Help me choose a bike

kawi448
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 6:27pm
some background, I'm currently a midpack C rider, I can go C sandbagger speed for a few corners but I'm currently working on my cardio and technique obviously. I weigh ~175 on a good (heavy) day.

I started on an 85 when I was 14 so a little late, and I only rode it at a track 2 times. I then bought a yz125 which I rode for 3 years, but after the first year of being a total goon I realized the jetting was atrociously fucked up, and I rebuilt it too, and found out it was bored to 134. I could never get the jetting total dialed, but I did get it quite a bit better than originally. It was way too rich and ran like it, which obviously impeded my riding. I had so much fun on this bike, I loved holding it wide open through the whooped out shit in 5th or 6th and just bouncing off shit holding it wide. My smile was so big.

At the same time, the suspension was waaaaay too soft, and with the engine being a little weird I got frustrated with it and I sought the stability and smooth power of the four stroke, which I thought would help me get better faster.

Face palm moment: I (stupidly) bought a 450, and have been riding that ever since. Don't get me wrong for a second. I love the bike, the power is amazing and the handling is very predictable. But 450s are known to cover up mistakes and allow you to be a little lazy.

I'm wondering if this is hampering my development as a rider and my technique, and if its causing me to get better slower than I would on a more suitable bike. I can definitely ride the thing, I'm not a total goon, I have raced c class with it, but Idk.

A small part of me wants that fun factor of the two stroke and the lightweight and easy cheap maintenance.

I feel really stupid selling my 450 after buying it, that is if I do sell it.

1st. question, should I sell the 450 and your opinion on its effects on my development of skill as a rider?

2nd question, if so what bike should I buy? I don't really want a 250f even though logically that's probably the best thing to develop skills on, and I feel like a 125 is a little too small and underpowered, personally. I love 125's but as my main bike I don't know. 250f maintenance just is the killing factor for me. that leaves 250 2 strokes, which I know are animals, but theres flywheel weights and different things you can do to tone them down a bit. and I like 250's Ive ridden them, but they rip.

I know I'm probably faster on my 450 as of right now, because 450s are easy to go fast on artificially, but I want to get better, as fast as possible.
|
JBernard_401
1/6/2015 12:33am
ktm 150sx for just pure playing around and learning

ktm 250sx
rm250
yz250

if youre remotely worried about racing against 450s for some reason

i dont see going from a 450 to a 250f really learning how to ride the bike. they are both lazy bikes, one you just shift less on.

The Shop

Crush
1/6/2015 2:53am
Any modern 250effi or an 89 CR of you wanna pull mad holies!
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
1/6/2015 4:09am
Sounds like you already answered your own question. 450 hampering riding skill development...250F too much maintenance...125 underpowered. A 150 or YZ144 is significantly more powerful than a 125. That could be an option. 250t's are a lot of fun too but can be a handful. Can you buy a 150 or 250 and keep the 450 in case you prefer it?
kawi448
1/6/2015 9:40am
I really appreciate the pictures, very helpful.

I really just wanted your opinions,
gsxr6
1/6/2015 5:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 5:19pm
The 02 to 07 cr 250 is for u . handling is decent and the motor stock requires a lot of focus to go fast. They are like a 125 motor wise but with a lot more low end, just not close to other jap 250s. The top end on the other hand is is quite a bit. They rev almost too high. Love my 02 cr as it can hit any line I aim for always, and if u pretend its a 125 its like lightspeed. Just don't think ur gonna short shift it like a low mid motor and u will be good.
gsxr6
1/6/2015 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 5:36pm
And I also own a a 14 yz450f so I understand exactly where u are coming from with this

I moved the bars to the forward most position to help keep the front end down. Don't have a problem getting forward even with my knee braces on.
gsxr6
1/6/2015 5:24pm
Love the 450f. Am so glad the cr isn't sold or gone( I hung on to it wisely lol). Would have probably bought a yz250 If I had it all to do over again. The 450 is just alot. Reminds me of trying to ride a damn unicycle lol.
gsxr6
1/6/2015 5:28pm
The 450 is fun and it def is nice in a drag race, but I wouldn't try this on it

Sandberm
1/6/2015 5:51pm
You can develope your skills just fine on the 450 if thats really what your worried about. I dont think thats really the case, I think you just like buying new bikes from time to time.

If thats the case then I would get a YZ 250 2 stroke. It'll have plenty of power for your C class skills and it will feel different and new compared to the 450.

Dont forget, in addition to bike buying tips, we here at Vital give out medical advise too.
Panic_Rev
1/6/2015 6:03pm
kawi448 wrote:
some background, I'm currently a midpack C rider, I can go C sandbagger speed for a few corners but I'm currently working on my cardio and...
some background, I'm currently a midpack C rider, I can go C sandbagger speed for a few corners but I'm currently working on my cardio and technique obviously. I weigh ~175 on a good (heavy) day.

I started on an 85 when I was 14 so a little late, and I only rode it at a track 2 times. I then bought a yz125 which I rode for 3 years, but after the first year of being a total goon I realized the jetting was atrociously fucked up, and I rebuilt it too, and found out it was bored to 134. I could never get the jetting total dialed, but I did get it quite a bit better than originally. It was way too rich and ran like it, which obviously impeded my riding. I had so much fun on this bike, I loved holding it wide open through the whooped out shit in 5th or 6th and just bouncing off shit holding it wide. My smile was so big.

At the same time, the suspension was waaaaay too soft, and with the engine being a little weird I got frustrated with it and I sought the stability and smooth power of the four stroke, which I thought would help me get better faster.

Face palm moment: I (stupidly) bought a 450, and have been riding that ever since. Don't get me wrong for a second. I love the bike, the power is amazing and the handling is very predictable. But 450s are known to cover up mistakes and allow you to be a little lazy.

I'm wondering if this is hampering my development as a rider and my technique, and if its causing me to get better slower than I would on a more suitable bike. I can definitely ride the thing, I'm not a total goon, I have raced c class with it, but Idk.

A small part of me wants that fun factor of the two stroke and the lightweight and easy cheap maintenance.

I feel really stupid selling my 450 after buying it, that is if I do sell it.

1st. question, should I sell the 450 and your opinion on its effects on my development of skill as a rider?

2nd question, if so what bike should I buy? I don't really want a 250f even though logically that's probably the best thing to develop skills on, and I feel like a 125 is a little too small and underpowered, personally. I love 125's but as my main bike I don't know. 250f maintenance just is the killing factor for me. that leaves 250 2 strokes, which I know are animals, but theres flywheel weights and different things you can do to tone them down a bit. and I like 250's Ive ridden them, but they rip.

I know I'm probably faster on my 450 as of right now, because 450s are easy to go fast on artificially, but I want to get better, as fast as possible.
At the level you say you are at I don't see the maintenance cost being much on a Yamaha 250f. If I was you I would move down to a 250f.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
1/6/2015 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 6:28pm
Sandberm wrote:
You can develope your skills just fine on the 450 if thats really what your worried about. I dont think thats really the case, I think...
You can develope your skills just fine on the 450 if thats really what your worried about. I dont think thats really the case, I think you just like buying new bikes from time to time.

If thats the case then I would get a YZ 250 2 stroke. It'll have plenty of power for your C class skills and it will feel different and new compared to the 450.

Dont forget, in addition to bike buying tips, we here at Vital give out medical advise too.
thank you sandberm. that caught me off guard. lmao. so i have this pain...............

op-yzf250. done.

Post a reply to: Help me choose a bike

The Latest