Heart rates on the gate?

Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 9:22am
We all know the butterflies and nerves never go away for anyone before the gate drops. Does anyone know what these guys heart rate is while sitting on the gate? They get to 180-190 during the race, but how about before the gate drops? Maybe 140'ish? I included a poll just to see what everyone would guess.

Also, for a race like Denver, would Tomac and Craig see an above average bpm on the gate assuming they're feeling more pressure than normal about clinching the championship?

Nerve-racking:

Poll

Heart rates on the gate?

Choices
|
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/6/2022 12:10pm
Depends on a couple things. Opener to the series. Probably pretty high. Last round, not in the title hunt. Much lower. All circumstances. Bigger races I race, Top Gun at Washougal. Gets me going good. Local race I don't care about, I am as chill as can be.

Plus HRs are going to be up because these guys all warm up before even heading to the gate. HR too low, when you start racing, the body pumps up really fast which leads to issues. Too high before even doing anything has a similar outcome.
AZRider
5/6/2022 1:23pm
I dont know but here is my 3rd moto 2 weeks ago at 49.5 years old and waaay out of shape.
Thought i was gonna die lol. 180s for me normally when pushing

5/6/2022 1:42pm
AZRider wrote:
I dont know but here is my 3rd moto 2 weeks ago at 49.5 years old and waaay out of shape. Thought i was gonna die...
I dont know but here is my 3rd moto 2 weeks ago at 49.5 years old and waaay out of shape.

Wow Jason, you are way above average. I was going to say you have the heart of a 20yr old but you say you are away out of shape? Sounds like you have an oversized power plant:

Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/6/2022 1:52pm
Wow Jason, you are way above average. I was going to say you have the heart of a 20yr old but you say you are away...
Wow Jason, you are way above average. I was going to say you have the heart of a 20yr old but you say you are away out of shape? Sounds like you have an oversized power plant:

Thats only a basic look at it. Average person living an average life.

This moto was the last one in the day. Got a couple laps in before another rider pulled in behind me. We battled for 15 min or so before he pulled off after he got by me. I felt fine the whole moto with the exception I had already put in 5, 15 min motos prior so fatigue was setting in. I am in pretty good shape but Ive never hit 207 bpm. Only 201 once before. Measured with Polar H10.

The Shop

5/6/2022 1:55pm
Wow Jason, you are way above average. I was going to say you have the heart of a 20yr old but you say you are away...

Leeham wrote:
Thats only a basic look at it. Average person living an average life. This moto was the last one in the day. Got a couple laps...

This moto was the last one in the day. Got a couple laps in before another rider pulled in behind me. We battled for 15 min or so before he pulled off after he got by me. I felt fine the whole moto with the exception I had already put in 5, 15 min motos prior so fatigue was setting in. I am in pretty good shape but Ive never hit 207 bpm. Only 201 once before. Measured with Polar H10.

How old are you?
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/6/2022 1:57pm
I usually ride around 165-180 while riding. Depending on intensity. Smooth track where im just cruising. 150 bpm. Also with wrist watches that record HR, there is actually a pretty big margin of error. Lots of vibration and movement while riding a dirt bike. The watch guesses at times what your HR is at instead of actually reading it. Just my experience with Garmin, Samsung, and Polar watches.
AZRider
5/6/2022 2:01pm

Leeham wrote:
Thats only a basic look at it. Average person living an average life. This moto was the last one in the day. Got a couple laps...

How old are you?
With regard to me, I am a lifelong athlete, just currently not in shape for me. Probably still better than most in my age group, bit I have always run a bit higher than most. When I was doing tris, I was routinely 10-15 bpm more than most elites in age group...not a good thing, just where my body operates well. My zone 2 at 47 years old based on lactate threshold testing went up to 158.bpm but I can ride moto in the 180s for an hour before I hit the wall.
5/6/2022 2:03pm
How old are you?
Leeham wrote:
25, turning 26 this year
You are right on the money for your age and being in good shape. And using the chest strap is definitely more accurate than a watch. AZrider on the other hand is out of the normal range for his age.

Azrider, you wearing a watch or chest strap?
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/6/2022 2:07pm
AZRider wrote:
With regard to me, I am a lifelong athlete, just currently not in shape for me. Probably still better than most in my age group, bit...
With regard to me, I am a lifelong athlete, just currently not in shape for me. Probably still better than most in my age group, bit I have always run a bit higher than most. When I was doing tris, I was routinely 10-15 bpm more than most elites in age group...not a good thing, just where my body operates well. My zone 2 at 47 years old based on lactate threshold testing went up to 158.bpm but I can ride moto in the 180s for an hour before I hit the wall.
Ive always found its far easier to hit higher HRs while riding moto vs anything else. Being focused on my riding and the track vs how I feel physically. Also being a full body activity its easier to get the HR up. And yes, people operate at different HR. My buddy runs at a lower HR then most. Hes in shape and ex olympian. Advantage I suppose
AZRider
5/6/2022 2:30pm
How old are you?
Leeham wrote:
25, turning 26 this year
You are right on the money for your age and being in good shape. And using the chest strap is definitely more accurate than a watch...
You are right on the money for your age and being in good shape. And using the chest strap is definitely more accurate than a watch. AZrider on the other hand is out of the normal range for his age.

Chest strap. Wrist based monitors are horrible. I go between polar and Garmin
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/6/2022 3:04pm
It would interesting to seem them as an in-race graphic like they do with MotoGP riders during races.
49weasel
5/6/2022 9:33pm
Here’s my heart on the starting line when my son raced the KTM sx.

5/6/2022 11:48pm
I couldn’t tell you what they’re getting on the start line.

But a few pros log their training rides on Strava.
Justin Barcia puts up his but appears to have deleted them now.

I’m sure Alex martin won’t mind us looking at these:

Robgvx
5/7/2022 12:55am
Leeham wrote:

I got the same results when I rode with a heart rate monitor.

400 kcal in 23 minutes is 1,000 kcal an hour.

Go on a treadmill with a HRM and set the speed and incline to give you 1,000 calories an hour. It’s insane effort!
5/7/2022 1:43pm
49weasel wrote:
Here’s my heart on the starting line when my son raced the KTM sx. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/06/548517/s1200_A282AE1B_63C5_435F_835C_B045C901F743.jpg[/img]
Here’s my heart on the starting line when my son raced the KTM sx.

Nice, definitely a nerve-racking experience. How did he do?
mbw479
5/7/2022 2:46pm
AZRider wrote:
I dont know but here is my 3rd moto 2 weeks ago at 49.5 years old and waaay out of shape. Thought i was gonna die...

Unreal, I don’t know how you have the balls to push that hard at that age, I’m 39 and never push my heart rate above 150 on the bike, racing or not. Just far to cautious these days but haven’t had a decent crash for years 🤞🏻
mbw479
5/7/2022 2:51pm
Leeham wrote:
25, turning 26 this year
You are right on the money for your age and being in good shape. And using the chest strap is definitely more accurate than a watch...

AZRider wrote:
Chest strap. Wrist based monitors are horrible. I go between polar and Garmin
There are many tests comparing chest straps v wrist based heart rate monitors, google it. They generally say they are within 3bpm at all times, with arguments over which one is more accurate. I run long distance as well as moto and go with wrist for simplicity, if you just pick the one you like best and go with that you can’t go wrong.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
5/7/2022 4:33pm
Highest i have seen mine recorded was in a gncc. 204 and i swear i saw elvis walking in the woods😵‍💫😂
5/9/2022 6:10am
I nerd out on this stuff, bigtime. I used to love it when they'd show the guy's HR's on the screens during races. I def. find mine runs pretty high, and always has. During my Triathlon I hit over 200 at the end of my run. These guy's racing supercross have got to be able to keep it lower to maintain composure and focus. Its pretty awesome!

This is a video I did where I linked up my HR and other data. Its just a backyard billy moto track, but still fun and cool to see, nonetheless.

5/9/2022 9:22am
I found the answer in an old Vital thread that has some very good information about heart rates and training, look for the post from RX Virtual Trainer:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Interesting-heart-rate-s…

Heart rates on the gate are in the 130's. Here's the poll results as I type this:

Post a reply to: Heart rates on the gate?

The Latest