Helmet fitment

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2018 7:59 PM

My new 6d came in today and I’m just wondering if it’s to tight, I measured my head before ordering and I felt like the large was the best option for me but when it got here is seemed a little tight. It’s been forever since I’ve bought a new helmet so I could just not be use to it. How do you tell if it’s to tight?

|

1/31/2018 11:58 PM

If it’s to tight it’s to tight! But it will break in some and loosen up.

|

2/1/2018 12:14 AM

You can't just measure your head and order a helmet. It'll give you an indication but every head is shaped different. Helmet fitment differs from brand to brand

|

2/1/2018 1:32 AM

Different brands will be sized different. We have found we have to run a size bigger in Bell than 6D for instance!

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



2/1/2018 3:46 AM

If it doesn’t hurt, it’s not too tight. A loose helmet won’t protect you as much.

|

2/1/2018 5:41 AM

You want your helmet to be as snug around the crown of your head as you can get it. Cheek padding etc are not an indicator. If the helmet is too big on the crown of your head it will move more when you crash. For the record, one of the helmet manufacturers did a study years ago and found that more than 75% of the people were wearing helmets that were too big. When I owned my shop, I used to just tell people to wear the tightest helmet they could stand. And Im sure someone will chime in and say I'm wrong just because this is Vital.

|

2/1/2018 5:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2018 5:44 AM

AZRider wrote:

You want your helmet to be as snug around the crown of your head as you can get it. Cheek padding etc are not an indicator. If ...more

I’m not saying you are wrong. But, you are stating your opinion to be stone cold fact, have you anything to back up your claims?

I just ordered a Bell, had to bump up a size from my previous AGV.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

2/1/2018 5:50 AM

AZ you're not far off at all. A person's forehead should move with the helmet and be as snug as possible without causing a headache in a few minutes. That rider will probably not wear it after a while. Not so sure about a break-in period but, if you have long hair getting it cut may be just the room needed for a proper fit.

|

2/1/2018 5:57 AM

The helmet is pretty snug just from putting it on to try it out, I’m pretty certain that once it’s good and broken in after a ride or two it’ll be perfect.

|

2/1/2018 6:08 AM

zac_k3 wrote:

The helmet is pretty snug just from putting it on to try it out, I’m pretty certain that once it’s good and broken in after a ...more

Where is it snug? On your forehead or just the cheek pads? Because you can always change stuff out. Most helmets have like 3 different shell sizes XS-S / M-L / XL-XXL so you can change out padding.

|

2/1/2018 7:06 AM

wideopen198 wrote:

Where is it snug? On your forehead or just the cheek pads? Because you can always change stuff out. Most helmets have like 3 ...more

It’s snug all the way around, that’s why I thought it was maybe to small but I tried on a XL and it’s got a little play in it so I think I made the right choice.

|

2/1/2018 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2018 7:13 AM

Here's a thought...maybe instead of asking the "experts" here on the forum about a relative fitment issue (too tight varies from one head to another)...you call 6D and explain your situation.

Pretty sure they know their product fitment better than anyone and might be able to offer you a solution.

Here's their number: (714) 772-2121

|

2/1/2018 3:28 PM

AZRider wrote:

You want your helmet to be as snug around the crown of your head as you can get it. Cheek padding etc are not an indicator. If ...more

BobPA wrote:

I’m not saying you are wrong. But, you are stating your opinion to be stone cold fact, have you anything to back up your ...more

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/fitting-or-not-fitting-helmet

Just one source, but says what I said in slightly more thorough terms.

|

2/1/2018 4:44 PM

I absolutly love my 6d helmets but when I ordered my first one I did as you did and measured my head and purchased a small as per their dimensions even though I wore a fox v3 in medium, I ended up returning the helmet because there was just too much pressure on the top of my head above my forehead and got the medium with the smaller cheek pads and the fit is spot on now! Hope this helps

|

2/1/2018 4:59 PM

Put it on your head with dry hair: shake your head like your angrily saying,”No!”
Nod your head vigorously like you’re trying to let a stripper know you like what she’s doing.
Do this a coupl’a times & see how it feels.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

2/1/2018 5:31 PM

AZRider wrote:

You want your helmet to be as snug around the crown of your head as you can get it. Cheek padding etc are not an indicator. If ...more

BobPA wrote:

I’m not saying you are wrong. But, you are stating your opinion to be stone cold fact, have you anything to back up your ...more

AGVs run big, one of only three helmets on the market I can think of that I run a small in...the rest are mediums.

|

2/1/2018 5:33 PM

It's a squeeze to get my head in, but once its on, its comfy. They are always a tad too snug at first, if they are fitted correctly.
As mentioned, different brands fit differently.

I have a background in medicine from my previous career, and now part of what I do is custom fitting of helmets for our helicopter flight crew members... I'll spend an hour or more on some guys getting their helmets fitting just right, it's important.

There have been lots of times I've been in a shop, looking at helmets, and I'll see some dad fitting his kid for a helmet, basically throws the helmet on, kid says it fits and away they go, with the helmet flopping all around the kids head. I've helped people get a properly fitted helmet, and I don't even work at the place, I just know it's important.

My Shoei cups my head from the top of my forehead, all the way around to the base of the occipital bone and it does not move an inch when I shake my head or nod up and down, without the strap done up. Thats a properly fitted helmet.

|