Helmets- AIROH

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2017 8:05 AM

I know there is a thread on here from '15 but long since Airoh helmets are still not very attainable on the American market. Where can I purchase one(?); without throwing away money. I've heard of chromeburner, eBay, and airohhelmetsusa. But have also heard these 3 are unreliable and rip offs. I would really appreciate Anyone who has info on buying an airoh helmet!

|

12/9/2017 9:05 AM

I wouldn't buy one. If mine info is correct the European Airoh helmets don't get true the American inspection, so they need to make the shell thicker for the American market, that is also why it is harder to get them in the USA. Put your money in Shoei or Arai

|

12/9/2017 9:07 AM

I bought one off motostorm. The only thing is they dont say if theyre in stock or not when you buy it I had to wait a few weeks. Theyre in italy. One thing to consider is theyre not dot certified their ece so I believe that has the possibility to affect insurance in a crash. Something to keep in mind also I believe they may even be illegal to wear at some races. I bought the switch its only about 150 still very light and doesnt look so pointy. The expensive ones are light as paper. Supposedly leo vince I think it was sells dot certified ones in the us but Idk how to buy from them their not on the website. Good luck.

|

12/9/2017 9:10 AM

MXMattii wrote:

I wouldn't buy one. If mine info is correct the European Airoh helmets don't get true the American inspection, so they need to make the shell thicker for the American market, that is also why it is harder to get them in the USA. Put your money in Shoei or Arai

Arai , on sale now. Dennis Kirk. Fyi.

|

12/9/2017 9:14 AM

MXMattii wrote:

I wouldn't buy one. If mine info is correct the European Airoh helmets don't get true the American inspection, so they need to make the shell thicker for the American market, that is also why it is harder to get them in the USA. Put your money in Shoei or Arai

Ece is honestly the better testing method and the most modern and applicable to mx. I absolutely trust them with my safety hell marvin anderson and osborne wear one. The only thing is the ece rating for some local events and possibly ins. I do know that the ama has allowed them to be used in any ama event, but that doesnt necessarily help a local race and their rules but its a very strong argument. If the ama allows them, see above riders, then idk why others wouldnt but something to keep in mind.

|

12/9/2017 9:19 AM

drt410 wrote:

Ece is honestly the better testing method and the most modern and applicable to mx. I absolutely trust them with my safety hell marvin anderson and osborne wear one. The only thing is the ece rating for some local events and possibly ins. I do know that the ama has allowed them to be used in any ama event, but that doesnt necessarily help a local race and their rules but its a very strong argument. If the ama allows them, see above riders, then idk why others wouldnt but something to keep in mind.

I didn't wanted to imply they are unsafe, just that they can cause problems at races or with insurances.

|

12/9/2017 9:21 AM

Take a look at dirtbikebitz.com or 24mx.com.

I think both have the 2017 colorways on sale.

|

12/9/2017 9:29 AM

MXMattii wrote:

I wouldn't buy one. If mine info is correct the European Airoh helmets don't get true the American inspection, so they need to make the shell thicker for the American market, that is also why it is harder to get them in the USA. Put your money in Shoei or Arai

mxb2 wrote:

Arai , on sale now. Dennis Kirk. Fyi.

I've always been a Shoei guy, the older Arai's did not fit my head very well, pressed on my forehead..

However, I tried on the new Arai a couple of years ago and my god, it was like losing my virginity, finding my special purpose. Nicest feeling helmet I've ever slid my head into.

|

12/9/2017 9:39 AM

Blackfoot Direct in Canada stocks a ton of Airoh's and they have a mail order branch as well. Love my Aviator, great fit and venting and for the long off-road races I do my medium at 1008 grams is awesome. ECE is legal right across Canada.

|

12/9/2017 10:22 AM

An Arai is like a flip phone, 20 year old technology. Overpriced too.

Much better/safer helmets out there imo.
I wear 6D, but my spare helmet is a Troy Lee SE4 with MIPS. Quality on both is top notch.

Bell Moto 9 looks like a good helmet too.

Not familiar with Airoh though. I'd be interested to see how you like it when you get one.

|

12/9/2017 10:55 AM

Indy mxer wrote:

An Arai is like a flip phone, 20 year old technology. Overpriced too.

Much better/safer helmets out there imo.
I wear 6D, but my spare helmet is a Troy Lee SE4 with MIPS. Quality on both is top notch.

Bell Moto 9 looks like a good helmet too.

Not familiar with Airoh though. I'd be interested to see how you like it when you get one.

Dude I couldnt agree more. I dotn understand how people can pay for those old helmets that were engineered when two strokes were winning nationals.

6D, TL SE4, Bell Moto 9, Fly F2 and the list goes on...not not Arai, Airoh, or anything but the most recent Shoei.

My head gets a 6D and nothing else.

|

12/9/2017 12:26 PM

I really wanted to change from a bell to a shoei this week. I went to my local store and tried a few on. They were so bloody uncomfortable for my head shape. I was feeling some heavy duty pressure on my ears/temples. In the end I just grabbed a new moto 9 because they fit me like a glove.

|

12/9/2017 12:29 PM

What is the most applicable testing standard for mx? I mean I'm not to worried about how well my mx lid protects against an impact with a roll cage

|

12/9/2017 1:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2017 1:09 PM

I really don't get the "you're throwing away money if you buy anything else" attitude from the 6D guys. You guys are like vegans, can't go five minutes without telling someone you own a 6D and how everything else is so inferior. They're good helmets, we get it. I still see people getting concussions with them so they aren't magic.

|

12/9/2017 1:21 PM

305FC250 wrote:

I really don't get the "you're throwing away money if you buy anything else" attitude from the 6D guys. You guys are like vegans, can't go five minutes without telling someone you own a 6D and how everything else is so inferior. They're good helmets, we get it. I still see people getting concussions with them so they aren't magic.

Nobody said they were magic! Nothing will eliminate concussions. But I'm glad some companies are moving forward on new helmet design.
And if you actually read my post you'd see I have a MIPS helmet as well.

But if you want to wear 20 year old technology, have at it.
Arai is way behind on this. That's a fact.

But as far as 6D is concerned there's a reason the NFL is looking at their technology, and gave them a half million dollar grant.

|

12/9/2017 1:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2017 1:23 PM

305FC250 wrote:

I really don't get the "you're throwing away money if you buy anything else" attitude from the 6D guys. You guys are like vegans, can't go five minutes without telling someone you own a 6D and how everything else is so inferior. They're good helmets, we get it. I still see people getting concussions with them so they aren't magic.

Got that right. I still have the image of Zach Bell getting knocked the fuck out over the triple in my mind. Granted it could of happened in any helmet but if I remember correctly 6D had just hit the market. Wasn't a very good look for them. That said I don't think he suffered any brain injuries.

I don't think he's been the same since that accident.

I was wearing a Bell Moto 8 when I had my accident and it did its job. Plenty of injured parts but glad I didn't suffer a head injury. It would be very difficult to persuade me to wear anything other than a Bell even to this day if I could still ride.

There's no doubt there's other great helmets on the market but the 6D isn't the be all and end all of helmets. The best thing a person can do is buy a helmet that fits their head properly. Make sure that it's snug and not tight or loose. That in my opinion is what makes the biggest difference in the event of a crash.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/9/2017 1:32 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Got that right. I still have the image of Zach Bell getting knocked the fuck out over the triple in my mind. Granted it could of happened in any helmet but if I remember correctly 6D had just hit the market. Wasn't a very good look for them. That said I don't think he suffered any brain injuries.

I don't think he's been the same since that accident.

I was wearing a Bell Moto 8 when I had my accident and it did its job. Plenty of injured parts but glad I didn't suffer a head injury. It would be very difficult to persuade me to wear anything other than a Bell even to this day if I could still ride.

There's no doubt there's other great helmets on the market but the 6D isn't the be all and end all of helmets. The best thing a person can do is buy a helmet that fits their head properly. Make sure that it's snug and not tight or loose. That in my opinion is what makes the biggest difference in the event of a crash.

Funny you bring up Crashing Bell. When he was racing with Geico and with 6D he had "only concussions" when he raced with Rockstar Husqvarna and Airoh the first real hit gave him a bleeding in his brain. Don't wanna imply anything, just naming facts :-D

|

12/9/2017 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2017 2:32 PM

MXMattii wrote:

I wouldn't buy one. If mine info is correct the European Airoh helmets don't get true the American inspection, so they need to make the shell thicker for the American market, that is also why it is harder to get them in the USA. Put your money in Shoei or Arai

drt410 wrote:

Ece is honestly the better testing method and the most modern and applicable to mx. I absolutely trust them with my safety hell marvin anderson and osborne wear one. The only thing is the ece rating for some local events and possibly ins. I do know that the ama has allowed them to be used in any ama event, but that doesnt necessarily help a local race and their rules but its a very strong argument. If the ama allows them, see above riders, then idk why others wouldnt but something to keep in mind.

Marvin, anderson an osbourne will wear whatever they get paid the most to wear.... simple as that. I agree with Matti. I don't trust the Airohs. If you could make a safe helmet which weighs like 1000 grams instead of 1400 the big companies like Bell, Shoei and Arai would have done just that. I could understand it if they developed some secret kind of material which works better but as far as I know they use exactly the same materials as the other companies.

|

12/9/2017 2:54 PM

Back to the real question: No there are ZERO US distributors for Airoh, if you want one you will need to use Ebay, Chromeburner, Motostorm.it etc... A personal friend of mine has purchased from both Motostorm and chromeburner with zero issues. Stay away from airohhelmetsusa.com it is a scam, there are a few active investigations against the people who run the site.

It is a fact they are not Snell or DOT rated, they are ECE rated. There is a ton of information regarding all the various ratings on the internet. I would advise you step away from Vital and seek actual facts about the testing process and make your own decision on which is best in your mind. I have experienced zero issues going through various sanctioning bodies (SERA,SECCA, FTR, NEPG, Full Gas) tech inspections with my Airoh.

I will say they are extremely light weight and vent very well. I wore a medium Shoei VFX-W and Bell Moto 9 and find my Airoh to fit just as good and true to size.

|

12/9/2017 2:55 PM

I just bought my second Aeroh Aviator
I can’t comment on the relative impact safety, but the light weight has safety and comfort advantages.
The first one has been comfortable and lasted well. (Just too old now)
They are very expensive, especially in Australia.

I got mine from Germany. No issues. (If you know your size)

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=135157079&ViewAction=ViewFaceted&ManFilter=&FacetValue_Manufacturer=Airoh&CurrencyID=EUR&CurrencyID=EUR&FacetRange_ListPrice=&FacetRange_ListPrice=

|

12/9/2017 4:05 PM

Fuck I hate these threads.....Here are some facts.
1. Every helmet sold in the USA is supposed to have at least a DOT sticker in it. Any helmet you buy directly from Europe, the UK, Australia or Asia will NOT be DOT legal and therefor not AMA legal and could present a problem at race like LL (if they check). I know in all of the ISDE's I rode they checked my helmet for our DOT certification (inside and out)
2. The guys that run the Airoh helmets here in the US can do so because professional MX and SX is also sanctioned by the FIM (a loophole I guess or they have the DOT cert).
3. There are significant differences between DOT, Snell and ECE helmets including shell matrix, thickness, EPS, chinstrap retention even eye port size. Testing methods are vastly different and I will tell you DOT and ECE are actually pretty close.
4. Any helmet purchased in Europe or Asia (especially Asia) will have a completely different shell shape and therefore fit unlike almost any other helmet you will find here in the US (be aware if you decide to buy from a Euro website).

I wont get into details but what I'll say next is only opinion however, it comes from 47 years of riding / racing and 25 years industry experience.
To me, Snell is by far the best standard we have. ECE is good and DOT is ok but for us here in the States, after seeing some test numbers, I'll take a Snell helmet every time.
I think what has been happening in the helmet world lately is amazing. 6D turned the helmet industry on its head (pun intended) and forced the rest of the industry to step up. I believe they have too. Many helmet manufacturers have upped the ante and even surpassed what 6D started. The new SE4 from TLD is amazing (I know, Ive crash tested it). Shoei is still an amazing product (also crash tested) and the new helmet with their MEDS technology looks incredible as well. I still think Arai makes a great helmet even though the tech seems old. Actually its not as it uses a multi density EPS liner that all great helmets still use! They just arent using any fancy rotational tech in their lid.
Rotational impact tech (thank you Mips) has added another level of safety we never had before and now Shoei seems to be taking that tech further. Its all great but can anyone tell me what the rotational impact standard is? We know its better but we have no base line to judge from yet. We will I'm sure, right now though we just dont know.

Anyway kids, take this info as you like and I hope it helps in some small way. I'll leave you with this. The helmet that fits you the best and I mean in every way, regardless of brand, is the best helmet on the market for YOU. Do not get sucked in by weight, what you buddy says and especially what we say on here! And never, NEVER buy a helmet just because it looks cool. Start at your dealer and go from there. Most can get you anything you want before you turn to the internet.

|

12/9/2017 4:15 PM

presto197 wrote:

I know there is a thread on here from '15 but long since Airoh helmets are still not very attainable on the American market. Where can I purchase one(?); without throwing away money. I've heard of chromeburner, eBay, and airohhelmetsusa. But have also heard these 3 are unreliable and rip offs. I would really appreciate Anyone who has info on buying an airoh helmet!

Have you considered the Kali?

https://www.btosports.com/p/kali-protectives-shiva-carbon-2-0-helmet-solid

|

12/9/2017 6:59 PM

Indy mxer wrote:

An Arai is like a flip phone, 20 year old technology. Overpriced too.

Much better/safer helmets out there imo.
I wear 6D, but my spare helmet is a Troy Lee SE4 with MIPS. Quality on both is top notch.

Bell Moto 9 looks like a good helmet too.

Not familiar with Airoh though. I'd be interested to see how you like it when you get one.

I agree. I don’t know why people freak out over Arai. Their fit and finish is nice but they bring nothing to the table against the current crop of innovators.

|

12/9/2017 8:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2017 8:51 PM

The Fast Guy wrote:

Fuck I hate these threads.....Here are some facts.
1. Every helmet sold in the USA is supposed to have at least a DOT sticker in it. Any helmet you buy directly from Europe, the UK, Australia or Asia will NOT be DOT legal and therefor not AMA legal and could present a problem at race like LL (if they check). I know in all of the ISDE's I rode they checked my helmet for our DOT certification (inside and out)
2. The guys that run the Airoh helmets here in the US can do so because professional MX and SX is also sanctioned by the FIM (a loophole I guess or they have the DOT cert).
3. There are significant differences between DOT, Snell and ECE helmets including shell matrix, thickness, EPS, chinstrap retention even eye port size. Testing methods are vastly different and I will tell you DOT and ECE are actually pretty close.
4. Any helmet purchased in Europe or Asia (especially Asia) will have a completely different shell shape and therefore fit unlike almost any other helmet you will find here in the US (be aware if you decide to buy from a Euro website).

I wont get into details but what I'll say next is only opinion however, it comes from 47 years of riding / racing and 25 years industry experience.
To me, Snell is by far the best standard we have. ECE is good and DOT is ok but for us here in the States, after seeing some test numbers, I'll take a Snell helmet every time.
I think what has been happening in the helmet world lately is amazing. 6D turned the helmet industry on its head (pun intended) and forced the rest of the industry to step up. I believe they have too. Many helmet manufacturers have upped the ante and even surpassed what 6D started. The new SE4 from TLD is amazing (I know, Ive crash tested it). Shoei is still an amazing product (also crash tested) and the new helmet with their MEDS technology looks incredible as well. I still think Arai makes a great helmet even though the tech seems old. Actually its not as it uses a multi density EPS liner that all great helmets still use! They just arent using any fancy rotational tech in their lid.
Rotational impact tech (thank you Mips) has added another level of safety we never had before and now Shoei seems to be taking that tech further. Its all great but can anyone tell me what the rotational impact standard is? We know its better but we have no base line to judge from yet. We will I'm sure, right now though we just dont know.

Anyway kids, take this info as you like and I hope it helps in some small way. I'll leave you with this. The helmet that fits you the best and I mean in every way, regardless of brand, is the best helmet on the market for YOU. Do not get sucked in by weight, what you buddy says and especially what we say on here! And never, NEVER buy a helmet just because it looks cool. Start at your dealer and go from there. Most can get you anything you want before you turn to the internet.

Thats not true because I looked into this before I bought my Airoh and they are approved by AMA and therefore allowed at any AMA event.

Snell IMO is too stiff because it is tested against roll cages, there needs to be give, but in car crashes you really cant have as much for obvious reasons. For mx ECE and DOT can crumple and disfigure more in an impact protecting your brain more because the shells are actually less stiff allowing them to flex. ECE is the most current and most recent testing method thats why some believe it is the better of the two between DOT and ECE, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I trust ECE just as much as DOT and sometimes the rating can be a bad thing because manufacturers will only make their helmet able to just pass the testing and not any more safe than that to cut costs. If you read into ECE I personally think if they are making the helmet to the minimum standards you are still better off with an ECE over a DOT but either way you are fine. Theres tons of options out there go with what youre comforable with and read into the safety measures of the helmet. Some people think because Airoh helmets are so light that they cant protect well, but they can. Also when your head impacts and moves around more weight on your head can cause more strain on your neck so less weight can be better. Its a personal decision but I can tell you Airoh helmets are very light and very safe.

That Zach Bell crash reminded me of kenny without him landing on the takeoff of the next jump. Very similar crashes from different causes but both led to similar ejections. He could have been killed here, thankfully he want.

|

12/9/2017 10:26 PM

The Fast Guy wrote:

Fuck I hate these threads.....Here are some facts.
1. Every helmet sold in the USA is supposed to have at least a DOT sticker in it. Any helmet you buy directly from Europe, the UK, Australia or Asia will NOT be DOT legal and therefor not AMA legal and could present a problem at race like LL (if they check). I know in all of the ISDE's I rode they checked my helmet for our DOT certification (inside and out)
2. The guys that run the Airoh helmets here in the US can do so because professional MX and SX is also sanctioned by the FIM (a loophole I guess or they have the DOT cert).
3. There are significant differences between DOT, Snell and ECE helmets including shell matrix, thickness, EPS, chinstrap retention even eye port size. Testing methods are vastly different and I will tell you DOT and ECE are actually pretty close.
4. Any helmet purchased in Europe or Asia (especially Asia) will have a completely different shell shape and therefore fit unlike almost any other helmet you will find here in the US (be aware if you decide to buy from a Euro website).

I wont get into details but what I'll say next is only opinion however, it comes from 47 years of riding / racing and 25 years industry experience.
To me, Snell is by far the best standard we have. ECE is good and DOT is ok but for us here in the States, after seeing some test numbers, I'll take a Snell helmet every time.
I think what has been happening in the helmet world lately is amazing. 6D turned the helmet industry on its head (pun intended) and forced the rest of the industry to step up. I believe they have too. Many helmet manufacturers have upped the ante and even surpassed what 6D started. The new SE4 from TLD is amazing (I know, Ive crash tested it). Shoei is still an amazing product (also crash tested) and the new helmet with their MEDS technology looks incredible as well. I still think Arai makes a great helmet even though the tech seems old. Actually its not as it uses a multi density EPS liner that all great helmets still use! They just arent using any fancy rotational tech in their lid.
Rotational impact tech (thank you Mips) has added another level of safety we never had before and now Shoei seems to be taking that tech further. Its all great but can anyone tell me what the rotational impact standard is? We know its better but we have no base line to judge from yet. We will I'm sure, right now though we just dont know.

Anyway kids, take this info as you like and I hope it helps in some small way. I'll leave you with this. The helmet that fits you the best and I mean in every way, regardless of brand, is the best helmet on the market for YOU. Do not get sucked in by weight, what you buddy says and especially what we say on here! And never, NEVER buy a helmet just because it looks cool. Start at your dealer and go from there. Most can get you anything you want before you turn to the internet.

So let me just bring the thread around, I appreciate the opinions but I have done my research and I'm in Alaska, racing and trail riding accepts ECE and I already know it's the brand of helmet I want with no second options. I just wanted to know WHERE I could purchase that won't end up being a rip off!

|

12/9/2017 10:36 PM

navalseabee wrote:

Back to the real question: No there are ZERO US distributors for Airoh, if you want one you will need to use Ebay, Chromeburner, Motostorm.it etc... A personal friend of mine has purchased from both Motostorm and chromeburner with zero issues. Stay away from airohhelmetsusa.com it is a scam, there are a few active investigations against the people who run the site.

It is a fact they are not Snell or DOT rated, they are ECE rated. There is a ton of information regarding all the various ratings on the internet. I would advise you step away from Vital and seek actual facts about the testing process and make your own decision on which is best in your mind. I have experienced zero issues going through various sanctioning bodies (SERA,SECCA, FTR, NEPG, Full Gas) tech inspections with my Airoh.

I will say they are extremely light weight and vent very well. I wore a medium Shoei VFX-W and Bell Moto 9 and find my Airoh to fit just as good and true to size.

Thank you!

|

12/9/2017 10:58 PM

The Fast Guy wrote:

Fuck I hate these threads.....Here are some facts.
1. Every helmet sold in the USA is supposed to have at least a DOT sticker in it. Any helmet you buy directly from Europe, the UK, Australia or Asia will NOT be DOT legal and therefor not AMA legal and could present a problem at race like LL (if they check). I know in all of the ISDE's I rode they checked my helmet for our DOT certification (inside and out)
2. The guys that run the Airoh helmets here in the US can do so because professional MX and SX is also sanctioned by the FIM (a loophole I guess or they have the DOT cert).
3. There are significant differences between DOT, Snell and ECE helmets including shell matrix, thickness, EPS, chinstrap retention even eye port size. Testing methods are vastly different and I will tell you DOT and ECE are actually pretty close.
4. Any helmet purchased in Europe or Asia (especially Asia) will have a completely different shell shape and therefore fit unlike almost any other helmet you will find here in the US (be aware if you decide to buy from a Euro website).

I wont get into details but what I'll say next is only opinion however, it comes from 47 years of riding / racing and 25 years industry experience.
To me, Snell is by far the best standard we have. ECE is good and DOT is ok but for us here in the States, after seeing some test numbers, I'll take a Snell helmet every time.
I think what has been happening in the helmet world lately is amazing. 6D turned the helmet industry on its head (pun intended) and forced the rest of the industry to step up. I believe they have too. Many helmet manufacturers have upped the ante and even surpassed what 6D started. The new SE4 from TLD is amazing (I know, Ive crash tested it). Shoei is still an amazing product (also crash tested) and the new helmet with their MEDS technology looks incredible as well. I still think Arai makes a great helmet even though the tech seems old. Actually its not as it uses a multi density EPS liner that all great helmets still use! They just arent using any fancy rotational tech in their lid.
Rotational impact tech (thank you Mips) has added another level of safety we never had before and now Shoei seems to be taking that tech further. Its all great but can anyone tell me what the rotational impact standard is? We know its better but we have no base line to judge from yet. We will I'm sure, right now though we just dont know.

Anyway kids, take this info as you like and I hope it helps in some small way. I'll leave you with this. The helmet that fits you the best and I mean in every way, regardless of brand, is the best helmet on the market for YOU. Do not get sucked in by weight, what you buddy says and especially what we say on here! And never, NEVER buy a helmet just because it looks cool. Start at your dealer and go from there. Most can get you anything you want before you turn to the internet.

AIROH helmets are ECE approved
Good enough in Aussie (and our officials are a cross between Nanna, and Hitler.), and FIM events.
I doubt Helmets bought in Europe would have different shell/ head shape. Why would this be?

Fit is vitally important. For example, my head isn’t Arai shaped, Shoei helmets are more comfortable for long periods. (I road race in an Arai, that is a very good fit, for shorter periods. Nice and snug.)

I really like the Airoh, for off road, MX and Supermoto. Love the lack of weight.

|

12/9/2017 11:20 PM

305FC250 wrote:

I really don't get the "you're throwing away money if you buy anything else" attitude from the 6D guys. You guys are like vegans, can't go five minutes without telling someone you own a 6D and how everything else is so inferior. They're good helmets, we get it. I still see people getting concussions with them so they aren't magic.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Got that right. I still have the image of Zach Bell getting knocked the fuck out over the triple in my mind. Granted it could of happened in any helmet but if I remember correctly 6D had just hit the market. Wasn't a very good look for them. That said I don't think he suffered any brain injuries.

I don't think he's been the same since that accident.

I was wearing a Bell Moto 8 when I had my accident and it did its job. Plenty of injured parts but glad I didn't suffer a head injury. It would be very difficult to persuade me to wear anything other than a Bell even to this day if I could still ride.

There's no doubt there's other great helmets on the market but the 6D isn't the be all and end all of helmets. The best thing a person can do is buy a helmet that fits their head properly. Make sure that it's snug and not tight or loose. That in my opinion is what makes the biggest difference in the event of a crash.

MXMattii wrote:

Funny you bring up Crashing Bell. When he was racing with Geico and with 6D he had "only concussions" when he raced with Rockstar Husqvarna and Airoh the first real hit gave him a bleeding in his brain. Don't wanna imply anything, just naming facts :-D

Comparing injuries from different crashes does not provide usable "facts". I do not believe the 6D is the end all solution, they are not comfortable for me...plus they are very heavy and bulky. I have been using using an AGV AX-8 for years andnit is great. Time for a new lid, but they no longer make them in plain white, so I am going Bell moto 9.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/10/2017 12:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2017 4:42 AM

I have a 6D helmet. The safety features are fantastic. The fit is okay, but i can live with that.

The biggest issue is weight, size and quality(especially the liner & cheekpads). These 3 parts are not anywhere near good enough for a 700+ helmet if you ask me. The biggest problem is the weight.

I'm not saying that anything heavier than a 1000g Airoh is junk but i hope 6D figures something out for their next helmet model because the current one is a brick.

I'll take a closer look at the new Shoei when the local dealer gets them.

|

12/10/2017 6:00 AM

Last time I flattened my helmet, I try a couple of different brands (shoei, AGV) and still stuck with Airoh because of the weight and size. I believe that a helmet for moto must be light and small because if you cartwhell and hit the ground the forces to your neck should beas little as possible. The speed in moto is low compared to the street and I don't think you need a thick shell and a big liner. Does more harm than good.

|