Helping load/unload bikes at track..

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2017 11:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2017 11:12 PM

If I remember correctly, a couple months back, Mathes and keefer talked about the topic of helping people unload/load bikes out of pick up trucks on the PulpMX show. It went somewhere along the lines of “If you can’t do it by yourself, you shouldn’t be riding”.

Well, here I am. Just barely able to do it by myself laughing anyways.

Is it cool to ask for a hand while unloading and loading bikes? If someone asked me I’d gladly lend a hand.

What do you guys think? Do you agree if you can’t unload and load by yourself you shouldn’t ride?

Btw, my truck is not lifted, it’s just me and my weak upper body laughing

|

9/23/2017 11:22 PM

Use a ramp. Simple.

I agree if you cant load and unload out of a ute maybe you need to switch to a van or low trailer.

Ride it up- good balance and clutch control
Roll it down using your stand to help with the height.
If your game. roll it down the ramp while sitting on it.

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

9/23/2017 11:34 PM

Aussie_power_sports wrote:

Use a ramp. Simple.

I agree if you cant load and unload out of a ute maybe you need to switch to a van or low trailer.

Ride it up- good balance and clutch control
Roll it down using your stand to help with the height.
If your game. roll it down the ramp while sitting on it.

Granted I will mention I am fresh off a shoulder injury. The motion of pushing my bike up the ramp doesn’t exactly feel great, but I can ride the bike pain free.

I live in Oregon and although it’s not illegal, A forest ranger once saw my brother ride his bike onto the ramp into the truck and WAS NOT happy about. Plus I think it’s a little sketchy but that’s just me. Maybe I’ll give it a crack tomorrow.

|

9/23/2017 11:38 PM

craigathan404 wrote:

Granted I will mention I am fresh off a shoulder injury. The motion of pushing my bike up the ramp doesn’t exactly feel great, but I can ride the bike pain free.

I live in Oregon and although it’s not illegal, A forest ranger once saw my brother ride his bike onto the ramp into the truck and WAS NOT happy about. Plus I think it’s a little sketchy but that’s just me. Maybe I’ll give it a crack tomorrow.

You probably shouldnt be riding if your shoulder is weak like that. You may not have the strength to prevent a crash.

Dont see why its a problem if he had a helmet on. But if your balance and clutch control is not at a reasonable level maybe practice first. Seen a few guys stall mid way up the ramp and eat shit

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

9/24/2017 3:26 AM

Trifold tamp. Easiest thing ever. Ride it up. Walk it down with the front brake. have been doing this since I was 12.

|

9/24/2017 3:32 AM

Its why Pick up trucks are useless for carrying a motorcycle. Always wanted one, loaded a bike in one once, dont want one any more.

Unless is an El Camino.

|

9/24/2017 4:13 AM

Buy a van

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

9/24/2017 5:00 AM

Wow, ride the bike into the truck. Have been doing it for years, nothing sketchy about it. Sale it, buy a cat and go the Bruce Jenner route. Unreal

|

9/24/2017 5:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2017 5:07 AM

Old S10s and Rangers are pretty easy to step on to. Full size ,especially 4wd pickups with higher suspension not so much. Riding up can be sketchy. I usually use my bike stand to step up or if you can , find an area where the ground is sloped making it less of a step up. Pickups are not ideal though. I've been thinking about getting a hitch carrier. What I want to know is what does Matthes know about loading/unloading a bike from a pickup ? Doesn't he drive a Ridgeline ?wink Edit : Ah yes .... The usual vital "tough" guy responses.

|

9/24/2017 5:11 AM

Also if someone does ask for help I'm glad to do it . I would think most are.

|

9/24/2017 5:38 AM

|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

9/24/2017 6:10 AM

Mathes has no right to make fun of anybody for any reason.

|

9/24/2017 6:11 AM

My moto transportation setup is designed around me loading/unloading by my self. I would always help someone if they needed it.

|

9/24/2017 6:26 AM

nascarnate326 wrote:

My moto transportation setup is designed around me loading/unloading by my self. I would always help someone if they needed it.

Same for me for the past 13+ years at least.

|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

9/24/2017 6:30 AM

Folding ramp and a folding plastic stool (or stand). However, if your shoulder is so bad you can't load your bike, you don't need to be riding. This from someone who just got back on the bike after a year of letting my shoulder(s) heal.

|

9/24/2017 6:34 AM

Highsider wrote:

I feel like a beer was involved.

Oh, nothing wrong with asking for help.

|

9/24/2017 6:52 AM

The key to getting a bike into the back of a truck is momentum on the ground. Either way, riding or pushing , getting the bike moving on the ground fast enough that it basically loads itself and all you do is guide/ride. I too have a truck and consider tailgate height a major concrn upon purchase. Plus look for slopes and what not in the parking lots to make it easier and I am A tall guy. Oh had shoulder surgery too and felt that little pain loading for atleast a year afterwards.

|

9/24/2017 7:03 AM

I use a step stool and park my truck so I have gravity to aid me when loading up at the end of the day.

Didn't think there was this much mystery about loading and using a truck. Where I ride I would say it's easily 80% pickups used to transport.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

9/24/2017 7:11 AM

I'm short and some of my trucks are tall:; so, every now and then I need a little help getting my bike out...I usually ride it back in.

If I'm around and someone needs a hand? I'm glad to give it.

Karma (like certain egos as mentioned on a specific podcast) is a relative thing.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

9/24/2017 7:17 AM

My parents were divorced and I lived with my mom. When I was on 80’s my mom could / would help load the bike into the truck. Once a 125 was in the garage she wasn’t strong enough to help me anymore,so she quickly said you want to ride you’ll find a way to load it.
So I’m a firm believer in if you can’t load it you shouldn’t be riding. With that being said I lend a hand if someone needs help.

|

9/24/2017 7:19 AM

works everytime.
|

9/24/2017 7:19 AM

I've seen guys throw the back end of the bike out while they step down. It's amazing and the guy was over 60. I tried it and smashed my tailgate. I'll video next time he does it.

|

9/24/2017 7:25 AM

49weasel wrote:

My parents were divorced and I lived with my mom. When I was on 80’s my mom could / would help load the bike into the truck. Once a 125 was in the garage she wasn’t strong enough to help me anymore,so she quickly said you want to ride you’ll find a way to load it.
So I’m a firm believer in if you can’t load it you shouldn’t be riding. With that being said I lend a hand if someone needs help.

Go back and contemplate your mom's point...

It's not about you doing it by yourself, it's about you being able to figure things out.

That's probably why a guy like you is perfectly willing to lend a hand.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

9/24/2017 7:34 AM

Perfectly fine to ask for help. Only a real dick would say no if you ask politely.

|

KX125

9/24/2017 7:39 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

I'm short and some of my trucks are tall:; so, every now and then I need a little help getting my bike out...I usually ride it back in.

If I'm around and someone needs a hand? I'm glad to give it.

Karma (like certain egos as mentioned on a specific podcast) is a relative thing.

I agree. What's the big deal if someone needs a push? My 70 year old dad still likes to ride. He's been riding for 50 years. God forbid he may need a hand once in awhile.

|

9/24/2017 7:41 AM

Usually by myself when go to the track and always use a truck to get there. I have a trusty "metal" milk crate that i've had for over 25 years that I bring along. Use it to hold my stand on the way to the track and a step when loading/unloading. Try to be smart where you park. Park "down hill" whenever possible, easier loading and usually it's not too difficult to unload. And of course don't be afraid to ask for help. Most moto people are good people and are more than willing to help out.

|

9/24/2017 7:45 AM

Also forgot one of my favorite moto moments. I'm "small in stature", when I was 18 or so I guess you would call me scrawny....I had just one my first race in the C class and was loading up my bike after the race. The guy next to me was having his girlfriend help him load up, she says "look at him, if he can load his bike by himself, you should be able to". I was probably a little too cocky for winning a C class race but said "yeah I finished ahead of him also". She smiled at me, don't think he was too happy!

|

9/24/2017 7:51 AM

MR. X wrote:

Mathes has no right to make fun of anybody for any reason.

This.

|

9/24/2017 7:52 AM

I'm 52 and can load and unload by myself no problem but at the end of the day when I'm tired as shit I sometimes ask for a little push as do most of my buddies. I have a 15 f150 4wd btw. I like Mathes but he can suck it .

|

9/24/2017 9:13 AM

HenryA wrote:

Perfectly fine to ask for help. Only a real dick would say no if you ask politely.

Yes, if you are not comfortable riding it into the truck and can not push it and use the bike stand as a step then just ask someone. Honestly, it would shock me for someone to say no to something like that.

For the weary of riding up the regular alum bike ramp, this may be a good investment that is useful at home for your lawn mowers, atvs etc. It ties to the tailgate so you do not have to worry about spinning out the ramp.
Photo

|