Help out a Milestone Mx theft victim

6IX
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 6:44pm
The stories of theft at Milestone Raceway have permeated the MX community by now, and this stuff has got to stop!!

When I heard that a friend and fellow videographer had over 6 grand in equipment (basically his entire production setup) stolen from his locked truck at Milestone Mx, it really hit me just how crappy and violated you’d feel if it happened to you. I think we can all imagine having our dirt bikes stolen, and to us video and photo guys, we look at our camera equipment in much the same way. It’s a passion and a hobby we invest in meticulously, and to have it taken away by some faceless scumbag has got to be one of the worst feelings ever.

Kyle ‘elmo’ Cowling of The Obscura Creative Group has been giving back to the MX community for many years now, most notably as a photographer for Transworld MX, and now as one of the best upcoming moto video producers out there. The thought of not seeing Kyle’s regular web edits hit the moto websites just doesn’t sit too well with me. He has made an honest living working hard to be able to invest in the equipment he needs to get the job done, and now he suddenly finds himself at square one again.

Times are tough, but if want to help out someone who gives back to the MX community with great video coverage regularly, please donate and let’s help get Kyle back to work making some of the best videos out there.

Go to www.paypal.com and click on the link to “Send Money”. A fund has been setup to help Kyle and The Obscura Creative group replace the equipment that was stolen at Milestone Mx. Please use the following e-mail for all donations sent:

TheCreativeReliefFund@gmail.com

There may be a $3 fee if you are paying by credit card but it is waived it you pay through a bank account or other means. I’ve got the first $100 on this effort, who’s next!?

I'd like to thank FMX Pro Bryce Hudson for initiating this idea and ultimately taking the first step to help out one of his moto brethren. Thanks B-Hud!

-L.Barnes
www.exarteproductions.com
|
mxb2
7/1/2011 3:40pm
Would nt the insurance cover the loss?
6IX
7/1/2011 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2011 3:47pm
In this case it was not covered. You have to have the specific extra coverage on your auto policy (I dont think many of us do).

How many of us insure our dirt bikes either. ??
mxb2
7/1/2011 3:52pm
I think people are crazy not having a $8000 toy insured! Progrressive and geico insure dirt bikes. Renters insurance covers items stolen from your vehicle thats not bolted on the vehicle. Vehicle insurance usually won t cover it unless its attached to the vehicle. My buddy does nt have it cause he is cheap and does nt want to pay the policy premiums. and he learned the hard way, his yzf was stolen and no coverage. may as well have thrown 7 g s out the window. $25 bucks a month is a nice peace of mind. I work for a large police dept and see this all the time and it sucks, better safe than sorry.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
7/1/2011 3:58pm
My photography equipment is scheduled through my renter's insurance. It doesn't matter if I drop it off of a cliff, if it gets rained on, or if it gets jacked from my house or the track, it's covered fully. It doesn't cover defects though, but that's when accidents happen.

The Shop

mxb2
7/1/2011 4:05pm
T-Fish wrote:
My photography equipment is scheduled through my renter's insurance. It doesn't matter if I drop it off of a cliff, if it gets rained on, or...
My photography equipment is scheduled through my renter's insurance. It doesn't matter if I drop it off of a cliff, if it gets rained on, or if it gets jacked from my house or the track, it's covered fully. It doesn't cover defects though, but that's when accidents happen.
x2
The Rock
7/1/2011 4:10pm
mxb2 wrote:
I think people are crazy not having a $8000 toy insured! Progrressive and geico insure dirt bikes. Renters insurance covers items stolen from your vehicle thats...
I think people are crazy not having a $8000 toy insured! Progrressive and geico insure dirt bikes. Renters insurance covers items stolen from your vehicle thats not bolted on the vehicle. Vehicle insurance usually won t cover it unless its attached to the vehicle. My buddy does nt have it cause he is cheap and does nt want to pay the policy premiums. and he learned the hard way, his yzf was stolen and no coverage. may as well have thrown 7 g s out the window. $25 bucks a month is a nice peace of mind. I work for a large police dept and see this all the time and it sucks, better safe than sorry.
I think people are crazy for going to Milestone and leaving ANYTHING unattended regardless if it is locked or insured. Either go with a friend who can watch your stuff or find some where else to ride.

BTW I really like Milestone but hate thieves more.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
7/1/2011 4:10pm
T-Fish wrote:
My photography equipment is scheduled through my renter's insurance. It doesn't matter if I drop it off of a cliff, if it gets rained on, or...
Oh, and my insurance guy said my dirt scooter is covered as well. He said it's considered to be the same thing as a bicycle because it's not titled or street legal and can only be used for recreational use.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
7/1/2011 4:12pm
I'm not going to donate, but if the dude goes to Millville and needs a camera, he can use mine. I saw in another thread he uses the same body as what I have.
karterron
7/1/2011 4:13pm
I'm with the others, had he bought insurance he would have been covered. Maybe he needs this life lesson to learn when to be cheap and when not to. Other people bailing him out with donations won't teach that.

Hate to be an ass, but maybe this is a life lesson he needs to learn.
mxb2
7/1/2011 4:14pm
mxb2 wrote:
I think people are crazy not having a $8000 toy insured! Progrressive and geico insure dirt bikes. Renters insurance covers items stolen from your vehicle thats...
The Rock wrote:
I think people are crazy for going to Milestone and leaving ANYTHING unattended regardless if it is locked or insured. Either go with a friend who...
I think people are crazy for going to Milestone and leaving ANYTHING unattended regardless if it is locked or insured. Either go with a friend who can watch your stuff or find some where else to ride.

BTW I really like Milestone but hate thieves more.
Yep thats what i posted in the other theft post!, insure it , lock it up, have a friend stick around your stuff, or do not go there!
MXD
7/1/2011 7:43pm
karterron wrote:
I'm with the others, had he bought insurance he would have been covered. Maybe he needs this life lesson to learn when to be cheap and...
I'm with the others, had he bought insurance he would have been covered. Maybe he needs this life lesson to learn when to be cheap and when not to. Other people bailing him out with donations won't teach that.

Or, you could take this opportunity to teach him a lesson about the compassion and generosity that exists in our small community. I'm sure his next set of gear will be insured, you can bet that lesson is already learned.
7/1/2011 8:00pm
MXD wrote:
Or, you could take this opportunity to teach him a lesson about the compassion and generosity that exists in our small community. I'm sure his next...
Or, you could take this opportunity to teach him a lesson about the compassion and generosity that exists in our small community. I'm sure his next set of gear will be insured, you can bet that lesson is already learned.
Word.
jndmx
7/1/2011 8:05pm
T-Fish wrote:
Oh, and my insurance guy said my dirt scooter is covered as well. He said it's considered to be the same thing as a bicycle because...
Oh, and my insurance guy said my dirt scooter is covered as well. He said it's considered to be the same thing as a bicycle because it's not titled or street legal and can only be used for recreational use.
You may want to verify that with the actual company that carries your policy.

Most of the time a dirt bike is not covered by homeowners or auto becaue it is a motor vehicle.
Registered or not it isn't a bicycle and you may be in for a rude surprise when you go to file a claim.
Clapped
7/1/2011 8:18pm
MXD wrote:
Or, you could take this opportunity to teach him a lesson about the compassion and generosity that exists in our small community. I'm sure his next...
Word.
x2!
newmann
7/1/2011 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2011 8:35pm
T-Fish wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
x2
You just get through telling the internet that you work for a large police department and then you tell someone that committing insurance fraud is cool?Huh Must be one of them fur stroke lubbers.....lol
mxb2
7/1/2011 8:46pm
Na newmann,x2 on getting coverage, some people learn the hard way! Negative on the fraud, must be the 927 your sniffing, lol!
90smxer
7/1/2011 9:07pm
If you don't have an umbrella policy you are asking for trouble. It amazes me that people do not adequately protect themselves. Anybody above poverty level should be able to afford a comprehensive umbrella policy.
newmann
7/1/2011 9:08pm
mxb2 wrote:
Na newmann,x2 on getting coverage, some people learn the hard way! Negative on the fraud, must be the 927 your sniffing, lol!
I've got so much vintage junk that it's not feasible to insure all of it. Keep saying I'm going to thin the herd, then something else shows up. I'm insurance poor, but their are still lots of things around here that aren't insured. And for everybody who assumes homeowners or auto insurance is going to cover things stolen out of your vehicle or cover dirt bikes, you better re-read your policy. Insurance varies state to state , company to company and your agent doesn't always know exactly what he's selling.

And for all you guys whose wives have a big jewelry chest sitting right next to the patio french doors in the bedroom, please tell them not to be putting the good shit in there. I bought my wife a really nice watch for our 25th Anniversary and I saw her put it in there one day. I almost blew a gasket. That thing by itself costs several (not a couple, not a few ) hundred a year to insure. It is the only jewelry of hers that is covered. Getting robbed would suck.
newmann
7/1/2011 9:09pm
90smxer wrote:
If you don't have an umbrella policy you are asking for trouble. It amazes me that people do not adequately protect themselves. Anybody above poverty level...
If you don't have an umbrella policy you are asking for trouble. It amazes me that people do not adequately protect themselves. Anybody above poverty level should be able to afford a comprehensive umbrella policy.
Still, under that, there are many things left without coverage.
90smxer
7/1/2011 9:11pm
90smxer wrote:
If you don't have an umbrella policy you are asking for trouble. It amazes me that people do not adequately protect themselves. Anybody above poverty level...
newmann wrote:
Still, under that, there are many things left without coverage.
Only if you leave them out when creating your policy with the insurance company. A fully customized umbrella policy is obtainable by anybody.
newmann
7/1/2011 9:12pm
mxb2 wrote:
H1R.....Smell 'dat Bel-Ray!
DanDunes818
7/1/2011 9:23pm
karterron wrote:
I'm with the others, had he bought insurance he would have been covered. Maybe he needs this life lesson to learn when to be cheap and...

Wow! Really? I understand if some people don't want to help Kyle, but really? I love the I hate to be an ass part too... Why hate something you seem so good at..
Mod Killer
7/1/2011 9:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2011 10:06pm
how many of you clamoring for insurance have actually had to file a claim?

i had my car broken into. 10k stereo stolen. brand new. had reciepts. had full coverage through progressive. had full coverage because of the stereo and made sure when i got the policy that they would cover the stereo.

the pieces of shit wrote me a 1500 check and long story short, my only recourse was legal action.

insurance companys that dont uphold their policies are the real frauds. i will never trust any type of insurance company again.

there is no guarantee that kyle would have been written a check to cover his losses.

btw, money sent.

Post a reply to: Help out a Milestone Mx theft victim

The Latest