Help- Possible move from So.Cal to ATL.

tonyd811
Edited Date/Time 9/20/2012 8:13am
Hello all...

Would love to pick your brains if I may... I have a job opportunity in ATL and I currently live in Temecula, Ca. Life is getting pretty damn expensive out here and being recently laid off isn't helping much.

Will a "So Cal" family make it out there in Atlanta or will we hate it? We're not much in the rat race nor do we really give a shit about what people think of us. Schools, safety and a good up-bringing for my kids is what's most important to me.

Thoughts? I can handle the truth.

thx.

tonyd.
|
Xeno
9/17/2012 6:11pm
I lived in Georgia for two years. I don't want the GA boys to take this as a negative- but it's A LOT different back there.

Strangely, one of the big differences for me is that there are no hills or mountains there. Sounds weird, but I really missed the So Cal terrain.
dboivin
9/17/2012 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2012 6:20pm
atlanta...ugh. if you can live outside of it shoot for northeast, lots to do in the smokeys. not sure on amount of tracks in that direction tho. not a fan of that city and i lived for 4 years about 1hr from it. good luck.
P
9/17/2012 6:31pm
Atlanta ain't Temecula. If anything Atlanta is the complete opposite of it. You should find the cost of living to be a lot lower though. I'm guessing that you will want to live WELL outside of Atlanta to get what it sounds like you are looking for. Atlanta is a major city with all of the benefits and problems of a major city.

Alsoi, I have no idea what dude is talking about when he says that there are no hills or mountains there. You are only a couple of hours from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

P

The Shop

Jim Morrison
9/17/2012 8:20pm
Atlanta sucks...north west or north east of the city would be my suggestion. There seems to be more riding areas to the west, but there are still a few places to go on the east side. If the school is over half black don't expect a good education for your kids...just saying.
Xeno
9/17/2012 8:46pm
P wrote:
Atlanta ain't Temecula. If anything Atlanta is the complete opposite of it. You should find the cost of living to be a lot lower though. I'm...
Atlanta ain't Temecula. If anything Atlanta is the complete opposite of it. You should find the cost of living to be a lot lower though. I'm guessing that you will want to live WELL outside of Atlanta to get what it sounds like you are looking for. Atlanta is a major city with all of the benefits and problems of a major city.

Alsoi, I have no idea what dude is talking about when he says that there are no hills or mountains there. You are only a couple of hours from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

P
I'm not talking about driving a couple of hours. I'm referring to daily environment. When you are used to walking out the front door and seeing hills and mountains- it's a big change to live on flat land surrounded by trees. Sort of claustrophobic.
P
9/17/2012 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2012 9:24pm
P wrote:
Atlanta ain't Temecula. If anything Atlanta is the complete opposite of it. You should find the cost of living to be a lot lower though. I'm...

P
Xeno wrote:
I'm not talking about driving a couple of hours. I'm referring to daily environment. When you are used to walking out the front door and seeing...
I'm not talking about driving a couple of hours. I'm referring to daily environment. When you are used to walking out the front door and seeing hills and mountains- it's a big change to live on flat land surrounded by trees. Sort of claustrophobic.
Apparently you didn't notice the rolling hills in Atlanta? It's in the foothills of the mountains, that's why you don't see "hills and mountains" when you looked out of your window. You were in the hills...............Did you not drive in the Atlanta area? What about Stone Mountain? Also, the mountain ranges and geography on the East Coast is different than on the West Coast. Last.y, there are probably more trees in the Atlanta area than there are in all of Southern California. Trees really do change what you see.

P
berniepiet
9/17/2012 10:05pm
Got a nice house there I am selling if you are interested LOL.

Riding there is really good. Lots of places within a 2 hour drive of ATL both off road and MX
mattmatt300
9/17/2012 10:38pm
What part of town is the job in? That makes a big difference. Just like anywhere else there are good spots and bad.
ga_pike
9/18/2012 3:11am
As a Georgia resident, I'll say Georgia is an awesome place to live... Atlanta itself, sucks (IMO). But I'm not a "big city" fan. You will get alot more house for the money over here and gas prices should be slightly lower. Plus, "we do thangs a tad bit slower down hear".

I say go fot it!
DoctorJD
9/18/2012 5:27am
Don't come to Georgia, it sucks here Wink

Seriously, take the Atlanta perimeter (I-285) then make a 30 mile radius outside of it. Live anywhere but inside that circle and you'll be fine.
jwag87
9/18/2012 6:47am
DoctorJD wrote:
Don't come to Georgia, it sucks here ;) Seriously, take the Atlanta perimeter (I-285) then make a 30 mile radius outside of it. Live anywhere but...

Seriously, take the Atlanta perimeter (I-285) then make a 30 mile radius outside of it. Live anywhere but inside that circle and you'll be fine.
Agreed.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1789th
9/18/2012 7:14am
Buddy of mine has lived in Marrietta for years and loves it.
Elbows
Fantasy
968th
9/18/2012 7:19am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2012 7:36am
The best thing about moving is that you will be within driving distance of Monster Mountain. This place is great! They have the big outdoor track, pit bike track, RC track, flat track, trails and vet/ gp track. I'm going down there this weekend for a couple of days. There winter hours start the day after Christmas and run through the first of April. During that time they are open 7 days a week with full prep on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and partial prep Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

mattmatt300
9/18/2012 8:40am
DoctorJD wrote:
Don't come to Georgia, it sucks here ;) Seriously, take the Atlanta perimeter (I-285) then make a 30 mile radius outside of it. Live anywhere but...

^ this. It all depends on what part of town. My vote goes to the northwest side.
level
9/18/2012 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2012 6:57pm
I've lived in Atlanta area most my life. You don't really want to live in Atlanta and most people don't really live in the city. Try and go northeast such as Dallas, Kennesaw, Acworth, North Marietta, East Cobb, and Woodstock. Still only a 20 minute drive to the city and traffic is not that bad on 75N compared to the rest of the perimeter.

I for one really don't care for it much here but maybe I would appreciate it more after living somewhere else. Just so many damn trees. Lot of black people also. I don't mean that to sound racist but there just really is a lot of black people that live here. You kind of feel like a minority if your white. Like I said, not being racist but it's different.
9/18/2012 7:00pm
You've got one badass Supercross to go to every year, that will ALWAYS be on the schedule.
dcg141
9/18/2012 10:24pm
You will be familier with the traffic..thats the one thing ATL and SoCal have in common.
Braaap14
9/19/2012 2:03am
Ricky and The Dunge seem to have done some work on Georgia soil...
bartoner
9/19/2012 7:48am
I have never lived in Atlanta....but I stayed in the city for a little over two weeks for work when we had a project at the airport...coming from someone who lives in the same area as you, I couldnt WAIT to get outta there....maybe the outskirts like mentioned above might be a little better....but imo the city is a miserable place, as compared to where you live now...
Drfletcher
9/19/2012 2:31pm
I moved to Atlanta from Phoenix, AZ back in 2007. Like Level said, the black people here make you the minority. It is different because I was use to being surrounded by Mexicans. Wait, there are a bunch of them here too but the difference is the Mexican food here sucks!!!! I can not over state that so if you do move, get your last good Mexican meal.

The only areas I would live is the Kennesaw/Acworth area or the Buford/Dacula area. The riding is ok. There is a really good track called Amp Mx on the border of GA/AL but its a hour and 45 minute drive. One cool thing, you about 7-8 drive from many things: Florida to Ohio.

Atlanta is ok - the changes in the weather is nice. Today it is about 70 and sunny. The leaves are changing and the air is starting to get crisp at night.
machine
9/19/2012 2:38pm
Everything everyone else mentioned, plus another big one is if you like the West coast culture and aren't willing to assimilate you won't like it. I was looking for a culture change and I like it. Don't try and bring the CA culture with you, you will just get frustrated.
JoeBraxton
9/19/2012 3:15pm
Say goodbye to good Mexican food:-( My family all live in Chickamauga, GA (north GA) although we all grew up out here in San Diego. I lived there for about a year and although I missed the west, I really loved all the trees and getting away from the rat race of CA. I met so many girls it was crazy...but most turned out to be too crazy for me. Now that I have my own family I would totally relocate if I had a good job oppertunity. Stay out of Atlanta and move up north....tons of riding and lots of great people. I would go for it...as long as you have your loved ones you'll do fine...run to the hills my friend!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/19/2012 3:20pm
I've only ever been to the ATL airport, so I have no idea what it's like to move to GA. However, I moved to Phoenix for 2 years and hated it. It was more about not being at home than anything wrong with the new city. I really missed SoCal (I left San Marcos to go there,) for these reasons:
1) Friends. I have lifelong friends that I missed more than anything. Riding buddies too. You can meet new friends, but you can never replace ones you met when you were 5, 13, or 18.
2) Family. See above.
3) Mexican food. It was tough to find a good taco shop in Phoenix! I know it sounds crazy, but trust me, it was nothing like San Diego or Temecula. If PHX isn't going to cut it, you know ATL won't!!
4) Weather. Phoenix is "holy crap" hot. Atlanta in the summer has got to be "holy f*%king mother of God" hot.
5) Industry/ schools/ opportunities. Phoenix seemed so much more.... undeveloped. Maybe "undevelopable" is a better word. I have no idea what GA is like, but consider that angle too.

Don't let me or anyone else talk you out of it, but if you like living here, it's going to be hard to like anywhere else on the planet.
level
9/19/2012 6:12pm
Atlanta is very confusing to me and I don't really feel like I belong most the time. It's very confusing. Not really any identity because there are so many different cultures. People tolerate each other I feel even though in the back of there mind there like fuck-is there anybody out there like me. There are parts of the city where it's predominantly black and another one asian and another mexican and another brazilian and others very country. It's just so many different cultures and there all bumping into each other all the time which makes for a lot of intolerance.

There are so also so many suburbs. Just everywhere. There is a grocery store and Walmart everywhere. It's like there are little cities everywhere. I can drive 5 miles down the street and have a totally different vibe with it's own publix and kroger, it's own cvs and walgreens, etc. Then you drive 5 miles and have the same stores all over again because there are just so many people.

It's very developed here since the olympics. Was like a major boom. There were 100 neighborhoods and new communities every week. Since the economy tanked there is pretty much no new development though.
machine
9/19/2012 6:33pm
level wrote:
Atlanta is very confusing to me and I don't really feel like I belong most the time. It's very confusing. Not really any identity because there...
Atlanta is very confusing to me and I don't really feel like I belong most the time. It's very confusing. Not really any identity because there are so many different cultures. People tolerate each other I feel even though in the back of there mind there like fuck-is there anybody out there like me. There are parts of the city where it's predominantly black and another one asian and another mexican and another brazilian and others very country. It's just so many different cultures and there all bumping into each other all the time which makes for a lot of intolerance.

There are so also so many suburbs. Just everywhere. There is a grocery store and Walmart everywhere. It's like there are little cities everywhere. I can drive 5 miles down the street and have a totally different vibe with it's own publix and kroger, it's own cvs and walgreens, etc. Then you drive 5 miles and have the same stores all over again because there are just so many people.

It's very developed here since the olympics. Was like a major boom. There were 100 neighborhoods and new communities every week. Since the economy tanked there is pretty much no new development though.
Just add liberal vs conservative and change you're first word to America and you have just described the state of the country these days.

That's one thing about CA, is if your liberal minded, you will always be in your element. Out here, it's about 50/50 around the big cities, so that creates tension.
machine
9/19/2012 6:35pm
JoeBraxton wrote:
Say goodbye to good Mexican food:-( My family all live in Chickamauga, GA (north GA) although we all grew up out here in San Diego. I...
Say goodbye to good Mexican food:-( My family all live in Chickamauga, GA (north GA) although we all grew up out here in San Diego. I lived there for about a year and although I missed the west, I really loved all the trees and getting away from the rat race of CA. I met so many girls it was crazy...but most turned out to be too crazy for me. Now that I have my own family I would totally relocate if I had a good job oppertunity. Stay out of Atlanta and move up north....tons of riding and lots of great people. I would go for it...as long as you have your loved ones you'll do fine...run to the hills my friend!
I learned how to cook good Mexican, it's not that hard. Mine is as good or better than most Taquerias in Cali.
9/19/2012 6:55pm
I live near Savannah, there arent many tracks close by me and its really flat in Georgia but other than that its not to bad here. If I were you I would want to live north of Atlanta near the mountains and away from the city life. Im pretty sure there a few good tracks up that way also.
Corey_Tallent
9/19/2012 6:56pm
It depends on what you are really looking for. If you have a family or are going to have a family raised here in Georgia, you want to either go Northeast to the Buford area, or Northwest to the Calhoun area or due west of Atlanta to the Bremen/Carrollton area.

The schools there are excellent. There is scenery (Buford has Lake Lanier, Calhoun has the mountain areas and Bremen is sitting on the bottom foothill of the Appalachian Mountains "highest point between Atlanta and Birmingham Alabama at almost 2000 ft) in each city. Calhoun is obviously the most distant of the three places mentioned from downtown Atlanta. Bremen is just far enough out of the "metro" area where you can breathe and enjoy your privacy yet be close enough to get to downtown Atlanta in 25 minutes. Its a lot easier coming in from interstate 20 to Atlanta from the west than any other direction or interstate that runs into Atlanta.

Bremen has a supercross/motorcross track as well. At one time Calhoun did have one..not sure if its still there? The school system in Bremen is superb and if you like high school football, youll love it in that area as 9 high schools populate the area, but would definitely suggest Bremen or Carrollton for the education. Now, ill be the first to admit, Bremen really has suffered a downturn when it comes to local jobs/industry.

If you like seeing hills, 15 minutes north of Bremen is Cedartown, Ga and thats where the foothills really get going. Beyond that, the place is ideal for living as climate means milder winters/ sometimes hot summers but there are "typically" no issues with earthquakes, santa ana wind driven forest fires, and other normal things that seem to be part of California living. Tornadoes happen, but are rare compared to surrounding states and that may be because of the elevated windshear storms experience when they hit the Alabama/Georgia line near Bremen and the foothills. Hurricanes could be a threat but rarely come through here.

I believe there are four or five top notch motorcross tracks in a 2 to three hour radius of Bremen as well.
Just dont move into Douglas County. lol The city/county government is the most ignorant/infighting system that I have ever seen.
P
9/19/2012 6:56pm
level wrote:
Atlanta is very confusing to me and I don't really feel like I belong most the time. It's very confusing. Not really any identity because there...

machine wrote:
Just add liberal vs conservative and change you're first word to America and you have just described the state of the country these days. That's one...
Just add liberal vs conservative and change you're first word to America and you have just described the state of the country these days.

That's one thing about CA, is if your liberal minded, you will always be in your element. Out here, it's about 50/50 around the big cities, so that creates tension.
It sounds like you guys are looking at EVERYTHING that is different in people instead of looking at what people have in common. Level, none of my friends are just like me, but that doesn't mean that we don't have common ground.

P

Post a reply to: Help- Possible move from So.Cal to ATL.

The Latest