Helmet: It's a BIG deal

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/1/2019 7:51am
mxb2 wrote:
Screw safety,. Better to.have a insider hookup. Sick
His insider hookup is how the man keeps a roof over his head. He doesnt have to say anything he doesnt want to.
mxb2
2/1/2019 7:54am
mxb2 wrote:
colintrax wrote:
His insider hookup is how the man keeps a roof over his head. He doesnt have to say anything he doesnt want to.
I get it, why post info on a bad helmet then.
2/1/2019 8:22am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 8:28am
https://youtu.be/MA1HyMnGOas

Leatt has been using very similar technology for awhile. Here is their newest helmet with technology at $179...
$179 dollars......... I'd rather put my head in a paper bag.
Well Johnny Walker, Mitchell Harrison, Cole Martinez are all rocking this paper bag on the big stage, so must mean something to them.

Theres also the $499 carbon version, but the common joe blow down the road that fires his bike up to wheelie around the backyard doesn't find that price point attractive. Same energy and rotational technology as a $500 helmet with a joe blow price point
2/1/2019 8:26am
drt410 wrote:
Thats unfortunate that a lot of people could be risking serious injury by buying the “dud” and never know.
T-Fish wrote:
But then he wouldn’t have inside info. I’d hate to have that happen.
mxb2 wrote:
Is it arai? still running the snell approval as far as i know

The Shop

mxb2
2/1/2019 8:37am
T-Fish wrote:
But then he wouldn’t have inside info. I’d hate to have that happen.
mxb2 wrote:
Is it arai? still running the snell approval as far as i know
Who knows, its a secret lol.
500guy
2/1/2019 8:59am
I have a few non technical questions

How does it feel , fitment weight etc? if you do have an impact do you replace the foam and inside or do you replace the helmet?
TeamGreen
2/1/2019 9:16am
There are plenty of great helmets that bring awesome tech to MX racing. This offering from Fly is definitely among them.

The latest from Shoei and Arai?
Well...uh...no.

As for the "paper bag" statement about the Leatt?
Is that implying that inexpensive helmets are junk?

How about this: go look up the test data on the TLD SE4 Polyacrylite helmet & get back to me...($150-279 @ https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/moto/helmets/helmets_se4_polyacrylite)
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
2/1/2019 9:24am
That's spendy for a helmet. With that said you can't technically put a price on your safety, but I ain't spending over $400.

Does anyone else get the feeling of the Motocross apparel industry getting too saturated again? Because this happened before and its imminent it will happen again with companies closing the doors.
racerx217
2/1/2019 9:24am
Mx746 wrote:
We should make a go fund me to send off the 5 best helmets, plus a $100 polycarb helmet to Act Labs to get the data...
We should make a go fund me to send off the 5 best helmets, plus a $100 polycarb helmet to Act Labs to get the data for ourselves.
I am down, show us the data!
2/1/2019 9:34am
Mx746 wrote:
We should make a go fund me to send off the 5 best helmets, plus a $100 polycarb helmet to Act Labs to get the data...
We should make a go fund me to send off the 5 best helmets, plus a $100 polycarb helmet to Act Labs to get the data for ourselves.
racerx217 wrote:
I would throw down too. This would be very interesting if you could pull it off...no marketing BS, just the results. You would need to find out how much Act Labs charges on top of the price fo the helmets. Let us know and if it's not outrageous I'm sure you can get everyone to chip in $20 to find out what will be their next helmet. Might even get someone like RMATV to give you discounted helmets for the purpose of getting them tested, and they use the test data to put together a youtube video.
Markopolo400
2/1/2019 9:52am
Lol lets keep secrets about testing helmets out of respect for competitors...Riigghhttt

So WPS obviously doesn't have a team of engineers and a lab to create this helmet, and apparently it was developed by world leading scientists...Who are they and what are their credentials?

I will stick with my Arai helmets too.
STLSharky
2/1/2019 9:57am
Mx746 wrote:
racerx217 wrote:
I would throw down too. This would be very interesting if you could pull it off...no marketing BS, just the results. You would need to find...
I would throw down too. This would be very interesting if you could pull it off...no marketing BS, just the results. You would need to find out how much Act Labs charges on top of the price fo the helmets. Let us know and if it's not outrageous I'm sure you can get everyone to chip in $20 to find out what will be their next helmet. Might even get someone like RMATV to give you discounted helmets for the purpose of getting them tested, and they use the test data to put together a youtube video.
I'll throw a hundy or so
2/1/2019 10:15am
GPrider wrote:
It would be interesting to know what information was learned from Westons accident. Is there room for improvement? Did it beat expectations? Fly could turn that...
It would be interesting to know what information was learned from Westons accident. Is there room for improvement? Did it beat expectations? Fly could turn that negative into a positive going forward from a real world accident. I think its a move in the right direction.
No helmet would have worked for weston. Helmets aren't designed and cant' be designed to take the impact of a 230 lb bike and 150 lb...
No helmet would have worked for weston.

Helmets aren't designed and cant' be designed to take the impact of a 230 lb bike and 150 lb rider falling at speed from a height - at least not if they will do anything to save your head in a normal type crash.

Weston didn't suffer a concussion....but the impact force crushed his face.

Basic physics apply to all helmet technology. It's why it's a hard segment to improve on. If we had no OTHER requirements - helmets need to be 5 feet around....and a softer foam. But we DO have other requirements.
After my last major concussion in a cheap Bell helmet I spent several months doing as much research as I could and it lead me to the conclusion that the 6D was the safest helmet at the time. Several other "premier" helmets have been launched since with pretty much zero emphasis on safety until this one.

At this point my 6D hasn't hit the dirt yet so I see no need to replace it but I do like that Fly is focused on safety.

My best option is to try and win one from PulpMX. Its pretty unfortunate that they spend all this money developing a product and don't have the balls to blow out the competition. If MIPS/6D/ASTAR/whatever sucks then let us know.
2/1/2019 11:45am
Act Labs does DOT testing and they are located in Long Beach, CA. Each test requires (5) helmets of the same shell size, so that would mean we would need to fund 25 helmets if we wanted to pick the top 5 brands. And, it's $1100 to test each set of (5) helmets, so it's not going to happen....

Too bad because I think a non-biased helmet test would be a pretty popular article/video and might drive a lot of traffic to the site for the next few years. You build a funnel so that every time someone googles "what is the safest motorcycle helmet," it provides the link to the vital helmet test.... Smile
2/1/2019 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 12:09pm
https://youtu.be/MA1HyMnGOas

Leatt has been using very similar technology for awhile. Here is their newest helmet with technology at $179...
This douche nozzle thinks the price point reflects how safe it is? got it.....
Any idiot that thinks a piece of shit $179 dollar helmet matches up to any top tier helmet is completely delusional. Otherwise this helmet would fly off the shelves.

NEWS FLASH: No one buys this garbage. In fact, i think people that use this helmet are complete goons. Unless you're getting paid to wear it i guarantee no one would use it.

How tf can you say that price point doesn't have any effect on safety? Are you that dense? No shit you got all riled up about it. You probably own this helmet! Hahahahahaha.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
2/1/2019 12:19pm
Any idiot that thinks a piece of shit $179 dollar helmet matches up to any top tier helmet is completely delusional. Otherwise this helmet would fly...
Any idiot that thinks a piece of shit $179 dollar helmet matches up to any top tier helmet is completely delusional. Otherwise this helmet would fly off the shelves.

NEWS FLASH: No one buys this garbage. In fact, i think people that use this helmet are complete goons. Unless you're getting paid to wear it i guarantee no one would use it.

How tf can you say that price point doesn't have any effect on safety? Are you that dense? No shit you got all riled up about it. You probably own this helmet! Hahahahahaha.
That's a lot of words coming from you.
Moto520
2/1/2019 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 12:31pm
I have a weird helmet thing going on where I've been decorating my office with helmets for some stupid reason (company pays for them as decorations). I have and have used within the last 6 months: Bell Flex, TLD SE4, Arai, New 6D, Fox V3 and V4. I'm not a fan of the Arai. There's not enough width with the inner foam. Big fan of the TLD SE4.

Moto-520 Esq

Moto520
2/1/2019 12:29pm
If the safety information is not available to the public....then we will have to share our experiences and come up with our own safety standard.
mxr746
2/1/2019 1:01pm
Act Labs does DOT testing and they are located in Long Beach, CA. Each test requires (5) helmets of the same shell size, so that would...
Act Labs does DOT testing and they are located in Long Beach, CA. Each test requires (5) helmets of the same shell size, so that would mean we would need to fund 25 helmets if we wanted to pick the top 5 brands. And, it's $1100 to test each set of (5) helmets, so it's not going to happen....

Too bad because I think a non-biased helmet test would be a pretty popular article/video and might drive a lot of traffic to the site for the next few years. You build a funnel so that every time someone googles "what is the safest motorcycle helmet," it provides the link to the vital helmet test.... Smile
Add to this we would necessarily like to test helmets from various price points to get an idea of performance across the range of eps configurations and shell materials. We know from previous testing that variable density eps generally tests better, as does certain softer shell materials like polycarbonate, but, the softer shells are less able to handle the second impact than the stiffer shells etc I personally don’t wear a polycarbonate shell because any crash has multiple impact potential.
hotlasagna
Fantasy
2464th
2/1/2019 1:29pm
Any idiot that thinks a piece of shit $179 dollar helmet matches up to any top tier helmet is completely delusional. Otherwise this helmet would fly...

well it just launched a month ago... maybe its selling well?
4csHATER
2/1/2019 1:37pm
I would donate 500$ or more to the 25 helmet test if i could get one of them back that wasnt destroyed at the end along with all the data in paper, or a trip to see all of the testing happen.
TeamGreen
2/1/2019 1:37pm

hotlasagna wrote:
well it just launched a month ago... maybe its selling well?
Not only is that "OneWord" dude a liar ('cause, he doesn't know how to post a 1 word response)...
But, he's certainly not a Safety Consultant nor is he a design engineer.

In short, "Idiot".
(aka, that's my 1 word response to his angry assed ignorance)
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
2/1/2019 1:40pm
4csHATER wrote:
I would donate 500$ or more to the 25 helmet test if i could get one of them back that wasnt destroyed at the end along...
I would donate 500$ or more to the 25 helmet test if i could get one of them back that wasnt destroyed at the end along with all the data in paper, or a trip to see all of the testing happen.
How would you trust to wear a helmet that went through all the testing.?

2/1/2019 1:44pm
4csHATER wrote:
I would donate 500$ or more to the 25 helmet test if i could get one of them back that wasnt destroyed at the end along...
DTR830 wrote:

I think he just means he would want one of the damaged helmets to put on the shelf. And yes, they would provide all the test data.
captmoto
2/1/2019 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 3:08pm
I wonder how many people that bitch about the cost of a helmet will powder coat their spoke nipples and put a bunch of shiny anodized parts and graphics on their bikes that offer no performance or safety upgrades to their bikes.
4csHATER
2/1/2019 3:12pm
DTR830 wrote:

ole dude below you has the right idea, i just one thats damaaged but in good condition, would be cool for my shop and if i invested that much i would feel like its fair, hell no im not wearing that busted ass lid, Dad come on.
mxb2
2/1/2019 3:18pm
captmoto wrote:
I wonder how many people that bitch about the cost of a helmet will powder coat their spoke nipples and put a bunch of shiny anodized...
I wonder how many people that bitch about the cost of a helmet will powder coat their spoke nipples and put a bunch of shiny anodized parts and graphics on their bikes that offer no performance or safety upgrades to their bikes.
Same people who complain about the nbc gold package, sx ticket prices.
STLSharky
2/1/2019 3:51pm

Zero proof your right, never has been proven and never will be.
JM485
2/1/2019 4:48pm
Act Labs does DOT testing and they are located in Long Beach, CA. Each test requires (5) helmets of the same shell size, so that would...

I wouldn't throw that idea out the window just yet, crowd funding is pretty amazing and I don't think raising the money is out of the question. All it would take is a few well known riders or industry people (hey Vital IG I'm looking at you) to make people across the country aware of the study, and I bet you would easily get enough donations. I'd also be willing to bet a few manufacturers would put some helmets up to prove that theirs is top of the line, so the product cost may not be so substantial.

The fact that this information is already know but is unpublished is so fucking rediculous to me I can't even fathom it. We humans really have an incredible knack for holding ourselves back and impeding progress. Consider that one design is proven to be more effective, then inventors and even existing companies can start with that design as a base and attempt to improve upon it, rather than just having this wild goose chase with everyone guessing what the most effective system is. It's insanity, and honestly it makes me a little bit sick that people know this information but won't release it.

Post a reply to: Helmet: It's a BIG deal

The Latest