Here's what a "planned" wheel change looks like

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2018 2:33 PM

Here's a video from the 2010 Baja 1000. Kendall Norman stops for fuel and a rear wheel change. The guy changing the wheel is Ron Klarenbach- a very experienced truck technician who practiced a lot for this pit service.
Talk about working under pressure: your rider is leading the race, team owner Johnny Campbell is hovering overhead in a helicopter, and the Kurt Caselli is quickly closing in second place!
At the end of the clip you can see how close it was:

?rel=0
|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

4/30/2018 2:36 PM

Wow. Do they have radio communication? That would make a difference. If anderson could have said hey the front wheels trashed im coming in, would make a big difference im sure.

|

4/30/2018 3:10 PM

Always awesome watching the GNCC/Worcs/Baja guys pit... so fast!
Jason's mechanic Chris is no slouch either, I give him lots of credit for doing what he did with that amount of pressure hovering over him.

|

4/30/2018 3:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2018 3:17 PM

jzack658 wrote:

Always awesome watching the GNCC/Worcs/Baja guys pit... so fast!
Jason's mechanic Chris is no slouch either, I give him lots ...more

I agree, he figured out what was wrong, dug the tools out, changed the tire while probably dealing some more bent up parts and made sure everything was done correctly so nothing comes apart on the track all in about 2 minutes. I highly doubt too many people on here could do that with all that pressure on their shoulders.

People are coming down on his mechanic but to me he's done one hell of a job to make sure Jason's bike is prepared for every race which has allowed him to have a big enough points lead to where this mechanical probably won't make any difference for the championship. I think the guy deserves a round of applause for that.

|

4/30/2018 3:25 PM

That is still a whole lap worth of time in an sx, and they knew about it coming in

|

4/30/2018 3:42 PM

crashnburn11 wrote:

That is still a whole lap worth of time in an sx, and they knew about it coming in

Imagine the difference that would make in this case though, didn't look at the time differences but probably would have been a handful more positions.
That said though I don't think the mechanic took long for what he had to do, but maybe things could be made easier ie all the tools to change a front tire are in a bag taped to the spare tire or something, not buried in a full backpack

|