Herlings already a legend

Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 4:49pm
Amazing what this kid has achieved in just four years on the GP scene and at such a young age. Check this peice I did for the YS website.

Herlings going for records

The next couple of months might see something special happen in the FIM MX2 World Championship as young Dutchman Jeffrey Herlings continues to climb up the list of all-time GP winners.

Already this year with two GP wins in Qatar and Thailand (taking him to 33 GP wins) he has passed the legendary Finnish rider Heikki Mikkola (who has 32 GP wins), and up ahead of him are more legends in waiting.

It is more than likely that he will end up fifth in the all-time list at the end of the 2014 season, possibly just a couple of GP wins behind long time record holder Joel Robert (50 GP wins), who holds fourth place in the list.

At present though just ahead of him are Roger De Coster (Belgium) with 36 wins, Torsten Hallman (Sweden) with 37 wins, Mickael Pichon (France) with 38 wins and Eric Geboers (Belgium) with 39 wins.

He should without too much problem pass these guys within the next two months (Brazil, Italy, Bulgaria, Holland, Spain and Great Britain in this period). Of course, to join Geboers the Dutchman needs to win all six GPs, which is more likely than not.

Once past Geboers only Joel Robert (50 wins), Joel Smets (57 wins), Antonio Cairoli (64 wins) and Stefan Everts (101 wins) stand in his way.

A move to the MXGP class in 2015 will slow his progress, but anything is possible with this amazing talent. Everts and Cairoli will be hard to catch, but you can count on the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing rider focusing on this record, because just like his mentor Stefan Everts records mean a lot to him.

All time GP winners

Stefan Everts 101

Antonio Cairoli 64

Joel Smets 57

Joel Robert 50

Eric Geboers 39

Mickael Pichon 38

Torsten Hallman 37

Roger De Coster 36

Jeffrey Herlings 33

Heikki Mikkola 32

Gaston Rahier 30

Georges Jobe 28

Andre Malherbe 28

Paul Friedrichs 28

Dave Strijbos 27

Alessio Chiodi 26

Jeff Smith 25

Harry Everts 23

Dave Thorpe 22

Alex Puzar 22
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/20/2014 7:54pm
When Herlings is ready to go pro and race with the big boys then we will listen.

The Shop

hammertime
3/20/2014 8:04pm
i'd rather read about mini dads ruining kids interity than listen to this fuck...
TJ 755
3/20/2014 8:28pm
nice illustration of the lack of competition in the GP's. Sad.
3/20/2014 8:54pm
I have got to say after watching him at hawkstone a few weeks back he is amazingly fast.
But there no competition for him and until he goes over to race the best mx2 riders in the world and does what he is doing in the gp's he can't be classed as a legend sorry.
As good as he is when he comes up against people like baggett, Wilson and then moves up to the 450 class and does the same then make a thread on him been a legend.
bvm111
3/20/2014 8:56pm
if i go out and beat a bunch of mini riders... does that make me something special???

when he comes to THE mx series and beats everyone that might be something to hang your hat on... im just not that impressed with him other than on a sand track.
Old-Man
3/20/2014 9:00pm
Dude....Wow!. Get off the sack man.
Bet Mr. "Herlings" would say the same. Sure he's fast, just not here in the proven grounds called the States.
Lucifa.
3/20/2014 9:00pm
lostboy819 wrote:
When Herlings is ready to go pro and race with the big boys then we will listen.
Looks like he's gone pro and raced the big boys before at his last mxdn

Race 2 - MX2/Open

1. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), 34:41.619;
2. Tanel Leok (EST, Suzuki), +0:58.141;
3. Ken de Dycker (BEL, KTM), +1:00.358;
4. Ken Roczen (GER, KTM), +1:48.464;
5. Davide Guarneri (ITA, KTM), +2:27.689;
6. Blake Baggett (USA, Kawasaki), -1 lap(s);
7. Marcus Schiffer (GER, Suzuki), -1 lap(s);
8. Todd Waters (AUS, Suzuki), -1 lap(s);
9. Max Anstie (GBR, Honda), -1 lap(s);
10. Xavier Boog (FRA, Kawasaki), -1 lap(s);
11. Marvin Musquin (FRA, KTM), -1 lap(s);
12. Alexander Tonkov (RUS, Honda), -1 lap(s);
13. Luis Correia (POR, Yamaha), -1 lap(s);
14. Justin Barcia (USA, Honda), -1 lap(s);

Race 3 - MX1/Open

1. Antonio Cairoli (ITA, KTM), 35:00.015;
2. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), +0:03.037;
3. Justin Barcia (USA, Honda), +0:57.823;
4. Tanel Leok (EST, Suzuki), +1:23.257;
5. Ken de Dycker (BEL, KTM), +1:29.784;
6. Maximilian Nagl (GER, KTM), +1:37.774;
7. Clement Desalle (BEL, Suzuki), +1:49.089;
8. Gautier Paulin (FRA, Kawasaki), +1:56.647;
9. Ryan Dungey (USA, KTM), +2:00.599;
Barrett57
3/20/2014 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2014 9:02pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Lucifa. wrote:
Looks like he's gone pro and raced the big boys before at his last mxdn Race 2 - MX2/Open 1. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), 34:41.619; 2...
Looks like he's gone pro and raced the big boys before at his last mxdn

Race 2 - MX2/Open

1. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), 34:41.619;
2. Tanel Leok (EST, Suzuki), +0:58.141;
3. Ken de Dycker (BEL, KTM), +1:00.358;
4. Ken Roczen (GER, KTM), +1:48.464;
5. Davide Guarneri (ITA, KTM), +2:27.689;
6. Blake Baggett (USA, Kawasaki), -1 lap(s);
7. Marcus Schiffer (GER, Suzuki), -1 lap(s);
8. Todd Waters (AUS, Suzuki), -1 lap(s);
9. Max Anstie (GBR, Honda), -1 lap(s);
10. Xavier Boog (FRA, Kawasaki), -1 lap(s);
11. Marvin Musquin (FRA, KTM), -1 lap(s);
12. Alexander Tonkov (RUS, Honda), -1 lap(s);
13. Luis Correia (POR, Yamaha), -1 lap(s);
14. Justin Barcia (USA, Honda), -1 lap(s);

Race 3 - MX1/Open

1. Antonio Cairoli (ITA, KTM), 35:00.015;
2. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), +0:03.037;
3. Justin Barcia (USA, Honda), +0:57.823;
4. Tanel Leok (EST, Suzuki), +1:23.257;
5. Ken de Dycker (BEL, KTM), +1:29.784;
6. Maximilian Nagl (GER, KTM), +1:37.774;
7. Clement Desalle (BEL, Suzuki), +1:49.089;
8. Gautier Paulin (FRA, Kawasaki), +1:56.647;
9. Ryan Dungey (USA, KTM), +2:00.599;
He didn't bruise his ribs in that first turn crash, he bruised them from laughing so hard at the Americans.
Lucifa.
3/20/2014 9:02pm
bigdog820 wrote:
I have got to say after watching him at hawkstone a few weeks back he is amazingly fast. But there no competition for him and until...
I have got to say after watching him at hawkstone a few weeks back he is amazingly fast.
But there no competition for him and until he goes over to race the best mx2 riders in the world and does what he is doing in the gp's he can't be classed as a legend sorry.
As good as he is when he comes up against people like baggett, Wilson and then moves up to the 450 class and does the same then make a thread on him been a legend.
So is Stefan Everts a legend?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/20/2014 9:08pm
bigdog820 wrote:
I have got to say after watching him at hawkstone a few weeks back he is amazingly fast. But there no competition for him and until...
Lucifa. wrote:
Only in Europe, he ducked the US to be the big fish in a small pond, too bad because he could have won a championship or two in the states but played it safe same with Tony Cairoli.
3/20/2014 9:13pm
He's got 101 gp wins. That's 3 times as many as herlings. Herlings got his wins and fair play to him he's an incredible talent. In an mx2 class with very little competition in. Him and searle scrapped it our for a season then last year he wiped the floor every weekend. So when he backs it up and keeps winning he can surely be called a legend which I'm pretty sure he will do.
3/20/2014 9:15pm
bigdog820 wrote:
Lucifa. wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Only in Europe, he ducked the US to be the big fish in a small pond, too bad because he could have won a championship or...
Only in Europe, he ducked the US to be the big fish in a small pond, too bad because he could have won a championship or two in the states but played it safe same with Tony Cairoli.
I wish either of them had gone over. Would of been good to see how it turned out. And maybe 1 day herlings will take the jump over. Who knows.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/20/2014 9:24pm
I think Herling could win, same as Everts and Cairoli but I dont blame either one of them for staying with the GPs. I think its great that guys like Roczen,Musquin,Rattay,Pourcel,etc etc come over and race.
3/20/2014 9:28pm
Barrett57 wrote:
He didn't bruise his ribs in that first turn crash, he bruised them from laughing so hard at the Americans.
I hate you for that but it was funny
visser62
3/20/2014 9:28pm
bigdog820 wrote:
Lucifa. wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Only in Europe, he ducked the US to be the big fish in a small pond, too bad because he could have won a championship or...
You say that as if it's that easy for someone to leave their home and come to a foreign country and adapt to much more than a different race series. I don't think Cairoli or Everts were scared of coming here, or were "playing it safe". I think they just didn't give a shit about over-patriotic Americans' opinions and smiled as they counted their money.
Titan1
3/20/2014 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2014 9:37pm
It is impossible to be a legend having never race in the MX1 class....1 win in the MX1 class is better than 50 wins in the MX2 class.

There are dozens of tiddler class superstars (on both sides of the pond) who fizzle out once they move up to the premier class.

If he can dominate MX1 like he is MX2, and proves to have some longevity in that class, then he can be considered a legend...right now the best that can be said of him is that he he is a phenomenal 250 rider and has a ton of potential to do great things in the MX1 class in the future...if he capitalizes on that potential is yet to be seen.
3/20/2014 10:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
It is impossible to be a legend having never race in the MX1 class....1 win in the MX1 class is better than 50 wins in the...
It is impossible to be a legend having never race in the MX1 class....1 win in the MX1 class is better than 50 wins in the MX2 class.

There are dozens of tiddler class superstars (on both sides of the pond) who fizzle out once they move up to the premier class.

If he can dominate MX1 like he is MX2, and proves to have some longevity in that class, then he can be considered a legend...right now the best that can be said of him is that he he is a phenomenal 250 rider and has a ton of potential to do great things in the MX1 class in the future...if he capitalizes on that potential is yet to be seen.
Rahier is a legend, he hardly raced 250s and all his major success came in the 125 class. Harry Everts another legend won a majority of his GPs in the 125cc class and three of his titles, when he rode the 250 title it wasn't that strong either.

Alessio Chiodi is a legend, three 125cc titles and 26 GP wins. I call a guy a legend when he does something special, and sitting between riders like Geboers, De Coster, Mikkola and Hallman and Rahier makes him a legend in my books.

Even if he never won another GP in his life, he has moved into the legendary status and will stay there forever. What is amazing about this kid, he isn't even close to his best. Bring on 2015 and the MX1 class.
jeffro503
3/20/2014 10:31pm
Titan1 wrote:
It is impossible to be a legend having never race in the MX1 class....1 win in the MX1 class is better than 50 wins in the...

Pretty much exactly this. AND if he wouldn't of thrown a fit and threatened to quit the GP's because they were going to force him up to the big bikes......."maybe" we could actually see what he could do against guys like AC222 , Paulin , Desalle , ect......

But he didn't.....he stayed down in a class which really gives him no competition. Sandbagging at it's finest. I could see if he actually struggled a little every now and then for top 3-5 at some races......but he doesn't. He basically ruined the MX2 class....and is to chickenshit to move up.
jeffro503
3/20/2014 10:32pm
OH....and fwiw.....AC222 would make Herllings his bitch in a full GP season! And Herlinings knows it.
3/20/2014 10:43pm
jeffro503 wrote:
OH....and fwiw.....AC222 would make Herllings his bitch in a full GP season! And Herlinings knows it.
Cairoli has proven at the last two MXoN that he IS the fastest rider in the World and not by just a little bit. Being beaten by Cairoli is no negative.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/21/2014 12:09am
Lucifa. wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
visser62 wrote:
You say that as if it's that easy for someone to leave their home and come to a foreign country and adapt to much more than...
You say that as if it's that easy for someone to leave their home and come to a foreign country and adapt to much more than a different race series. I don't think Cairoli or Everts were scared of coming here, or were "playing it safe". I think they just didn't give a shit about over-patriotic Americans' opinions and smiled as they counted their money.
Right now the US is the place to be if you want to race the best, The GPs were the top dog for a lot of years but things have changed. Maybe it will swing the other way again but as of now this is it.
Robgvx
3/21/2014 1:03am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2014 3:06am
Herlings is good, no doubt.

But does it qualify when he's racing in a class where any developing competition is forced out under an age rule?

And where there are no other world champions racing? And few riders who have even won a GP before?

And in a class where if he does get a bad start he only has about half of the riders to pass that somebody like Mikkola had to?

And in a class/series where there are 50% more GPs available to win per season than there were back in the day? (18 as opposed to 12)

As I said, Herlings is good, but the statistics are mis-leading.
3/21/2014 1:16am
you guys used to say the same shit about kroc, MM, pourcel etc...
and they showed you what was up with the euros, come in from waving your flag and talking shit and recognise talent on either side of the pond
i'm sure baggett thought he was pretty quick when he lapped him, rv must have been impressed in france with a 16 yr old beating him on a 350....rant over
2smokRRR
3/21/2014 1:23am
jeffro503 wrote:
Cairoli has proven at the last two MXoN that he IS the fastest rider in the World and not by just a little bit. Being beaten...
Cairoli has proven at the last two MXoN that he IS the fastest rider in the World and not by just a little bit. Being beaten by Cairoli is no negative.
sorry but rv and james would handle cairoli,get off his sack.
Crush
3/21/2014 1:23am
How many bad seasons did Stefan have? 99/00 Was he back on Yamaha in 01? He's got a lot of wins!
41NDT
3/21/2014 1:26am
I'm a big fan of GP's and there riders theres no doubt that both Herlings and Cairolli are 1 of the best riders we have ever seen. My ? is what are they gaining by staying in the GP series. The only things there proving at the moment is that there still better than the same guys there beating from 4+ years ago. If Herlings moves into the MXGP class then Cairolli might have a hard time get'n his spaghetti on the fork apart from that i would love to see them on the AMA circuit but.... Whats wrong with Villo or Dungey going to Europe to race.
Cairolli and Herlings won't race in the AMA series as long as Yoofstream are paying them to stay in MXGP.

Post a reply to: Herlings already a legend

The Latest