Helmet Cam Restrictions Dropped for 2019 MX Nationals

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
2019 Helmet Camera Policy

RE: COMPETITION BULLETIN 2019-6: 2019 Helmet Camera Policy

Current AMA Pro Racing “Rules for Professional Motocross Competition” item 2.11 (e), establishes restrictions on the use of “any on-board or helmet mounted video recording device or its likeness while operating a vehicle on the race course, except upon approval by MX Sports Pro Racing.” These restrictions were necessary to protect the exclusive broadcast rights of applicable series partners and limited the use of helmet cameras to specific brands.

Although the broadcast rights for all “on-track” images or video content originating from National events are wholly owned by MX Sports and it broadcast partners, both MX Sports and its partners value the social media voice and promotional contribution of its riders in the support of themselves and of the Series. Accordingly, effective with the 2019 Series, helmet camera brand restrictions have been dropped, and AMA Pro licensed riders with approved helmet cameras may have unlimited use of all video content for internal engineering and rider support purposes, and limited use of “on-track” video content for public distribution, in accordance with the following provisions:

1. On-Track/Race Footage Use: Rider use of on-track or race footage for internal engineering, mechanical or rider development purposes is unlimited. Rider use of on-track or race footage for public viewing or distribution is limited to the social media platforms of the rider and registered Premier/Feature Teams only (i.e., Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter).

2. Clip Requirements: Helmet camera footage posted on the rider’s social media is restricted to clips no longer than sixty (60) seconds in length each, not to exceed two (2) minutes in the aggregate, per event. All published clips must be tagged with and include the Series social media handles: @ProMotocross, #ProMotocross, #ThisIsMoto

3. No Commercial Use: No helmet camera footage may be sold or used for commercial purposes of any kind without the express written approval of MX Sports Pro Racing. Helmet camera clips are not approved for primary sponsor posting or professional commercial use.

4. Footage Rights: All helmet camera footage originating from a National event is the exclusive property of MX Sports Pro Racing, and approval may be withdrawn at any time for any or no reason. Riders give MX Sports Pro Racing and its broadcast partners unlimited access to any and all such footage for any purpose upon request.

5. Appropriate Use: Use of recorded images or video originating from any National event, in any type broadcast or social media format, will be subject to the Rules for Professional Motocross Competition which prohibits athletes from engaging in any act or action deemed detrimental to the series and/or the sport of motorcycle racing. Riders are required to adhere to social media publication standards. Post responsibly.

6. Approval Required: Riders must submit a completed Helmet Camera Application, available at Technical Inspection, agreeing the terms set forth above. Approval must be given prior to the distribution of publication of any helmet camera footage.

The Helmet Camera approval process will be as follows:

1. The rider or his mechanic will present the helmet with camera mounted to officials at Technical Inspection, with the completed Helmet Camera

2. Application (available online and at Tech);
Cameras must be mounted in a way that does not compromise the structural integrity or function of the helmet, and athletes assume full responsibility for the mounting of the helmet and the decision to utilize a helmet camera;

3. Cameras will be marked to verify authorization of use and acceptance of use terms. Only those cameras approved in advance will be allowed.

It is the goal and intent of this new policy to provide Lucas Oil Pro Motocross athletes direct access to their own helmet camera footage to use not only for internal mechanical and rider support, but for external public viewing by race fans, sponsors and media to promote the rider specifically and the Series in general. MX Sport Pro Racing encourages all riders to participate in this new program to enhance the social image of both the rider and the Series.
|
acres951
4/18/2019 2:39pm
This is awesome, helmet cam footage from the nationals is great to watch, hopefully this means lots more of it.

Thanks for sharing
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/18/2019 2:47pm
acres951 wrote:
This is awesome, helmet cam footage from the nationals is great to watch, hopefully this means lots more of it.

Thanks for sharing
Unless they’re being paid to, you won’t see too much still. Most guys still don’t like racing with them weight wise and unless they’re contracted or it’s a privateer wanting to share some clips, you won’t see a big influx of it.

But still, I’m stoked to see the restrictions lifted.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
4/18/2019 2:52pm
Max of 1 minute. Yawn.
Someone has got to put out 35 one minute videos, then let the internet stitch them together.
DC
4/18/2019 3:03pm
Max of 1 minute. Yawn. Someone has got to put out 35 one minute videos, then let the internet stitch them together.
Max of 1 minute. Yawn.
Someone has got to put out 35 one minute videos, then let the internet stitch them together.
With permission from NBC, they can, and I'm sure that will happen...

DC
Racer X

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/18/2019 3:14pm
Max of 1 minute. Yawn. Someone has got to put out 35 one minute videos, then let the internet stitch them together.
Max of 1 minute. Yawn.
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
So, NBC owns video that was taken on someone's personal GoPro, Fly360 or Garmin?
DC
4/18/2019 3:21pm
Max of 1 minute. Yawn.
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
mattyhamz2 wrote:
So, NBC owns video that was taken on someone's personal GoPro, Fly360 or Garmin?
NBC owns the exclusive broadcasting rights to the entire event, including the POV cameras they allow people to wear during the race. It's no different than supercross or any other professional racing series I can think of. And they cooperate well with the riders in featuring the footage on the shows or online, and also allowing the athletes and teams to use it as well.

DC
Racer X
BMc914
4/18/2019 3:25pm
What is the penalty if they don't give up the video footage?

It seems more like NBC wants/needs more footage so they are gonna let this happen and then confiscate it all for they own use.
DC
4/18/2019 3:38pm
BMc914 wrote:
What is the penalty if they don't give up the video footage? It seems more like NBC wants/needs more footage so they are gonna let this...

It seems more like NBC wants/needs more footage so they are gonna let this happen and then confiscate it all for they own use.
If you don't want to cooperate with the people who own the broadcast rights, don't wear a camera in the race. They are allowing it in the hopes of sharing it, not confiscating it. There are plenty of riders they already work with--that's why you see the footage now--so I'm not sure why you guys see this relaxing of the rules as something nefarious...

DC
Racer X
BMc914
4/18/2019 3:46pm
Lets say they have the footage from practice weeding themselfs and don't want give it up for people to see. What is the penalty? DQ from the event? From the series? Positions? Points? No longer allowed to run the camera?
4/18/2019 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 3:50pm
Back in the JS7 days, GoPro used to upload entire 30+2 motos. I pop one on every time i do a rowing session at home. I really hope riders/ promotors/ gopro or whatever camera company decide to do this again. I enjoy watching them sometimes moreso than a replay of the TV broadcast. As riders ourselves, i think we all can relate better to helmet camera videos. Also, what happened to live helmet camera footage during the races?

https://youtu.be/QY_tu4dKWNU
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
4/18/2019 3:51pm
BMc914 wrote:
What is the penalty if they don't give up the video footage? It seems more like NBC wants/needs more footage so they are gonna let this...

DC wrote:
If you don't want to cooperate with the people who own the broadcast rights, don't wear a camera in the race. They are allowing it in...
If you don't want to cooperate with the people who own the broadcast rights, don't wear a camera in the race. They are allowing it in the hopes of sharing it, not confiscating it. There are plenty of riders they already work with--that's why you see the footage now--so I'm not sure why you guys see this relaxing of the rules as something nefarious...

DC
Racer X
Not nefarious, just frustrating that if some privateer wanted to post up the entire moto for a bunch of moto-heads to watch, they aren't allowed to. That video being taken on private property, with the rider's own video equipment, which is on top of their helmet, moved by their bike, etc, etc...

That said, progress is good, and if NBC is going to give Johnny Roostalot permission to post his AMA National videos so all the world can revel in his not quite making the main gate drop, then I'm all for it. Seems like riders like DW15 could increase the appeal of NBC's series with his Social Media appeal, and they should encourage it!
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/18/2019 4:11pm
BMc914 wrote:

DC wrote:
If you don't want to cooperate with the people who own the broadcast rights, don't wear a camera in the race. They are allowing it in...

DC
Racer X
Not nefarious, just frustrating that if some privateer wanted to post up the entire moto for a bunch of moto-heads to watch, they aren't allowed to...
Not nefarious, just frustrating that if some privateer wanted to post up the entire moto for a bunch of moto-heads to watch, they aren't allowed to. That video being taken on private property, with the rider's own video equipment, which is on top of their helmet, moved by their bike, etc, etc...

That said, progress is good, and if NBC is going to give Johnny Roostalot permission to post his AMA National videos so all the world can revel in his not quite making the main gate drop, then I'm all for it. Seems like riders like DW15 could increase the appeal of NBC's series with his Social Media appeal, and they should encourage it!
NBC pays good money and spends a lot of money to host our races on their network, and part of that deal is they own the rights to footage of the races. It's business. In Dean's case, his footage his handed back to GoPro per his contract and what happens to that race footage would then be between himself, GoPro, and NBC...not just Deano.
DC
4/18/2019 4:48pm
BMc914 wrote:
Lets say they have the footage from practice weeding themselfs and don't want give it up for people to see. What is the penalty? DQ from...
Lets say they have the footage from practice weeding themselfs and don't want give it up for people to see. What is the penalty? DQ from the event? From the series? Positions? Points? No longer allowed to run the camera?
I don't think anyone is going to take someone's footage when they weed themselves and don't want to share it... But then they can't share it either, I would think. The hope is the riders will share cool videos of their racing, and get to use them on their own social media, and work together with the network in a rapidly changing media landscape.

DC
Racer X
DC
4/18/2019 4:50pm
Back in the JS7 days, GoPro used to upload entire 30+2 motos. I pop one on every time i do a rowing session at home. I...
Back in the JS7 days, GoPro used to upload entire 30+2 motos. I pop one on every time i do a rowing session at home. I really hope riders/ promotors/ gopro or whatever camera company decide to do this again. I enjoy watching them sometimes moreso than a replay of the TV broadcast. As riders ourselves, i think we all can relate better to helmet camera videos. Also, what happened to live helmet camera footage during the races?

If the rider asks permission, I imagine this kind of extended video would be fine. My favorite POV view of all time if Darryn Durham and Nico Izzi battling on the first lap at High Point one year and having a blast just racing dirt bikes together...

DC
Racer X
DC
4/18/2019 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 4:55pm
BMc914 wrote:

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Not nefarious, just frustrating that if some privateer wanted to post up the entire moto for a bunch of moto-heads to watch, they aren't allowed to...

Nefarious probably not the best word, but that private property you mention belongs to the promoters, not the rider, and the ability to broadcast images belongs to the network, which can allow or disallow a rider's own video equipment. These things are clearly stated when a rider gets a pro license. They are doing a good thing here in relaxing the restrictions, for both privateers and factory riders and promoters. Let's not get into the weeds of going over-the-top with broadcast rights and personal property and video exclusivity because you might not like the answers there...

DC
Racer X
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
4/18/2019 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 4:57pm
Back in the JS7 days, GoPro used to upload entire 30+2 motos. I pop one on every time i do a rowing session at home. I...

DC wrote:
If the rider asks permission, I imagine this kind of extended video would be fine. My favorite POV view of all time if Darryn Durham and...
If the rider asks permission, I imagine this kind of extended video would be fine. My favorite POV view of all time if Darryn Durham and Nico Izzi battling on the first lap at High Point one year and having a blast just racing dirt bikes together...

DC
Racer X
DC
4/18/2019 5:01pm

DC wrote:
If the rider asks permission, I imagine this kind of extended video would be fine. My favorite POV view of all time if Darryn Durham and...

DC
Racer X
RichieW13 wrote:
Bingo! And I just watched it again with your link. So many cool moments in that single lap! Very cool and what I think we're all going to get more of now...

DC
Racer X
RexEasely
4/18/2019 5:12pm

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Oh yeah that's a good one!
BMc914
4/18/2019 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 11:19pm
If there are rules and regulations that have to be followed by the riders why don't they also put the penalties for not following the rules and regulations for the riders. So all riders no matter their status are penalized the same.

The have been multiple time is SX this year rules were broke and no one knew the penalties except Gallagher. Which seems like he makes up depending if they are factory or privateer or if he likes the dude.

acres951
4/18/2019 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 5:48pm
The RV GoPro vids are go-to’s for me, as are some of Stewart’s. Seems so easy to those guys.

I like to think watching them over the winter will make me faster...fingers crossed! jk
MOTO732
4/18/2019 5:49pm
Riders take 100% of the risk. And there is massive risk every time they race. To not allow the racers to video themselves and share it is beyond fkng stupid. Riders need a fair and equitable union to simply represent them. Nobody gets rich off riders video. It grows the sport.
JM485
4/18/2019 5:51pm
Definitely a step in the right direction, maybe not perfect but definitely a start and that should be recognized. Can’t wait to see some footage, hopefully some leniency can be shown if riders wanted to post full moto videos to their YouTube channels like in the old days.
kb228
4/18/2019 7:37pm
ac, deano, forkner, craig, jeff walker etc will make vlogs from this content. Will be sweet.
just James
4/18/2019 7:51pm
You could give some Vitards a suitcase full of money, and they would complain about the color of the suitcase.
chewy4063
4/18/2019 8:09pm
MOTO732 wrote:
Riders take 100% of the risk. And there is massive risk every time they race. To not allow the racers to video themselves and share it...
Riders take 100% of the risk. And there is massive risk every time they race. To not allow the racers to video themselves and share it is beyond fkng stupid. Riders need a fair and equitable union to simply represent them. Nobody gets rich off riders video. It grows the sport.
Ummm NBC said they are ALLOWED to video, so what’s your problem with it now? Just like every other sporting event, tv show, movie etc. There are rights owned and that’s not by the players, riders or actors. Never will be.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/18/2019 10:59pm
Max of 1 minute. Yawn.
Most racing helmet cam videos are good for the first lap or two...if that. After that, there’s generally too much roost on the lens. They need to start making teeny-tiny tear-offs.
500guy
4/19/2019 6:22am
I guess since it so much trouble they should just ban helmet cams again.

Holy shit there are some cry baby bitches in here.
cameron96
4/19/2019 6:28am
This is cool! I recall the Reed and 360 fly controversy a few years back..
skypig
4/19/2019 7:10am
In Nannas Australia.
Helmet cams are banned on “safety grounds” at every event - even practice days at the local track.
Pathetic.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/19/2019 7:33am
kb228 wrote:
ac, deano, forkner, craig, jeff walker etc will make vlogs from this content. Will be sweet.
Craig won’t race with one, we had this conversation the other day ha.

Post a reply to: Helmet Cam Restrictions Dropped for 2019 MX Nationals

The Latest