Help Convincing Parents to Let Me Get a Dirt Bike

Alphamort
Hello,
I am a fourteen year old boy and, as all boys my age would agree, dirt bikes are just plain cool. The problem is that we have had a family member die in a motorcycle crash after being paralyzed for about five years. He was not wearing a helmet, was heavily impaired, was speeding, and the cause of the crash was another driver doing a U-turn in a no U-turn zone. I would like to do trail riding, and I have come up with everything I could think of over the past four months, from statistics to showing how much safety gear there is, but nothing worked. My parents are reasonable people, but it will be difficult to convince them that dirt biking is something I should do.
Thanks in advance.
|
Fog 25
Fantasy
1312th
9/9/2018 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 7:54pm
Tell your mother that if she lets you ride dirt bikes she will be a grandmother real soon. You can pull a lot of chicks when you ride dirt bikes.?
No seriously tell your parents that you will meet a lot of really good people and they will turn into lifelong friends
9/9/2018 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 8:06pm
The hard part about convincing someone dirtbikes are a good idea is that you can’t see all the good parts on paper all the concrete things are about crashes and injuries, but what you don’t see on that paper is the inexplicable feeling a dirtbike gives you, where the entire world around you evaporates and its just you, complete focus, and the thrill of speed on your dirtbike. You just can’t put that on paper and it doesn’t surprise me that you’re having a tough time because im sure you’re parents had a tough time with your family member and the merit of feelings just seems so insignificant to your parents because they only see the dangerous things about the sport but anyone on this board has found that the thrill far outweighs the danger. Good luck, I wish you the best
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
9/9/2018 8:09pm
Tell them that if they don't get you a bike you're going to start traing for MMA or wrestling because team sports is for pussys, and you don't want to be a pussy.
JM485
9/9/2018 8:30pm
Tell them my story:

As a kid I was super into bikes, got my first one at 5 years old and have ridden ever since. As most riders do, I got half way decent at working on my own bikes over the years with my dad's guidance, and I gained an appreciation for mechanics and how things function. That interest turned into a mechanical engineering degree, and riding gave me the escape I needed to get through school and motivate myself to succeed.

Moral of the story, without riding I probably wouldn't be the person I am today or be in the profession I am. No idea where I would have ended up had I never started, but I think most parents would probably be content if their kid followed a similar career path. I know quite a few people with similar stories as well, so I'm not some super special person or some kind of genius, I just followed a logical progression of events that led me to where I am.

Also, chicks don't care about dirtbikes, just saying. . .

The Shop

Moto96
9/9/2018 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 8:48pm
Tell them you want a dirt bike to take up your time because all your GF wants to do is make babies and your refractory period is less than the 30 second board.

They will probably buy you 2 dirt bikes.
9/9/2018 8:57pm
JM485 wrote:
Tell them my story: As a kid I was super into bikes, got my first one at 5 years old and have ridden ever since. As...
Tell them my story:

As a kid I was super into bikes, got my first one at 5 years old and have ridden ever since. As most riders do, I got half way decent at working on my own bikes over the years with my dad's guidance, and I gained an appreciation for mechanics and how things function. That interest turned into a mechanical engineering degree, and riding gave me the escape I needed to get through school and motivate myself to succeed.

Moral of the story, without riding I probably wouldn't be the person I am today or be in the profession I am. No idea where I would have ended up had I never started, but I think most parents would probably be content if their kid followed a similar career path. I know quite a few people with similar stories as well, so I'm not some super special person or some kind of genius, I just followed a logical progression of events that led me to where I am.

I always joke with my buddies about this, people always say dirt bikes are chick magnets, but I’ve never once had a chick ask me about my bike or say something about it while it’s in the bed of my truck. I always say it’s a dick magnet cause everyone that comments on it are dudes Laughing
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
9/9/2018 8:59pm
Get your dad to go with you to a local track one day to watch and check the overall scene out.

Do you try hard at school? It shows you can be responsible.

Do you work around the house, mow yards, save money? It shows you are willing to support your interests.

Just some thoughts from a father.
JM485
9/9/2018 9:17pm
JM485 wrote:
Tell them my story: As a kid I was super into bikes, got my first one at 5 years old and have ridden ever since. As...
Tell them my story:

I always joke with my buddies about this, people always say dirt bikes are chick magnets, but I’ve never once had a chick ask me about...
I always joke with my buddies about this, people always say dirt bikes are chick magnets, but I’ve never once had a chick ask me about my bike or say something about it while it’s in the bed of my truck. I always say it’s a dick magnet cause everyone that comments on it are dudes Laughing
Dude it's the truth!Laughing Never once have I met one that gave two shits about it, it's seriously not even worth mentioning. If someone can provide me one modern story of picking a chick up due to riding/having a bike I'll be very impressed, I think it's a generational thing or something because old dudes still seem to think that's still the case and I just don't see it.

Radical
Fantasy
2360th
9/9/2018 9:20pm
JM485 wrote:
Tell them my story:

I never really thought about it until I read JM's story, but mine is similar.
When I started riding dirt bikes at around 12, I immediately started learning how they work. That led to rebuilding engines, the bottom end as well, and even porting cylinders and making my own pipe by age 15. I became a machinist at 18, and eventually a software engineer.
One thing led to another. Motocross is a great hobby, and I've met a lot of awesome people.

I also think it's great advice to invite your dad to check out a local track. Maybe go there first and meet some people, then introduce your dad to some of the other dads. Who knows, maybe your dad will want to get a bike too!
9/9/2018 9:40pm
Tell them it’s a bike or your gonna start self identifiying as a 14 year old Asian girl named Trixie and your sexual curiosity is peaking
eeazye
9/9/2018 9:43pm
I had overly controlling and apathetic parents who absolutely refused to let me even be around bikes. I waited it out like an inmate serving a sentence. It was my motivation to get the eff out of the house and start living my life, which primarily for me was being able to ride.

I carried around a lot of resentment about it for many years, but the older I get, I find I look at it as though it was a great motivational tool to get my butt in gear.

My point is, don’t let it ruin your relationship with your parents. If they’re firm on not indulging your interest in bikes, let it be for now. You have a few years, and you’ll be a legal adult and will make your own path in the world.

HusqFan3
9/9/2018 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 9:48pm
I was in a similar situation trying to get my wife behind the idea of me getting back into riding. My tactix was to emphasis how incongruous riding a dirt bike on a private track with only other dirt bikes all going the same direction was with riding a street bike on public roads full of cars where you have no control of whether or not someone decides to pull out in front of you or chnage lanes without seeing you. Bottom line is while riding a street bike you’re at the complete mercy of other drivers. This simply isn’t the case with riding a dirt bike. I also told her i would just be putting around and would keep both wheels on the ground. Which of course wasn’t true but if a white lie gives her peace of mind and allows me to do what i love to do, then so be it.

Edit: Oh and i also made sure to point out that in the history of AMA motocross there hasn’t been a single fatality. Which is mostly true. I believe there was one rider who died in a race in Sam Diego years ago as a result from a crash in practice but in terms of actual race incidents, i believe it to be accurate.
jeffro503
9/9/2018 10:07pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Tell them that if they don't get you a bike you're going to start traing for MMA or wrestling because team sports is for pussys, and...
Tell them that if they don't get you a bike you're going to start traing for MMA or wrestling because team sports is for pussys, and you don't want to be a pussy.
Haha , Freakin' G , that was great! Laughing
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/9/2018 11:20pm
Get yourself some golf clubs and get involved in a sport where you could make some money if you practice enough. Cool

Post a reply to: Help Convincing Parents to Let Me Get a Dirt Bike

The Latest