Helmet Advice Needed

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2021 10:18 PM

As I start to ride better, faster, and more aggressively, I am running into a strange helmet fit issue. I currently wear a Shoei VFX-W. When I am riding hard in a standing aggressive position (think jockey position...head low over the bars....back flat) and I try to look ahead, my helmet is pushed forward, and the eyeport edges then push down on my goggles, which push down on my nose. It is VERY disconcerting and makes it hard to look ahead. I am not even using a neck brace - maybe I have some weird neck/shoulder anatomy....

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Which helmets have a higher rear edge or higher eyeport location that do not result in the helmet getting pushed forward into your goggles when you really bend your neck back to look ahead?

Thanks in advance...

|

1/18/2021 12:35 AM

I started a thread about this a long time ago, I tried to look it up but couldn’t find it. I had the same problem with the same helmet. I found a pair of Scott goggles that were shorter (narrower) from the top of the goggle to the top of the nose, those helped a little. Youth goggles work too but you need to stretch the strap pretty good. Visually Fly helmets look like they have a bigger eye port, but the fit on my head wasn’t as comfortable as the 6D I wound up getting. I still need to find smaller framed goggles with the 6D. When you go to get a new helmet by the goggles you like first, then wear them when your trying helmets. I heard of a guy who puts a folded up dish towel in his helmet to make it if ride higher on his head, but that doesn’t seem like s good idea me lol That’s all I got. Good luck

|

1/18/2021 12:44 AM

sumdood wrote:

I started a thread about this a long time ago, I tried to look it up but couldn’t find it. I had the same problem with the same helmet. I found a pair of Scott goggles that were shorter (narrower) from the top of the goggle to the top of the nose, those helped a little. Youth goggles work too but you need to stretch the strap pretty good. Visually Fly helmets look like they have a bigger eye port, but the fit on my head wasn’t as comfortable as the 6D I wound up getting. I still need to find smaller framed goggles with the 6D. When you go to get a new helmet by the goggles you like first, then wear them when your trying helmets. I heard of a guy who puts a folded up dish towel in his helmet to make it if ride higher on his head, but that doesn’t seem like s good idea me lol That’s all I got. Good luck

https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Helmet-goggle-opening-size,1353122

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/18/2021 12:56 AM

What size helmet do you wear? I’ve always struggled with fit as depending on the brand A medium is too tight but the large is too big. The large would feel snug enough in the shop but would ride down like your describing. I’m now running a large fly formula with a medium head liner which seems to be working out better for me. Maybe try the smaller head liner first before splashing out on a new lid?

|

1/18/2021 11:46 AM

Thanks for the input guys. At least I know I am not the only one with this issue. I currently use 100% goggles. I think trying on helmets with goggles is the answer... trial and error.

|

1/18/2021 11:49 AM

Looking at sumdood's other thread, it looks like 100% goggle may be part of the issue. I have some old Scott goggle, so I will try those again and see if they are better.

|

1/18/2021 11:55 AM

IMO your helmet is to large. I've never wore a Shoei but with my Bell helmets once they're on they don't move at all. They're also pretty tight in the cheek pads.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

1/18/2021 12:31 PM

If your helmet is moving on your head simply because of your body position, it is too large. Perhaps two sizes too large. That thing should not move on a train, in the rain, falling from a plane, or while eating grains, Dr. Seuss. It should be an extension of your head. If I grab your mouthpiece and move it around, it should flex, stretch and wrinkle your skin but not rotate on your skull at all. Is the helmet contacting the back of your neck or your upper back, or something?

If it is not moving but you are having trouble seeing down the track while looking forward, try moving your visor upward.

Aerodynamics don't often come into play in motocross, but if the wind is doing it, maybe you need a different brand. (I doubt that, but then again I've never worn a VFX.)

Ultimately, the helmet should not change position on your head for any reason.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/18/2021 12:40 PM

Could be your helmet is too large. How old is it? The VFX-W hasn't been in production for several years.

One thought is that the padding could be too worn in. I tend to sweat a lot on my head and I used to have this same problem too. After a year or so in the same liner the padding would break down and the helmet would fit me different. Happened to me in a Shoei and a 6D. I've made it a habit to change out my helmet padding before they get too worn in and it's never been an issue since.

Shoei still sells VFX-W replacement padding... https://www.store.shoei-helmets.com/parts-by-helmet-model/off-road-helmets/vfx-w/vfx-w-interior.html

|

1/18/2021 1:34 PM

I have a 6d helmet and the cheaper 100% goggles push down on my nose pretty hard and it gets to be uncomfortable after a while. I don't have that issue with my Oakley airbrakes, so it might just be your goggles.

|

1/18/2021 1:45 PM

Alpinestars m8 and m10 have an adjustable top liner so you can adjust the helmet angle and height on your head.

|

1/18/2021 4:13 PM

c0ncEpT wrote:

IMO your helmet is to large. I've never wore a Shoei but with my Bell helmets once they're on they don't move at all. They're also pretty tight in the cheek pads.

I can literally not fit a small on my head. I wear a medium. It fits very snug. That is not the issue.

|

1/18/2021 4:14 PM

MelonFan123 wrote:

Could be your helmet is too large. How old is it? The VFX-W hasn't been in production for several years.

One thought is that the padding could be too worn in. I tend to sweat a lot on my head and I used to have this same problem too. After a year or so in the same liner the padding would break down and the helmet would fit me different. Happened to me in a Shoei and a 6D. I've made it a habit to change out my helmet padding before they get too worn in and it's never been an issue since.

Shoei still sells VFX-W replacement padding... https://www.store.shoei-helmets.com/parts-by-helmet-model/off-road-helmets/vfx-w/vfx-w-interior.html

This is a good point....the liner/padding could be worn out.

|

1/18/2021 4:17 PM

Falcon wrote:

If your helmet is moving on your head simply because of your body position, it is too large. Perhaps two sizes too large. That thing should not move on a train, in the rain, falling from a plane, or while eating grains, Dr. Seuss. It should be an extension of your head. If I grab your mouthpiece and move it around, it should flex, stretch and wrinkle your skin but not rotate on your skull at all. Is the helmet contacting the back of your neck or your upper back, or something?

If it is not moving but you are having trouble seeing down the track while looking forward, try moving your visor upward.

Aerodynamics don't often come into play in motocross, but if the wind is doing it, maybe you need a different brand. (I doubt that, but then again I've never worn a VFX.)

Ultimately, the helmet should not change position on your head for any reason.

Yes...the helmet contacts the back of my neck. Bent over so you spine is truly horizontal....no try to look up. Your neck is actually pretty bent. The helmet hits your spine in the back. That smushes the helmet forward on your head. If the eyeport and goggle are a tight fit...you then have the goggle pushing down our your nose.

|

1/18/2021 4:54 PM

Seems like the helmet fit is not right. Maybe another brand would fit better. It should not really be able to move around much. 100% goggles are pretty big also. Try something slimmer for more room perhaps. Also try raising the visor so you don’t have to tilt your head back as much.

|

1/18/2021 6:00 PM

Falcon wrote:

If your helmet is moving on your head simply because of your body position, it is too large. Perhaps two sizes too large. That thing should not move on a train, in the rain, falling from a plane, or while eating grains, Dr. Seuss. It should be an extension of your head. If I grab your mouthpiece and move it around, it should flex, stretch and wrinkle your skin but not rotate on your skull at all. Is the helmet contacting the back of your neck or your upper back, or something?

If it is not moving but you are having trouble seeing down the track while looking forward, try moving your visor upward.

Aerodynamics don't often come into play in motocross, but if the wind is doing it, maybe you need a different brand. (I doubt that, but then again I've never worn a VFX.)

Ultimately, the helmet should not change position on your head for any reason.

StartedTooLate wrote:

Yes...the helmet contacts the back of my neck. Bent over so you spine is truly horizontal....no try to look up. Your neck is actually pretty bent. The helmet hits your spine in the back. That smushes the helmet forward on your head. If the eyeport and goggle are a tight fit...you then have the goggle pushing down our your nose.

Then I think it may be the shape of the helmet. VFX models have that flat piece in the back which is supposed to articulate with neck braces; maybe that is what's causing the problem.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/18/2021 6:36 PM

Thanks again everyone. I will be in SoCal later this week, so that will be chance to go a shop with lots of helmets and try some on.

|