Herlings racing Nats?

FerCzD
5/14/2021 6:02am
You don't luck into 3 MXGP championships. Gajser is legit. As him being underrated, here in the forums could be; however just take a look at the crowd supporting him where it matters: at the races. It's amazing how much following he has, and then of course back in Slovenia he is a recognized national figure.
BobPA
5/14/2021 8:20am
FerCzD wrote:
You don't luck into 3 MXGP championships. Gajser is legit. As him being underrated, here in the forums could be; however just take a look at...
You don't luck into 3 MXGP championships. Gajser is legit. As him being underrated, here in the forums could be; however just take a look at the crowd supporting him where it matters: at the races. It's amazing how much following he has, and then of course back in Slovenia he is a recognized national figure.
Agreed. He's earned every title he has. My only gripe with Tim is the crashing...and they are usually big ones. You can only ragdoll so many times before it catches up with you. But, who am I to judge? The dude makes it work, and has completely defied the crashing odds for a long time now.

The Shop

shuggs
5/14/2021 10:45am
BobPA wrote:
Agreed. He's earned every title he has. My only gripe with Tim is the crashing...and they are usually big ones. You can only ragdoll so many...
Agreed. He's earned every title he has. My only gripe with Tim is the crashing...and they are usually big ones. You can only ragdoll so many times before it catches up with you. But, who am I to judge? The dude makes it work, and has completely defied the crashing odds for a long time now.
What if he knows how to land at a crash?? Used to play soccer with a guy that was into judo and whenever tackled hard he just could ‘roll’ and be back on his feet instantly to everyone’s surprise
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
5/14/2021 11:21am
FerCzD wrote:
You don't luck into 3 MXGP championships. Gajser is legit. As him being underrated, here in the forums could be; however just take a look at...
BobPA wrote:
Agreed. He's earned every title he has. My only gripe with Tim is the crashing...and they are usually big ones. You can only ragdoll so many...
You know he had big crashes that hurt him in 2017 and 18 right?
FlaNard
5/15/2021 11:19am
Any truth in him riding the British champs next week?
I’m hoping he rides at Canada Heights.
Herlings confirmed for the Canadian Nationals.
That would be awesome for so many reasons. Laughing
xrmark
5/15/2021 2:18pm
Bearuno wrote:
Yes - see the various covered spaces. Well, they were for spectators. They were chockers, and, at places, there was a reasonable amount of people at...
Yes - see the various covered spaces.

Well, they were for spectators. They were chockers, and, at places, there was a reasonable amount of people at the fences. Though, that was mainly us 'Whities', being 'Mad' and getting baked / roasted in the sun.

The track itself - well, a 'pop up', that wasn't too bad - it was much like a typical Southern California track. I'd put it not that far behind a place like Pala, but nothing like GH.

As I said, I've gone to the Indo GPs, and you, I think, have not.

It's a cheap trip, in an incredibly interesting place, that, "She Who Must Be Obeyed" really likes to go to. With travel restrictions, this year I'll miss out on them, and my usual Euro sojourn for the GPs and other MC races. Bit of a bummer, but, that's how it goes. Next year........

Bit late but surely you’re not comparing this track to Pala?? Lol Pala isn’t a pop up track. Go there on national day and tell me this is anything like it. Shit go there on a Tuesday and it’s a National. Pala is legit.
smee113
5/15/2021 2:49pm
I think it takes some real mental gymnastics to argue the Nationals are better than the GPs at this point.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
5/17/2021 1:46am
smee113 wrote:
I think it takes some real mental gymnastics to argue the Nationals are better than the GPs at this point.
AMA still an old school good old days motocross series and I like it.
ScooterD
5/17/2021 10:49am
Until we see these guys racing the same series for the same championship we will never have an excuse free debate or a legit head to head race. I do feel the GP's contain faster riders. The AMA politics cause a lot of unseen issues.
smee113
5/17/2021 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 2:40pm
smee113 wrote:
WCRider wrote:
AMA still an old school good old days motocross series and I like it.
I guess "better" is a matter of perspective.

I was more referring to the people that were trying to downplay Herlings by saying "Tomac beat a guy who once beat Herlings" and ignoring Herlings 7-1 record against him straight-up. Or then dismissing that record by saying that Tomac "wasn't really trying" because he was either "racing for the championship" or "didn't really care about the USGP/MXdN", and not applying the same logic to Herlings in the reverse situation.

Like, who is that kind of logic satisfying?

But whatever, it doesn't matter to me; I enjoy both series and I don't really care whose better. I just don't get trying to argue things that are pretty apparently untrue.
kage173
5/17/2021 2:57pm
ScooterD wrote:
Until we see these guys racing the same series for the same championship we will never have an excuse free debate or a legit head to...
Until we see these guys racing the same series for the same championship we will never have an excuse free debate or a legit head to head race. I do feel the GP's contain faster riders. The AMA politics cause a lot of unseen issues.
We know exactly what happens. Roczen and Musquin were the two best GP riders of their generation. They won 3 MX2 titles combined. They have been in the US for years now. We know exactly what happens.

bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
5/17/2021 4:50pm
cable wrote:
would he still embarass our guys with an AMA spec bike? I think so.
It’s amazing that the we still have the production rule. Spec bikes are the laughing stock of the industry. I
ScooterD
5/17/2021 5:19pm
kage173 wrote:
We know exactly what happens. Roczen and Musquin were the two best GP riders of their generation. They won 3 MX2 titles combined. They have been...
We know exactly what happens. Roczen and Musquin were the two best GP riders of their generation. They won 3 MX2 titles combined. They have been in the US for years now. We know exactly what happens.

You mean, Marv has to pull over for RD5 while in his prime and Kenny has 2 massive arm injuries. All part of the sport, I would love to see these guys battle while in their prime.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
5/17/2021 5:28pm
ScooterD wrote:
Until we see these guys racing the same series for the same championship we will never have an excuse free debate or a legit head to...
kage173 wrote:
We know exactly what happens. Roczen and Musquin were the two best GP riders of their generation. They won 3 MX2 titles combined. They have been...

Then you have guys like Tyla Rattray that were amazing over there, and never really got it going over here, then went back and were a hollow shell of their old form. It's just... different.

I also remember Cairoli's first venture over here at the 07 MXoNat Budds, he was like a fish out of water in the deep tilled soil. He had it figured out next time he came back in 2010 Colorado MXoN.
5/17/2021 10:41pm
Having the MXGP guys racing AMA nationals would be like the semi repaired F 1 driver racing last weekend in the Indy car series. No lime in the car, qualifies first and finishes second.
jemcee
5/18/2021 1:16am
davis224 wrote:
Then you have guys like Tyla Rattray that were amazing over there, and never really got it going over here, then went back and were a...
Then you have guys like Tyla Rattray that were amazing over there, and never really got it going over here, then went back and were a hollow shell of their old form. It's just... different.

I also remember Cairoli's first venture over here at the 07 MXoNat Budds, he was like a fish out of water in the deep tilled soil. He had it figured out next time he came back in 2010 Colorado MXoN.
I don't really remember what exactly happened with Cairoli at Budds and I'm not havin a go at ya but when you said 'fish out of water' I remembered this pic haha

And this one prob shows why his results might not have been excellent (not to mention shows the usual Australian luck)

Bearuno
5/18/2021 1:37am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2021 2:12am
davis224 wrote:
Then you have guys like Tyla Rattray that were amazing over there, and never really got it going over here, then went back and were a...

Cairoli a fish out of water at Budds Creek MXDN?

Go find video of the event. The track was far from a deeply tilled / chocolate cake one. Cairolis' bike / the Italian Teams (and a couple of others) were held in customs (someone had packed food in his / or the other Italian riders bike crates), so, he / the team had buggerall practice.

He got 2nd to Villo in the MX2 qualifier, coming through from a bad start.

His first Moto, he hit Billy Mackenzie over a jump, damaging his brake (it was locking solid), and DNF'd.

2nd Moto, had a coming together with Michael Byrne in a corner, and damaging his front wheel into a rotating taco , so limped home in 14th.

So, no "fish out of water", just racings vicissitudes. S**t, happens. Dizzy

AC, with the MXDN, has either had crap 'luck', or, won his class, or, at least a moto. Feast or Famine, as they say.
Bearuno
5/18/2021 1:53am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2021 2:14am
jemcee wrote:
I don't really remember what exactly happened with Cairoli at Budds and I'm not havin a go at ya but when you said 'fish out of...
I don't really remember what exactly happened with Cairoli at Budds and I'm not havin a go at ya but when you said 'fish out of water' I remembered this pic haha

And this one prob shows why his results might not have been excellent (not to mention shows the usual Australian luck)

Sharky #32, got a trip to the hospital from this - broken vertebrae - AC got a crap start, what with being the filling in the 'sandwich' and having Sharky (Andrew MacFarlane) down in front of him, as shown in your picture. Villo, coming over from the right, as we look at it, off the line, holeshot - or at least came out of the first corner 2nd or 3rd, then went straight to 1st. The little Ranga was taking no prisoners that day - we Rangas can be nasty / hard bastards, at times Woohoo . It got him the 1:1.

Here's the lead up to Sharky being on the ground, with AC caught up with him.

jemcee
5/18/2021 2:11am
Bearuno wrote:
Sharky #32, got a trip to the hospital from this - broken vertebrae - AC got a crap start, what with being the filling in the...
Sharky #32, got a trip to the hospital from this - broken vertebrae - AC got a crap start, what with being the filling in the 'sandwich' and having Sharky (Andrew MacFarlane) down in front of him, as shown in your picture. Villo, coming over from the right, as we look at it, off the line, holeshot - or at least came out of the first corner 2nd or 3rd, then went straight to 1st. The little Ranga was taking no prisoners that day - we Rangas can be nasty / hard bastards, at times Woohoo . It got him the 1:1.

Here's the lead up to Sharky being on the ground, with AC caught up with him.

Haha yeah I've also got the full sequence saved.. I remember Toni was guilty of doing the same thing back in the day so maybe RV was thinking he'd beat him to it..
davis224
Fantasy
165th
5/18/2021 3:26am
davis224 wrote:

Bearuno wrote:
Cairoli a fish out of water at Budds Creek MXDN? Go find video of the event. The track was far from a deeply tilled / chocolate...
Cairoli a fish out of water at Budds Creek MXDN?

Go find video of the event. The track was far from a deeply tilled / chocolate cake one. Cairolis' bike / the Italian Teams (and a couple of others) were held in customs (someone had packed food in his / or the other Italian riders bike crates), so, he / the team had buggerall practice.

He got 2nd to Villo in the MX2 qualifier, coming through from a bad start.

His first Moto, he hit Billy Mackenzie over a jump, damaging his brake (it was locking solid), and DNF'd.

2nd Moto, had a coming together with Michael Byrne in a corner, and damaging his front wheel into a rotating taco , so limped home in 14th.

So, no "fish out of water", just racings vicissitudes. S**t, happens. Dizzy

AC, with the MXDN, has either had crap 'luck', or, won his class, or, at least a moto. Feast or Famine, as they say.
I'll say I didn't go back and check the results, but I have a vivid (but maybe flawed?) memory of him struggling in a deep freshly tilled corner in practice, and him mentioning in an interview he wasn't used to the style of prep.

Without going back to check, I have a memory of him being super far off of RV's times (like 9 seconds or something ridiculous like that) in the first practice, and being a red blooded chest thumping 18 year old American MX fan at the time, that was all the ammo I needed to declare Cairoli not being on RV's level. Then fast forward to 2015 and I bought a plane ticket to southern California as soon as I found out RV was going to race GPs and the finale was at Glen Helen, one final race between the two I fantasized coming down to the last round for the title... didn't work out but I still had a blast cheering Cairoli on up Mt St Helens! Also Gasjer catching my eye with his style, and Jessy Nelson just shredding the place.

Freddy
5/18/2021 4:01am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2021 4:02am
davis224 wrote:
I'll say I didn't go back and check the results, but I have a vivid (but maybe flawed?) memory of him struggling in a deep freshly...
I'll say I didn't go back and check the results, but I have a vivid (but maybe flawed?) memory of him struggling in a deep freshly tilled corner in practice, and him mentioning in an interview he wasn't used to the style of prep.

Without going back to check, I have a memory of him being super far off of RV's times (like 9 seconds or something ridiculous like that) in the first practice, and being a red blooded chest thumping 18 year old American MX fan at the time, that was all the ammo I needed to declare Cairoli not being on RV's level. Then fast forward to 2015 and I bought a plane ticket to southern California as soon as I found out RV was going to race GPs and the finale was at Glen Helen, one final race between the two I fantasized coming down to the last round for the title... didn't work out but I still had a blast cheering Cairoli on up Mt St Helens! Also Gasjer catching my eye with his style, and Jessy Nelson just shredding the place.

To be fair RV made everyone look like a fish out of water that weekend, RC was the only one in his level! 😅
ZOBITO
5/18/2021 12:22pm
ZOBITO wrote:
Meanwhile, Herlings is rumored to race the British Championship race in 10 days.

Confirmed.

Post a reply to: Herlings racing Nats?

The Latest