Helmet Opinions: 6D ATR-2 or Bell Moto 10

A_Wise1
Edited Date/Time 9/24/2022 12:55am
I have been looking at getting another helmet and have been looking at these too. I like to try different helmets as I currently have a TLD SE4, Bell Moto 9 Flex, and an Alpinestars SM-10. What are people's opinions on these? I know the Moto 10 is scarce but firsthand opinion would be nice. How is the fit, feel, eye port visibility, loudness, how quite they are, and how are the pads for cleaning and durability?
|
tayblackford
9/15/2021 6:32am
cmon Adam, you have plenty...I liked my 6d when I used that. Smoked my head when I broke my scapula and head was all good. Although I like my new SM-10 way more. My visor screws got stripped and I had to buy new screws multiple times. Other that that, never had any issues with it.
49weasel
9/15/2021 8:00am
My son is 7 and wears a Moto 10. He hasn't had any nasty get offs yet so I can't speak to the safety of it. It looks cool but the visor has 2 stupid ass locating pins that snap off very easily and the visor is trash after they break. Bells
Moto520
9/15/2021 9:04am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2021 9:04am
6D ATR2. The helmet lining and pads are really good. Very comfortable and a huge step up from the ATR-1.
9/15/2021 9:16am
I like my ATR-2. I came off of an Arai and I still love the Arai's but I had a couple of concussions in the last few years in 2 different Arai's. I had a bell flex in the past too. The ATR-2 is louder for sure, but comfortable. The bell flex made some squeaking noises that annoyed me. I like the hardware and bag you get and I also like that the ATR-2 is rebuildable.

I don't know if I will wear another SNELL helmet for moto. ECE all the way for me and my family from now on.

The Shop

captmoto
9/15/2021 9:18am
If you can, try them both on. Not all helmets feel good to me and I don't think o should break them in. The 6d fit like a glove and took no time at all to feel perfect.
Moto520
9/15/2021 9:43am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2021 9:46am
I like my ATR-2. I came off of an Arai and I still love the Arai's but I had a couple of concussions in the last...
I like my ATR-2. I came off of an Arai and I still love the Arai's but I had a couple of concussions in the last few years in 2 different Arai's. I had a bell flex in the past too. The ATR-2 is louder for sure, but comfortable. The bell flex made some squeaking noises that annoyed me. I like the hardware and bag you get and I also like that the ATR-2 is rebuildable.

I don't know if I will wear another SNELL helmet for moto. ECE all the way for me and my family from now on.
Same thing with the Arai. I feel like their shell is to stiff and they don't use enough foam to cushion a blow. So comfortable though.......

The only time i've ever been unconscious was in my Arai. True....it could be that the helmet saved me from much worse but i do feel that the shell it too stiff. Compare the foam inner on this helmet to that of a Troy Lee SE4, Bell, or 6D. It is very thin visually. I think they could make a better helmet imo....it does have comfort like no other
mooch
Fantasy
501st
9/15/2021 9:49am
Currently have Bell flex 9 and and ATR-1 and my 6D ATR-2 is my fav helmet ever. Lighter and more comfy than my ATR-1.

In the past have worn Shoei, Arai and Fox...Arai didn't fit my head right and was my least favorite comfort wise.

I admit to being sold on 6D's ODS system...in my opinion the best helmet tech out there right now.
mooch
Fantasy
501st
9/15/2021 9:52am
Moto520 wrote:
Same thing with the Arai. I feel like their shell is to stiff and they don't use enough foam to cushion a blow. So comfortable though...
Same thing with the Arai. I feel like their shell is to stiff and they don't use enough foam to cushion a blow. So comfortable though.......

The only time i've ever been unconscious was in my Arai. True....it could be that the helmet saved me from much worse but i do feel that the shell it too stiff. Compare the foam inner on this helmet to that of a Troy Lee SE4, Bell, or 6D. It is very thin visually. I think they could make a better helmet imo....it does have comfort like no other
Agree on the ARAI...except for the comfort part. Not a good shape for my head shape. To me, Arai is a high dollar helmet with low dollar antiquated tech.
rohr397
9/15/2021 10:08am
I can't say anything negative about the 6D ATR-2 or Bell Moto 10, but these days the SM-10 and SM-8 are the only helmet I've been wearing. Love the light weight and ventilation, and for me the fitment is perfect. They've held up well, though the last few times I've crashed my head hasn't actually made contact with the ground so I can't really say I've got anecdotal crash testing to report on.

When the helmet came out, the safety information presented was really impressive. Between that and the helmet's other features, it's what I ultimately ended up choosing.

I don't think you can really go wrong with the choices you've laid out, so my advice would be to try to find some in stock at local dealers and try them all on and get a feel for what you like or dislike about each one.
Millerrr973
9/15/2021 10:43am

I had several bell moto 9 flex’s over the past few years, but a year ago I made the switch to the SM 10. Both great helmets but my girlfriend bought me a Moto 10 for my birthday and I’ve been wearing it since. Big improvement over the moto 9 IMO. I haven’t taken any dirt naps with it yet.
PNWRider
9/15/2021 9:43pm
A 6d saved my bacon. I won’t go anywhere else now.
Indy mxer
9/16/2021 4:23am
I had a 6D ATR-1 and loved. I switched to a TLD Se4 carbon because I loved the look and felt it was right there with the 6D as far as safety. I really like my TLD lid, but I'm going back to an ATR-2 for my next helmet soon.

I think they're new design is the best out there.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/16/2021 8:05am
Long time Bell Moto 9 / moto 9 flex helmet guy. Switched it up to the 6D/ FXR helmet a couple years ago and they both have a similar fit, although I wear an XXL in bell and an XL in the ATR-2. I really like the 6D….

I recently tried my buddies Bell Moto 10 and they’ve changed the shape of their helmet. It doesn’t feel anything like the Moto 9 did, IMO

Try them all on before you buy one !!
9/23/2022 11:19am
49weasel wrote:
My son is 7 and wears a Moto 10. He hasn't had any nasty get offs yet so I can't speak to the safety of it...
My son is 7 and wears a Moto 10. He hasn't had any nasty get offs yet so I can't speak to the safety of it. It looks cool but the visor has 2 stupid ass locating pins that snap off very easily and the visor is trash after they break. Bells
The Bell moto, like many new helmets, has visor shear off pins to save your brain.

The entire point of Bell MIPS or 6D anti rotation technoogy is to stop the helmet from translating rotational crash forces to your skull, becauese they are seriously bad.

If the visor doesnt have easily breakable shear off pins, the visor becomes a huge paddle to SPIN your helmet and skull.. the exact opposite of what we want in a crash. This is why i dont like the Arai XD4.. that visor seems too securely attached for my taste.
Darrin Willis
9/23/2022 8:39pm
Have a moto 10. Visor sucks as said above. Not that light either. Mine gets full of dirt on race days as I tend to get roosted. I have to use compressed air to clean it out. At the track I take the pads out and bang it on my seat. Dirt falls out like crazy. That being said its comfortable and the lining quality appears to be much better then my old 6d and airoh helmets. The inner foam that slide arouns for protection seems legit.
Tuplavee
9/23/2022 10:28pm
All depends. Tried to go with ATR-2 but sold it after two rides... Big, squeaky, loud and uncomfortable for my head.
whips
Fantasy
3217th
9/24/2022 12:55am
6d or the latest airoh aviator

Post a reply to: Helmet Opinions: 6D ATR-2 or Bell Moto 10

The Latest