Herlings on MXGP, MXON, Tomac, Nationals and... keyboard warriors

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2018 2:19 AM

A bunch of GP victories, already three world motocross championships, and number four around the corner, the 23-year-old knows that only hard work will get the job done against Antonio Cairoli. We caught up with him today to talk about his preparation and also about the MXoN, set for America in October.

MXlarge: Firstly, how is it practicing in this heat?

Herlings: Being in Holland, you will know it is hot in Holland, and its 35 degrees, and we are not normally used to this weather. I am normally good in the heat and until now it hasn’t been a problem.

MXlarge: I know you ride a lot, but how is your week? Do you also get to do fun stuff outside of motocross?

Herlings: Obviously a lot of my time goes into training. I do two to three trainings a day, especially when there is riding involved, because you need to pack your stuff, get to the track, unpack, get yourself dressed, do a couple of sessions of riding, then pack again, drive yourself home and clean the stuff a bit. So then it’s a long day. The riding takes a lot of time, but in the evening with this good weather I like to spend time with friends or family and chill out a bit of do something fun. At the moment though most of the days are fully plans with trainings, it is something that I like to do.

MXlarge: So do you train like that every single day?

Herlings: For sure we try and have some days when it is a little calm. Monday after a GP I am not going to set the world on fire, just bicycle around and do some easier work, but now, because we have a free weekend coming up, we will have a block from Wednesday until Wednesday to train really hard and I feel like it’s a time I can push my body again to prepare for the GP. It also depends on the time and where I am in the world, and whatever the race will be, if it’s a hot race or whatever.

MXlarge: You have mentioned a couple of times this year how you feel Antonio and yourself are on a pace that nobody in the world could match, and while Antonio has dropped off that a little with his hand injury, you still seem to be on a crazy pace. Watching the AMA Nationals, it is clear Eli (Tomac) is really going fast, but even he doesn’t have the same intensity that you seem to have. Of course on his day, he can beat anyone. How much are you looking forward to racing him again?

Herlings: Definitely, it would be amazing. Of course on social media, the Americans keyboard warriors say they are better than us Europeans and it’s the same the other way around, the Europeans say we are better. I am cool with Tomac and I am cool with anyone. Of course it would be nice to battle Eli again, and I think he and Marvin and Kenny, those are the three main guys and its Tony and I in Europe. We go to their home turf, their tracks, but I am looking forward to it.

MXLarge: Do you know much about Redbud, and if you have, do you like it?

Herlings: Yes, I know the track, and I have seen the track for years. I follow the Nationals closely and I know the track and it looks amazing. A wide track, a fast track, really good for passing. Little sandy on the top it seems, nice big berms, at least that is how it looks on the computer. I think it’s a good track for me and the complete Dutch team. I can’t wait to go there.

MXlarge: Everyone in the paddock seems to be thinking that Vlaanderen will be riding for Holland. What is your opinion on that? That’s a possible winning team?

Herlings: It would be amazing if Calvin can join our team. In the past it’s been Glenn Coldenhoff, Brian Bogers and me, but obviously Brian is injured at the moment and we are all on 450s now anyway. Brian can’t ride because he is injured, so its probably a no go, and with Calvin he is very good at the moment, winning races and GPs and the Honda is strong also. I think we have a podium chance for sure.

MXLarge: I know you watch a lot of the MX2. Most of the guys in MXGP are getting older, who do you think is the next guy, the guy who might challenge you in the future? Prado maybe?

Herlings: Yes, he is the next big thing, let’s say. He is very talented and gifted, and he is already really good and only 17. Most likely or maybe he wins the championship this year, he has at least a 50% chance of winning the championship, then you are a talented boy and he should be the next big kid to move up and race for championships.

MXlarge: Is it possible to start to think about Assen and winning the championship there?

Herlings: That would be amazing, and when I was leading the championship by 62 points, that was realistic, but now, I had a 12-point lead and now its 30 points, but we still have four rounds before Assen and Italy after that. Tony is in good form, and he isn’t an easy guy to beat and he is very consistent. We have to really be on top of our game to win the championship in Assen, but I am not looking at the championship and planning things, because I know in this sport anything can happen and I would need some luck on my side.

MXlarge: I mentioned to you in a text that I was in Bali last week for a holiday after the two GPs and I was sitting in a bar and watching MXGP on television. A local Balinese guy came over and said to me; how good is that Herlings guy riding at the moment. I had to laugh, because here is this local guy, on a very touristic island in the middle of Asia, and he knows who you are. It seems to me that MXGP is now better known worldwide than even the American series, which for years was probably the best-known series in the world. How does that feel for you?

Herlings: I think its really good, Youthstream and the Luongo family are running it. Youthstream are doing a really good job with the championship and it is always growing. Obviously, it is a big calendar with 20 races and its hard for some teams to make all the rounds, but if you look how big the sport has gotten since Giuseppe and Youthstream, its just amazing. If you look at the World scene, how its developed, its simply been growing every year and getting bigger and bigger, but if you look at the main thing, its making the sport awesome and they are doing a really good job.

|

7/27/2018 2:34 AM

Herlings has Giuseppe's balls on his chin. Sure some random Balinese guy come up to Ol Geoff. It would of been some Aussie and he's a made the story fit.

|

7/27/2018 3:16 AM

Jrewing wrote:

Herlings has Giuseppe's balls on his chin. Sure some random Balinese guy come up to Ol Geoff. It would of been some Aussie and he's a made the story fit.

did you really have to do that ?

cant we just enjoy the sport every now and again?

|

7/27/2018 3:37 AM

Good read...Thanks.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

7/27/2018 3:56 AM

" he doesn’t have the same intensity that you seem to have"

I lol'd hard

|

7/27/2018 4:11 AM

Always the attempted thinly veiled insults by MxJerkoff. His old lady must have had a train ran on her by Americans, so bitter towards us.

|

7/27/2018 11:02 AM

Classy interview as usual from Herlings. The kid just seems very comfortable with his place in the sport and in the world. He's at the pinnacle and seems to be enjoying it. Cool to see.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

7/27/2018 11:09 AM

It would be cool if Tomac was this cool.

|

7/27/2018 11:30 AM

Jrewing wrote:

make1go wrote:

Well it was a bit crude but I do have to agree with Jrewing... I doubt that the story is true and I doubt Herlings would be such a fan of Luongo if he were a privateer trying to race the gp's.
Im not buying into the notion that only twenty or so guys lining up for a GP in the mx1 class is good for the sport, dont care what kind of spin anyone wants to put on it..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

7/27/2018 11:36 AM

Jrewing wrote:

make1go wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

Well it was a bit crude but I do have to agree with Jrewing... I doubt that the story is true and I doubt Herlings would be such a fan of Luongo if he were a privateer trying to race the gp's.
Im not buying into the notion that only twenty or so guys lining up for a GP in the mx1 class is good for the sport, dont care what kind of spin anyone wants to put on it..

Id rather see 20 SOLID entries compared to the us where the top 4 are solid and after that the talent/abilities drop off a cliff...

|

7/27/2018 11:42 AM

make1go wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

Id rather see 20 SOLID entries compared to the us where the top 4 are solid and after that the talent/abilities drop off a cliff...

Yeah thats a fair comment i suppose, but it nay be more applicable to what you like to see watching the race on tv...
If im attending a race, I like to see a full start gate and 40 riders out on the track , like to feel the earth shake when the gate drops and 40 riders drop the hammer.. less than 30 guys on the gate , not so much..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

7/27/2018 12:16 PM

Good read, appreciate the share.

|

7/27/2018 12:20 PM

make1go wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

I think you're being a little over dramatic. Tomac, Musquin, Roczen, Barcia, Baggett, Webb, Peick, Bloss, Hill and Nicoletti are all guys who are above solid. They're all guys who could go to a MXGP and run well inside the top 15 and be competitive. 10 currently uninjured riders

That list doesn't even include guys such as Anderson, Grant, Tickle, Brayton, Seely, Wilson and Craig. Again, all of which could fight for top 15s at the MXGPs. 7 guys who are currently out.

So, we have Tomac, Musquin, Roczen, Barcia, Baggett and Anderson as guys who would certainly fight for wins to 10th place finishes in the GPs. And the rest of the above listed riders who could fight for top 10s to 15th. Yet you want to bash the level of competition in the AMA series? The GPs have Herlings and Cairoli who are leap and bounds ahead of everyone else. It ain't any different over there.

|

7/27/2018 12:53 PM

Jrewing wrote:

I also think that what he has said about Luongo, it has exceeded, to put it politely , but of course, he is interested in having a good relationship
He does not believe it
This I think proves, that they have to be careful what they say ... Photo

|

7/27/2018 1:14 PM

PJRAUS wrote:

Yeah thats a fair comment i suppose, but it nay be more applicable to what you like to see watching the race on tv...
If im attending a race, I like to see a full start gate and 40 riders out on the track , like to feel the earth shake when the gate drops and 40 riders drop the hammer.. less than 30 guys on the gate , not so much..

Great idea. Can't wait till the 40 guys lines up in F1

|

Power is nothing without control

7/27/2018 1:19 PM

Solidkm wrote:

And couple of years ago JH was most hated guy in Vitards family

|

Power is nothing without control

7/27/2018 1:31 PM

This dude keeps this interesting, got a lot of shit for being a normal teenager ..we were all like that?
Funny how everyone keeps talking about cairolis pinky when he's still riding after a recent collarbone

|

7/27/2018 1:42 PM

Great rider, all-time talent, fun to watch, has made the MXGP series completely boring.

|

7/27/2018 2:04 PM

All I know is that October 7th is going to be epic! I hope that Eli brings his "A" game along with our other two riders.

|

7/27/2018 2:04 PM

True, was fun getting here though
We can see why team decarli wanted him to stay mx2 haha

|

7/27/2018 7:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2018 7:20 PM

thrillbillie91 wrote:

True, was fun getting here though
We can see why team decarli wanted him to stay mx2 haha

It was Herlings who wanted to stay in MX2 $$$
It was necessary to change the rules so that he went to MXGP
Photo

|

7/27/2018 7:36 PM

keinz wrote:

Great idea. Can't wait till the 40 guys lines up in F1

Who said anything about F1? Last I checked this was motocross.

|

7/27/2018 10:08 PM

Herlings is going to kill everyone at the MXoN. Stamp it! Book it! Understand it! Tomac will choke. Read it here first. Herlings will lap up to 3rd place. F.T.B.

|

7/27/2018 10:25 PM

Solidkm wrote:

keinz wrote:

To be honest I thought they both seemed pretty cool. I think the only 2 people in the sport not buying the Tomac v Herlings argument is Tomac and Herlings.

|

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure.

7/28/2018 3:49 AM

Solidkm wrote:

keinz wrote:

Gandorlf wrote:

To be honest I thought they both seemed pretty cool. I think the only 2 people in the sport not buying the Tomac v Herlings argument is Tomac and Herlings.

Yes and I don’t blame them for not buying into the argument.. watching those two push each other to the limit is going to be scary to watch! Can’t wait lol

|

7/28/2018 4:18 AM

Jrewing wrote:

God damn do people actually read the shit Geoff puts out and sleep better at night, all tucked in warm and cosy.
Herlings is good. Godfather Giuseppe and his leashed mutt Geoff are No Bueno

|

7/28/2018 4:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2018 4:40 AM

WCRider wrote:

" he doesn’t have the same intensity that you seem to have"

I lol'd hard

i suppose we will see in a couple of months

MXDN will be great

|

7/28/2018 4:52 AM

Jrewing wrote:

ruy wrote:

I also think that what he has said about Luongo, it has exceeded, to put it politely , but of course, he is interested in having a good relationship
He does not believe it
This I think proves, that they have to be careful what they say ... Photo

In our humble opinion, GP motocross, as we know it today, is a dictatorship that is ruled with an iron fist. Those who speak out risk reprisals. It is rumored that journalists have had their accreditation withdrawn for publishing material unfavorable to Luongo. And, most egregiously, Mark Eastwood, the 2009 British Motocross des Nations team manager, lost his team manager job after being told that Youthstream considered him “persona non grata” after he voiced his personal opinion on the state of the Grands Prix in the British Moto magazine. The editor of that publication subsequently described how a Luongo associate, when questioning him about the interview, opened the conversation with the line, “We don’t want to frighten you, but?”

In compiling this article, MXA has spoken with team owners, team managers, current and former GP riders, industry personnel, Luongo employees, race promoters and motojournalists. It was weird for an American magazine to find people who were literally afraid to speak. That certainly isn’t a problem in the USA. The European riders, managers and industry people did feel strongly enough about the subject to speak honestly, but only under the condition of complete anonymity. We thank them for their involvement, and we will protect their identities.

|

7/28/2018 6:28 AM

Geoff is a piece of shit as far as I'm concerned , but Jeffrey seems to be extremely humble , honest and grateful for what he's accomplished. He seems to of matured pretty good too over these past couple years , which is cool to hear. The guy is flat out hauling ass right now , and if he can stay healthy , I don't see anyone in the GP's beating him for a title in quite a few years.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

7/28/2018 6:33 AM

Calling Geoff a piece of shit may be going a bit far but he is annoying.

|