Helmet Quality (6D, Shoei, Arai, etc).

cwtoyota
Edited Date/Time 12/12/2015 10:36pm
Sunday evening I woke up in the hospital with no idea why I was there or how I got there.
It turns out I was racing and took a hard hit to the head. After going down I was totally out of the loop but I tried to get back into the race and jumped on the bike. Lucky for me (and everyone else) the track crew flagged me off and talked me into getting checked out.

I was wearing a Shoei VFX/W and I'm glad I spent the money for a quality helmet and will do so again.

I am looking for a new high-end helmet to replace my Shoei. I may end up with the same make/model, but I am leaning toward something with some modern low-speed impact protection that seems to be coming into the game. Can I get some input from you guys regarding the build-quality and durability of the higher end helmets out on the market right now?

I have a Fox V3 as a back-up helmet and it is of decent quality, but not a top-shelf helmet like the Shoei or Arai.
My last Bell helmet was the Moto 8, which seemed like a lower quality helmet. I don't think I would buy another Bell.

I looked at the 6D when they were first released, and was considering it due to the new technology in concussion protection. The 6D looked and felt like a middle of the line helmet with a top-shelf price. That was over a year ago, so perhaps my memory is faulty. Does 6D bank on their technology to bridge the quality gap vs Arai & Shoei

The Arai seems like the highest quality helmet with the best fit & finish I've ever handled. The Shoei seems very close to that level and is a bit more stylish while a bit lower in price.

I'd love to hear some input while I am shopping for a new lid.
|
Grizz
6/9/2015 9:33pm
A thread like this will just get everyone saying their favorite brand or what they wear and MAYBE a few insightful posts.

With that said, I would go Bell Moto 9 or Arai. I wear a Bell.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
6/9/2015 9:36pm
I wear a Bell Moto 9 and my head is worth more than the cost of any helmet
nytsmaC
6/9/2015 9:56pm
I agree that the 6Dlooked/felt unimpressive.

I wear a Shoei, but I was blown away by how nice the new Arai VX4 felt. It's been a while, but I remember thinking the Airoh felt really nice too when I tried it on.

I've never owned a Bell but the Moto9 felt decent to me, I liked the feel of it much better than the 6D.
SAM642
6/9/2015 10:03pm
I have an airoh, I love it, I tried wearing my fox v2 the other day as it was super muddy and the liner is light coloured in the airoh (maybe a small downfall) and hated the v2 and took it off as soon as I could, heavy as hell. The airoh is so light you wonder how it can be so protective!

In it a fan of the look of the arai or the 6d, I know looks aren't the most Important thing but you do have to atleast like the helmet! I do like the shoei though.

Also people tend to say you either have a shoei head or an arai head, if you liked the shoei make sure you try an arai before buying

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/9/2015 10:12pm
i think the new bells are a big step up from the earlier ones (i wear a shoei)

I have been shoei or arai for the last 10 years, but would seriously consider a new bell,
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3249th
6/9/2015 10:23pm
Knocked myself out in a Shoei, thankful I was wearing it. Picked up a Bell Moto 9 and it is hands down the most comfortable quality helmet I have owned. That being said, I would check out the new Moto 9 Flex.
bvm111
6/9/2015 10:29pm
I had something similar happen to me about 17 years ago, I was wearing one of AXO's first full carbon fiber helmets and essentially shattered the shell and liner. I was fully unconscious for over 5 minutes and almost was a goner by the looks of the medic and multiple ammonia packets next to me, my response... "what happened" and he said that was the best thing he ever heard! I remember right before impact, the crack and flash, and I remember the hospital... I have no clue how I got to the ER, changing, loading at the track... or the 2 hour drive.

I switched to Shoei when I decided to ride again, and now after a long time away from riding I am back in a Shoei. I haven't tested it out but I know it is one of the best helmets available. I am very interested in the 6D and Moto 9 Flex, but, will seriously consider the new Arai after the first of the year when I purchase my next helmet... not sure why... but I think I will wait a bit for some more R&D on the new technology being brought to market the past couple of years!

cwtoyota
6/9/2015 10:42pm
bvm111 wrote:
I had something similar happen to me about 17 years ago, I was wearing one of AXO's first full carbon fiber helmets and essentially shattered the...
I had something similar happen to me about 17 years ago, I was wearing one of AXO's first full carbon fiber helmets and essentially shattered the shell and liner. I was fully unconscious for over 5 minutes and almost was a goner by the looks of the medic and multiple ammonia packets next to me, my response... "what happened" and he said that was the best thing he ever heard! I remember right before impact, the crack and flash, and I remember the hospital... I have no clue how I got to the ER, changing, loading at the track... or the 2 hour drive.

I switched to Shoei when I decided to ride again, and now after a long time away from riding I am back in a Shoei. I haven't tested it out but I know it is one of the best helmets available. I am very interested in the 6D and Moto 9 Flex, but, will seriously consider the new Arai after the first of the year when I purchase my next helmet... not sure why... but I think I will wait a bit for some more R&D on the new technology being brought to market the past couple of years!

I am in the same boat with Shoei and Arai for now... I am willing to consider that new tech though I am thinking the same about it being young technology.

I appreciate all the input from everyone so far.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
6/9/2015 11:28pm
I recently had to chose between all of the helmets you listed. It literally took about two months worth of digging to come up with what I feel is the best choice. One thing I don't understand is why Snell and ECE ratings are not released. There is ZERO hard evidence of how the Shoei, Bell, Arai and 6D do in crash tests. I ended up settling on the brand new Arai for several different reasons, fit and quality control of manufacturing are two of the biggest reasons. There is some good info out there, you just have to dig for it. My advice to you is, dig in and spend some serious time doing your own research. I have a feeling if you do, by the end you will know what helmet will be best for you.
JB479
6/9/2015 11:44pm
I personally think they are all good helmets (Bell,6D,Shoei,Arai).

I ran Shoei's VFX-W for a number of years. Had a pretty big crash last year and knocked myself out.

After that i tried out the 6D helmet which is my current helmet aswell. It definitely isn't as comfy as the VFX-W but it's still an unreal helmet.

Im not going to say the 6D would protect you better than a Shoei,Arai etc. I think all those helmets would do a good job at protecting your head.
Motofinne
6/10/2015 1:55am
I have a VFX-W and 2 Fox V4 helmets and the difference in quality is pretty big. I would go for a Bell moto 9 flex, Arai or Shoei. I haven't tried a 6D.
WFO!
6/10/2015 4:50am
HJC for the win!!
(Just kidding)

Hirotake Arai .......a true dynasty of relentlessly high quality helmets.

Once you wear Arai you will throw rocks at most other brands.
Crush
6/10/2015 5:29am
Highsider wrote:
I have been a Bell 9 guy and now likely evolve to this: [img]http://64c162442026ed407fea-97b288b6e6fd7a6d6cbc143cab5dddce.r18.cf1.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/540x/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/M/o/Moto-9-Flex-Blocked-Blue.png[/img] http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/dirt/moto-9-carbon-flex/
I have been a Bell 9 guy and now likely evolve to this:

http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/dirt/moto-9-carbon-flex/
Love my 6D too, pic below, looks great in person, colour and shape is cool... and I think quality wise seems legit, as good or better than my TLD...

Tho I really like the design in that new Bell too, not in love with the shape of it, but the tech is cool. I'm just glad to see the helmet manufacturers pushing new designs finally!

6/10/2015 5:43am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2015 5:49am
I want to buy a shoei but I'm scaed they will release a new model the next day. Their current one has been out for a really long while.
swtwtwtw
6/10/2015 5:54am
What I find convenient with the 6d helmet is the availability online of customizing the fit. I just purchased a new medium liner and thicker cheekpads (55's) and bam great fit and feels new again.
Dtat720
6/10/2015 6:02am
When doing your research you will find most all of the middle class helmets are manufactured by the top class. Several helmet companies got out of the market back in 09 or 10? Dont remember which year, but, the concussion scare forced regulators to impose an increase on helmet liability to a $25mil cash bond. AXO liquidated their inventory and sold off their helmet making equipment. Most others followed suit and went to Bell, Shoei, etc to take up manufacturing and branding.

I dont know if it is still the case, but Bell at one time made almost half the brands out there, each brand paid for licensing of designs and manufacturing. This came from another brands rep, so take it for what it is.

Point being, there are only a few actual manufacturers that do the design, r&d and testing. Bell, Shoei, Arai, HJC, Airo, these companies put in the time and resources, the rest pay them to do it.
KGAspeed
6/10/2015 6:22am
First and foremost, the phrase "what is your head worth?" has no value and is uneducated. I didn't read all of the previous comments but I'm sure somewhat said it.

There are no available tests available to truly prove that the most expensive Arai is more protective than a mid-level HJC for example. There is a point where the fit & finish accounts for much of the cost, not the safety factor.

There are a lot of nice, high-end helmets out there from reputable companies, but nothing will prove that one is more protective and safer than another, unfortunately.

That said, the new technology that is coming out from 6D and now Bell (plus MIPS) is impressive and long, long overdue.
Markopolo400
6/10/2015 6:27am
The little design elements of the Arai are what keep me buying them.

The fact that the shell is round so it doesn't catch on the ground and whip your neck, plastic visor fasteners designed to break off in a crash, and a chin bar that doesn't protrude as far as competitors helmets.

IMO the Arai is the best thought out helmet on the market, that's why I am on my 3rd. However if I was going to go with a new "Impact absorbing" helmet, I would go Moto9 flex. Bell is a pure helmet company and has been around forever, and to me, 6D is still too new and unproven (Flame suit on).
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/10/2015 6:36am
I have the moto 9 flex and it is a very comfortable and quality helmet. I bought into their marketing and believe a company like Bell has the ability and resources to make the helmet they claim to have made with the Flex.
mxer512
6/10/2015 6:46am
Just had a pretty hard get off with my Shoei VFX-W and broke a couple snaps in the liner, I walked away though. That being said, are the snaps supposed to break on a hard impact or was it just the way i hit that caused them to break? My wrist, on the other hand, was not so lucky ...hahah. I love my shoei though, comfortable , light, and there are a few companies out there that offer customizable helmet wraps for them if u want to just get the solid colorway and save a lil $$$
RPM68
6/10/2015 6:55am
Shoei is one of the best quality helmets as far as structure, each helmet takes 7 days to build. I think they offer one of the best, but I have had some bad concussions in ALL of THEM! However some were worse than others. I had one of the hardest face slams in my life, and while I was dazed, I wasnt out cold, WEARING my Arai. Now that im a little older and wiser on the track, I have gotten faster and smarter over the years. I wear the Bell Moto 9 Curretly, and im super impressed with the structure, design, and performance of it.

Here is the video of my crash with the Arai. The crash happens at 7:30, but put it at like 6:00 and enjoy a lap at 3 Palms Wink

https://youtu.be/90cNK8lcu1g
joeellis
6/10/2015 8:43am
SAM642 wrote:
I have an airoh, I love it, I tried wearing my fox v2 the other day as it was super muddy and the liner is light...
I have an airoh, I love it, I tried wearing my fox v2 the other day as it was super muddy and the liner is light coloured in the airoh (maybe a small downfall) and hated the v2 and took it off as soon as I could, heavy as hell. The airoh is so light you wonder how it can be so protective!

In it a fan of the look of the arai or the 6d, I know looks aren't the most Important thing but you do have to atleast like the helmet! I do like the shoei though.

Also people tend to say you either have a shoei head or an arai head, if you liked the shoei make sure you try an arai before buying
I feel sure that I recently read on the Arai website that they now offer helmets for both rounder heads and for more oval heads. I'll check to make sure I'm not delusional.

I own a Shoei now and love the fit and comfort. Have had a few minor scuffles with the ground, no impact to create structural damage and I have been fine afterwards.

I believe all the top brands you are looking at are the top helmets out there. Unfortunately, while the controlled environment testing is great, I don't believe this accounts for every situation that could occur in a real life crash. Just my opinion, but I think even the helmet manufacturers will agree with this. With that said, I believe they are making strides to protect us all.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
6/10/2015 8:47am
Dtat720 wrote:
When doing your research you will find most all of the middle class helmets are manufactured by the top class. Several helmet companies got out of...
When doing your research you will find most all of the middle class helmets are manufactured by the top class. Several helmet companies got out of the market back in 09 or 10? Dont remember which year, but, the concussion scare forced regulators to impose an increase on helmet liability to a $25mil cash bond. AXO liquidated their inventory and sold off their helmet making equipment. Most others followed suit and went to Bell, Shoei, etc to take up manufacturing and branding.

I dont know if it is still the case, but Bell at one time made almost half the brands out there, each brand paid for licensing of designs and manufacturing. This came from another brands rep, so take it for what it is.

Point being, there are only a few actual manufacturers that do the design, r&d and testing. Bell, Shoei, Arai, HJC, Airo, these companies put in the time and resources, the rest pay them to do it.
Last I heard, Bell had their helmets manufactured in the same factory in China as the Fox V4 and V3, Fly, 6D and Troy Lee helmets.
Dtat720
6/10/2015 9:09am
Dtat720 wrote:
When doing your research you will find most all of the middle class helmets are manufactured by the top class. Several helmet companies got out of...

mx510 wrote:
Last I heard, Bell had their helmets manufactured in the same factory in China as the Fox V4 and V3, Fly, 6D and Troy Lee helmets.
Thats what i was implying. The factory is a Bell plant, Bell has the insurance by regulation and the rest pay Bell to manufacture their helmets.
Tracktor
6/10/2015 9:24am
We have been wearing Shoei's since the boys were old enough to fit in them and I wore Arais for years also. I am intrigued by the 6d but am waiting for real world testing for a couple of years to make that plunge. My youngest crashed a couple weeks ago and even though no concussion his year old Shoei was done. My local shop gave me a XS Bell Moto 9 for him to try and he absolutely loves it. Says it's more comfortable than the Shoei, fits better and is lighter. For his age/size weight is a big part of it, IMO. First Bell for us so will be interesting to see how it works...................
joeellis
6/10/2015 9:24am
SAM642 wrote:
I have an airoh, I love it, I tried wearing my fox v2 the other day as it was super muddy and the liner is light...

joeellis wrote:
I feel sure that I recently read on the Arai website that they now offer helmets for both rounder heads and for more oval heads. I'll...
I feel sure that I recently read on the Arai website that they now offer helmets for both rounder heads and for more oval heads. I'll check to make sure I'm not delusional.

I own a Shoei now and love the fit and comfort. Have had a few minor scuffles with the ground, no impact to create structural damage and I have been fine afterwards.

I believe all the top brands you are looking at are the top helmets out there. Unfortunately, while the controlled environment testing is great, I don't believe this accounts for every situation that could occur in a real life crash. Just my opinion, but I think even the helmet manufacturers will agree with this. With that said, I believe they are making strides to protect us all.
I was wrong about the Arai shape. Their mx helmet has an intermediate oval shape. They offer various shapes with their road helmets.
KGAspeed
6/10/2015 9:50am
Dtat720 wrote:
Thats what i was implying. The factory is a Bell plant, Bell has the insurance by regulation and the rest pay Bell to manufacture their helmets.
That is essentially the way its always been. KBC is actually one of the biggest manufacturers. I'm not sure how it is right now in 2015, but yeah, there are only a few operations that make them for everyone.
KGAspeed
6/10/2015 9:52am
Tracktor wrote:
We have been wearing Shoei's since the boys were old enough to fit in them and I wore Arais for years also. I am intrigued by...
We have been wearing Shoei's since the boys were old enough to fit in them and I wore Arais for years also. I am intrigued by the 6d but am waiting for real world testing for a couple of years to make that plunge. My youngest crashed a couple weeks ago and even though no concussion his year old Shoei was done. My local shop gave me a XS Bell Moto 9 for him to try and he absolutely loves it. Says it's more comfortable than the Shoei, fits better and is lighter. For his age/size weight is a big part of it, IMO. First Bell for us so will be interesting to see how it works...................
I would think that if a team like Geico will wear the 6D, its legit enough for the public. If I were in the market for a new helmet and didn't have a budget, the 6D would be one of my choices, without a doubt.

Post a reply to: Helmet Quality (6D, Shoei, Arai, etc).

The Latest