Helmet for 2 year old on Stacyc

Mx391
Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 11:10am
My little guy rides the hell out of his stacyc. He currently has a bicycle helmet from target and a Fly moto helmet. At 2.5 years old he can ride around the yard with both his feet up and ride standing up so I want to start taking him to the pump track.

I want to find a better helmet for him. I want him to have a full face helmet on incase he falls and lands face first. The bicycle helmet is obv not a full face helmet. The Fly moto helmet fits him great but I'm worried its too heavy for him. He doesn't show signs that its too heavy, but I'm concerned it is too heavy for his developing neck/body. I don't want him to have any neck problems in the future. I heard the Fox V1 moto helmet was pretty light so I was gonna order that to compare to the Fly helmet until I saw Kailub Russell's vlog. His son was riding a Stacyc bike with what appeared to be BMX helmet with a added face guard. I cant find any online.

Anyone know where to get a youth bmx helmet with a face gaurd? Or know of any other light weight fullface helmets?
|
tek14
6/10/2019 4:42am
Did look one too but all full face were so heavy that neck isnt ready for it. Bicycle helmets around 200-300g but full helmets were close to 1000g if you dont get top of the line helmets but they dont start kids sizes. Let us know if you find one.
Jt$
6/10/2019 5:51am
FLY Default helmet works nicely at this age.
MELTON139
Fantasy
3627th
6/10/2019 6:39am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2019 6:43am
Jt$ wrote:
JT I'm in the same boat, have two little girls, one turned 3 in February and one turned 2 in January, they are obsessed with bikes, and I think I will be getting them a Stacyc here soon and a PW for Christmas. Will the Fly Default helmet be sufficient when they get onto the PW? Also how does the Elite Vigilant compare to the default helmet? Looking for a pink colorway lol
Mx391
6/10/2019 7:14am
Jt$ wrote:
I think he has the Fly toxin now. Like I said, fits him great, just seems heavy. Do you know what the weight difference is between the toxin and default?

The Shop

Jt$
6/10/2019 7:19am
The Default is a BMX targeted helmet but great for little ones because it's so light.

The Elite helmet is another great option. It's 2.8 lbs and entry level pricing. That's what I would recommend for a PW.

The Toxin is our first price level for MIPS protection but I would say it's not the ideal weight for a 2.5 year old. I would go Default or Youth Elite.
Denn700
6/10/2019 7:25am
My son has a full faced Bell helmet that is a BMX helmet. I can’t remember the name but it is perfect for his size.
6/10/2019 7:33am
Mx391 wrote:
My little guy rides the hell out of his stacyc. He currently has a bicycle helmet from target and a Fly moto helmet. At 2.5 years...
My little guy rides the hell out of his stacyc. He currently has a bicycle helmet from target and a Fly moto helmet. At 2.5 years old he can ride around the yard with both his feet up and ride standing up so I want to start taking him to the pump track.

I want to find a better helmet for him. I want him to have a full face helmet on incase he falls and lands face first. The bicycle helmet is obv not a full face helmet. The Fly moto helmet fits him great but I'm worried its too heavy for him. He doesn't show signs that its too heavy, but I'm concerned it is too heavy for his developing neck/body. I don't want him to have any neck problems in the future. I heard the Fox V1 moto helmet was pretty light so I was gonna order that to compare to the Fly helmet until I saw Kailub Russell's vlog. His son was riding a Stacyc bike with what appeared to be BMX helmet with a added face guard. I cant find any online.

Anyone know where to get a youth bmx helmet with a face gaurd? Or know of any other light weight fullface helmets?
I see a lot of kids in the 100% mountain bike kids helmet.
876moto
6/10/2019 7:39am
I have a fox v1 for my kid. Seems to work alright.

CivBars
6/10/2019 7:55am
I think you're on the right track with the Fox V1. It's a moto helmet, it's light, and they're on sale from the regular $120 down to $72, it's hard to beat. I'll put a link.

Fox V1 Youth Helmet Sale
CivBars
6/10/2019 8:10am
Full disclosure, we bought a Fox V1. Also, the Fox V1 seemed to have a lower center of gravity. So even if it was the same weight or a couple grams more, it felt like the bulk of it was more towards the base and would feel lighter or be less strenuous on his head. We compared to a few different brands in the dealership and we almost went with a BMX helmet instead, solely based on your same concerns but I'd rather have the ability for that helmet to be more than just for his Stacyc, and even then... I've seen some kids SHRED on a Stacyc and they need every bit of the protection that a moto helmet offers. The same can be said for BMX and Mountain Bike riders/ helmets. A lightweight lid is nice for the ride, but we wear helmets for the crash.
RJC3PO
6/10/2019 9:05am

For our 2 year old we use this. He has a real Moto helmet as well but this was so much more light that his head wasn't snapping back and forth. He's not on his PW yet and will wear a real helmet for those speeds like our other sons have. It is comfortable for him so he will even wear it when he is on his peddle bike in the street.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
6/10/2019 9:38am
Being Canadian I'd buy him a good hockey helmet and call it a day, very light and I've cranked my head off the ice many a time (playing full contact at 150lbs gets you hit a LOT) and only 1 concussion to show for it, cheapshot from behind.
MELTON139
Fantasy
3627th
6/10/2019 12:32pm
Jt$ wrote:
The Default is a BMX targeted helmet but great for little ones because it's so light. The Elite helmet is another great option. It's 2.8 lbs...
The Default is a BMX targeted helmet but great for little ones because it's so light.

The Elite helmet is another great option. It's 2.8 lbs and entry level pricing. That's what I would recommend for a PW.

The Toxin is our first price level for MIPS protection but I would say it's not the ideal weight for a 2.5 year old. I would go Default or Youth Elite.
Just compared the weight of the fox v1 and from the only info I can find the Fly Elite helmet is 1.5 lbs lighter which is 62%, so I think I will be going with the FLY! Thanks JT
CivBars
6/10/2019 12:36pm
Jt$ wrote:
The Default is a BMX targeted helmet but great for little ones because it's so light. The Elite helmet is another great option. It's 2.8 lbs...

MELTON139 wrote:
Just compared the weight of the fox v1 and from the only info I can find the Fly Elite helmet is 1.5 lbs lighter which is...
Just compared the weight of the fox v1 and from the only info I can find the Fly Elite helmet is 1.5 lbs lighter which is 62%, so I think I will be going with the FLY! Thanks JT
What are the sizes and weights?
MELTON139
Fantasy
3627th
6/10/2019 12:44pm
CivBars wrote:
From a Q&A on rocky mountain, they said the V1 is 4.5 lbs and JT said the weight on the Elite is 2.8
CivBars
6/10/2019 1:14pm
CivBars wrote:
MELTON139 wrote:
From a Q&A on rocky mountain, they said the V1 is 4.5 lbs and JT said the weight on the Elite is 2.8
CivBars
6/10/2019 2:40pm
MELTON139 wrote:
I stand corrected, thanks!
You got it. I had to do some research as I was starting to feel bad about putting a 4.5 lbs helmet on my son! I'd go with the Fly if that's what you're leaning towards. I found that both weight and price seem to be about the same with all of the helmets in question, give or take a few oz here and a couple bucks there. Good luck!
CivBars
6/10/2019 3:16pm
Now the real question remains.. What is a good lightweight helmet for a youngster that is having a hard time with goggles and needs a visor screen? Dual sport style. I think I want one of these! Shocked

RexEasely
6/10/2019 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2019 8:42pm
I bought my 4 year old a Pryme full face helmet. It weights 2 lbs or 966g. It comes in xxs. its basically for bmx. It's not DOT approved. It's made in Australia. I founds the helmets have too much unecessy materials and features. I survived many years in the basic bell moto 3. Give me a light weight foam shell. It cute to see them ride but realize I'm putting them at risk for injury so I keep the speeds low and the terrain flat and ride in isolated areas.
CivBars
6/11/2019 9:39am
Not trying to start up a neck brace debate but if you have a good fitting moto helmet and the little one is having their head snap back and forth because their neck isn't strong enough, that could help remedy it. Alpinestars makes a youth neck brace in small and large sizes. With the helmet, a chest protectors shoulder pads and a neck brace it starts to get a little cramped though. Keep that in mind.

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/mx/youth/sequence-youth-neck-roll

Mx391
6/11/2019 11:10am
CivBars wrote:
Not trying to start up a neck brace debate but if you have a good fitting moto helmet and the little one is having their head...
Not trying to start up a neck brace debate but if you have a good fitting moto helmet and the little one is having their head snap back and forth because their neck isn't strong enough, that could help remedy it. Alpinestars makes a youth neck brace in small and large sizes. With the helmet, a chest protectors shoulder pads and a neck brace it starts to get a little cramped though. Keep that in mind.

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/mx/youth/sequence-youth-neck-roll

Good idea

Post a reply to: Helmet for 2 year old on Stacyc

The Latest