Herlings: "I don't think there is anyone in the world on our level at the moment."

DP#201
6/6/2018 10:18am
Just because it’s labelled the “World Motocross Championship “ does’t meannits more prestigious than the AMA series. The SX series is the top dirt bike filter...
Just because it’s labelled the “World Motocross Championship “ does’t meannits more prestigious than the AMA series. The SX series is the top dirt bike filter in the world, and I would say second in to MotoGP in all of motorcycle titles.

And I think the history of top GP riders, and champions coming over to compete in the US proves that. Bayle, Albee, Pichin, Vuillimen, Tortelli, Langston, Townley, Pourcel, Rattray, Musquin, Roczen... etc etc. look how many world champions decided to come race in the US because they thought the US series was the best and most competitive in the world.

I think that also says something about the championships that say Cairoli has. Most of the top champions moving up from the 250s, which are now top guys in the US (Musquin, Roczen, etc) he never had to face and are more than capable of winning 450 GP titles.

Or it could just be the money and easy way of living that made them go to the US.. you could say the same with Kroc, Muscan, Eli and dungey, they never had to face Cairoli! But we can probably agree that it would be better if every one raced the same serie.. that would make for better racing, and No more nonsense of AMA vs GP!
6/6/2018 11:16am
You guys underestimate the advantage of racing on a track in your country that you have ridden you're whole career.

Last time Eli raced (and wasn't holding back for championship points) he made the GP riders look like they were amateurs.

10 seconds back to 15 seconds up on the leader....

Pos Nr Rider Nat. Fed. Bike Time laps Diff. First Diff. Prev. Bestlaptime in lap Speed
1 3 Tomac, Eli USA AMA Kawasaki 34:58.974 15 0:00.000 0:00.000 2:08.662 7 48.1
2 222 Cairoli, Antonio ITA FMI KTM 35:15.005 15 0:16.031 0:16.031 2:11.180 8 47.2
3 243 Gajser, Tim SLO AMZS Honda 35:18.015 15 0:19.041 0:03.010 2:11.641 7 47
4 12 Nagl, Maximilian GER DMSB Husqvarna 35:24.634 15 0:25.660 0:06.619 2:12.475 7 46.7

ruy
6/6/2018 11:22am

I see Tomac better now than Herlings. But you should see it on the track.
And as soon as this healthy Roczen will be better than them again.
cbuehler767
6/6/2018 11:24am
DP#201 wrote:
Or it could just be the money and easy way of living that made them go to the US.. you could say the same with Kroc...
Or it could just be the money and easy way of living that made them go to the US.. you could say the same with Kroc, Muscan, Eli and dungey, they never had to face Cairoli! But we can probably agree that it would be better if every one raced the same serie.. that would make for better racing, and No more nonsense of AMA vs GP!
Solid post. How in the hell did this thread turn into RC vs Herlings hahaha!! I think you have to have some blinders on to not give the nod to JH as the best motocross rider on the planet right now and I'm from the US. I do think we may be seeing the best version of Tomac to date and its always seemed to me that be gets better/stronger as the season goes on. Please please God give us a nice 3-way showdown at the MXdN between AC Tomac and Jeffrey

The Shop

St Ann More
6/6/2018 3:47pm
You guys underestimate the advantage of racing on a track in your country that you have ridden you're whole career. Last time Eli raced (and wasn't...
You guys underestimate the advantage of racing on a track in your country that you have ridden you're whole career.

Last time Eli raced (and wasn't holding back for championship points) he made the GP riders look like they were amateurs.

10 seconds back to 15 seconds up on the leader....

Pos Nr Rider Nat. Fed. Bike Time laps Diff. First Diff. Prev. Bestlaptime in lap Speed
1 3 Tomac, Eli USA AMA Kawasaki 34:58.974 15 0:00.000 0:00.000 2:08.662 7 48.1
2 222 Cairoli, Antonio ITA FMI KTM 35:15.005 15 0:16.031 0:16.031 2:11.180 8 47.2
3 243 Gajser, Tim SLO AMZS Honda 35:18.015 15 0:19.041 0:03.010 2:11.641 7 47
4 12 Nagl, Maximilian GER DMSB Husqvarna 35:24.634 15 0:25.660 0:06.619 2:12.475 7 46.7

You must know some serious amateurs bro, if you consider getting beaten by Eli by 10-15 seconds over a 35 minute race makes you look like one....
shredder22
6/6/2018 5:00pm
DP#201 wrote:
Or it could just be the money and easy way of living that made them go to the US.. you could say the same with Kroc...
LMAO!!!! The excuses are endless. Without a doubt there are WAYYY more top riders that come to the US compared to top riders from the US going to the GP's. Zacho went to the GP's because he wasn't doing that well here and couldn't get a ride. As for Herling's and Tomac overall speed, I don't think you can really compare that until they race each other over a full series. Send Eli to the GP's for one year and see where he places. Then send Herlings here to race a full year of SX and MX and see where they place. Herlings is a badass for sure but so is Eli. But yeah I'm sure it's an "easy way of living" that made them go to the US because it's not like supercross is dangerous or anything lol
drt410
6/6/2018 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2018 9:16pm
Tomac goes this |_______| fast n Herlings goes this |_____| fast. Make your own mind up.
PressPassP
6/7/2018 3:10am
DP#201 wrote:
shredder22 wrote:
LMAO!!!! The excuses are endless. Without a doubt there are WAYYY more top riders that come to the US compared to top riders from the US...
LMAO!!!! The excuses are endless. Without a doubt there are WAYYY more top riders that come to the US compared to top riders from the US going to the GP's. Zacho went to the GP's because he wasn't doing that well here and couldn't get a ride. As for Herling's and Tomac overall speed, I don't think you can really compare that until they race each other over a full series. Send Eli to the GP's for one year and see where he places. Then send Herlings here to race a full year of SX and MX and see where they place. Herlings is a badass for sure but so is Eli. But yeah I'm sure it's an "easy way of living" that made them go to the US because it's not like supercross is dangerous or anything lol
Not sure why SX keeps getting brought up in an MX thread especially when the rider of topic doesn't even compete in it
Even if he did in the few events in his native Europe it would have to be considered Arenacross
But to doubt that he'd be successful at SX would be foolish as his predecessors Roczen and Musquin have both done extremely well at it
Ray_MXS
6/7/2018 7:34am
PressPassP wrote:
Not sure why SX keeps getting brought up in an MX thread especially when the rider of topic doesn't even compete in it Even if he...
Not sure why SX keeps getting brought up in an MX thread especially when the rider of topic doesn't even compete in it
Even if he did in the few events in his native Europe it would have to be considered Arenacross
But to doubt that he'd be successful at SX would be foolish as his predecessors Roczen and Musquin have both done extremely well at it
This

I don't understand why everyone thinks the pinnacle of this world wide sport is somehow located in this indoor series that's only run in one single country in the entire world.
SlasherMcGee
6/7/2018 7:47am
Last time I checked, Pasta and JH don't ride supercross for 6 months out of the year. Sure, they are probably the fastest "MX'ers" right now, but the fastest overall MX/SX'ers are Tomac, Musquin, Roczen, Barcia, JA, etc...

Get back to me when Pasta/JH try a few seasons of SX. Sure went good for Gajser in his first attempt....
SlasherMcGee
6/7/2018 7:50am
PressPassP wrote:
Not sure why SX keeps getting brought up in an MX thread especially when the rider of topic doesn't even compete in it Even if he...
Ray_MXS wrote:
This I don't understand why everyone thinks the pinnacle of this world wide sport is somehow located in this indoor series that's only run in one...
This

I don't understand why everyone thinks the pinnacle of this world wide sport is somehow located in this indoor series that's only run in one single country in the entire world.
Not this.. You're missing the point of the arguments. You can't just say "But to doubt that he'd be successful at SX would be foolish as his predecessors Roczen and Musquin have both done extremely well at it". SuperX damn near ended Roczen's career(it may have ended any hope of a championship moving forward). The point is, if JH/Pasta were riding SX for 6 months a year:

1) They'd likely have 2x more injuries
2) Their MX skills would NOT be as good as they are now.
ayearinmx
6/7/2018 7:51am
Last time I checked, Pasta and JH don't ride supercross for 6 months out of the year. Sure, they are probably the fastest "MX'ers" right now...
Last time I checked, Pasta and JH don't ride supercross for 6 months out of the year. Sure, they are probably the fastest "MX'ers" right now, but the fastest overall MX/SX'ers are Tomac, Musquin, Roczen, Barcia, JA, etc...

Get back to me when Pasta/JH try a few seasons of SX. Sure went good for Gajser in his first attempt....
Gajser beat Tomac at his first attempt at Monster cup..... pretty good if you ask me
Ray_MXS
6/7/2018 7:58am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 8:00am
Not this.. You're missing the point of the arguments. You can't just say "But to doubt that he'd be successful at SX would be foolish as...
Not this.. You're missing the point of the arguments. You can't just say "But to doubt that he'd be successful at SX would be foolish as his predecessors Roczen and Musquin have both done extremely well at it". SuperX damn near ended Roczen's career(it may have ended any hope of a championship moving forward). The point is, if JH/Pasta were riding SX for 6 months a year:

No you obviously don't understand the discussion of this topic, which is regarding a Herlings comment in which I can with a 100% certainty say that he wasn't referring to supercross or anything relating to it.

Any discussion about Herlings in supercross is irrelevant and a waste of time since it doesn't matter nor will he ever compete in it. Mayyyybe a monster energy cup but I highly doubt it.
Motohead279
6/7/2018 8:53am
PressPassP wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
This I don't understand why everyone thinks the pinnacle of this world wide sport is somehow located in this indoor series that's only run in one...
This

How many world champions come over to race it?

Because they know how prestigious it is. That’s why.
pilotdude
6/7/2018 9:03am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 9:06am
This thread contains multiple arguments that can never be proven--only debated endlessly. The closest we can ever come is when racers face off head to head, and that happens rarely.

Several things do seem to be true though. And several things can be true at the same time.

1. Herlings makes a point and that point is this: When you have 2 greats battling each other in a series, it often raises their level of excellence. McGrath-Carmichael, Carmichael-Stewart, Villopoto-Townely, Villopoto-Dungey, Herlings-Cairoli, etc. If Roczen is able to recover enough, that could also be a pair of great ones (Tomac-Roczen) sharpening their skills against one another and raising the level.

2. Tomac beat Herlings and Cairoli in Florida last year in that first moto. End of story. No ifs, ands, or buts. He got a start and checked out, then did whatever he needed to do to. Anyone who tries to qualify his win should probably not be taken terribly seriously. This was in a race that had no significance for him, in a championship or points sense, in any way. It was the exact reverse of the Ironman race regarding championship circumstances held shortly before, and was held on a track none of them had raced on before.

3. Anyone who tries to diminish the supercross championship as a lesser championship because it is "indoors", or tries to equate the U.S. nationals to any other country's national championship, should probably not be taken terribly seriously. Likewise, anyone who tries to dismiss the GPs as a lesser championship because it does not include a supercross element, should probably not be taken terribly seriously. The North American (hybrid of SX and MX) and GP seriies (more outdoor races in more locations) both produce all-time great champions. It seems to me that what differentiates them is the level of commitment, desire, work ethic, and skill each individual brings to the table. We have seen Americans win the GPs and we have seen GP riders win SX and the Nationals. What is looks like to me is that the AMA side of the house kicked GP asses long enough that the GP riders finally got tired of it, and decided they could no longer drink, smoke, and act like training didn't matter. They finally upped their game and now we have two spheres of racing that while different, each produce excellence.

4. I disagree with those who say Herlings would not have been great at supercross. While that may be true, there is no evidence to show he would not have been, given the time and resources to sharpen his supercross game. Roczen did it. Musquin did it. Many others have done it. Yes, he might have gotten injured while trying. So did Villopoto, Roczen, etc. I think with his skills and desire, he probably would have adapted and become a force just like others have. This never happened and is unlikely to happen, but the argument that could never have happened is untrue in my opinion, and is one designed to be a slap at Herlings.

Motohead279
6/7/2018 9:08am
Last time I checked, Pasta and JH don't ride supercross for 6 months out of the year. Sure, they are probably the fastest "MX'ers" right now...

ayearinmx wrote:
Gajser beat Tomac at his first attempt at Monster cup..... pretty good if you ask me
Lol I think you need to recheck the results. Gasjer knocked himself out in the first race.

And this is one point about guys who ride MX only and those who ride SX and MX. The bikes/suspension are totally different. Most riders who have never raced on full SX suspension have no idea how still it is. Bike do not turn very well. Gasjer was said to be having a very hard time riding with it that stiff and that he ran it way too soft for the race which helped contribute to his crash.

There are no doubt how fast JH and AC are going right now, I’d love to see Tomac and KR in the mix. I think on any given day it would be a guess who would win.

But also consider the fact that the guys in the US only ride a small part of he year doing MX, which is a totally different animal not only tracks, style, but bike setup. Most of the year is racing SX and SX testing. These guys maybe ride/test MX for 4 months while SX is the other 8 months. So in reality the guys who race MX full time should be faster.

We’ve seen many GP riders/champions come over to the US blazing speed in their first race, only to get slower settle into the pace outdoors after having to ride both SX and MX.

Both series are fun to watch, both have great riders. Let’s stop comparing them. But for those who keep on saying it’s just a “national series”, then please explain why so many GP riders and champions come here, and then do not win titles, except a select few.
Motohead279
6/7/2018 9:12am
pilotdude wrote:
This thread contains multiple arguments that can never be proven--only debated endlessly. The closest we can ever come is when racers face off head to head...
This thread contains multiple arguments that can never be proven--only debated endlessly. The closest we can ever come is when racers face off head to head, and that happens rarely.

Several things do seem to be true though. And several things can be true at the same time.

1. Herlings makes a point and that point is this: When you have 2 greats battling each other in a series, it often raises their level of excellence. McGrath-Carmichael, Carmichael-Stewart, Villopoto-Townely, Villopoto-Dungey, Herlings-Cairoli, etc. If Roczen is able to recover enough, that could also be a pair of great ones (Tomac-Roczen) sharpening their skills against one another and raising the level.

2. Tomac beat Herlings and Cairoli in Florida last year in that first moto. End of story. No ifs, ands, or buts. He got a start and checked out, then did whatever he needed to do to. Anyone who tries to qualify his win should probably not be taken terribly seriously. This was in a race that had no significance for him, in a championship or points sense, in any way. It was the exact reverse of the Ironman race regarding championship circumstances held shortly before, and was held on a track none of them had raced on before.

3. Anyone who tries to diminish the supercross championship as a lesser championship because it is "indoors", or tries to equate the U.S. nationals to any other country's national championship, should probably not be taken terribly seriously. Likewise, anyone who tries to dismiss the GPs as a lesser championship because it does not include a supercross element, should probably not be taken terribly seriously. The North American (hybrid of SX and MX) and GP seriies (more outdoor races in more locations) both produce all-time great champions. It seems to me that what differentiates them is the level of commitment, desire, work ethic, and skill each individual brings to the table. We have seen Americans win the GPs and we have seen GP riders win SX and the Nationals. What is looks like to me is that the AMA side of the house kicked GP asses long enough that the GP riders finally got tired of it, and decided they could no longer drink, smoke, and act like training didn't matter. They finally upped their game and now we have two spheres of racing that while different, each produce excellence.

4. I disagree with those who say Herlings would not have been great at supercross. While that may be true, there is no evidence to show he would not have been, given the time and resources to sharpen his supercross game. Roczen did it. Musquin did it. Many others have done it. Yes, he might have gotten injured while trying. So did Villopoto, Roczen, etc. I think with his skills and desire, he probably would have adapted and become a force just like others have. This never happened and is unlikely to happen, but the argument that could never have happened is untrue in my opinion, and is one designed to be a slap at Herlings.

That’s why Everts and I believe also AC said, is that gettingbup to speed in SX this late in their careers was not a smart move for them. Everts races a few SX races in the 90’s to feel it out.
ayearinmx
6/7/2018 9:15am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 9:18am
sorry buddy..... it's you that needs to recheck the results, but i've done it for you Wink You also need to recheck your spelling of Gajser

other than that.... i'm just showing how skewed it is when you use results from one-off races

here is Gajser beating Tomac at the 2017 Monster Cup..... ta-daaaa

Ray_MXS
6/7/2018 9:15am
How many world champions come over to race it?

Because they know how prestigious it is. That’s why.
If you look at the total numbers of world champions, not too many. Most of them move after a 125 title. The only premier class champions I can think of is Albee, Tortelli and JMB. That beeing said, I think the money in supercross played a big part.
Hallzilla
6/7/2018 9:15am
Herlings = super fast. Maybe fastest MXer on the planet. But ...

HE"S NOT THE FASTEST ALL ROUND RIDER ON THE PLANET. Have to come here to earn that.

Ray_MXS
6/7/2018 9:24am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 9:27am
Hallzilla wrote:
Herlings = super fast. Maybe fastest MXer on the planet. But ... HE"S NOT THE FASTEST ALL ROUND RIDER ON THE PLANET. Have to come here...

HE"S NOT THE FASTEST ALL ROUND RIDER ON THE PLANET. Have to come here to earn that.

This thread is about what Herlings said after the race in GB. I'm 100% sure he wasn't talking about supercross so bringing it up over and over is totally irrelevant

Also if someone should be crowned "best all round rider", surely they'll need to win a few off-road championships too right?

The only thing supercross determines is who is the best supercross rider, that's it.
kongols
6/7/2018 9:33am
Hallzilla wrote:
Herlings = super fast. Maybe fastest MXer on the planet. But ... HE"S NOT THE FASTEST ALL ROUND RIDER ON THE PLANET. Have to come here...

Ray_MXS wrote:
This thread is about what Herlings said after the race in GB. I'm 100% sure he wasn't talking about supercross so bringing it up over and...
This thread is about what Herlings said after the race in GB. I'm 100% sure he wasn't talking about supercross so bringing it up over and over is totally irrelevant

Also if someone should be crowned "best all round rider", surely they'll need to win a few off-road championships too right?

The only thing supercross determines is who is the best supercross rider, that's it.
When you run out of argument, you have to make something up. Herlings going 1-1 and from last to first still proved nothing in some eyes. On a borrowed bike on his of weekend after all the travel and jetlag. GP guys will never be good enough for american patriots.
They can`t get over the fact that time is changing and a lot of guys staying in GP`s and making good money. It used to be that you could make 10x more in USA. Now it`s not.
Hallzilla
6/7/2018 9:51am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 9:52am
Ray_MXS wrote:
This thread is about what Herlings said after the race in GB. I'm 100% sure he wasn't talking about supercross so bringing it up over and...

Pretty funny how a guy who has won 0 MX1 titles, is laying all these claims. Hope he makes it through the entire season.

And you are so wrong about Supercross. The main thing it determines is, How much time you can train for MX !
That's a massive disadvantage, and if the guys here TRAINED ALL YEAR FOR 1 DISCIPLINE, I think things would be entirely different. Also just being able to make it through a season of supercross to line up for a MX race is phenomenal achievement. There's a reason why these guys don't come here and throw their hats into the ring. They know Supercross will chew them up and spit them out, all the way back to Europe. It take a very special talent like a KR, to even come close. Can't say I blame them. And Herlings drinks more of his own cool aid than anyone I've ever seen.

crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
6/7/2018 9:53am

Actually I think Ryan sipes is the fmotp
The fastest overall MX/SX/Enduro/GNCC/Superbike rider
Closely followed by mike brown and kornel nemeth

Get back to me when Tomac tried a few seasons of hard enduro and monster trucks
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
6/7/2018 10:00am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 10:02am
Ray_MXS wrote:
If you look at the total numbers of world champions, not too many. Most of them move after a 125 title. The only premier class champions...
If you look at the total numbers of world champions, not too many. Most of them move after a 125 title. The only premier class champions I can think of is Albee, Tortelli and JMB. That beeing said, I think the money in supercross played a big part.
Quite a few of the world champions since JMB came over here, or they raced in the states went back to the GPs and won world titles ala Dobb and Pichon.

The 88,92,96,97,98,99,00,04,06,08,09,10 and 11 MX2 title holders came to the states as well as the runner up from 05 and 08. Plus MX2 race winners in Tonus and Dylan.

The 89,93,94 and 98 MXGP world champs came to the states. DV won races then came.

That's quite a few champs in my book for a fairly short amount of time and I know I left out some race winners as well.

Sure seemed like you had to win a MXGP title to come to the states and then after Seb it sure seemed like they wanted em after a MX2 title and now they will grab em as long as they have won a race it seems.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
6/7/2018 10:02am
Not this.. You're missing the point of the arguments. You can't just say "But to doubt that he'd be successful at SX would be foolish as...

That's some serious BS.

It's not like SX is a completely different sport. It's beneficial on many parts of an MX track (technique, jumps, intensity, close battles)
In exchange the euros have to train deep sand for several months.
You can't say "ok but if tomac trained in the sand for 3 months a year he wouldn't be that good on other tracks"
Or "If tomac stayed off the bike for 2 months in the winter he wouldn't be as fast" - the euros can't practice on the bike during the winter months because of the weather.

Complete BS bro

The only thing that the Americans might be lacking a little is bike setup, because they don't have that much time to prepare for outdoors. But since they ride the exact same tracks every single year, they can use data from last years if the bike wasn't changed drastically

That being said, Tomac will most likely beat Herlings in October
Ray_MXS
6/7/2018 10:06am
Ray_MXS wrote:
If you look at the total numbers of world champions, not too many. Most of them move after a 125 title. The only premier class champions...
Park Boys wrote:
Quite a few of the world champions since JMB came over here, or they raced in the states went back to the GPs and won world...
Quite a few of the world champions since JMB came over here, or they raced in the states went back to the GPs and won world titles ala Dobb and Pichon.

The 88,92,96,97,98,99,00,04,06,08,09,10 and 11 MX2 title holders came to the states as well as the runner up from 05 and 08. Plus MX2 race winners in Tonus and Dylan.

The 89,93,94 and 98 MXGP world champs came to the states. DV won races then came.

That's quite a few champs in my book for a fairly short amount of time and I know I left out some race winners as well.

Sure seemed like you had to win a MXGP title to come to the states and then after Seb it sure seemed like they wanted em after a MX2 title and now they will grab em as long as they have won a race it seems.
Lol you do realize that with all those years you listed the same guys won alot of those so it's not actually one rider per year? JMB, Albee, Chiodi and Tortelli makes up most of those years you listed.

Also as Kongols pointed out, back then you would make tenfold the money in America. It's not like that anymore
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
6/7/2018 10:08am
TXDirt wrote:
JH is clearly the FMOTP right now. Tomac is closer to AC then he is to JH. That's for certain. Tomac would likely struggle on GP...
JH is clearly the FMOTP right now. Tomac is closer to AC then he is to JH. That's for certain. Tomac would likely struggle on GP style tracks. No different then when RV did as well.

Put another way, JH would be a lot closer to Tomac on US tracks then Tomac would be to JH on GP tracks.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Agreed!
"Tomac is closer to AC" LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
6/7/2018 10:40am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 10:42am
Lommel should host a one off showdown, everyone welcome
Who cares about str8 rhythm or monster cup
That would be awesome, all classes rough as feck! Hardcore Mx showdown....

Redbull send me the request for payment details for the idea!

Lierop would be even better if possible
6/7/2018 10:52am
Lommel should host a one off showdown, everyone welcome Who cares about str8 rhythm or monster cup That would be awesome, all classes rough as feck...
Lommel should host a one off showdown, everyone welcome
Who cares about str8 rhythm or monster cup
That would be awesome, all classes rough as feck! Hardcore Mx showdown....

Redbull send me the request for payment details for the idea!

Lierop would be even better if possible
nobody beats Herlings at Lommel or Lierop ..not Tomac , not Roczen ... wouldnt be a fair race
if people still think there is anyone faster around those sand tracks , youre missing some braincells

Post a reply to: Herlings: "I don't think there is anyone in the world on our level at the moment."

The Latest