Help Settle Bet - Anyone Ever "Quint" in AMA Supercross Track

FahQ
9/5/2018 7:25pm
If you scooped out the middle of a tabletop (aka “elongated single”) you would have two singles, which equates to a double. The key point is...
If you scooped out the middle of a tabletop (aka “elongated single”) you would have two singles, which equates to a double. The key point is there is little consequence to landing in the middle of an elongated single (aka “tabletop”). If you land in between two singles (aka “a double”) you will suffer consequences.

Another way of putting it is if you were to fill in the space between a double, you would have an elongated single (“tabletop”) and you would only fill in the space between a double if you were a wuss and didn’t want to suffer consequences. That’s why vet tracks are nothing but elongated singles; because they are safer.
Landing in the middle of a single sucks, landing in the middle of a tabletop not so much
jeffro503
9/5/2018 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 7:42pm
SPODEBOY wrote:
So if you scooped the middle out of the table what would it be? It is a quad with the middle filled in. Go back to...
So if you scooped the middle out of the table what would it be? It is a quad with the middle filled in. Go back to 7th grade geometry boys... LoL.
Spode......what is the distance people should use on considering a table , a double , triple or quad?

Seriously....I have asked this question about 100 times on here , and nobody has given me a strait answer. Where and how I grew up......you calculate what is called a double , triple or quad , by the amount of " landing rams available. NOT by the distance!

So how long is a table that is considered a double?
How long is a table that is considered a triple?
How long is a table to be considered a quad?

This whole conversation is new within the past 5 years or so , and quite frankly , stupid as shit!

So if we have 1 single. And a 30' table.......what's that called?
If we have the exact same single and a 80' table.......what's that called?
What about the same single and a 140' long table......what do we call that?

Who decided what the measurement's on a table top , to start calling them double's , triple and quad's? Again......distance mean's absolutely nothing! It's the amount of down ward facing landing ramps that name that specific jump a double , triple or quad.
tcallahan707
9/5/2018 7:44pm
SPODEBOY wrote:
So if you scooped the middle out of the table what would it be? It is a quad with the middle filled in. Go back to...
So if you scooped the middle out of the table what would it be? It is a quad with the middle filled in. Go back to 7th grade geometry boys... LoL.
If you scooped out the middle of a tabletop (aka “elongated single”) you would have two singles, which equates to a double. The key point is...
If you scooped out the middle of a tabletop (aka “elongated single”) you would have two singles, which equates to a double. The key point is there is little consequence to landing in the middle of an elongated single (aka “tabletop”). If you land in between two singles (aka “a double”) you will suffer consequences.

Another way of putting it is if you were to fill in the space between a double, you would have an elongated single (“tabletop”) and you would only fill in the space between a double if you were a wuss and didn’t want to suffer consequences. That’s why vet tracks are nothing but elongated singles; because they are safer.
The question then becomes, how elongated does a single need to be for it to be a table. If I catch a little air off an extremely rounded single, to the point of having a flat spot on top (say a few feet), did I just clear something?

Another way to look at it is... if I triple on to a very short table and my front wheel gets over the "flat spot", did that just change what I cleared?

It appears that the length of the table matters.

Thunder Valley tabled out the landing of the triple out of the hole (parallel with finish line) a few years ago. There were definitely three different places to land. My ego is claiming the quad Laughing
jeffro503
9/5/2018 7:46pm
Oh and why were at it.

If I have two mounds of dirt , 30' apart......considered a double right?

What if those two mounds of dirt are 100' apart?

If I cleared it about a thousand times , it would still be called a double. If I took a shovel and put 6 little mounds of dirt in the middle......does that mean I " Octupled it "? See how this new fancy way of describing jumps sounds freakin' stupid?

The Shop

jeffro503
9/5/2018 7:49pm
SPODEBOY wrote:

The question then becomes, how elongated does a single need to be for it to be a table. If I catch a little air off an...
The question then becomes, how elongated does a single need to be for it to be a table. If I catch a little air off an extremely rounded single, to the point of having a flat spot on top (say a few feet), did I just clear something?

Another way to look at it is... if I triple on to a very short table and my front wheel gets over the "flat spot", did that just change what I cleared?

It appears that the length of the table matters.

Thunder Valley tabled out the landing of the triple out of the hole (parallel with finish line) a few years ago. There were definitely three different places to land. My ego is claiming the quad Laughing
Length of the table does matter to this new generation of thinker's. The thing is....NOT ONE of them can tell you the distance a table needs to be , to become a double , triple or quad. NOT ONE!
TXDirt
9/5/2018 7:55pm
Casing a tabletop = scheduling a prostitute who doesn't show up. No worries.

Casing a double = a prostitute who shows up and turns out to be a man.

Anyone see the difference lol

tcallahan707
9/5/2018 7:56pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Oh and why were at it. If I have two mounds of dirt , 30' apart......considered a double right? What if those two mounds of dirt...
Oh and why were at it.

If I cleared it about a thousand times , it would still be called a double. If I took a shovel and put 6 little mounds of dirt in the middle......does that mean I " Octupled it "? See how this new fancy way of describing jumps sounds freakin' stupid?
If you threw down one big pile of dirt in the middle, I think we can all agree that it does change what you call it. There is no way to solve this conundrum without some minimum distance or height that defines what pile of dirt counts and what doesn't. We don't have that and never will, which means these conversations are pointless.
jeffro503
9/5/2018 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 8:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Oh and why were at it. If I have two mounds of dirt , 30' apart......considered a double right? What if those two mounds of dirt...
Oh and why were at it.

If you threw down one big pile of dirt in the middle, I think we can all agree that it does change what you call it...
If you threw down one big pile of dirt in the middle, I think we can all agree that it does change what you call it. There is no way to solve this conundrum without some minimum distance or height that defines what pile of dirt counts and what doesn't. We don't have that and never will, which means these conversations are pointless.
My point was.....there is no third landing ramp. A 20' double , is the same as a 100' double , because there is only one take off ramp , and one landing. Distance does not matter. If you did throw a big mound of dirt in the middle ( with a landing ramp , then yes , we could call it a triple. Because we can actually land on the second mound of dirt with a down ramp. A table ( no matter how big it is ) only has 1 down ramp!

What do we call a huge 120' table by itself now day's? A big table right? When did we start calling that jump a double , triple or quad? Why are we changing the name of one big obstacle , because there is something leading up to it , or after it? No matter if it's 10' long , or 100' long.......it's still one big single mound of dirt. Does not matter how long it is.

And if it does.......someone please tell me the measurement's of when a table becomes something else.
SEE ARE125
9/5/2018 8:28pm
What if you have a tabletop and put a single on top of it in the middle? Is it a triple now?
9/5/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 8:56pm
jeffro503 wrote:
My point was.....there is no third landing ramp. A 20' double , is the same as a 100' double , because there is only one take...
My point was.....there is no third landing ramp. A 20' double , is the same as a 100' double , because there is only one take off ramp , and one landing. Distance does not matter. If you did throw a big mound of dirt in the middle ( with a landing ramp , then yes , we could call it a triple. Because we can actually land on the second mound of dirt with a down ramp. A table ( no matter how big it is ) only has 1 down ramp!

What do we call a huge 120' table by itself now day's? A big table right? When did we start calling that jump a double , triple or quad? Why are we changing the name of one big obstacle , because there is something leading up to it , or after it? No matter if it's 10' long , or 100' long.......it's still one big single mound of dirt. Does not matter how long it is.

And if it does.......someone please tell me the measurement's of when a table becomes something else.
A table is always a table, regardless of its length. However, a table becomes a single at the point where there is no longer a flat spot. At this point, you have a parabola (aka "single"). Consider the following:

Two parabolas separated by any distance is a double. Three parabolas = triple, and so on.

A 120' table is still a table, just as a 10' table is still a table, and if anyone tries to convince you otherwise, punch them in the face.

For future reference, the following is the definitive guide to jumps:

jeffro503
9/5/2018 9:19pm
jeffro503 wrote:
My point was.....there is no third landing ramp. A 20' double , is the same as a 100' double , because there is only one take...

A table is always a table, regardless of its length. However, a table becomes a single at the point where there is no longer a flat...
A table is always a table, regardless of its length. However, a table becomes a single at the point where there is no longer a flat spot. At this point, you have a parabola (aka "single"). Consider the following:

Two parabolas separated by any distance is a double. Three parabolas = triple, and so on.

A 120' table is still a table, just as a 10' table is still a table, and if anyone tries to convince you otherwise, punch them in the face.

For future reference, the following is the definitive guide to jumps:

I agree with that completely. Look at that bottom one....most would call a " triple ". In today's new world.....that's the jump this thread was started about. A " Quint "......haha. because it makes it sound more interesting telling people you cleared 5 jumps.....with 3 mounds of dirt.

Still waiting for someone to come in here and explain the measure of distance on a table , as to when we start calling it something else.

And again.....this shit started about 5 years ago with Shaheen on SX. Please find me something 5 years or older that another top rider started naming jumps and rythem sections like this. There isn't! And why it's so stupid to hear it now days.
CR250Rider
9/5/2018 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 9:42pm
sumdood wrote:
"Ya'll know me, know what I do for a living, I'll jump your 5 obstacles, but it aint gonna be easy, and I value my life...
"Ya'll know me, know what I do for a living, I'll jump your 5 obstacles, but it aint gonna be easy, and I value my life a lot more than three thousand bucks. I'll find one and check it out for three, but I'll pull the trigger and hit it for ten"

9/5/2018 10:42pm
sumdood wrote:
"Ya'll know me, know what I do for a living, I'll jump your 5 obstacles, but it aint gonna be easy, and I value my life...
"Ya'll know me, know what I do for a living, I'll jump your 5 obstacles, but it aint gonna be easy, and I value my life a lot more than three thousand bucks. I'll find one and check it out for three, but I'll pull the trigger and hit it for ten"

CR250Rider wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/05/285505/s1200_th.jpg[/img]

Best post of this played out thread/argument.
Crush
9/5/2018 11:12pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I agree with that completely. Look at that bottom one....most would call a " triple ". In today's new world.....that's the jump this thread was started...
I agree with that completely. Look at that bottom one....most would call a " triple ". In today's new world.....that's the jump this thread was started about. A " Quint "......haha. because it makes it sound more interesting telling people you cleared 5 jumps.....with 3 mounds of dirt.

Still waiting for someone to come in here and explain the measure of distance on a table , as to when we start calling it something else.

And again.....this shit started about 5 years ago with Shaheen on SX. Please find me something 5 years or older that another top rider started naming jumps and rythem sections like this. There isn't! And why it's so stupid to hear it now days.
Whatever happened to the phraase single-over-table? Used to hear pros describing rhythms with it...

That's a single before a table, jump over (2018 triple)

Can't we just use single/double/triple/quad-over-table?
jemcee
9/6/2018 1:06am
I don't have an answer but I consider a table that you jump on then off that's part of a rhythm section different to just a single long jump

If the track was designed for the rider to jump from one jump over a single onto a table then off over another single.. But someone jumps over the single and over the table, that person is landing on the 4th available landing
9/6/2018 1:17am
I got both sides of the argument, but for sure if you jumped a double and over a table you would be telling all your friends you did a quad!

Post a reply to: Help Settle Bet - Anyone Ever "Quint" in AMA Supercross Track

The Latest