Hearing Loss.. From My Thumper?

Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
12/18/2011 11:19am
Moto Geek should have 10 Championships from all the time he spends on his bike running full bore. Carmichael, Windham and McGrath guys are Fags! Why aren't they deaf yet? Must be slacking off and not riding.

Blaming the bike? Dumbest thread ever. You fucknuts are going to be the reason dirt cycles are banned from the world. One look at this board by someone who is looking for ammunition to put us under will be done when they get to vital.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
12/18/2011 11:30am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 11:31am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the...
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the exhaust side. At one point I did have a louder white brothers carbon pipe. Was curious if anyone else has notice this. I first noticed this by covering up one ear versus the other and notice the sound in my right ear had much less hearing. Not all gone, but almost like I can't hear the treble level noises anymore in that ear.

I guess all these years, I always thought the helmet was a enough to protect my ears. Wondering this year if I should wear noise reduction devices in my ears.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this?
dv12.com wrote:
What about my hair loss? Where does it come from? YZ250 or 4Strokes? ;-)
Bro.. It was the loose lid, rubbin on your dome!
Sandberm
12/18/2011 11:36am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 11:36am
I cant decide which is worse,... the emphysema I got from breathing in 2-stroke smoke,... the hearing loss from the 4-strokes... or the liver damage from being married Unsure
Daystar99
12/18/2011 11:46am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the...
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the exhaust side. At one point I did have a louder white brothers carbon pipe. Was curious if anyone else has notice this. I first noticed this by covering up one ear versus the other and notice the sound in my right ear had much less hearing. Not all gone, but almost like I can't hear the treble level noises anymore in that ear.

I guess all these years, I always thought the helmet was a enough to protect my ears. Wondering this year if I should wear noise reduction devices in my ears.

dv12.com wrote:
4 strokes, and youthstream Smile
I know for a fact that racing was causing my hearing loss / tinnitus so I sarted using ear plugs. Just another peice of protective equipment really.

The Shop

Gabriel J
12/18/2011 11:53am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 11:54am
Tiki wrote:
Moto Geek should have 10 Championships from all the time he spends on his bike running full bore. Carmichael, Windham and McGrath guys are Fags! Why...
Moto Geek should have 10 Championships from all the time he spends on his bike running full bore. Carmichael, Windham and McGrath guys are Fags! Why aren't they deaf yet? Must be slacking off and not riding.

Blaming the bike? Dumbest thread ever. You fucknuts are going to be the reason dirt cycles are banned from the world. One look at this board by someone who is looking for ammunition to put us under will be done when they get to vital.
I read Moto Geek's post and this is what I got out of: I notice some hearing loss on my right side. I thought my helmet was enough to protect me. Could my bike be the reason it's on the right side?

Nowhere did he compare himself to, or was critical of any professionals. Especially in regards to his post.

Reading your post leads me to believe that you are the "fucknut". If you think the exposure isn't able to cause hearing loss, then millions of doctors and scientists would love to hear the rest of your immense knowledge Einstein.

And on the "people looking to put us under"...Shouldn't you be working on your bomb shelter or burying your guns so they can't take those after they take away your dirt bike?
Top End
12/18/2011 12:44pm
When I got to the track once the quads where out. I don't know why but I went to check them out. They where so FRICKIN loud, I just turned and walked away. Funny because I never had the same problem at the drag strip, dirt tracks, and flat tracks.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
12/18/2011 1:10pm
Tiki wrote:
Moto Geek should have 10 Championships from all the time he spends on his bike running full bore. Carmichael, Windham and McGrath guys are Fags! Why...

Gabriel J wrote:
I read Moto Geek's post and this is what I got out of: I notice some hearing loss on my right side. I thought my helmet...
I read Moto Geek's post and this is what I got out of: I notice some hearing loss on my right side. I thought my helmet was enough to protect me. Could my bike be the reason it's on the right side?

Nowhere did he compare himself to, or was critical of any professionals. Especially in regards to his post.

Reading your post leads me to believe that you are the "fucknut". If you think the exposure isn't able to cause hearing loss, then millions of doctors and scientists would love to hear the rest of your immense knowledge Einstein.

And on the "people looking to put us under"...Shouldn't you be working on your bomb shelter or burying your guns so they can't take those after they take away your dirt bike?
I fully comprehended his post. And again think about how much time he would have had on the bike to accumulate any hearing loss, not discounting wind noise. Could it be more of a lifestyle choice to the hearing loss? Iphones, mp3 players prolonged use of headphones, loud music, work and general environmental. Blaming the bikes muffler seems reasonable.

However the use of ear plugs are a great tip and are used by many, especially road riders due to excessive wind noise.
jeffro503
12/18/2011 2:40pm
My personal experience........

I never had my ears hurt / ring so bad until I listened to a throttle wide open 125 with a shorty silencer on it. Louder than any 4 stroke on this planet hands down. To me.....the two stroke , high pitch sound hurts my ears a lot more than the 4 strokes ever did. I LOVE both bikes.........just the 2 strokes seemed louder.
jeffro503
12/18/2011 2:43pm
Tiki wrote:

Gabriel J wrote:
I read Moto Geek's post and this is what I got out of: I notice some hearing loss on my right side. I thought my helmet...

Tiki wrote:
I fully comprehended his post. And again think about how much time he would have had on the bike to accumulate any hearing loss, not discounting...
I fully comprehended his post. And again think about how much time he would have had on the bike to accumulate any hearing loss, not discounting wind noise. Could it be more of a lifestyle choice to the hearing loss? Iphones, mp3 players prolonged use of headphones, loud music, work and general environmental. Blaming the bikes muffler seems reasonable.

However the use of ear plugs are a great tip and are used by many, especially road riders due to excessive wind noise.
You forgot one thing Tiki.......Age has a lot to do with it as well. In fact....it's probably most of it.
jeffro503
12/18/2011 2:45pm
Moto_Geek wrote:

dv12.com wrote:
Probably having to line up against MC and RC had a lot to do with it. Just kidding man......WoohooWoohoo
TerryK
12/18/2011 3:24pm
Moto_Geek wrote:

Have you actually had your hearing tested? The reason I ask is that I too believed I had hearing loss (MANY years of moto, ice, road and drag racing, late model stock car mechanic, plus many years of construction, steel fitting etc) so I had a hearing test. Turns out my hearing was fine. What the problem is is the way my brain processes the incoming data. When I am in a quiet setting or there is only one or two sound sources I can hear perfectly fine, but add a few more sources and I cant hear shit is seems. What is happening is that with more than one source, my brain has trouble separating the different sounds, resulting in a jumbled mess that just sounds like noise.

You know people that can watch tv and wont hear you if you call their name? That persons brain can separate the sounds properly, whereas if I'm watching tv and someone says my name I hear it fine, but then I cant tell what they are saying on the tv. If I'm in a crowd of people and someone is talking to me, they best be yelling because all I hear is a bunch of unintelligible voices.

I believe it's called Auditory Processing Disorder or APD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder
jeffro503
12/18/2011 3:32pm
Moto_Geek wrote:

TerryK wrote:
Have you actually had your hearing tested? The reason I ask is that I too believed I had hearing loss (MANY years of moto, ice, road...
Have you actually had your hearing tested? The reason I ask is that I too believed I had hearing loss (MANY years of moto, ice, road and drag racing, late model stock car mechanic, plus many years of construction, steel fitting etc) so I had a hearing test. Turns out my hearing was fine. What the problem is is the way my brain processes the incoming data. When I am in a quiet setting or there is only one or two sound sources I can hear perfectly fine, but add a few more sources and I cant hear shit is seems. What is happening is that with more than one source, my brain has trouble separating the different sounds, resulting in a jumbled mess that just sounds like noise.

You know people that can watch tv and wont hear you if you call their name? That persons brain can separate the sounds properly, whereas if I'm watching tv and someone says my name I hear it fine, but then I cant tell what they are saying on the tv. If I'm in a crowd of people and someone is talking to me, they best be yelling because all I hear is a bunch of unintelligible voices.

I believe it's called Auditory Processing Disorder or APD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder
I think your brain has more issues than that Terry. Woohoo
scooter5002
12/18/2011 4:53pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Frodaddy.......................I met him in Thunder Bay back around Labour Day. You have NO fuckin idea.Silly
jeffro503
12/18/2011 5:03pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Frodaddy.......................I met him in Thunder Bay back around Labour Day. You have NO fuckin idea.Silly
HAHA!!......everyone knows Terry has a screw loose.....this just proves it even more!
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
12/18/2011 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 5:18pm
Well I have read everyones comments. Some informative, some are drunk in front of their keyboards and some people hear dead people and DV is getting a case of rogaine for Xmas.

Riding is so much fun and the sound adds to the thrill really!! Well apparently this is basically turning into a public message. I will definitely be using ear plugs of some form going forward. I just like to hear whats going on around me and I constantly monitor the sound coming from my bike. I can't tell you how many times the slight repeative new ting or klunk sound leads to something either going wrong with the bike or something is about to come off the bike like a loose muffler or loose spoke about to break. These slight sounds can prevent a mechanical failure. And your then going to say I don't maintain my bike, but I religiously tebowing to the basic checks before riding to make sure all bolts and spokes are tight.

And it's not just 4 strokes I realize. But I definitely think the loud and long exposure is the culprit over the years. I definitely can relate to an occasional loud concert or in my early days probably had the ear buds turned up when riding bmx. Ah you only live once, definitely just going to try to protect my hearing for the later years. But in 10 years hearing problems and well hair loss will be fixed with technology.
MotoChief
12/18/2011 5:28pm

Take responsibility for your actions.
neysbo
12/18/2011 5:44pm
Tiki wrote:

pretty much spot on

Post a reply to: Hearing Loss.. From My Thumper?

The Latest