Hearing Loss.. From My Thumper?

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 7:08am
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the exhaust side. At one point I did have a louder white brothers carbon pipe. Was curious if anyone else has notice this. I first noticed this by covering up one ear versus the other and notice the sound in my right ear had much less hearing. Not all gone, but almost like I can't hear the treble level noises anymore in that ear.

I guess all these years, I always thought the helmet was a enough to protect my ears. Wondering this year if I should wear noise reduction devices in my ears.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this?
|
NeWskoolmxer
12/17/2011 8:34pm
I started wearing a set of these to reduce noise and it really helped me focus as-well.

Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
12/17/2011 8:42pm
Tyla Rattray uses ear plugs.. But i think factory bikes are a little louder, and theres 40 of them.. I could see a little hearing loss from a louder pipe, but what do you do for work? Construction? Or Anything that may have caused the hearing loss?

The Shop

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
12/17/2011 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2011 8:45pm
Not trying to stir a lawsuit, more just seeing if others had experience this or it was just me.. Was just wanting to confirm this is the source so I can prevent further damage to my hearing. I'm only 36 and my wife says it's my selective hearing.

No, nothing work related, work on comptuer all day. Only other thing close would be my lawnmover or snowblower. But I'm not doing this several hours at a time.
12/17/2011 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2011 8:48pm
I always wear ear plugs when i ride both MX and street bikes. I use high fidelity plugs that pretty much just lower the volume of noise about 75%, so i can still hear everything but my ears are not blown out.

I have these: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETYPlug-Protection-Earplugs/dp/…

Remember, once you lose your hearing, you can not get it back without hearing aids. Some people may think ear plugs are gay, but i say hearing aids are much more homo!
2T42
12/17/2011 9:01pm
Google search "what spl causes hearing loss". There are many good studies on hearing loss. There is a difference between short and long term exposure, but anything above 85dB can cause irreversible damage.

Compare that with the sound pressure level of your bike which I have measured on my meters at above 126db+ at mid throttle. I have a military meter A B and C weighted, a car audio meter for measuring up to 190db ABC and a handheld meter C weighted and accurate to 140 and all of them have the current 450's above 126-130 at half throttle 1 meter from the exhaust outlet. At half throttle, the 450's are usually 10 -12 Decibels louder than a 250 2 stroke PINNED.

It is true with horsepower and sound pressure levels... There is no replacement for displacement.

"Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) – this is hearing loss due to exposure to either a sudden, loud noise or exposure to loud noises for a period of time. A dangerous sound is anything that is 85 dB (sound pressure level – SPL) or higher"

Note: An increase of the sound level by 6 dB corresponds to a doubling of the sound pressure. A motor that has an SPL output of 126dB (450 half throttle) is effectively twice as loud as a motor with an SPL level of 120dB (250 2 stroke at 3/4 throttle). Two 250 2 strokes at more than half throttle are not as loud as one 450 at half throttle. This is not taking into consideration aftermarket pipes as 450 pipes can be significantly louder than stock whereas louder 2 stroke pipes rarely add to power or SPL output.
DrSweden
12/18/2011 2:53am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 9:18am
I made a post about this some years ago because I felt I lost some hearing after been riding. I think people didn't agree with me though? Anyway, I felt convinced the bike was to blame and I ALWAYS use ear plugs since I figured this out.

Maybe people think it's a no biggie, but the frequency we loose, is within the spoken word one, which means we will or have already become one of those: What, speak up, old fucks...

Sometimes in restaurants, or pubs when a large group speak, the problems becomes more evidently.
WSR
12/18/2011 3:40am
I seriously doubt your bike caused hearing loss, especially on one side. The exhaust is out the back, not really on the right side in relation to your body on the bike. Do you have a muffler? Do you wear a helmet?
partialperson
12/18/2011 5:18am
DrSweden wrote:
I made a post about this some years ago because I felt I lost some hearing after been riding. I think people didn't agree with me...
I made a post about this some years ago because I felt I lost some hearing after been riding. I think people didn't agree with me though? Anyway, I felt convinced the bike was to blame and I ALWAYS use ear plugs since I figured this out.

Maybe people think it's a no biggie, but the frequency we loose, is within the spoken word one, which means we will or have already become one of those: What, speak up, old fucks...

Sometimes in restaurants, or pubs when a large group speak, the problems becomes more evidently.
At the starting gate I usually have to plug my right ear. In a room full of people talking I can barely hear the person sitting across the table from me. Oh, and with that I hear dead people.
Vet57
12/18/2011 5:36am
I always wear ear plugs when i ride both MX and street bikes. I use high fidelity plugs that pretty much just lower the volume of...
I always wear ear plugs when i ride both MX and street bikes. I use high fidelity plugs that pretty much just lower the volume of noise about 75%, so i can still hear everything but my ears are not blown out.

I have these: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETYPlug-Protection-Earplugs/dp/…

Remember, once you lose your hearing, you can not get it back without hearing aids. Some people may think ear plugs are gay, but i say hearing aids are much more homo!
This ^...Hearing loss is no joke and is preventable. Wait until Tinnitus is added to the mix.
Highsider
12/18/2011 6:24am
You have the music in your truck too loud on the way to the track.
mx400bee
12/18/2011 6:28am
Vet57 wrote:
This ^...Hearing loss is no joke and is preventable. Wait until Tinnitus is added to the mix.
I`ve got Tinnitus and it sucks ass. My hearing loss is from being on Construction site`s all my life and not using ear plugs. I use a FMF Q on my 450 and can`t tell much difference if any in the power. Plus, it keeps the neighbors from bitching and threatening me with noise fatigue lawsuits.
bultokid
12/18/2011 6:35am
Reason number 654 that I dislike 4t's
Gabriel J
12/18/2011 6:39am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 6:45am
2-Stroke, 4-Stroke...They are all loud enough to cause damage with years of exposure. I'm not sure what the NRR (noise reduction rating) is on an average moto helmet, but it certainly better than nothing. I know that of the different helmet models I've owned, some are significantly quieter than others. Wearing additional hearing protection definitely makes sense.

No way around it, prolonged exposure is going to cause hearing loss...It's not something many people notice until it's too late. How about the damage from spectating and working on running bikes with no protection? I can't go to a national without earplugs, the volume makes me want to cry. When I'm at home running the bikes I wear ear muffs from my days as an aviation mechanic

Just a generic chart to give you an idea..Think of the current DB standards (94db last I knew?) for stock bikes below 4500rpm and figure on reducing that a bit with a helmet..Still loud enough to cause damage over time..

*Just looked it up real quick....race bikes are pushing 110db when running, while meeting the AMA limits. That'll do some damage.*

DrSweden
12/18/2011 7:22am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 9:20am
bultokid wrote:
Reason number 654 that I dislike 4t's
As Gabe mentioned, both cause of the damage despite the 4 banger is a bit worse. The general complaint about sound and four strokes is the sound travels further, not nessesarIy being louder for the rider. I believe the damage to my hearing happened while riding a cr250 with aftermarket system...
Hut
12/18/2011 7:37am
Consider this; the general rule is, any noise loud enough to cause you to raise your voice during a normal conversation is capable of causing hearing loss. Earplugs are not a bad idea.
RaceFace
12/18/2011 7:42am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Not trying to stir a lawsuit, more just seeing if others had experience this or it was just me.. Was just wanting to confirm this is...
Not trying to stir a lawsuit, more just seeing if others had experience this or it was just me.. Was just wanting to confirm this is the source so I can prevent further damage to my hearing. I'm only 36 and my wife says it's my selective hearing.

No, nothing work related, work on comptuer all day. Only other thing close would be my lawnmover or snowblower. But I'm not doing this several hours at a time.
"My wife says....."

I have pinpointed the most likely cause of your hearing loss. Does she often sit on your right? Right now mine is on the couch across the room on my left and I am about to insert my noise reduction device.Evil
pilotdude
12/18/2011 8:28am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 9:28am
I have been very closely monitoring my high frequency hearing loss with tinitis since 1986 when I became on officer candidate with a flight contract in the Marines and was regularly tested. My dad is a doc and I have been very aware of loud noise exposure for a long time.

I started wearing ear plugs in 2003 when I last started racing, which is also when 4 strokes were moving in. I've been wearing them ever since and wouldn't dream of racing and riding without them. Eli Tomac uses them also. I can still hear all the bikes just fine, but the noise doesn't approach the level that causes damage to my hearing. Also-and this is big-I believe the decreased noise level aids in reducing noise-related fatigue. It also helps calm the mind to not have a herd of 450s revving in my unprotected ears on the line and during the race. If you think wearing them will cause you to ride less effectively, please note that I've won 4 high point championships in 5 years at Washougal wearing ear plugs.

It takes a little while to get used to them while riding, but once you do, you won't go back.
DrSweden
12/18/2011 9:26am
Hut wrote:
Consider this; the general rule is, any noise loud enough to cause you to raise your voice during a normal conversation is capable of causing hearing...
Consider this; the general rule is, any noise loud enough to cause you to raise your voice during a normal conversation is capable of causing hearing loss. Earplugs are not a bad idea.
Good point and easy to remember! One thing I noticed is that I can twist the throttle further the less sound, dunno if that holds any water? But loud noise makes me turn things down because it annoys me and kind of scares me at the same time as well!Blush
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
12/18/2011 9:51am
I started damaging my hearing from going to short track races back in the late 60's early 70's as a young boy
when the bikes ran open stingers on the expansion chambers,no silencer at all, and four strokes have not improved it.
bigborefan
12/18/2011 9:54am
I have been wearing ear plugs for the last three years. I cannot ride without them now. They are just part of my kit now.
CnCRacing
12/18/2011 9:56am
I have permanant nerve damage in both ears and wear hearing aids in both. Mine was caused by starting out my career as a oil field diver in the Gulf of Mexico over twenty years ago. I worked on a derick ship where they drove pilings for days on end. A combination of deep diving and working around loud equipment with no hearing protection all my life and now I can't hear much at all with out my aids and let me tell you it sucks. I do know my hearing aid Dr. told me exposure to a loud continous noise is worse than one loud bang. The Dr. said to wear ear plugs if I was using a lawn mower or weed eater or chain saw anything continous. When I ride my 250f or 450 I take out my aids because with them in the sound when I crank on the thorttle is almost too much. Sometimes I have trouble hearing someone trying to talk to me on the line when I don't have them in but I seem to ride better with out them. Take care of your ears, they can't be replaced.
tns
12/18/2011 10:06am
i have hearing loss since 04 when i had my yzf250 with aftermarket pipe an like an idiot use to run it up in the garage
blair683
12/18/2011 10:16am
I haven't had an issue with hearing loss but I know I can tell a huge difference in bike noise without a helmet compared to with a helmet. I couldn't believe how loud the bike was without a helmet.
dv12.com
Fantasy
134th
12/18/2011 10:37am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the...
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the exhaust side. At one point I did have a louder white brothers carbon pipe. Was curious if anyone else has notice this. I first noticed this by covering up one ear versus the other and notice the sound in my right ear had much less hearing. Not all gone, but almost like I can't hear the treble level noises anymore in that ear.

I guess all these years, I always thought the helmet was a enough to protect my ears. Wondering this year if I should wear noise reduction devices in my ears.

What about my hair loss? Where does it come from? YZ250 or 4Strokes? ;-)
mxb2
12/18/2011 10:39am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Since riding my honda 450f thumper for the last 8 years or so. I've notice a loss of hearing on my right side which is the...

dv12.com wrote:
Guess you got a good lawsuit lol, sue the helmet company, the good ole american way!
12/18/2011 10:41am
Moto_Geek wrote:

dv12.com wrote:
4 strokes, and youthstream Smile
Top End
12/18/2011 11:04am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 11:05am
Moto_Geek wrote:

I had a physical and my doctor told me I have a slight hearing loss on my right. I have been riding bikes both dirt and street for over 30 years. Never gave it much thought till now.

Post a reply to: Hearing Loss.. From My Thumper?

The Latest