High Blood Pressure

Jardo
2/3/2022 6:52am
I apologize if this has already been a topic. If it was, I couldn't find it.

Long story short:

My blood pressure has been borderline 'high blood pressure' for a few years and I'm pretty sure my doctor is going to put me on meds for it.

How is these med's going to affect riding and arm pump?

Thanks
|
2/3/2022 6:59am
I have been on BP meds for 4 years. No difference for me.
Dr Wario
2/3/2022 7:19am
Jardo wrote:
I apologize if this has already been a topic. If it was, I couldn't find it. Long story short: My blood pressure has been borderline 'high...

Long story short:

My blood pressure has been borderline 'high blood pressure' for a few years and I'm pretty sure my doctor is going to put me on meds for it.

Thanks
Depends on the medication. Speak to your doc about your concerns and he can choose the best option for you. Good luck! (Avoid beta blockers)
MXracr157
2/3/2022 7:35am
Jardo wrote:
I apologize if this has already been a topic. If it was, I couldn't find it. Long story short: My blood pressure has been borderline 'high...

Long story short:

Thanks
Dr Wario wrote:
Depends on the medication. Speak to your doc about your concerns and he can choose the best option for you. Good luck! (Avoid beta blockers)
I just started meds (beta blocker) and seemed to notice a (negative) difference. May have to get with my doc soon to evaluate options.
2/3/2022 7:55am
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
Before you go on the meds.
Stop eating the all american breakfast everyday if you are.
Switch to oatmeal in the am
No more bacon, eggs, milk, hash browns, and mainly beef.
And check out the book Eat Right For Your Blood Type

The Shop

sumdood
2/3/2022 8:02am
Before you go on the meds. Stop eating the all american breakfast everyday if you are. Switch to oatmeal in the am No more bacon, eggs...
Different diets for different blood types is a thing ?
2/3/2022 8:08am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2022 8:08am
Before you go on the meds. Stop eating the all american breakfast everyday if you are. Switch to oatmeal in the am No more bacon, eggs...
sumdood wrote:
Different diets for different blood types is a thing ?
Yea. Example: Some blood types more sensitive to inflammatory processes, certain foods will exacerbate that…dairy real inflammatory. Etc.
Falcon
2/3/2022 8:08am
^ Any blood type would benefit from a better diet, however.

Eat right and your body will thank you!
disbanded
2/3/2022 8:26am
You might have to experiment with different meds to find the right one for you. My high bp turned out to be more hereditary than bad diet. I took one blood pressure med and I got dizzy every time I stood up. It was so bad that I wouldn't even climb a ladder to change a light bulb. I told the doc and he immediately switched meds and the new med works like a charm.
OldPro277
2/3/2022 8:44am
I'm 62 and have been on 12.5mcg of HCTZ for several years and haven't noticed any different in arm pump--- meaning I still get it badly if I have a death-grip on the bars the first couple laps,lol.

Georgie can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hydrochlorothiazide is just a mild diuretic though ,so I'm not sure what effect it would have other than peeing a little more. But just about every Vet rider I know that is on BP meds seem to be on different ones or different combos. I guess thats where the blood type/body composition comes into play ??
Motodave15
2/3/2022 9:13am
Im trying to get the hell off of these things.. I take two Hydrochlothiazide and Amoldipine....very low doses of both but fuck man, Amoldipine messed with me for a solid month... and still does from time to time. I started this stuff in october so its new to me.

I've ridden one time and everything was ok (I have not raced on this stuff yet). I do know if i dont eat after taking it, amoldipine gives me like a stomach ache/feeling crappy for a few hours.. then it goes away.

Im definitely going to check out that book that was posted though.
murph783
2/3/2022 9:30am
I’ve been on em for a couple years and don’t notice a difference. I was also a complete booze bag so now that I quit drinking it’s coming down, and I’m hoping to the point that I can come off them. I’d go the diet and exercise route before meds, but to each their own. Zero difference with riding though, and I’m on amlodypine as well
wvumounty
2/3/2022 9:39am
Cut back on the salt (sodium) intake. Lunch meat, soups, chips etc are high in salt. The salt causes you to retain water. HCTZ just makes you pee out the water.
Hypertension is not good for your heart and vessels. If you could lower your BP by diet you may be able to avoid meds.
There are weird things that can cause high BP like renal artery stenosis, pheochromocytoma etc but majority is just due to essential hypertension.
mxfuture
2/3/2022 9:42am
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
my wife has hbp

she drinks beet juice and has recently had the best bp reading at a dr. checkup in a long time..
b8res
2/3/2022 11:30am
Been on BP meds for several years, ride and race at least 2-3 times a month. My meds don't effect my riding, but as others have pointed out, eating clean really helps check out the D.A.S.H ... Google it... maybe something to look into. Also purchase your own BP machine and check it regularly as a maintenance item.

Good luck
b8res
2/3/2022 11:32am
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
mxfuture wrote:
my wife has hbp

she drinks beet juice and has recently had the best bp reading at a dr. checkup in a long time..
The red beets helps, I've been on a red beet supplement and it is noticeable in my BP readings.
mxfuture
2/3/2022 11:39am
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
mxfuture wrote:
my wife has hbp

b8res wrote:
The red beets helps, I've been on a red beet supplement and it is noticeable in my BP readings.
good to hear. My wifes BP at times was bad enough that she could feel it in her right shoulder/arm when it was excessively high. Since taking the beet juice that issue has disappeared.

AND FOR ANYONE thinking that not taking HBP medication is an option;

Her father had a stroke because he did just that. He passed 5 years later...
DB505
2/3/2022 1:46pm
I’m borderline also, or was! according to my Dr,
I have had some good success by eating better and working out more, using supplements that help lower BP,
neysbo
2/3/2022 2:04pm
I had no idea I had borderline high blood pressure until last spring and had a routine eye exam where they actually checked it and it was pretty high so went to my regular Dr and they put me on the Hydrochlorothiazide pills which as mentioned already are just a water pill but the Dr told me that with self discipline I would not to be on them long term.

Bottom line no notice in arm pump or my riding but it did get me to get my act together.

1. Cut way back on beer and booze
2. More exercise
3. Better diet , cut out salt and lots of proceesed foods.
4. Cut out diet soda.

Now less than a year later , no more high BP , no more medicine, lost 20 plus pounds, feel great

Pit Row

Hammer 663s
2/3/2022 2:15pm
Mine makes me have to pee too damn much, always right when I get to the gate. That's about it. Hydrocholorothiazide and Lisinopril. Been on them for years - hereditary HBP. I eat right and am quite fit for 60 but that only helps a little with my BP. Genetics are the dominant factor in my case.
MotoX85
2/3/2022 2:22pm
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
No change. Been on them for years.
2/3/2022 2:52pm
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
Yeah Buddy a simple thing like oat meal is great for ya. I eat it every morning. A old timer yrs ago told me he failed his dot physical the dr told him go home and eat oatmeal. That’s all he ate for a week, he lowered it 40 points. Trucking is more stressful than being in charge of the world’s largest const project on worlds strongest hhg rig with 4 unions on strike in Phily. While breaking a new world record on the longest drill ever. I deal with stress really good. I only drink water but I add xtend a powder for muscle recovery daily about a gal of that. Diet of heat lamp food double cheese burgers, cold sandwiches. Little Debbie brownies and a crap ton of caffeine pills and coffee. I,m usually 116-123 ovr 62. Work 23.5 hrs straight usually 2-4 months then take a week off. Then it’s body rehab time ymca pool, whirl pool, sauna for hrs and stretching. No working out but maybe sit-ups. Unless I hv more time off. Epson salt baths next morning I dump 20 lbs of ice in the tub. And soak for a few min off and on.
crusher773
2/3/2022 4:22pm
I haven't noticed any difference in arm pump. Make sure you test it out before riding. I just happened to have a stress test right after going on it just because I wanted to know how things were. Passed the test great but setting there after and I passed out and woke up to a ton of people in the room talking code blue and crash carts and shit. So what the doc had put me on was way too aggressive for my age and it tanked me when my heart rate went up. Literally almost killed me. It's a good thing I had requested that stress test because if I hadn't the next time my heart rate would have been that high would have been out riding with my son at the track. So get your heart rate up before riding just in case.
Cajun Doc
2/3/2022 8:08pm
Jardo wrote:

Long story short:

Thanks
Internist here. Few quick tips, some of which has already been mentioned.

1) Make sure you truly have high BP. The best way to do this is get a BP cuff for home, take your pressure in a calm environment, write it down. Do this for a week or two and bring those readings to your doctor. This is the true blood pressure you should be treating (or not treating). Doctors office is anxiety provoking and can lead to white coat HTN.

Once confirmed….
2) Decrease your sodium intake. This isn’t just about adding salt and eating fast food. Look at the amount of sodium in frozen, processed and canned foods.
3) If you smoke, stop.
4) Lots of meds to choose from. Beta blockers not the best first choice in my opinion UNLESS you have another reason to be on one such as heart failure or a-fib. I like ACE-inhibitors such as Lisinopril or ARBs such as losartan to start off with. Amlodipine is good too. Each can have common side effects. HCTZ good too. Many many options and you and your doc need to find the one right for you.
5) Treat other underlying conditions such as sleep apnea appropriately. Lose weight (even if just a little). Goes a very long way.
6) Don’t ignore it. Highly treatable disease that goes a very long way.
7) Under recognized—treat underlying chronic pain you have however should avoid NSAIDs like ibuprofen, BC powder, etc in excess. Use these only in moderation for short periods of time as they worsen HTN.

Hope this helps—good luck!

Post a reply to: High Blood Pressure

The Latest

The Latest