Heat stroke/exhaustion

danman
5/30/2018 6:26am
I've had heat exhaustion a couple of times. After the first time I got it, I seem to get it much quicker now, so I really have to pay attention. I will rarely ride or do any work outside if the temp gets above 85 because I'll only make it about 15-30 min before light headedness starts in.
It sucks!

RIP!
Nellie12
5/30/2018 6:59am
klutch616 wrote:
This might sound ridiculous, its just an idea so don't roast me for thinking of a solution. Does it make sense to have a misting system...
This might sound ridiculous, its just an idea so don't roast me for thinking of a solution.

Does it make sense to have a misting system near the mechanics row where a rider could choose to ride through during the race? You wouldn't have to slow down, just pull a tear off.

I have raced this series in the past. One year at a race held in the summer, they had someone with a hose standing by the track. If you chose, you could pull to the side and they would spray you down.
illy abby
5/30/2018 7:32am
Water from the outside may lower the body temperature temporarily but it will not hydrate the body. Scotty was obviously disoriented and thats why he was so off course. The weather is changing and this is July August heat in May, our bodies arn’t able to maintain so how hard is a tiny gps and heart monitor to add to already worn pads and helmets?!? For real why is no one pushing this? Seems like a simple solution, please someone with knowledge of this field push this to the right people.
illy abby
5/30/2018 7:49am
It's no joke folks. Scotty Trimble passed away today at a cross country race, leading the pro class. Last lap didn't come through scoring, the sweep...
It's no joke folks. Scotty Trimble passed away today at a cross country race, leading the pro class. Last lap didn't come through scoring, the sweep riders didn't see him, went out again, found his bike and his gear. They gathered some volunteers and swept the woods and found him face down in the dirt in some thick growth. We rolled him over and he was gone.

Scotty has three daughters and a wife. Keep them in your thoughts
gps & heart monitors for every rider...r.i.p. sixo

The Shop

ktm300hater
5/30/2018 2:59pm
It's no joke folks. Scotty Trimble passed away today at a cross country race, leading the pro class. Last lap didn't come through scoring, the sweep...
It's no joke folks. Scotty Trimble passed away today at a cross country race, leading the pro class. Last lap didn't come through scoring, the sweep riders didn't see him, went out again, found his bike and his gear. They gathered some volunteers and swept the woods and found him face down in the dirt in some thick growth. We rolled him over and he was gone.

illy abby wrote:
Mandating such things is the liberal way of thinking of trying to save people from themselves. May be a good idea, but making people purchase them is a sure fire way to drive people away. A better way is to educate people in rider meetings, at sign ups, before the start of long races etc. I've ridden for 40 years and have yet to have any heat related issues, other than getting a little more tired than normal when it's hot. I don't get anywhere near to the point of exhaustion...I just stop

My education in heat safety came from being stationed in Yuma Az while in the Marine Corps and 120 degree temps
TejasTJ
5/30/2018 8:55pm
First off, prayers for his girls and wife. This is so sad.

From what I heard, his hydration pack was found empty.

Friday night I decided to not make the drive to Quinlan and race this weekend. It would have been my first race in the TORN series. It was hovering around the 100’s all weekend. I believe I’ll wait until the second half of the season when it cools down to race over an hour + a lap in this heat.
milliebays
5/30/2018 10:27pm
Heat stroke/exhaustion is no joke. I had pretty close to the same experience back in the 80's in a 100 mile hare scramble in South Georgia...
Heat stroke/exhaustion is no joke.

I had pretty close to the same experience back in the 80's in a 100 mile hare scramble in South Georgia in August. 75 miles in I quit sweating. If it weren't for the folks in my pit stopping me from continuing when I pitted for gas at the end of lap 3 of 4 I wouldn't be here today. I was running 3rd overall at the time and no 21 year old is gonna walk away voluntarily. After all, we're all invincible at that age.

35 years later I still have no tolerance for heat and have never been the same when it's hot. I just don't ride anymore when it's over 90 degrees. It sucks but it beats the alternative.

My advice is to make sure the people around you can recognize the symptoms and put their foot down when they see them. And hydrate. Then hydrate again.
ELECTROLYTES.

like coach rob says, too much water can be bad if you're body doesn't have the ability to absorb it.
Jeff alessi
5/30/2018 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 10:39pm
That’s very hard to hear, for any racer headed to a hot race this summer just simply consume more water then you expel. A good method my brother had was to try and finish a bottle of water (12 ounces) every hour. It’s not hard to sip that up. When moto time comes your body should tell you how far you can go, this is a sport and pushing yourself as far as possible should be the goal but always stay within your limits the mind can handle and allows you to stay focused on. Rest in peace Moto Brother.
illy abby
5/31/2018 3:08am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 7:04am

illy abby wrote:
Mandating such things is the liberal way of thinking of trying to save people from themselves. May be a good idea, but making people purchase them...
Mandating such things is the liberal way of thinking of trying to save people from themselves. May be a good idea, but making people purchase them is a sure fire way to drive people away. A better way is to educate people in rider meetings, at sign ups, before the start of long races etc. I've ridden for 40 years and have yet to have any heat related issues, other than getting a little more tired than normal when it's hot. I don't get anywhere near to the point of exhaustion...I just stop

My education in heat safety came from being stationed in Yuma Az while in the Marine Corps and 120 degree temps
I respect and commend your own knowledge of health and years in the industry. I also doubt a $50 device would deture any riders that are already spending thousands on gear and equipment. If no one is spotting riders/cyclists/clibmers -anyone doing extreme sports, there is no reason to NOT have a gps tracking you these days. With pre-exsisting conditions, accedents, more extreme weather patterns its just nieve to think education is the only way to keep people alive. I would gladly put one on my kids. I’m sure there was resistance to wearing pads & helmets in the beginning bc they are hot and cumbersome but they save lives.
Donovan759
5/31/2018 6:03am
tylermx967 wrote:
WE WENT TO THE FREESTONE RACE IN 2010 AND SEED HEAT STROKE HAPPIND TO ELI TOMAC AND PEOPLE GET SCARED FOR HIM. THIS WAS THE SAME...
WE WENT TO THE FREESTONE RACE IN 2010 AND SEED HEAT STROKE HAPPIND TO ELI TOMAC AND PEOPLE GET SCARED FOR HIM. THIS WAS THE SAME RACE THAT MATT MOSS GIVED ME HIS GOGGILS FORM THE TRUCK AT TEAM SUSZUKI
I thought this shit was funny until now. Not cool. WTF is wrong with you.

Godspeed Scotty. My prayers are with your family.

Post a reply to: Heat stroke/exhaustion

The Latest