Help with new track

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2018 12:51 PM

Hey guys,
Finally made my dream come true and built a track on my property. Kinda modeled it after Zaca Station with the elevation changes. Problem is I live in California and we didn't get much rain this year so when the track builder started scooping dirt it didn't have as much moisture as he thought it would. As a result, a week later it's totally powder and the jumps get destroyed every time I ride over them. Any advice on how to get it compacted and hardened? It was built with a D4 dozer so weight has already been applied in an effort to compact.
Much TY in advance tongue

|

5/11/2018 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2018 12:56 PM

Sounds like you already know the issue.... Sounds like you need a way to water that track!

|

5/11/2018 1:03 PM

Dig, water, pack it in, repeat. Best you can do without something with a clay base that holds water. Maybe try some saw dust just dont over-do it.

|

5/11/2018 1:08 PM

You could try would chips and sawdust as a base on jumps with about a foot of dirt over it. Would retain moisture and keep it from losing it’s shape too much.

You need clay the most; mix it in with the top soil and it should hopefully be thick enough where it doesn’t turn to dust.

If you can get a hose out there, use a lawn sprinkler and a timer and have it water it during the hotter parts of the day so the sun doesn’t evaporate the moisture and turn it into a powder mess.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

5/11/2018 1:29 PM

Time and water. Even my sandy sections will pack over time, we get much more rain than you though. If you have access to a free water source just soak the jumps as much as possible.

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

5/11/2018 1:37 PM

I've spent some time on construction sites in the Paso Robles area. The dirt is total moon powder and the area is very dry. Water is a huge part of the bill for the earth work for any construction project around there. I hope you don't have any vineyards close by. They hate dust getting on the grapes.

|

Powerband in every gear !

5/11/2018 3:42 PM

Sorry for the long post. I live much further north in California, where we get alot more rain than you guys do, but rain is over for the Summer here too! Since you won't see rain for 6 months though the suggestion of watering the heck out of your take offs and landings is a good one if you can get a hose and sprinkler out there. It might be a lot of work, but if you don’t have any heavy equipment I would suggest raking the messed up jump faces to the correct shape and then soak them over a period of a few a days (not constant water, but water until it starts to run off instead of soaking in, shut it off, water again later in the day. Whatever it takes to get the water down deep). If your dirt is anything like mine it will turn into concrete without even needing compaction with heavy equipment if you get enough water on it, and get the water down deep enough. A big 4x4 would pack them down pretty well too if ground is wet. I would keep the bikes off it until it is dry and has hardened up. That may not work though on your soil, I don’t know. I used to live in Orcutt, but that was all sand down there. One other thing I have done, works fine, but kind of lame, is to take a piece of plywood and screw some old carpet to it on the edges, and use that at the top of the take-off if your take-offs keep eroding. The plywood could be temporary at least until next Winter. I still have a piece of plywood on a jump face at the top of a 4 story high takeoff on one of my triple step-ups! The dirt on that part of property just won’t stay together for some reason…. Good luck!

|

5/11/2018 4:06 PM

Water, water, water.

It wont get better until the dirt has moisture content. Pushing silty dirt will just result in blown out jumps and berms.

Pray for rain, or rent a water truck.

|

5/11/2018 7:34 PM

Yeah man, either water truck or dig for a well and plum in water lines.

Zaca mixed in tons of sand into the track the last hand full of years. That really helps keep it moist all day.

PS. If you need help breaking in the track, I’d be stoked to ride!

|

5/12/2018 12:13 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the suggestions. I figured only heavy water would fix it, and sounds like that's correct. I have water on the property just concerned about over taxing my well. May have to bite the bullet and rent a water truck.

|