Heart rates

motomike894
Edited Date/Time 1/19/2021 5:20am
I have been working on consistently again for the past 6-8 weeks.

What I am wondering is my heart rate never gets super high, even when I try to get it to, or when riding, all of my friends that are in ten times better shape then me get theirs way higher easier.

I am on blood pressure meds so I wonder if that is affecting it ?

Wondering if anyone has the same issue ?

I can ride my road bike on the trainer for 45 minutes and it takes me about ten to get it in the 120's to 130 where I try to stay for most of that time, then usually last 2-3 minutes ill go WFO and I can get it to like 160-165 before my legs are total jello and Im hyperventialting.

I am 5'11" and 320 lbs right now and 39 years old.

None of my buddies believe me and say my monitor must be bad, but I have a new chest strap and new battery in monitor it works great.
|
Hank_Thrill
1/13/2021 8:30am
I'm no doctor, but blood pressure meds will definitely keep your heart rate lower from my experience. Long story, but I was prescribed some once and my heart rate would not get out of the 140s and I felt lethargic cycling.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/13/2021 8:35am
No doctor here either, but a pretty avid cyclist for a good little while. I'd say looking at or worrying about your max HR or playing in the upper revs should not be in your program quite yet. Seems you need to get a lot of easy time and miles under you working in the Z1-Z3 range and establishing a nice cardio base before you start blipping the throttle hard. Sometimes it's hard to hold ourselves back and keep the big picture in mind.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/13/2021 8:47am
Talk to your doctor about exercise. Don't listen to us yahoos on Vital about your heart! Woohoo

At 39, you can expect a slightly different cardio response than when you were in your teens. My guess is that the BP medication is doing most of the work, however. Again, talk to your doctor. He may be able to prescribe something else and/or reduce your dose now that you are working out.
ElliotB16
1/13/2021 8:52am
Everybody’s different. My max heart rate is 190 but I have a hard time getting 165+ during cardio. And 140 max on the bike

The Shop

duckdog77
1/13/2021 9:21am
FGR01 wrote:
No doctor here either, but a pretty avid cyclist for a good little while. I'd say looking at or worrying about your max HR or playing...
No doctor here either, but a pretty avid cyclist for a good little while. I'd say looking at or worrying about your max HR or playing in the upper revs should not be in your program quite yet. Seems you need to get a lot of easy time and miles under you working in the Z1-Z3 range and establishing a nice cardio base before you start blipping the throttle hard. Sometimes it's hard to hold ourselves back and keep the big picture in mind.
I agree with this. At 32 This is my first year playing with HR Zone training. I didn’t believe the theory of Zone 2 training at first. But I gave it a try. I thought to get in shape you had to be balls to the wall! Now My cardio has never been better.

I really enjoy zone 2 work outs and tend to take the family on bike rides with me when I do them as they can keep up. I try to keep them upwards of 40 minutes if I have time. Zone 3 you will start to Feel like you are actually working out but should be able to manage for a little bit even being out of shape. Zones 4 and 5 are hard even once your fitness levels get up there and should be used for some short sprints until you are ready to hang in them for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps I’m not a fitness expert this is just some google knowledge and personal experience. Read up on zone training and give it a try!

A polar watch and H10 chest strap, linked with the flow and beat apps will give you all the info you need and even take it as far as to tell you when to train and when to rest. I think it’s pretty awesome data to have and track your progress.
AE448
1/13/2021 10:28am
As others have said, get yourself professional advice not just from us schmuckos on here. The rule of thumb is max HR should be 220 minus your age, so 181 for yourself. Your medication may be why you can't get your average and max HR up. Some people are genetically different though with no reason for it. Maverick Vinales (Motogp rider for those who don't follow it), always averages a super low HR during races of around 125-145 whilst others are at 165-185! But. Professional advice if you need the best opinion!
AE448
1/13/2021 10:31am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2021 10:31am
FGR01 wrote:
No doctor here either, but a pretty avid cyclist for a good little while. I'd say looking at or worrying about your max HR or playing...
duckdog77 wrote:
I agree with this. At 32 This is my first year playing with HR Zone training. I didn’t believe the theory of Zone 2 training at...
I agree with this. At 32 This is my first year playing with HR Zone training. I didn’t believe the theory of Zone 2 training at first. But I gave it a try. I thought to get in shape you had to be balls to the wall! Now My cardio has never been better.

I really enjoy zone 2 work outs and tend to take the family on bike rides with me when I do them as they can keep up. I try to keep them upwards of 40 minutes if I have time. Zone 3 you will start to Feel like you are actually working out but should be able to manage for a little bit even being out of shape. Zones 4 and 5 are hard even once your fitness levels get up there and should be used for some short sprints until you are ready to hang in them for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps I’m not a fitness expert this is just some google knowledge and personal experience. Read up on zone training and give it a try!

A polar watch and H10 chest strap, linked with the flow and beat apps will give you all the info you need and even take it as far as to tell you when to train and when to rest. I think it’s pretty awesome data to have and track your progress.
It's no kidding, Z2 can be great for getting real fit. It feels super easy, as if you aren't even working out. I train on 2 wheels now but when I was training to run a marathon I did most of my runs in this zone for 4 months. I went and did a 5k Parkrun and got a personal best by miles, even though I hadn't done any fast, high HR running in ages. Weird really how it works.
ktmdan
1/13/2021 10:53am
FGR01 wrote:
duckdog77 wrote:
I agree with this. At 32 This is my first year playing with HR Zone training. I didn’t believe the theory of Zone 2 training at...

My H10 is currently being shipped to me.
What does the Beat app offer that the flow app does not?
I'm new to HR training but excited to learn and reap the benefits.
motomike894
1/13/2021 10:56am
Thanks for some advise, my doctor said it could be from the BP meds, I have been on them for a really long time, even before I was as fat as I am now.

I just had bunch bloodwork done, I have a underactive thyroid to, and that was fine still with the med I take, I did a ekg it was good, and all other bloodwork.

I have been trying to get into the 120's to 130's ( I assume this is zone 2 )and stay there when I am doing cardio that was advise I was given, so thats what I have been trying to do 3-4 times week, I do circuits and weight stuff other 2 days usually.

I have a friend at a race few years ago wore his and his max heart rate got to 210 if I remember right I was like wtf, I wore his and during my race max was 160's.
kb228
1/13/2021 11:15am
Im basically identical to your size but im 27 and not on any meds. Takes me about 2-3 mins to get to 130. Going to 170bpm isnt that hard. Usually just more effort required.
aees
1/13/2021 11:39am
Thanks for some advise, my doctor said it could be from the BP meds, I have been on them for a really long time, even before...
Thanks for some advise, my doctor said it could be from the BP meds, I have been on them for a really long time, even before I was as fat as I am now.

I just had bunch bloodwork done, I have a underactive thyroid to, and that was fine still with the med I take, I did a ekg it was good, and all other bloodwork.

I have been trying to get into the 120's to 130's ( I assume this is zone 2 )and stay there when I am doing cardio that was advise I was given, so thats what I have been trying to do 3-4 times week, I do circuits and weight stuff other 2 days usually.

I have a friend at a race few years ago wore his and his max heart rate got to 210 if I remember right I was like wtf, I wore his and during my race max was 160's.
Your max HR is between 160 and 230, somewhere. It is 100% individual. Without a Max HR test, there is no way to know and you might be in the wrong zone training.

You can do your own max HR tests to get better indication, just Google.

If you do it yourself, do it both on a bike and rower. Bigger chance to get something that is close to reality and that you don't fail due to a particular week muscle not able to keep up. Ideally, running should be in to, but i would not recommend that for your situation.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
1/13/2021 12:41pm
Its your *theortical* Max HR when you do the 220 minus your age. With that measurement, my max HR is 196. But ive been able to reach 200-205 HR several times. Mostly while im riding where I dont think to slow down because im tired. I was in the moment everytime I was over 200, laser focused in putting in a heater. At home training, its much harder to get anywhere close to that. Due to be having an easier opportunity to just slow down from being tired.
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
1/13/2021 12:59pm
Thanks for some advise, my doctor said it could be from the BP meds, I have been on them for a really long time, even before...

What HRM are you using? Even if you have a new battery in it it could be out, especially if it’s a cheaper/older one.
motomike894
1/13/2021 5:07pm

luke11 wrote:
What HRM are you using? Even if you have a new battery in it it could be out, especially if it’s a cheaper/older one.
This is what I have I know it’s older and yes pink I bought it used and didn’t care lol

I believe it’s a ft7 model

motomike894
1/13/2021 5:08pm
kb228 wrote:
Im basically identical to your size but im 27 and not on any meds. Takes me about 2-3 mins to get to 130. Going to 170bpm...
Im basically identical to your size but im 27 and not on any meds. Takes me about 2-3 mins to get to 130. Going to 170bpm isnt that hard. Usually just more effort required.
In Ohio too maybe I’ve seen you before haha
duckdog77
1/13/2021 5:25pm
ktmdan wrote:
My H10 is currently being shipped to me. What does the Beat app offer that the flow app does not? I'm new to HR training but...
My H10 is currently being shipped to me.
What does the Beat app offer that the flow app does not?
I'm new to HR training but excited to learn and reap the benefits.
The beat app is what you will link to your H10 and use to start/end your work out. During your work out it’s what you will look at to see your current heart rate, cals burned, time, mileage, pace. All the goods. It will store all your past sessions as well.

The flow app will automatically download your workouts found in the beat app. The flow app is where you will track your progress. Basically a fitness calendar. It combines your weekly data how long you’ve worked out, total miles, cals burned, what zones you’ve been in for how long. Too much to type out honestly. The flow app gets really awesome once you link a polar watch to it as well. Not sure why but it gave me a lot more data once I got the watch.
HusqFan3
1/15/2021 11:08am
ElliotB16 wrote:
Everybody’s different. My max heart rate is 190 but I have a hard time getting 165+ during cardio. And 140 max on the bike
That’s interesting. When I’m doing intense cardio my HR ranges from 160-170 and definitely “feels” like my heart is racing. When I’m on the bike it never really felt like my HR was elevated so i decided to test via a chest straps and below was the result. Can you guess when I’m on the track vs waiting to enter or driving back to track?

captmoto
1/15/2021 11:31am
Its really all about your weight. You are at the age where other things are going to start showing up. Diabetes is the main thing you want to avoid but you're pushing that way now. My real weight gain started around 40, along with a creeping blood sugar. My HBP didn't start rising until my late 50s. I went off my meds because I felt worse on them and couldn't get above 120 and felt beat when I rode. I'm trying now to get hooked back up with my doc but covid is making it hard get in.
As far as meds go I have been told that an ACE inhibitor can help your BP with out blocking your HR. It sounds like you are seeing your doc so that's good. Do something with your weight while your still young. It's way harder when you get to my age. 64, 6' 280.
MotoxTodd
1/15/2021 11:53am
My Heart rate Hits MAX no problem............. Every April 15 😁😁😁😁😁
Meister
1/16/2021 9:55am
Your post made me put on my wife's watch and see where I was. I just started running on the treadmill. 4th consecutive run today. My only goal was to stay on the damn thing for 30 minutes. I've done that each day. Running at a 5 to 5.6 per the treadmill. The watch told me today that I was between 175-181. No idea what that means, but it's not easy lol.. haven't ran anywhere but the fridge since 2016. Dec 9 I was 268.8. Today I got into the 230s at 239.. trying to use running to help speed up the weight loss along with a 100% clean diet.
MotoMatt_928
1/18/2021 7:53am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2021 8:02am
I have been working on consistently again for the past 6-8 weeks. What I am wondering is my heart rate never gets super high, even when...

What I am wondering is my heart rate never gets super high, even when I try to get it to, or when riding, all of my friends that are in ten times better shape then me get theirs way higher easier.

I can ride my road bike on the trainer for 45 minutes and it takes me about ten to get it in the 120's to 130 where I try to stay for most of that time, then usually last 2-3 minutes ill go WFO and I can get it to like 160-165 before my legs are total jello and Im hyperventialting.

None of my buddies believe me and say my monitor must be bad, but I have a new chest strap and new battery in monitor it works great.
What medicine are you on? Some are more aggressive than others.

I take 50mg of Metoprolol daily (do not have BP issues, have CHD issues with a plastic aorta and hybrid aortic valve). Resting heart rate is 40-45 (it will dip down to 35 when I am sleeping), and 175-185 when riding moto. I also do an EKG and my BP daily, and they are all within spec.
MT952
1/18/2021 8:41am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2021 8:44am
Heart Rate Sleeping. As low as 45. But usually 48 or so. I don’t wear my watch to bed much (Apple Watch 4)

Resting 48-50
Walking 102-110
Elliptical 118-140
MTB/Road biking. 135-165
Moto 170-190

I’m now 52. At 50 when I would work out my chest would hurt. Then I figured out as long as I kept my HR below 100 it didn’t hurt. Went to doctor. End result was a 100% blockage of the LAD confirmed from my catheterization procedure. Cardiologist told me to stop asking questions when he was trying to get the wire through the blockage. He couldn’t. So I had open heart Ended up doing an off pump single bypass cabg.

They had 2 55” Samsungs hanging on the wall that I could see and watch him put the die and different tools in. It was cool as hell, so obviously being an engineer I had to ask questions. I could see the arteries on my heart but had no idea how they should look so I couldn’t really see the blockage until they showed me. Luckily I had some awesome collaterals built up from riding, working out etcc. That basically bypassed my blockage and would cause any pain unless I worked out or elevated my HR. When that would happen I would go into arrhythmia and cause pain. Then if the activity was stopped, it would go away within 20-30 seconds. During my stress test I got to see what that looked like on the monitor.

Other thing was my weight was up and down. I would bust my ass working out etc.. and loose some weight, then not work out for a 4 5 days and gain it all back. I was as high as 245 lbs but was 205 pre surgery. Now I’m 172. The weight just came off after surgery. I also eat better now than before, cut my sodium intake way down.

PSA. If someone in your family has history of heart disease. I suggest you get checked out. I didn’t know until after my surgery. Although at 50 I probably wouldn’t have done anything different.

My cholesterol pre statins ranged from 180-254 I’m on Crestor now, Lipitor was horrible, it was like I got hit by a bus every day. And I couldn’t get too far from the bathroom. Whoa, the stuff was bad. But Crestor is much much better.

HDL 44
LDL 179

Post surgery and with statin

Total. 144

HDL 50
LDL 75

Mike

PS my cell is three three zero two zero seven three one four three if anyone needs it. i always tell everyone that i know and hopefully it helps someone who may need the advice. 50 kinda sucks when your friends are no longer around.
motomike894
1/18/2021 1:41pm
I have been working on consistently again for the past 6-8 weeks. What I am wondering is my heart rate never gets super high, even when...

What medicine are you on? Some are more aggressive than others. I take 50mg of Metoprolol daily (do not have BP issues, have CHD issues with...
What medicine are you on? Some are more aggressive than others.

I take 50mg of Metoprolol daily (do not have BP issues, have CHD issues with a plastic aorta and hybrid aortic valve). Resting heart rate is 40-45 (it will dip down to 35 when I am sleeping), and 175-185 when riding moto. I also do an EKG and my BP daily, and they are all within spec.
I am on carevidol 6.25 mg two times a day, when I randomly check my BP its usually on the high side of normal or even high still sometimes.

I have been taking this for Im guessing about 12-14 years now.

BikePilot
1/18/2021 4:46pm
I’d definitely see a doctor. That seems seems abnormal to me. I’m 185lbs, 5’10” and almost 40. On the exercise bike I peak in the low 200s, and tend to hang out between 160-170 during the bulk of my workouts. I have not recorded heart rate during moto but I’m sure it’s peaking over 200.
Monk
1/19/2021 4:37am

Adaptation... As you get better at things, you body becomes more efficient at them.
cloud41
1/19/2021 5:12am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2021 5:20am
Riding on the trainer is basically pure legs relative to moto which is your entire body. It will be harder to kick up your heart rate on the bicycle (adrenaline is also notably less). It also comes down to conditioning. If you cycle a lot, you’ll be able to exert more power with less effort (lower heart rate) along with having the ability to unleash and raise your body’s capability (high heart rate). Everyone’s body (genetics) is different.

Post a reply to: Heart rates

The Latest