Helmet for 2 year old

gregyou
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 7:58am
Am I crazy for letting her wear this ? She likes it but I’m worried it will damage her neck. Just turned 2.
Just riding her around on the pw50
Not sure if posting the right area
|
cwel11
6/27/2022 2:24am
I’d argue any helmet is better than no helmet. Just measure her head and shop around.
Motofinne
6/27/2022 3:12am
I would look at a MTB full-face helmet instead. A 2 year old will ride very slowly and any kind of crash will probably be well within what a good MTB full-face helmet is designed to handle.
6/27/2022 3:19am
I’d just get a good kids bike helmet. And dude… be careful. A 100lb pw is a lot of weight capable of going way too fast for its own good. Buy a Stacyc
gregyou
6/27/2022 3:53am
I’d just get a good kids bike helmet. And dude… be careful. A 100lb pw is a lot of weight capable of going way too fast...
I’d just get a good kids bike helmet. And dude… be careful. A 100lb pw is a lot of weight capable of going way too fast for its own good. Buy a Stacyc
I probably worded it wrong, not on her own yet she just does the throttle with me on the back.
She has a sherco electric balance bike still not quiet touching the ground on that yet

The Shop

gregyou
6/27/2022 3:54am
Motofinne wrote:
I would look at a MTB full-face helmet instead. A 2 year old will ride very slowly and any kind of crash will probably be well...
I would look at a MTB full-face helmet instead. A 2 year old will ride very slowly and any kind of crash will probably be well within what a good MTB full-face helmet is designed to handle.
That’s what I was thinking
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
6/27/2022 4:30am
My kids all started off on bicycle helmets. But we were running electric bikes that had speed and torque control (OSET). But we started on those helmets because they are nice for little kids who aren’t strong enough for full face helmets yet.
crt32
6/27/2022 5:44am
Ours started in a Bell Sanction helmet at 2 and then upgrade to a Fly helmet at 3. The year difference was huge in how a normal motocross helmet fit. At 2 it was like a bobblehead, but 3 fits perfectly.

early
Fantasy
2231st
6/27/2022 6:23am
Bike helmet for sure. Get a cheap kick balance bike with a lower seat before moving to anything with power.
6/27/2022 7:11am
I’d just get a good kids bike helmet. And dude… be careful. A 100lb pw is a lot of weight capable of going way too fast...
gregyou wrote:
I probably worded it wrong, not on her own yet she just does the throttle with me on the back. She has a sherco electric balance...
I probably worded it wrong, not on her own yet she just does the throttle with me on the back.
She has a sherco electric balance bike still not quiet touching the ground on that yet
ok, I would still just suggest a quality kids bike helmet. I wouldnt bother with trying to find a full face unless you can find a youth BMX full face.
MelonFan123
6/27/2022 7:32am

100% makes a kids bike helmet that a few of my friends have for their young kids.
Broseph
6/27/2022 7:48am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 8:01am
gregyou wrote:
Am I crazy for letting her wear this ? She likes it but I’m worried it will damage her neck. Just turned 2. Just riding her...
Am I crazy for letting her wear this ? She likes it but I’m worried it will damage her neck. Just turned 2.
Just riding her around on the pw50
Not sure if posting the right area
I know what you mean. My little guy was on a PW at 3, and I was never impressed with how big and heavy dirt bike helmets were for him.

At PW speeds, a DOT/ECE/SNELL rating might do more harm than good. Smaller/lighter full face MTB helmet seems like a better choice.
Tater
Fantasy
285th
6/27/2022 9:53am
Maybe 2 year olds shouldn't ride motorcycles
I can't argue with this but he did say this is for ride-along not solo and you see too many pics of the tiny kid on the bike with dad and no helmet at all.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/27/2022 10:10am
Maybe 2 year olds shouldn't ride motorcycles
My son was riding his electric balance a few months before he turned 3. These things are incredible teaching machines, you can limit the speed easy, they are lightweight, no centrifugal clutch to spool up, no hot exhaust, you can talk to them easy as they're riding.

Just take it easy and don't push them too hard, let them grow into it and move up to a gas bike when they are ready.
Donkey Kong
6/27/2022 1:51pm
Tater wrote:
I can't argue with this but he did say this is for ride-along not solo and you see too many pics of the tiny kid on...
I can't argue with this but he did say this is for ride-along not solo and you see too many pics of the tiny kid on the bike with dad and no helmet at all.
Is it worth a concussion? Just wait a bit man there's no rush
Donkey Kong
6/27/2022 1:54pm
early wrote:
My son was riding his electric balance a few months before he turned 3. These things are incredible teaching machines, you can limit the speed easy...
My son was riding his electric balance a few months before he turned 3. These things are incredible teaching machines, you can limit the speed easy, they are lightweight, no centrifugal clutch to spool up, no hot exhaust, you can talk to them easy as they're riding.

Just take it easy and don't push them too hard, let them grow into it and move up to a gas bike when they are ready.
The fact that OP is asking for a helmet for his 2 year old is because they don't make motorcycle helmets for 2 year olds, because they're 2 year olds. Dude if your kid is in a car seat maybe hold off on the motorcycle.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/27/2022 2:28pm
early wrote:
My son was riding his electric balance a few months before he turned 3. These things are incredible teaching machines, you can limit the speed easy...

The fact that OP is asking for a helmet for his 2 year old is because they don't make motorcycle helmets for 2 year olds, because...
The fact that OP is asking for a helmet for his 2 year old is because they don't make motorcycle helmets for 2 year olds, because they're 2 year olds. Dude if your kid is in a car seat maybe hold off on the motorcycle.
Kids are in car seats until they're 7 years old nowadays. We have the tools now to grow a kids skill with their age, I suggested the OP get a strider style kick bike for his daughter. My 2 year old daughter is balancing on a bike with her feet up down slight grades for hundreds of feet at a time, she LOVES it. She'll be on the electric bike soon too at just above a walking pace. You can get kids twisting a throttle very safely, but it won't be time for a PW50 for a while.
dedi684
6/27/2022 7:15pm
I used the fly kids helmet when my guy was little. Seemed to be best fitting and not too heavy. Once he got a few years older the newer troy lee helmets have been a good fit.
mwssquad827
6/27/2022 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 7:18pm
Motofinne wrote:
I would look at a MTB full-face helmet instead. A 2 year old will ride very slowly and any kind of crash will probably be well...
I use the youth FLY mtb helmet.. it’s lighter and smaller of a helmet For what it’s worth.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
mwssquad827
6/27/2022 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 7:24pm
early wrote:

The fact that OP is asking for a helmet for his 2 year old is because they don't make motorcycle helmets for 2 year olds, because...
And kids are suppose to be in car seats til they are like 90-100lbs now….. sooo

Also I know this totally a old thing to say but half of on here didn’t use car seats and also rode in the back of trucks 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻 And we are fine…

His 2 year old will be fine👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Mine are and they rode at 2 and 3….
gregyou
6/27/2022 9:06pm
early wrote:

Literally putting around a paddock at walking speed, no different to riding any electric toy.

Asking the helmet question because she asks to wear it and I want her to be comfortable in one for one she is old enough to ride on her own
mwssquad827
6/27/2022 10:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 10:30pm
early wrote:

gregyou wrote:
Literally putting around a paddock at walking speed, no different to riding any electric toy. Asking the helmet question because she asks to wear it and...
Literally putting around a paddock at walking speed, no different to riding any electric toy.

Asking the helmet question because she asks to wear it and I want her to be comfortable in one for one she is old enough to ride on her own
Well done!! Let your kids live life… electric bikes are awesome my lil kids have so much fun on them.. slow at first now they rip around (for fun, not to be the next tomac).also my kids loved to gear up and ride their electric or pw bikes. 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻👍🏻
6/27/2022 11:27pm
My 2.5yo runs a fox rampage mtb helmet at the bmx track and on the stacyc. Fit right on the money with their sizing guide and he loves it.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
6/29/2022 6:01am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 6:12am
I saw this the other day and it had me curious as well. I'm not rushing my oldest boy into riding, but he saw me riding 2 weekends ago and now he likes riding his Strider and making sounds and calls it his dirt bike, so I think he's going to want to ride, but the rule is he has to be able to ride a bike by himself first.

I had him try on my adult Medium helmet (Fox) and it was tight going on and getting off but seemed big when it was on him. I measured his head and it is 20.5", he will be 4 in a little over 3 months, he has a big head for his age. I was looking at an adult small Bell helmet, because the Bell Moto 9 MIPS youth is 20-20-7/8" for the L/XL. Should I jump up to an adult sized helmet for him and how tight should the helmet be? A Bell adult small is 21-5/8-22", an adult sx is 20-27/8-21-5/8".
mwssquad827
6/29/2022 6:53am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 7:58am
mx 219 wrote:
I saw this the other day and it had me curious as well. I'm not rushing my oldest boy into riding, but he saw me riding...
I saw this the other day and it had me curious as well. I'm not rushing my oldest boy into riding, but he saw me riding 2 weekends ago and now he likes riding his Strider and making sounds and calls it his dirt bike, so I think he's going to want to ride, but the rule is he has to be able to ride a bike by himself first.

I had him try on my adult Medium helmet (Fox) and it was tight going on and getting off but seemed big when it was on him. I measured his head and it is 20.5", he will be 4 in a little over 3 months, he has a big head for his age. I was looking at an adult small Bell helmet, because the Bell Moto 9 MIPS youth is 20-20-7/8" for the L/XL. Should I jump up to an adult sized helmet for him and how tight should the helmet be? A Bell adult small is 21-5/8-22", an adult sx is 20-27/8-21-5/8".
Before I bought my kids helmets I talked to the fly rep and the parts unlimited rep..they both said this and this is how I made my decision…

Mtb full face helmets are light and smaller for there necks (less bobble head and risk for neck injury, one of them said a small moto helmet is equivalent to a adult wearing a 20-30lb helmet) and can take a impact safely…BUT when they get faster and start going at more speed then they need a moto specific helmet… that is made for and certified for more MOTO impacts
For whatever that is all worth..
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
6/29/2022 7:20am
mx 219 wrote:
I saw this the other day and it had me curious as well. I'm not rushing my oldest boy into riding, but he saw me riding...

Before I bought my kids helmets I talked to the fly rep and the parts unlimited rep..they both said this and this is how I made...
Before I bought my kids helmets I talked to the fly rep and the parts unlimited rep..they both said this and this is how I made my decision…

Mtb full face helmets are light and smaller for there necks (less bobble head and risk for neck injury, one of them said a small moto helmet is equivalent to a adult wearing a 20-30lb helmet) and can take a impact safely…BUT when they get faster and start going at more speed then they need a moto specific helmet… that is made for and certified for more MOTO impacts
For whatever that is all worth..
Thanks, I have been looking at the Bell mountainbike helmets as well. Hoping to get something with at least MIPS certification, but when he is on a 50 and just putting around riding it might be okay to skip that certification.

Post a reply to: Helmet for 2 year old

The Latest