Herlings really?

trb989
7/19/2014 1:03am
Well, both GP and nationals tracks looks smoother on a screen of your computer than they really are. GP tracks are ridiculously brutal but i have no reason to think US national tracks are not, i bet they are. Maybe little different kind of brutal but Herlings can handle it. I saw him ride first time last weekend at Finnish GP which is really brutal even on a GP scale and he is totally next level.. its unreal.

Im not a fan of him, but im sorry, your guys are going to have a really really hard weekend. Laughing
Trauma
7/19/2014 1:07am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 1:08am
bobby397 wrote:
Assuming you are talking about the interview where he says he's lapped barcia and baggett so he should be good?
I knew that line would take pretty well. He's taking a page out of Reed's angling handbook.
7/19/2014 1:09am
This is not Herlings best type of track. If he were racing Milleville...I would pick JH for the win. But Unadilla....LONG LONG ruts. Then there is...
This is not Herlings best type of track. If he were racing Milleville...I would pick JH for the win. But Unadilla....LONG LONG ruts. Then there is those aggro starts in the 250 class. Very little time for him to learn the track. I said previously...5-2 for 3rd overall...which is pretty awesome.
Robgvx wrote:
Ruts at Unadilla you say? Not Herlings' type of track? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/19/60210/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/19/60211/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/19/60212/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Ruts at Unadilla you say? Not Herlings' type of track?

Can you read? I said not his BEST type of track. I guess subtle points of language and wording are beyond Vital readers.

He is going to do well...but I dont think he gets an overall...mainly due to the short short practice time. The overall pace of the event...and how quickly you have to be on it will be the biggest adjustment for him...and it will be enough to keep him from winning.

The Shop

7/19/2014 1:49am
you guys should just be glad you get to see jeffrey come and race- none of the ama riders would come and race a gp as a one off race. Regardless of the result- at least he's got the balls to go and race the 'other' series out of his comfort zone!

do i think he will win? yes he will go 1-1. All the odds are against him- the fact he's never ridden the track before and all the other contenders have at least one full race weekend round there, the fact he's racing a different bike, different series, jetlag etc. He will still win in my opinion- he's THAT good!!! just hope we get to see a good battle between all the top guys

pourcel absolutely hauls at unadilla and is improving every week- i think he will be the only one herlings needs to worry about!!
7/19/2014 3:27am
bobby397 wrote:
Assuming you are talking about the interview where he says he's lapped barcia and baggett so he should be good?
Trauma wrote:
I knew that line would take pretty well. He's taking a page out of Reed's angling handbook.
The thing is he is speaking fact, not shit, and people (mostly Americans) jump all over it like it's an insult. It isn't, that's just him getting his message out there that he has beaten them before and hopes/plans/expects to do it again, this time at home and where excuses are limited, what's wrong with a bit of fingering to get people excited?

Haters just ask yourselves, is a racer that speaks his mind not what we want?

I just hope for a clean race as he can be as dirty as anybody if people choose to railroad him, he has a target on his back from racers clearly but more than that I can hear him getting shit from the USA fans already which will be in poor taste and a shame, although i expect this will only fire him up even more, and you don't want that.

Any so called MX fan saying he can't ride a track that's not sand, my advice is to watch more racing.
7/19/2014 3:30am
This is not Herlings best type of track. If he were racing Milleville...I would pick JH for the win. But Unadilla....LONG LONG ruts. Then there is...
This is not Herlings best type of track. If he were racing Milleville...I would pick JH for the win. But Unadilla....LONG LONG ruts. Then there is those aggro starts in the 250 class. Very little time for him to learn the track. I said previously...5-2 for 3rd overall...which is pretty awesome.
Robgvx wrote:
Ruts at Unadilla you say? Not Herlings' type of track? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/19/60210/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/19/60211/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/19/60212/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Ruts at Unadilla you say? Not Herlings' type of track?

Can you read? I said not his BEST type of track. I guess subtle points of language and wording are beyond Vital readers. He is going...
Can you read? I said not his BEST type of track. I guess subtle points of language and wording are beyond Vital readers.

He is going to do well...but I dont think he gets an overall...mainly due to the short short practice time. The overall pace of the event...and how quickly you have to be on it will be the biggest adjustment for him...and it will be enough to keep him from winning.
Watched any qualifying races at the GP's? JH gets up to pace immediately, a shortened schedule won't be his nemesis IMO.

Ego may be his biggest enemy, and his inability to accept anything less than #1
Surly100
7/19/2014 4:04am
Hi guys. First post on VitalMX.

Even as a fan of the GP series, I think Herlings will do well to get the overall today.

He's riding an unfamiliar track, in an unfamiliar format, in unfamiliar surroundings; he's not on his usual race bike; and the competition will be of a higher standard than the competition he faces in MX2-GP.

Since Roczen and Searle left/graduated from that class, he's basically had it all his own way, and I don't think there's anyone currently riding in MX-GP2 (apart from Herlings himself) who has the pace of a Baggett, Martin or even a Pourcel or Wilson.

And while I do think Herlings is clearly a world class talent, the lack of any challenge to him maybe gives an impression that he's much better than he actually is.

If he does win, then props to him, but i'll be surprised and majorly impressed if it happens.
kongols
7/19/2014 4:09am
Surly100 wrote:
Hi guys. First post on VitalMX. Even as a fan of the GP series, I think Herlings will do well to get the overall today. He's...
Hi guys. First post on VitalMX.

Even as a fan of the GP series, I think Herlings will do well to get the overall today.

He's riding an unfamiliar track, in an unfamiliar format, in unfamiliar surroundings; he's not on his usual race bike; and the competition will be of a higher standard than the competition he faces in MX2-GP.

Since Roczen and Searle left/graduated from that class, he's basically had it all his own way, and I don't think there's anyone currently riding in MX-GP2 (apart from Herlings himself) who has the pace of a Baggett, Martin or even a Pourcel or Wilson.

And while I do think Herlings is clearly a world class talent, the lack of any challenge to him maybe gives an impression that he's much better than he actually is.

If he does win, then props to him, but i'll be surprised and majorly impressed if it happens.
Herlings doesn't race today.
Surly100
7/19/2014 4:16am
kongols wrote:
Herlings doesn't race today.
Ahh, yeah . . . August 9th. Still, point stands. Be very surprised if he was just to waltz over and blow everyone away.
Crush
7/19/2014 4:43am
Not many results you could tell me he'd get and i'd be surprised.

He's coming in short, changing series, lots of pressure, different event, different comp– any sort of bad result, yep I can see that.

On the other hand he's incredibly talented, rides with a chip on his shoulder and probably wants to make a statement–any sort of amazing result, yep I can see that.

Can't wait to watch him race some people tho! Might be the key!
conwaymx
7/19/2014 4:49am
I'm really nervous for Herlings. His first time racing in a proper series, with the best riders in the world, on tracks like nothing ever seen in the rest of the world. He's going to really struggle to beat everyone.

or not
7/19/2014 4:50am
Listen I just wanted to get something started. I like hearing about riding. Cus you can't turn espn on and hear anything good. JH84 is much...
Listen I just wanted to get something started. I like hearing about riding. Cus you can't turn espn on and hear anything good. JH84 is much more of a athlete then anyone on espn because they don't show hockey or riding. But I root for America. I wanna see bar banging just like anyone else. We'll see this weekend if Baggett can handle JM19 on his home track. Maybe even see Alex M55. In top 5. Should interesting. I'll be getting rowdy for regardless.
Is this post available in English?
7/19/2014 5:00am
I'm no Herlings fan but whether you're from USA, Europe or wherever it's clear that he is an exceptional talent and very fast on any track.

I think he deserves a bit more respect from some here for having the courage to go over and pit himself against the Americans. He's risking a lot of credibility by doing this and I don't see Bagget & co making plans to race a GP any time soon.
Surly100
7/19/2014 5:10am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 5:22am
I'm no Herlings fan but whether you're from USA, Europe or wherever it's clear that he is an exceptional talent and very fast on any track...
I'm no Herlings fan but whether you're from USA, Europe or wherever it's clear that he is an exceptional talent and very fast on any track.

I think he deserves a bit more respect from some here for having the courage to go over and pit himself against the Americans. He's risking a lot of credibility by doing this and I don't see Bagget & co making plans to race a GP any time soon.
This is all true, and I think if he ever does move to the U.S. permanently, he's more than capable of winning an AMA championship or two.

It's just that in a one-off race, it seems a big ask, for the reasons already stated.

I mean, it took Roczen - who was at least as fast as Herlings is now when he moved to the U.S., and who had months to acclimatise - until his 10th race (at Unadilla 2012, funnily enough) to even win a moto.
7/19/2014 5:22am
Im not a herlings fan, just dont see enough of him in the U S but that boy rides "angry" i like that about him, and i like his swagger, i think hes gna put on a show at dilla, and its gna open "his" eyes and "where," "the U S" are gna have that boy signed on a team for 15. Imo, ktm loses roczen, and gives herlings a blank check and says what ever it takes to come to the U S.
machine
7/19/2014 5:22am
I'm no Herlings fan but whether you're from USA, Europe or wherever it's clear that he is an exceptional talent and very fast on any track...

Surly100 wrote:
This is all true, and I think if he ever does move to the U.S. permanently, he's more than capable of winning an AMA championship or...
This is all true, and I think if he ever does move to the U.S. permanently, he's more than capable of winning an AMA championship or two.

It's just that in a one-off race, it seems a big ask, for the reasons already stated.

I mean, it took Roczen - who was at least as fast as Herlings is now when he moved to the U.S., and who had months to acclimatise - until his 10th race (at Unadilla 2012, funnily enough) to even win a moto.
I agree with both of you on this...
machine
7/19/2014 5:27am
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm not sure how JH884 will do.....but I "hope" he gets his ass handed to him! And BTW....guys like JM19 and CW37....have only been there what....once....ever...
I'm not sure how JH884 will do.....but I "hope" he gets his ass handed to him!

And BTW....guys like JM19 and CW37....have only been there what....once....ever? There aint no home track advantage either!
jeffro503 wrote:
As far as that goes.....If Bagget has caught wind of what Herrlings has said.....he's going to destroy him.
If I were Mitch, I would print that shit off poster size and hang it on the inside of the rigs exit door...Grinning
MX690
7/19/2014 5:43am
DonM wrote:
I think he can win, but he will have his challenges. Adjusting to the short practices and short time between motos will be tough, but his...
I think he can win, but he will have his challenges. Adjusting to the short practices and short time between motos will be tough, but his toughest challenge will be the longer track with lap times around 2:15-2:20 opposed to the mini tracks he's used to that are 1:45-1:55 in length.
So 35 minutes on a long track is longer than 35 minutes on a short track?
Zracer
7/19/2014 5:58am

Surly100 wrote:
This is all true, and I think if he ever does move to the U.S. permanently, he's more than capable of winning an AMA championship or...

Wierd. Kroc barely beat Herlings even though 84 was even younger than 94. But you say Herlings is the same speed now as Kroc in 2011. How the hell do you figure that? You think 84 is no faster now than when he was 16?
7/19/2014 6:18am

This! Not a Herlings fan either, but got to admire his talent, speed, and interest to do a one-off race in AMA nationals! All I can hope is all indians are in the canoe when it's time to hit the last rapids!
Surly100
7/19/2014 6:35am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 6:36am
Zracer wrote:
Wierd. Kroc barely beat Herlings even though 84 was even younger than 94. But you say Herlings is the same speed now as Kroc in 2011...
Wierd. Kroc barely beat Herlings even though 84 was even younger than 94. But you say Herlings is the same speed now as Kroc in 2011. How the hell do you figure that? You think 84 is no faster now than when he was 16?
Roczen may have 'only' won by 19 points in 2011, but that was with 2 DNFs to Herlings' 0, and after racing the last round on a 125. He was easily the fastest rider in the series that season, and the final points total perhaps doesn't reflect that.

Bear in mind as well that Roczen had much tougher competition to contend with - Paulin, Searle, Herlings himself, Osborne - than Herlings does at the moment. That means more pressure, more impetus to push, and so more chances to make mistakes than if you're just cruising out front for 95% of a moto.

So yeah, I think Roczen was as fast when he moved to the 'States as Herlings is now.

Again, I do rate Herlings very highly, but let's not underestimate how quick Roczen was and is.

Zracer
7/19/2014 6:44am
Zracer wrote:
Wierd. Kroc barely beat Herlings even though 84 was even younger than 94. But you say Herlings is the same speed now as Kroc in 2011...
Surly100 wrote:
Roczen may have 'only' won by 19 points in 2011, but that was with 2 DNFs to Herlings' 0, and after racing the last round on...
Roczen may have 'only' won by 19 points in 2011, but that was with 2 DNFs to Herlings' 0, and after racing the last round on a 125. He was easily the fastest rider in the series that season, and the final points total perhaps doesn't reflect that.

Bear in mind as well that Roczen had much tougher competition to contend with - Paulin, Searle, Herlings himself, Osborne - than Herlings does at the moment. That means more pressure, more impetus to push, and so more chances to make mistakes than if you're just cruising out front for 95% of a moto.

So yeah, I think Roczen was as fast when he moved to the 'States as Herlings is now.

Again, I do rate Herlings very highly, but let's not underestimate how quick Roczen was and is.

You actually made some really good points that I cant deny. I guess we will see in a few weeks how it pans out.
HenryA
7/19/2014 6:48am
Zracer wrote:
Both are born 1994.
Paul1PA
7/19/2014 7:01am
While Herlings obviously excels on sand tracks, he can ride any surface as others have stated. Check out this video of him practicing on hard pack...damn he hauls!!!

DonM
7/19/2014 7:01am
DonM wrote:
I think he can win, but he will have his challenges. Adjusting to the short practices and short time between motos will be tough, but his...
I think he can win, but he will have his challenges. Adjusting to the short practices and short time between motos will be tough, but his toughest challenge will be the longer track with lap times around 2:15-2:20 opposed to the mini tracks he's used to that are 1:45-1:55 in length.
MX690 wrote:
So 35 minutes on a long track is longer than 35 minutes on a short track?
No, but 30 minutes plus two on a longer track is...But that's not my point....typically AMA races are 3 laps shorter than GP races, but longer in time (since the GP's have switched to 30+2 this year). The point was that because the tracks are longer it means longer straights, more sweeping corners, places where there is higher speed and higher speed creates a different type of rough and with less time to get used to it because of the fast pace of the day it will be tough for him. With all that I think he can still win and if he does it certainly won't be by the minute plus that he beats his GP competitors by....he actually may even enjoy being challenged, all true competitors do.
Crush
7/19/2014 7:08am
Paul1PA wrote:
While Herlings obviously excels on sand tracks, he can ride any surface as others have stated. Check out this video of him practicing on hard pack...damn...
While Herlings obviously excels on sand tracks, he can ride any surface as others have stated. Check out this video of him practicing on hard pack...damn he hauls!!!

How tall is he? He does look pretty big on the bike compared to some....

Post a reply to: Herlings really?

The Latest