Herlings Unadilla Strategy..

MCR
Edited Date/Time 7/18/2014 11:04am
Yesterday there came out a interview with Jeffrey and said that he fly in on Friday and leave at sunday, so he will be less dan 48 hours in the USA.

Pretty interesting that he is doing this, and coming over so late and not riding pressday or practice on the US KTM bike before Unadilla. And mayby the biggest part, the jetlag...

What do you guys thing? I think this will hurt him!!
|
7/16/2014 4:07am
sounds like de carli and tc didnt fancy playing ball in the last few gps?
anyone know if he is riding open class for NL again this year?
7/16/2014 4:18am
the odds are against him but if any rider can pull off the win in a one off race then its herlings! cant wait for unadilla- hopefully all the usual contenders start up front with jeffrey and we get to see an epic battle!

the strategy of going over late to avoid jet lag sounds a bit odd to me- maybe theres another reason for it that they dont want the public to know?
Jefro98
7/16/2014 4:20am
MCR wrote:
Yesterday there came out a interview with Jeffrey and said that he fly in on Friday and leave at sunday, so he will be less dan...
Yesterday there came out a interview with Jeffrey and said that he fly in on Friday and leave at sunday, so he will be less dan 48 hours in the USA.

Pretty interesting that he is doing this, and coming over so late and not riding pressday or practice on the US KTM bike before Unadilla. And mayby the biggest part, the jetlag...

What do you guys thing? I think this will hurt him!!
You think it will hurt him? Seriously?

Don't you think JH and his crew know what works best for him?

The Shop

Jefro98
7/16/2014 4:22am
sounds like de carli and tc didnt fancy playing ball in the last few gps? anyone know if he is riding open class for NL again...
sounds like de carli and tc didnt fancy playing ball in the last few gps?
anyone know if he is riding open class for NL again this year?
Dutch MXoN team in not announced yet.

Love the Cairoli conspiracy theory BTW.....
jamma10
7/16/2014 4:31am
I could tell Geoff wrote that article by the time I'd finished reading the first sentence.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/16/2014 4:34am
I really like his attitude towards the trip - the weather will not be a problem, the bike will be fine, the travel schedule has already worked twice this year so it should be fine. Basically, no excuses. Most, like the interviewer, would be inclined to lay the groundwork for legitimate excuses in advance. I'm going to say he goes 3-1 and takes the overall.
jamma10
7/16/2014 4:39am
GrapeApe wrote:
I really like his attitude towards the trip - the weather will not be a problem, the bike will be fine, the travel schedule has already...
I really like his attitude towards the trip - the weather will not be a problem, the bike will be fine, the travel schedule has already worked twice this year so it should be fine. Basically, no excuses. Most, like the interviewer, would be inclined to lay the groundwork for legitimate excuses in advance. I'm going to say he goes 3-1 and takes the overall.
3-1 isn't a bad shout.
Freddy
7/16/2014 4:46am
Im suprised he says that the american bike is actually faster than his GP bike. No more excuses in the mxon about not having "true" factory bikes then. lol
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
7/16/2014 5:10am
My guess is he knows exactly what he's doing. Him and bis Team probably wouldnt do this if there were questionmarks about everything and he could end up not getting along with the bike or the schedule and Land outside the top 5.
They will make sure that he's almost as good as if it was a GP. And theyre good at what theyre doing. If they manage that and hes familiar with everything, i think it will depend on baggett. If he has a good day he can fight with herlings, i dont see other riders being able to come close to be honest.
Crush
7/16/2014 5:50am
One thing I don't get is, about the bike, how is he allowed to use "his own" suspension.

Surely his works KTM GP stuff is well outside the rules for 250 class in the states right?
Robgvx
7/16/2014 5:58am
jamma10 wrote:
I could tell Geoff wrote that article by the time I'd finished reading the first sentence.
Do you want to bet that Jiff can't resist and comes out of Vital retirement around Unadilla time?
clmartin22
7/16/2014 6:03am
Crush wrote:
One thing I don't get is, about the bike, how is he allowed to use "his own" suspension. Surely his works KTM GP stuff is well...
One thing I don't get is, about the bike, how is he allowed to use "his own" suspension.

Surely his works KTM GP stuff is well outside the rules for 250 class in the states right?
how do you figure that? All the guys are riding on custom suspension built for them. Is the EURO WP stuff different
Xavier
7/16/2014 6:05am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 6:07am
This does sound like a tight schedule but he is an athlete and we got to assume he knows his body's reaction to jet lag...
IMO, he is at another level has the potential to dominate the 250 US field.
It will for sure be interesting to watch.
Jeffrey is making up for the criticism that followed his decision to stay in the MX2 class for 2015, right there.
If he does indeed ride some MX1 after clinching his 250 title, it will be even better (Cairoli vs Herlings at Lommel, yeeaahh !).
Crush
7/16/2014 6:10am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 6:11am
Crush wrote:
One thing I don't get is, about the bike, how is he allowed to use "his own" suspension. Surely his works KTM GP stuff is well...

clmartin22 wrote:
how do you figure that? All the guys are riding on custom suspension built for them. Is the EURO WP stuff different
Rule 3.9 as stated here. http://www.mxsportsproracing.com/pdf/2014/MX-2014-Rulebook-FINAL.v3.pdf

3.9 Forks and Shocks
a. The manufacturer’s original concept of single shock must be maintained.
b. In the 250 Class, the replacement and modification of forks and shocks are limited to the following:
i. Forks and shocks may be either stock or aftermarket units listed on the Approved Equipment List. This list
is available from the AMA Pro Racing Technical Department.
ii. Homologated inner and outer fork tubes, axle lugs, cartridge, and piston rod must be retained; modifications
are permitted. All other fork parts may be replaced.
iii. Homologated shock body, shaft and reservoir must be retained; modifications are permitted. All other shock
parts may be replaced.
iv. Fork and shock assemblies must be complete and functioning assemblies, in addition to the controlled
parts. Retail prices of approved forks and shocks may not exceed the following cost, exclusive of all taxes:
1. Both fork legs (less triple clamps): $5,175.00
2. Shock assembly: $2,000.00

I'm guessing his "works" gp stuff is exactly that, and not for sale to the general public. Of course that is a guess. But....

Settings sure. But for sale and for just over 7G? Doubt it....

??
7/16/2014 6:12am
i think his strategy will be as follows:-

1- get the holeshot
2- pull a big lead
3- take the trophy girl home with him
7/16/2014 6:14am
Xavier wrote:
This does sound like a tight schedule but he is an athlete and we got to assume he knows his body's reaction to jet lag... IMO...
This does sound like a tight schedule but he is an athlete and we got to assume he knows his body's reaction to jet lag...
IMO, he is at another level has the potential to dominate the 250 US field.
It will for sure be interesting to watch.
Jeffrey is making up for the criticism that followed his decision to stay in the MX2 class for 2015, right there.
If he does indeed ride some MX1 after clinching his 250 title, it will be even better (Cairoli vs Herlings at Lommel, yeeaahh !).
(Cairoli vs Herlings at Lommel, yeeaahh !)
couldn't agree more! surely he deserves the chance to go head to head after the mxon12 moto3 first turn incident.... sure they'd be a huge turn out to see that go down....ktm need to give us some excitement after the demo they've put on in mxgp/mx2 this year!!!!
jrt240
7/16/2014 7:26am
The strategy will go a little something like this, I like how the Euros put the goggles to use on a podium

Been a while since a GP champ in his prime has come to play. It will be an interesting dynamic in the 250s that is going to be worth the price of admission. Should be a barn burner

Xeno
7/16/2014 7:35am
I hope he gets two great starts.
7/16/2014 7:54am
Crush wrote:

clmartin22 wrote:
Crush wrote:
Rule 3.9 as stated here. http://www.mxsportsproracing.com/pdf/2014/MX-2014-Rulebook-FINAL.v3.pdf 3.9 Forks and Shocks a. The manufacturer’s original concept of single shock must be maintained. b. I[b]n the 250 Class...
Rule 3.9 as stated here. http://www.mxsportsproracing.com/pdf/2014/MX-2014-Rulebook-FINAL.v3.pdf

3.9 Forks and Shocks
a. The manufacturer’s original concept of single shock must be maintained.
b. In the 250 Class, the replacement and modification of forks and shocks are limited to the following:
i. Forks and shocks may be either stock or aftermarket units listed on the Approved Equipment List. This list
is available from the AMA Pro Racing Technical Department.
ii. Homologated inner and outer fork tubes, axle lugs, cartridge, and piston rod must be retained; modifications
are permitted. All other fork parts may be replaced.
iii. Homologated shock body, shaft and reservoir must be retained; modifications are permitted. All other shock
parts may be replaced.
iv. Fork and shock assemblies must be complete and functioning assemblies, in addition to the controlled
parts. Retail prices of approved forks and shocks may not exceed the following cost, exclusive of all taxes:
1. Both fork legs (less triple clamps): $5,175.00
2. Shock assembly: $2,000.00

I'm guessing his "works" gp stuff is exactly that, and not for sale to the general public. Of course that is a guess. But....

Settings sure. But for sale and for just over 7G? Doubt it....

??
Moosecan runs the same suspension as Herlings/Tixier. WP knows the settings for Herlings so there is no problem in getting het suspension he wants in the US. US bikes runs better because of exhaust (less noise is less horsepower) en fuel (US higher octane).
Herlings can't run his own frame (factory, not allowed in US) and maybe some little thing in the engine (but the US exhaust en fuel compensate for that)

The US bike should be good.
ehr400
7/16/2014 8:17am
No love lost for Febreve.
7/16/2014 8:20am
Crush wrote:
Ferrandis wants to follow.

That 23 rule and no prize money doesn't seem to be working out.

http://racerxonline.com/2014/07/16/ferrandis
Wow, that's a very frank interview.
jamma10 wrote:
He sounds angry Grinning
Yeah he does sound pissed off, right from the get go. Some of those answers raise an eyebrow - for instance beating Herlings.... Dylan is a fantastic rider no doubt, but his response there gave me Max Anstie flashbacks. He isn't anywhere near Jeffrey.
smezmx
7/16/2014 8:58am
He'll holeshot and win both race's by a long way's! LaughingLaughingTongueTongue

FlaNard
7/16/2014 9:01am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 9:01am
This will show us a lot. If Jeff comes and doesn't win it may expose how weak the half bike class is in the GP's. If he shows up and waxes all of our guys with almost no track time that may say even more. I'm hoping someone can give him a race but I'm expecting an absolute destruction of our guys. The class has lost a few of its better guys with Tomac and Kenny moved up, and I think they are ripe for a beatdown. I also expect to hear "Well, I don't need to worry about racing a guy who isn't in the championship" from more than a few guys in the aftermath. I don't see anyone going for broke to beat him (CW may be the exception) and the only guys that have a chance have the most reason not to. Bigger question is what if he posts better times than the 450's? That would be something special to pull that off on both sides of the pond. All that said Im happy he has the balls to travel (more should do it on both sides) and I hope he somehow gets beat. Cool

Post a reply to: Herlings Unadilla Strategy..

The Latest