Helping privateers

rallendude
Edited Date/Time 12/11/2012 6:11pm
I got a call from a friend of mine today asking my input on an idea he had for helping privateers. I told him I'd run it by here and see what the feel was.

Basically, he was considering building a website where a privateer rider could build a profile and advertise himself to the public. I said, "you mean like Sponsorhouse/Loop'd?" He said, "similar, but instead of marketing the privateer to the industry, it would be marketing him to the public." Sort of an easy place to link in contact info, updates on results, link a FB page, post photos, future plans, what's going on now, all with an easy, paypal type way for a fan to donate $20 one time, or $5 a month or $300 a month or whatever.

The question is, would you donate money to your favorite privateer this way if it was readily available? The thought is, if you would use it, the riders will find their way to it. It would be a 'not for profit' site, so the site builder wouldn't be looking to cash in on donation percentages. Just a way to help buy diesel fuel, or pay entry fees for a guy that might otherwise be racing a local race because he can't afford to go to nationals, even though he could qualify.

Oh, another thing was to make a domain pool for those just looking to help and a lotto or voting process where the funds gathered each week go to the chosen privateer.

What say you?
|
Hando
12/7/2012 6:12pm
This kind of reminds me of the SEC's new ruling to allow Hedge Funds, Private Equity Firms and other business entities to market directly to consumers to raise funds Smile hehe

I personally wouldn't donate money to any privateers unless I knew them personally, but I know there are fans out there with money, that will.

This could be marketed very well if you had a regional sales rep type of person to cover a few tracks and do advertising at tracks ,IMO.
Dudley
12/7/2012 7:16pm
I've donated to similar efforts that basically sell t shirts and stickers where the profits go to the rider. I would probably donate to something like this, especially to a privateer I was familiar with.
montesagold
12/7/2012 8:06pm
Checkout bandcamp.com, I've Not checked it out but have some friends in bands that have a page set up. Sounds similar, They have it set up to donate to bands on the road. I would throw out a few bucks towards some guys on the road. Go for it!
lumpy790
12/8/2012 6:18am
had that idea years ago .... just send the funds straight to the racers paypal account. Promoting it is the difficult part.

The Shop

Has~Been
12/8/2012 6:34am
If you're an American taxpayer, we already do!!

Check out who my 42.5% sponsors...*Philly Hang Gang* and of course MF Monsters fav..Wheelie BoyZ...

Racing n riding is a luxury and promoting races is a business, the goal of business is to make a profit.

If you want to help a hard working taxpayer, pm for my pay pal, I'd love to ride/race/workout/live on you're dime.
Cspicer
12/8/2012 6:52am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2012 6:57am
Hando wrote:
This kind of reminds me of the SEC's new ruling to allow Hedge Funds, Private Equity Firms and other business entities to market directly to consumers...
This kind of reminds me of the SEC's new ruling to allow Hedge Funds, Private Equity Firms and other business entities to market directly to consumers to raise funds Smile hehe

I personally wouldn't donate money to any privateers unless I knew them personally, but I know there are fans out there with money, that will.

This could be marketed very well if you had a regional sales rep type of person to cover a few tracks and do advertising at tracks ,IMO.
Do you mean crowd funding?
PPS Moto
12/8/2012 7:26am
I've been thinking of / working on (a very small amount) something just like this
rallendude
12/8/2012 10:21am
Motohose, I figured it had been tried. I think he's looking at making it more from a social media format. I even asked him if he wanted me to be vague about the question so no one else stole the idea. He said he wasn't looking to protect it, if someone else wanted to take it and run with it that was fine. He was pretty clear that he felt it should be a non-profit so all the benefits go to racers.

I wondered if it could be more successful by taking the money donated and investing it in some quick turn around profits. Maybe take $200 and turn it into $220 or something. The drawback is, if there's opportunity for profit, there is risk for losing as well.

Anyway, it seems like a good idea to me. He's very effective at marketing and might be the right person to make it work. I was concerned that some of the riders who would be looking to benefit from it may not have the smarts required to work the system. Hopefully we'll get to see how it works out.
12/8/2012 5:41pm
I've helped so many privateers in the past in every way shape or form. In the end, it never works out and the person helping gets screwed. Just ask Warthog owner, Scott Kandel and he will gladly give you all sorts of crazy advise on how to waste your money on ungrateful riders.
12/8/2012 9:55pm
We have been busting our butts for 2 years trying to raise money for the three guys I have...Its not easy. I have a website, we have been on racer x, vital and more sites,all social media, pay-pal, t-shirt sales etc etc etc all the money goes to the riders...We really appreciate all the help we get but its a definate struggle each year but we do what we can do. These privateers are just trying to use their skills and live their dream while they can. They know they aren't going to be rich off of it for sure but they are chasing dreams anyway possible and they don't wanna look back at it and say I should've tried it. A couple of my guys work really hard all summer to save enough money to give it a shot during SX. www.rfmotorsportsusa.com
mx918
12/9/2012 7:22am
I've helped so many privateers in the past in every way shape or form. In the end, it never works out and the person helping gets...
I've helped so many privateers in the past in every way shape or form. In the end, it never works out and the person helping gets screwed. Just ask Warthog owner, Scott Kandel and he will gladly give you all sorts of crazy advise on how to waste your money on ungrateful riders.
While you are correct in saying there are ungreatful riders out their who have received help, it is unfortunate that a few unappreciative riders can ruin it for everyone.

I don't like to come on here begging for giveaways, but if an individual or a company is looking to support a privateer, I'd love to talk with them and see what I can offer them in return for some support for the season.
12/11/2012 6:11pm
Keep up the good work Michael... I wish I had the budget or any budget for that matter I'd love to help ya. Its a shame there are a lot of ungrateful riders out there but the ones like you and the guys I support make it all worth while.

Post a reply to: Helping privateers

The Latest