Helmet: It's a BIG deal

swtwtwtw
2/1/2019 4:56pm
I like the look of the helmet, and the technology described. However, in my opinion and experience, just about any PROPER fitting helmet with a PROPER fitting mouthpiece is equal to the most high end , techno marvel of a helmet.

That said, this a big deal for FLY as it represents their entrance into the off the shelf, techno safety helmet market

That black one is awesome.
2/1/2019 5:39pm
Show me the data. Test all the heavy hitters and show me the data.
I've seen some of it, vs every helmet sold today. They wont publish it - out of respect and core values to all other companies on...
I've seen some of it, vs every helmet sold today.

They wont publish it - out of respect and core values to all other companies on the market.

And for that reason I as well WONT comment on the surprise dud of the testing.

This helmet wasn't a quick 1 year project, it's been an ongoing desire from the staff to improve where they could - and they hired some really smart people to be involved. The video you say - with the "fake lab coats' aren't fake lab coats or people.

I WILL SAY - if I ride - i WILL be riding in one of these. If it wasnt this - it would be a 6d.

drt410 wrote:
Thats unfortunate that a lot of people could be risking serious injury by buying the “dud” and never know.
I should have spoken more politically.

One wasn't as good as expected.
ALL "quality" helmets these days - have a minimum standard of safety that is excellent and if you spend 300 on up at retail (plenty of bargin deals on these at 100 on up) you have an excellent helmet

While not everyone feels the value to part with 650 or 800 vs 150 - to some that extra money - if the protection is there - is worth it.

Sadly I feel until 6d and now this - a lot of helmet pricing was branding - as construction between a fly f2 or a shoei is incredibly similar.

I actually totally agree with arai - the round shape and "basic look" is safer than cool shaping but its harder to sell...
2/1/2019 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 6:01pm
Lol lets keep secrets about testing helmets out of respect for competitors...Riigghhttt So WPS obviously doesn't have a team of engineers and a lab to create...
Lol lets keep secrets about testing helmets out of respect for competitors...Riigghhttt

So WPS obviously doesn't have a team of engineers and a lab to create this helmet, and apparently it was developed by world leading scientists...Who are they and what are their credentials?

I will stick with my Arai helmets too.
Should they bash hard working companies?
Leading physicists with PHD's isn't enough info? What i find cool - is fly went out and hired people respected in their fields for this, and spent big money to do it.
Any PHD physicist given the task of helmet design will do a good job. especially if given budget and time.

It's unethical - and totally against the core values of the WPS owner to talk down on other companies. If you look at the company - their staff, and their history they have NO history bad mouthing.

One rule in life - don't gossip - or talk shit on other people. People love gossip - but staying out of it for some is important.

I should have never commented on what I do know. It was a mistake. So I'lll walk it back.
I'd gladly trust a shoei - I own one. I DO NOT like the design shaping lips it had conceptually - it catches on the ground - just something that makes sense to me
Arai - gladly wear one and trust it - they are stubborn for good reason and didn't cave to "market demand" of looks
Bell - gladly wear and trust it
Fox - gladly wear and trust it
TLD - gladly wear and trust it
F2 - my current helmet - have sadly tested it out a few times last few years. Gladly wear and trust it - IMHO challenged the market to offer premium helmets at low prices - and the market is doing that.
6d - gladly wear and trust it. I think is in the top heap of helmets - and for most people would reduce concussions in the type of crashes we have
Leatt - I love their outward looking in approach. Love the data the do publish. I have no experience with them - but off their history would gladly wear and trust it.
Astar - gladly wear and trust it - really like it's look.

I can't think of anything else off hand - but IM sure there are plenty that are sufficient. When you cut a helmet open - shy of 6D, flex, or new fly - they all really do the same things. Same foam - similar shells, etc. Cheap helmets - so long as the company is honest internally - are totally sufficient. maybe some are heavier - less quality liners - etc. From what i have learned - is the biggest difference is the shell. Cheaper helmets use a plastic shell - but the same foams. The shell has more flex - which looks bad in your hand - and weigh more. But under an impact they still do a good job

The carbons - allow thinner shells that weigh less but that are strong enough for the puncture./high impact tests.
That's really the "magic" of carbon

What I wanted to illustrate in this thread - is that FINALLY we have innovation coming to helmets. It's real - it's effective - and its GREAT for us consumers.

This helmet in 2-3 years will become the STANDARD for fly - and be offered at lower price points.

Thats true of all the manufacturers - pricing and quality/performance will improve. The concepts introduced by 6d, leatt, fly, bell - will be studied and improved on by other companies - making the market improve - the consumer be safer - and everyone happier.

I think shoei will HAVE To respond soon.
TLD innovated the forehead area - realizing in crash data many impacts came there.
MIPS was a great, simple, improvement for ALL helmets - and adopted by almost all

Im excited - Im happy for all the riding community - and that's my point.

Off the high horse - carry on.

The Shop

2/2/2019 12:47am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 12:50am
As a MechE, I have a decent nose for techno babble nonsense. I just watched the into vid twice. It looks like a lot of work went into the product, and there looks to be some genuine engineering innovation with it.

As for people doubting WPS has the resources to research and design something like this, you do not really know how R&D is done. Most companies, unless they are in the $1B+ sales range, do not have dedicated internal R&D Departments. They have an Engineering Product Manager, and often a lot of the R&D is done though outside consultancies under the management of the Eng PM . In fact, one of the participants in the video, Dr. Plant, does not work for WPS...he is an independent consultant, and was the developer of the viscoelastic material (RHEON).

You can read an interview with Dr. Plant here:
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/mechanical-engineering/people/meet-our-alumni…

It looks like WPS is just applying and furthering the research RHEON prior to their work with WPS. You can actually find a papers on similar helmet designs on the RHEON website, published in 2016....meaning the actual development went on in 2014-2015. The same test apparatus shown in the video is seen in this paper. In fact, all of the "techno lab" scenes in the video are probably from RHEON's lab/facility in the UK.

Here is a link to the paper. It focuses on mitigating angular accelerations which can cause concussions, just like perpendicular impacts.

https://rheonlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Ircobi_Helmets_RHEON-L…

Here is another one:

https://rheonlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Modeling-Helmets-RHEON…

So it may be that Fly is the first major company to take this research, and put it into a mainstream product.
motoman0
Fantasy
1153rd
2/2/2019 4:20am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 4:21am
500guy wrote:
I have a few non technical questions How does it feel , fitment weight etc? if you do have an impact do you replace the foam...
I have a few non technical questions

How does it feel , fitment weight etc? if you do have an impact do you replace the foam and inside or do you replace the helmet?
Had my hands on one yeasterday. Feels pretty good. The fit felt like it ran a tad small. Weight is spot on at 2.8lbs. Would buy in a heartbeat and I’m picky on helmets.
2/2/2019 5:25am
swtwtwtw wrote:
I like the look of the helmet, and the technology described. However, in my opinion and experience, just about any PROPER fitting helmet with a PROPER...
I like the look of the helmet, and the technology described. However, in my opinion and experience, just about any PROPER fitting helmet with a PROPER fitting mouthpiece is equal to the most high end , techno marvel of a helmet.

That said, this a big deal for FLY as it represents their entrance into the off the shelf, techno safety helmet market

Keep telling yourself that....
moto671z
2/2/2019 5:35am
10-15 years ago when Shoei and Arai were considered top of the line helmets they retailed for right around $500. Better technology 10 years later and the top of the line helmets are retailing ~650-700. I’m surprised they don’t cost more. At the end of the day, do your research, find some sales, and run the best gear you can afford.
drt410
2/2/2019 6:44am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 6:44am
I forget the name that europe uses but it allows the Airoh helmets to be like light as a feather. Does anyone know if this test is better/worse than what we need here? I do know snell is a waste because its tested against roll cages and doesnt apply to moto at all but dot is good.
IDMegaMoto
2/2/2019 11:58am
Show me the data. Test all the heavy hitters and show me the data.
I've seen some of it, vs every helmet sold today. They wont publish it - out of respect and core values to all other companies on...
I've seen some of it, vs every helmet sold today.

They wont publish it - out of respect and core values to all other companies on the market.

And for that reason I as well WONT comment on the surprise dud of the testing.

This helmet wasn't a quick 1 year project, it's been an ongoing desire from the staff to improve where they could - and they hired some really smart people to be involved. The video you say - with the "fake lab coats' aren't fake lab coats or people.

I WILL SAY - if I ride - i WILL be riding in one of these. If it wasnt this - it would be a 6d.

This helmet is an exact copy of the Leatt 5.5 helmet I bought 3 years ago...nothing new about the V-foam and Fly even copied Leatt down to the blue color of the energy gel bumpers. I bought the Leatt with this technology because they post the helmet tests on their website...nothing to hide.

https://www.leatt.com/product_uploads/ce_certificates/2018/Helmet%20GPX…
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
2/5/2019 2:51pm
Mid March
2/5/2019 4:33pm
DTR830 wrote:
Mid March
That's a bummer...I hate when new products are released and not available to buy within a couple weeks of the press release.
drt410
2/6/2019 5:57am
This is the greatest arms race between companies....ever. For once theyre competing for who benefits the riders the most, its great. 6d upped the bar, then fox w/ the magnetic visor, a few more were in there, now Fly taking the top step with the safest helmet ever. Now other companies will lose out if they dont equal or surpass them... the riders win bigggggg time here.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
2/6/2019 6:14am
Anyone know about shell sizes? Wondering if the med and large share the same shell?
2/6/2019 6:24am
TeamGreen wrote:
There are plenty of great helmets that bring awesome tech to MX racing. This offering from Fly is definitely among them. The latest from Shoei and...
There are plenty of great helmets that bring awesome tech to MX racing. This offering from Fly is definitely among them.

The latest from Shoei and Arai?
Well...uh...no.

As for the "paper bag" statement about the Leatt?
Is that implying that inexpensive helmets are junk?

How about this: go look up the test data on the TLD SE4 Polyacrylite helmet & get back to me...($150-279 @ https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/moto/helmets/helmets_se4_polyacrylite)
Listen here, "safety consultant", you go ahead and buy that piece of shit $179 helmet. I will buy something that is worth my head like a nice $700 6D or Shoei.

You're not protecting much anyways so i don't blame you for being a fucking idiot.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
2/6/2019 7:26am
This is great. I love safety innovation. I also really like the idea of integrating the best energy absorption technology into a less expensive shell for those who don't want to pay $600 every time they have a serious wreck.

It's funny how many people argue that a mid price helmet can't be as safe as a high-end one. I see guys all the time at the track with high-end Shoeis and 6Ds that are beat to hell. Even if it were true that price point was a direct indicator of safety, what good is it to buy a top of the line helmet on a 72 month loan? I don't agree with the "buy the most expensive helmet you can afford" motto because for most, this will make them really try to eek out every last bit of life from it.
PRM31
2/6/2019 7:51am
swtwtwtw wrote:
I like the look of the helmet, and the technology described. However, in my opinion and experience, just about any PROPER fitting helmet with a PROPER...

What exactly is your experience with helmets that leads you to believe this?

You’ve apparently been involved in controlled studies that included an entire range of helmets? Care to share results?
Jt$
2/6/2019 9:40am
Formula.flyracing.com
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
2/6/2019 9:46am
Jt$ wrote:
Formula.flyracing.com
Great job on the helmet JT and the crew.
WDSRCR
2/6/2019 9:52am
Jt$ wrote:
Formula.flyracing.com
I got mine Pre-Ordered today.

Thanks to #flyracing for their support and for producing a great product!

2/6/2019 10:16am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 11:37am
It's good to see other helmet manufacturers step it up. So far I'm convinced that 6D has the best technology, they have the only technology that actually reduces forces in all six axis. With the flex system the inner and outer eps can move a little, with fly the eps and a plastic liner do the same. That obviously helps as there is a little space where the rotational crashing energy gets reduced, but it's not damped like in the 6D. English is not my first language so it's hard to get this point across, but I hope this is understandable.
I don't want to say Flex and Mips is bad, it's really good actually- just not as good as the ODS technology from 6D. The Leatt *one is pretty similar to 6D but I'm not a fan of the big plastic vents.

The new fly helmet looks really suprising and what they said in the video makes a lot of sense. I don't quite understand how the rotational forces are reduced yet but I'm sure they'll release more info on this helmet.

On a side note, from my personal opinion it's still fishy that Fly releases no data. 6D has test data on their side, and it's the only side I know of- because I believe they are actually top of the line and have nothing to hide. If the Fly was that much better, why not release the data like 6D did? (Just showing other curves without saying which helmet it's actually from)

Anyway, I hope this innovation in safety gear keeps coming. Still waiting on that air bag vest from astars!
Bramlett321
2/6/2019 10:16am
TeamGreen wrote:
There are plenty of great helmets that bring awesome tech to MX racing. This offering from Fly is definitely among them. The latest from Shoei and...
There are plenty of great helmets that bring awesome tech to MX racing. This offering from Fly is definitely among them.

The latest from Shoei and Arai?
Well...uh...no.

As for the "paper bag" statement about the Leatt?
Is that implying that inexpensive helmets are junk?

How about this: go look up the test data on the TLD SE4 Polyacrylite helmet & get back to me...($150-279 @ https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/moto/helmets/helmets_se4_polyacrylite)
Listen here, "safety consultant", you go ahead and buy that piece of shit $179 helmet. I will buy something that is worth my head like a...
Listen here, "safety consultant", you go ahead and buy that piece of shit $179 helmet. I will buy something that is worth my head like a nice $700 6D or Shoei.

You're not protecting much anyways so i don't blame you for being a fucking idiot.
Wow that was way more than one word. Why be such a douchebag about it?
Doddy
2/6/2019 10:21am
When helmets have the same price tag as other top helmets, but are made in China........I find it hard to be interested.

I wish Shoei would step it up some, as it fits my melon the best.
2/6/2019 10:38am
seem like a really well made helmet, but is it actually ground breaking ? if i remember correct leatt has pretty much the same stuffs in there helmets ?
philG
2/6/2019 11:03am
All modern helmets are shit, because the peak position is so high, that you cant duck roost , at all , because the chin bar is on your chest way before you get the peak in front of your eye line. Totally useless , may as well not bother putting one on. I have 2 Fox helmets and they are both rubbish.

IMO the end of the peak needs to be level with the top edge of your goggles when your head is level.
PRM31
2/6/2019 11:18am
I wish I would have this in 1982 and again in 2009. Kudos to Fly for advancing the art and science of helmet design. Those of us getting older appreciate that.

Without actual data I certainly can’t comment on its capabilities. But nearly every design element is different so it certainly is not the same as what’s out there.

One design aspect I don’t understand is the visor. That is the same with most modern helmets. So many complain about vision, and then they design a visor, which used to be great at blocking roost, to now stick up out of the way. What’s the point of it? Just there for aesthetics now?
Jt$
2/6/2019 11:33am
It's good to see other helmet manufacturers step it up. So far I'm convinced that 6D has the best technology, they have the only technology that...
It's good to see other helmet manufacturers step it up. So far I'm convinced that 6D has the best technology, they have the only technology that actually reduces forces in all six axis. With the flex system the inner and outer eps can move a little, with fly the eps and a plastic liner do the same. That obviously helps as there is a little space where the rotational crashing energy gets reduced, but it's not damped like in the 6D. English is not my first language so it's hard to get this point across, but I hope this is understandable.
I don't want to say Flex and Mips is bad, it's really good actually- just not as good as the ODS technology from 6D. The Leatt *one is pretty similar to 6D but I'm not a fan of the big plastic vents.

The new fly helmet looks really suprising and what they said in the video makes a lot of sense. I don't quite understand how the rotational forces are reduced yet but I'm sure they'll release more info on this helmet.

On a side note, from my personal opinion it's still fishy that Fly releases no data. 6D has test data on their side, and it's the only side I know of- because I believe they are actually top of the line and have nothing to hide. If the Fly was that much better, why not release the data like 6D did? (Just showing other curves without saying which helmet it's actually from)

Anyway, I hope this innovation in safety gear keeps coming. Still waiting on that air bag vest from astars!
We showed the test data at the media launch and are working on getting this available to everyone.
Broughton859
2/6/2019 12:03pm
seem like a really well made helmet, but is it actually ground breaking ? if i remember correct leatt has pretty much the same stuffs in...
seem like a really well made helmet, but is it actually ground breaking ? if i remember correct leatt has pretty much the same stuffs in there helmets ?
It's the same color but it's different materials and design. The same with the shell and EPS as well. Visibly it looks similar but when you tear into it they are different.

Post a reply to: Helmet: It's a BIG deal

The Latest