Heavy Guys on WP AER 48

TJMX947
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 4:52pm
Getting my suspension set up soon on my 2017 KTM 350SXF. Looking to see what other heavy guys have done to their AER forks (250lb+ folks). I've been talking to a lot of places and everyone has a different theory on the direction I should go but real world riding trumps theory ten fold.

Anyone used Race Tech Gold Valves and left the air spring? I emailed Chris from RT yesterday and he was super helpful and only one of a handful of folks who said you may not want to do a spring conversion, atleast not at first.

There is a guy in Ohio who does the SSS internals swap, the price is right and until I spoke with Chris I was pretty much dead set on that.

Not getting Cone Valves because I want to stay married, but if I came across a good deal on the inserts I would consider living in the dog house. Lol. Any real world experience and suggestions are welcome, thanks!

|
4One7
Fantasy
2611th
6/12/2018 5:18am
TJMX947 wrote:
Getting my suspension set up soon on my 2017 KTM 350SXF. Looking to see what other heavy guys have done to their AER forks (250lb+ folks)...
Getting my suspension set up soon on my 2017 KTM 350SXF. Looking to see what other heavy guys have done to their AER forks (250lb+ folks). I've been talking to a lot of places and everyone has a different theory on the direction I should go but real world riding trumps theory ten fold.

Anyone used Race Tech Gold Valves and left the air spring? I emailed Chris from RT yesterday and he was super helpful and only one of a handful of folks who said you may not want to do a spring conversion, atleast not at first.

There is a guy in Ohio who does the SSS internals swap, the price is right and until I spoke with Chris I was pretty much dead set on that.

Not getting Cone Valves because I want to stay married, but if I came across a good deal on the inserts I would consider living in the dog house. Lol. Any real world experience and suggestions are welcome, thanks!

I haven't personally rode an AER to SSS conversion but Cal at FTI in Thomasville has done SSS conversions and I've herd people say they were more than satisfied. Rider is around the 260-270lbs on a 450sxf.

I have rode an AER on a 150sx that was re valved by FTI and it was by far the best air fork I have ridden. With that said I'm 195 LB's.
BIG E
6/12/2018 5:56am
I’m at the 300lb range and had factory connection do my supention on my 18 450 sxf. I keep the air and run them at 166 psi. That was there setting for me. Also had the do the shock at the same time. Couldn’t be happier with it.
TJMX947
6/12/2018 6:08am
4One7 wrote:
I haven't personally rode an AER to SSS conversion but Cal at FTI in Thomasville has done SSS conversions and I've herd people say they were...
I haven't personally rode an AER to SSS conversion but Cal at FTI in Thomasville has done SSS conversions and I've herd people say they were more than satisfied. Rider is around the 260-270lbs on a 450sxf.

I have rode an AER on a 150sx that was re valved by FTI and it was by far the best air fork I have ridden. With that said I'm 195 LB's.
Cal was one of the guys who told me to hold off on the spring conversion. Super knowledgeable guy, and seemed really cool.
TJMX947
6/12/2018 6:10am
BIG E wrote:
I’m at the 300lb range and had factory connection do my supention on my 18 450 sxf. I keep the air and run them at 166...
I’m at the 300lb range and had factory connection do my supention on my 18 450 sxf. I keep the air and run them at 166 psi. That was there setting for me. Also had the do the shock at the same time. Couldn’t be happier with it.
Thanks for the info, I haven't actually talked to FC. Did you have them do that "performance kit" on the fork, I believe its an extra $145. Not even sure what it is.

The Shop

Flesh206
6/12/2018 6:11am
Not being an ass, but your best mod would prob be to loose a few man. GL
6/12/2018 6:15am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 6:15am
Clean your seals after every ride with a seal doctor and keep the pressure in the 160s.

There’s so much adjustment in those aer48s you really don’t even need to get them valved or anything.

I’m an SSS guy through and through but the aer48 got it right. I like them better than my Yamaha’s. Never thought I’d say that!
TJMX947
6/12/2018 6:23am
Flesh206 wrote:
Way ahead of you, I've lost about 25lbs already. Still need to be able to set the sag on my bike, it will be a while before I can do that with the stock 4.3kg shock spring.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
6/12/2018 6:31am
Maybe stock valving could be optimized? But a suspension company will not tell you stock valving is fine for your speed.

I sure would start with the right spring rate on your shock. Set sag and settle in on your fork pressure.

I've had KYB on my last KTM, now using the AER air, very very similar. They are not so far apart in performance that I would do the conversion again. I do notice a "vague" feeling in corner entry, but thats pretty much standard in air forks. Use to it now.
TJMX947
6/12/2018 6:51am
Stock valving isn't an option given my girth (speed isn't even a question at this point). At the minimum rebound damping needs to be stiffened up on the shock to compliment the heavy spring necessary to set the sag.

I'm pretty sure you can get away with leaving the forks stock, but you're going to run a super high air pressure to balance the front end with the rear end, which is something I would like to avoid and I'm trying to see what other heavy weight guys are running/what company they used.

You would actually be surprised, two companies mentioned going with a shock revalve/spring, leaving forks stock and working from there, and if I stayed with a local shop that would definitely be the way to go. However boxing suspension up and sending it off doesn't sound fun, so if I went with a Race Tech or Factory Connection I would just send it all at one time.

My goal isn't to find a tuner who can build me something that is going to be the missing piece to why I'm not riding A class, but more so make the bike handle as it was designed to; setting the sag and balancing the front end with that is 99% of what I need.
WDSRCR
6/12/2018 7:10am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 7:13am
I am 220lbs A off road rider on an XC.

I had ProTune set mine up and it is great.

You are correct, you are going to need more rebound valving for the heavier spring rates. Once you have that done, the AER is sufficient and I am sure you will like it. There are a few guys in the series I race that are blistering fast on stock AER stuff.

If you want to spend a little, ask Corey at ProTune about doing the Closed Chamber spring conversion. (Not SSS). It pretty reasonably priced and is what I have for this year. I used the AER for a year and liked it but when he offered me to try this setup, I went for it. (Perks of sponsorship ?)

If you don’t use ProTune, I would absolutely recommend doing the gold valves. If you are capable of installing yourself and understand suspension in the slightest, the race tech stuff is very good. I was sponsored by them in 2004 and loved the setup that they had for me. I am a believer in Paul Theade and his products.
TJMX947
6/12/2018 7:30am
WDSRCR wrote:
I am 220lbs A off road rider on an XC. I had ProTune set mine up and it is great. You are correct, you are going...
I am 220lbs A off road rider on an XC.

I had ProTune set mine up and it is great.

You are correct, you are going to need more rebound valving for the heavier spring rates. Once you have that done, the AER is sufficient and I am sure you will like it. There are a few guys in the series I race that are blistering fast on stock AER stuff.

If you want to spend a little, ask Corey at ProTune about doing the Closed Chamber spring conversion. (Not SSS). It pretty reasonably priced and is what I have for this year. I used the AER for a year and liked it but when he offered me to try this setup, I went for it. (Perks of sponsorship ?)

If you don’t use ProTune, I would absolutely recommend doing the gold valves. If you are capable of installing yourself and understand suspension in the slightest, the race tech stuff is very good. I was sponsored by them in 2004 and loved the setup that they had for me. I am a believer in Paul Theade and his products.
Yep - Corey is super nice, we spoke probably two months ago about the SSS Swap. I'll shoot him a text and see what he says about the closed chamber set up. His prices are really good, and I usually make it up to Southern Ohio 2 times a year so having him rework stuff is optimal.

Question - Being an XC guy, do you know Todd Ghearing? He's my wife's uncle (she's from Columbus, we visit Jackson for Holidays and stuff). I try to go ride with them when we come up, although I'm no woods guy not even in the slightest.
Digger29
6/12/2018 7:57am
4One7 wrote:
I haven't personally rode an AER to SSS conversion but Cal at FTI in Thomasville has done SSS conversions and I've herd people say they were...

TJMX947 wrote:
Cal was one of the guys who told me to hold off on the spring conversion. Super knowledgeable guy, and seemed really cool.
I've ridden both the FC spring conversion kit and their new AER mid-valve kit and I love the modified AER fork over the spring conversion fork. Just my 2 cents.
Mr. Info
6/12/2018 8:35am
TJMX947 I would start with air only and compression backed all the way off. When you feel like you are almost an inch from bottoming with your air start turning in your compression a couple clicks until you get the feel you like. I am 230lbs and that's what worked best for me.
Flesh206
6/12/2018 8:45am
Flesh206 wrote:
TJMX947 wrote:
Way ahead of you, I've lost about 25lbs already. Still need to be able to set the sag on my bike, it will be a while...
Way ahead of you, I've lost about 25lbs already. Still need to be able to set the sag on my bike, it will be a while before I can do that with the stock 4.3kg shock spring.
Good work! Keep it up!
captmoto
6/12/2018 11:06am
I have a 17 FC450 and have Race Tech GV front and rear. I run about 160 in the front. I think I went a little softer, like out 2-3 clicks on compression. Haven't touched rebound or felt the need. For a 17, the GV ugrades the x-ring in the air side, similar I think to what the 18's come with. I have a heavier spring in the rear, not sure off hand what it is. I haven't touched those clickers. Race Tech got it right for me but I'me sure the other suspension tuners do a good job and they've had a couple years for R&D on them. I'm real happy with mine. I'm not blazing fast and right at 265. I will check with Race Tech the see if they have come up with anything different in the last year that I might need.
TJMX947
6/12/2018 12:29pm
captmoto wrote:
I have a 17 FC450 and have Race Tech GV front and rear. I run about 160 in the front. I think I went a little...
I have a 17 FC450 and have Race Tech GV front and rear. I run about 160 in the front. I think I went a little softer, like out 2-3 clicks on compression. Haven't touched rebound or felt the need. For a 17, the GV ugrades the x-ring in the air side, similar I think to what the 18's come with. I have a heavier spring in the rear, not sure off hand what it is. I haven't touched those clickers. Race Tech got it right for me but I'me sure the other suspension tuners do a good job and they've had a couple years for R&D on them. I'm real happy with mine. I'm not blazing fast and right at 265. I will check with Race Tech the see if they have come up with anything different in the last year that I might need.
Thanks for the info, I assume you had everything installed at the Race Tech Head Quarters in Corona? The prices are better than having local shops perform the GV install for sure.
richter28
Fantasy
156th
6/12/2018 12:31pm
I'm close to 250, TZR re valved the forks and I've messed with the air for a bit, settling at 150psi at the moment, but the cool part about the AER is how easy it is to "change the spring rate" so easily at the track by just adding or dropping air. That might be a hidden benefit if you continue to lose weight, rather than re springing every 25 pounds...
Markus422
6/12/2018 12:36pm
225 lbs A rider here. Air forks work great for me when I trail ride but on the moto tracks or in the desert I constantly feel like I will blow through them and bottom out, reguardless of stiffness. On the KTM I have I run cone valve and it's 100% worth it.
TJMX947
6/12/2018 12:48pm
richter28 wrote:
I'm close to 250, TZR re valved the forks and I've messed with the air for a bit, settling at 150psi at the moment, but the...
I'm close to 250, TZR re valved the forks and I've messed with the air for a bit, settling at 150psi at the moment, but the cool part about the AER is how easy it is to "change the spring rate" so easily at the track by just adding or dropping air. That might be a hidden benefit if you continue to lose weight, rather than re springing every 25 pounds...
I definitely agree, staying with the air spring is definitely a perk when considering I could lose weight.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
6/12/2018 12:51pm
Coming off Yamahas since 2015 I thought we were going to hate the AER fork. After we valved it and used our pistons my son is feeling much better on the WP forks. Since we are only running 5 lap motos the AER is working for us, if we were doing 30 + 2 I think I may would go with a spring or cone valve switch.

More pressure will work fine as long as the rest of the fork is set up accordingly....
TJMX947
6/12/2018 1:28pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Coming off Yamahas since 2015 I thought we were going to hate the AER fork. After we valved it and used our pistons my son is...
Coming off Yamahas since 2015 I thought we were going to hate the AER fork. After we valved it and used our pistons my son is feeling much better on the WP forks. Since we are only running 5 lap motos the AER is working for us, if we were doing 30 + 2 I think I may would go with a spring or cone valve switch.

More pressure will work fine as long as the rest of the fork is set up accordingly....
I actually spoke to someone from TagMX Suspension yesterday. The person caught me at a bad time, I was battling Charlotte traffic and trying to coordinate daycare pick up with the Mom. The guy was super knowledgeable and helpful with the information. If you're the owner of TagMX Suspension I just wanted you to know that I really appreciated the time that guy took with me.

I would love to use your pistons/valving but its a little out of my budget right now, plus I would have to ship my stuff from Charlotte so that's more cash on top.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
6/12/2018 1:31pm
TJMX947 wrote:
I actually spoke to someone from TagMX Suspension yesterday. The person caught me at a bad time, I was battling Charlotte traffic and trying to coordinate...
I actually spoke to someone from TagMX Suspension yesterday. The person caught me at a bad time, I was battling Charlotte traffic and trying to coordinate daycare pick up with the Mom. The guy was super knowledgeable and helpful with the information. If you're the owner of TagMX Suspension I just wanted you to know that I really appreciated the time that guy took with me.

I would love to use your pistons/valving but its a little out of my budget right now, plus I would have to ship my stuff from Charlotte so that's more cash on top.
I am, and thank you very much I really appreciate your kind words! If we can ever help just give us a call! Hope you get her dialed in the way you want!
Bruce372
6/12/2018 3:56pm
Imo is you are over 200lbs the biggest challenge with getting the fork working well, is getting the shock setup correctly first. I am 230-240 and going to a 5.2 then a 5.4 spring and going stiffer on compression damping make the forks and bike work so much better.
captmoto
6/12/2018 4:23pm
TJMX947 wrote:
Thanks for the info, I assume you had everything installed at the Race Tech Head Quarters in Corona? The prices are better than having local shops...
Thanks for the info, I assume you had everything installed at the Race Tech Head Quarters in Corona? The prices are better than having local shops perform the GV install for sure.
Yes I did. I'm about 30 minutes from Race Tech so that's where I go. Been a Race Tech guy since the early 90's.
6/12/2018 5:10pm
if you haven't called Kreft yet...please do. He's kind of mad scientist/magician/guru with modern WP stuff. What he doesn't know about WP products isn't worth knowing.
ChubbyCat113
6/12/2018 5:52pm
I weigh 235 lbs, C ride and had Chris with Pro-Action of WV revalve the spring fork, he said the air fork would be fine the way it is. I run about 156lbs of air in my fork. He also installed a bladder kit for the rear and that made a huge difference in the chop and acceleration and deceleration bumps. I hope you get the setting you like but really no need to drop tons of money IMO
TJMX947
6/12/2018 6:45pm
I weigh 235 lbs, C ride and had Chris with Pro-Action of WV revalve the spring fork, he said the air fork would be fine the...
I weigh 235 lbs, C ride and had Chris with Pro-Action of WV revalve the spring fork, he said the air fork would be fine the way it is. I run about 156lbs of air in my fork. He also installed a bladder kit for the rear and that made a huge difference in the chop and acceleration and deceleration bumps. I hope you get the setting you like but really no need to drop tons of money IMO
What bike are you on? Did you go with a spring conversion or keep air (I was kind of confused by the way you worded it)? I've considered Pro Action in WVA actually, haven't talked to him yet. Pretty close to family I'm seeing soon. Thanks for the info!
BIG E
6/12/2018 7:00pm
BIG E wrote:
I’m at the 300lb range and had factory connection do my supention on my 18 450 sxf. I keep the air and run them at 166...
TJMX947 wrote:
Thanks for the info, I haven't actually talked to FC. Did you have them do that "performance kit" on the fork, I believe its an extra...
Thanks for the info, I haven't actually talked to FC. Did you have them do that "performance kit" on the fork, I believe its an extra $145. Not even sure what it is.
No I didn’t. Just a basic revalve.
kdawson252
6/12/2018 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 8:55pm
I'm the same size and have the same exact bike. I had a local tuner re-valve both sides and add a heaver spring in the rear. I Run 174 psi in the forks and it works really well for me. I found that when the track is rough adding 3-4 psi helps a lot in the braking bumps.

Post a reply to: Heavy Guys on WP AER 48

The Latest