce96 wrote:

Crush wrote:

Perspective.

I would fucking LOVE to ride that place as a grass track!

Haha fat chance. High Point is rarely good besides the national weekend. Haven't made the trek to HP for years because of it.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/10/2020 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2020 10:21 PM

BobPA wrote:

Haha fat chance. High Point is rarely good besides the national weekend. Haven't made the trek to HP for years because of it.

Hence I said perspective. I'd love to ride it as grass because it's high point – AND because it's grass. I love grass track but what a track to be grass... gp style track.

Your perspective as a local, is probably like fuck this place it's never prepped.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/10/2020 7:54 AM

Don't get me wrong, it can be an awesome track.....really separates the men from the boys. But, I've gone there in a near drought and it ended up being a mud race. Also tends to be more hard packed than you'd think.

You'd think HP would be local (to me) because we are in the same state....but it is a nearly 5 drive from my house.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/10/2020 7:59 AM

|

5/10/2020 9:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2020 9:21 AM

It rained all Friday and then turned into snow early Saturday morning. We kept it grass because that's what everyone wanted, and after an hour of bikes on the track it tacked up nicely and was perfect. Fun but cold opening day after a long time waiting. Surprised someone who wasn't actually there comes on here and complains about perfect conditions...

Photo

DC
Racer X

|

5/10/2020 9:26 AM

Ouch...... looks great.

|

5/10/2020 9:26 AM

DC wrote:

It rained all Friday and then turned into snow early Saturday morning. We kept it grass because that's what everyone wanted, and after an hour of bikes on the track it tacked up nicely and was perfect. Fun but cold opening day after a long time waiting. Surprised someone who wasn't actually there comes on here and complains about perfect conditions...

Photo

DC
Racer X

Are you really “surprised” or just being sarcastic? 😂

|

5/10/2020 9:38 AM

Welcome to 2020, DC.

|

5/10/2020 9:39 AM

Yea, No shit DC.. people just suck..

|

5/10/2020 9:40 AM

And as Crush said, I'd love to ride it exactly as it was yesterday, I bet it was awesome starting on grass to begin with. I've no idea why people are against riding on grass, makes no sense.

|

5/10/2020 10:17 AM

DC wrote:

Photo

DC
Racer X

I would have loved to be there but other obligations stood in the way... I've been going to HP since the mid 80s and have raced HS/GNCC there since 1994, it looked awesome! DC showed photos online of the grass covering the track and the comments were overwhelming in favor of riding the grass... I applaud them for giving the riders the chance to ride the track in its "natural" state. Hopefully more chances like this will come in the future, Thanks!!

|

5/10/2020 10:21 AM

DC, may not be your responsibility but who decides if the track is left as grass or ripped up?

|

5/10/2020 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2020 10:37 AM

I personally thought it turned out awesome. I was running sweep laps on the woods loop and it also got really good after everyone started turning laps. When I checked the course first thing in the morning, it was slick but the conditions on my final sweep lap to close the course were epic.

Also popped over and rode a lap on the Moto track later in the day. It was really good!

We typically don’t plant grass on the track, but I imagine this will become a yearly tradition.

|

Jared Bolton
gnccracing.com

5/10/2020 10:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2020 10:41 AM

Wow how awesome! Moto in its truest form! Reminds me of Unadilla amateur days in mid 1990’s. First big bike class got first dibs on the fresh grass in practice.... by the time my 80cc classes got there turn a few sessions later it was already turned over rich loam soil with knee high kickers and ruts 5 deep. It was struggle street for me back then just getting around the track cause it was so gnarly all weekend

|

5/10/2020 11:03 AM

Snapper wrote:

DC, may not be your responsibility but who decides if the track is left as grass or ripped up?

I think my brother-in-law Jeff Russell made the decision, based on all of the rain and the fact that people really wanted to ride it while it was all covered in grass. Had they disked it up before the rain on Friday and Saturday morning it would have been a muddy mess. Instead, with the track sealed, the rain mostly ran off, and with the wind blowing all day, it dried out and tacked up well.

DC
Racer X

|

5/10/2020 11:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2020 11:28 AM

Pretty cool High Point even had a ride day, which rarely happens. Then throw in all of the covid-19 stuff and yet people find something to bitch about.

|

5/10/2020 3:24 PM

Looks awesome, I’d love to ride a grass moto track.

|

5/10/2020 4:02 PM

DC wrote:

I think my brother-in-law Jeff Russell made the decision, based on all of the rain and the fact that people really wanted to ride it while it was all covered in grass. Had they disked it up before the rain on Friday and Saturday morning it would have been a muddy mess. Instead, with the track sealed, the rain mostly ran off, and with the wind blowing all day, it dried out and tacked up well.

DC
Racer X

How cool for you and the family to open up the track while still covered in grass.

|

5/10/2020 6:10 PM

Sauce96 wrote:

Breezewood is pretty awesome. Plus "it's always Sunny in Breezewood".

|

5/10/2020 6:28 PM

Looks good DC wish I had the ability to ride the track and cry about it like these guys.

Thank you for opening and keeping Moto Alive as we know no one is getting rich on a practice day. If I could ride I would have been there to ride the epic grass conditions.

|

5/10/2020 10:09 PM

DC wrote:

Photo

DC
Racer X

I would have given my left nut to have had the chance to ride the track as it was presented. Motocross wet dream right there.

|

"If you don't put your work ahead of your talent, you won't win." Mike Babcock

5/10/2020 10:24 PM

That looks so fun!

Always loved riding on grass tracks!

|

Cheers, Crush

5/11/2020 4:20 AM

After we blew the grass off it was greasy for about a half hour but after that - sun came out and it was motocross heaven all day. I love that place.

You guys really gonna complain about track prep when we haven't been able to ride all spring? That's not very motocross of you.

|

5/11/2020 4:26 AM

DC wrote:

Photo

DC
Racer X

Looks pretty mint to me smile

|

5/11/2020 6:36 AM

You can never make all the people happy when it comes to track prep.

|

5/11/2020 6:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2020 6:52 AM

Snapper wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X

Cool. It looks so good and how tracks should be. Seeding tracks does wonders for the soil. What are the chances of running the national as all grass (if it grows back that is)?

|