Health insurance for moto

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
11/15/2018 1:27pm
MX-LIFE. wrote:
With out getting into a political conversation but wouldn't the affordable health care act have prevented you from being denied coverage?
ACBraap wrote:
I believe the ACA prevented health insurance companies from not accepting customers based on preexisting conditions or other demographic data that indicated a higher risk of...
I believe the ACA prevented health insurance companies from not accepting customers based on preexisting conditions or other demographic data that indicated a higher risk of payout by the insurance company. Not the same thing as requiring the ins company to cover all injuries from all activities.
Exactly. I'm sure this angle has been tried and fails but it seems like somebody could make a case for some sort of discrimination by certain sports being coverable and others not.

All in the all the healthcare system in the US is complete racket. The idea that the ACA was going to "fix the problem" was always a total joke. Healthcare costs is the problem, health insurance was the scape goat. I'm a fairly strong conservative but I believe healthcare should be socialized.
Sweetd31
11/15/2018 3:48pm
731chopper wrote:
Exactly. I'm sure this angle has been tried and fails but it seems like somebody could make a case for some sort of discrimination by certain...
Exactly. I'm sure this angle has been tried and fails but it seems like somebody could make a case for some sort of discrimination by certain sports being coverable and others not.

All in the all the healthcare system in the US is complete racket. The idea that the ACA was going to "fix the problem" was always a total joke. Healthcare costs is the problem, health insurance was the scape goat. I'm a fairly strong conservative but I believe healthcare should be socialized.
Rip doctors’ salaries, and quality of life the day that (hopefully never) happens
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/15/2018 3:54pm
Sweetd31 wrote:
Rip doctors’ salaries, and quality of life the day that (hopefully never) happens
Maybe, maybe not:

"The Canadian Institute for Health Information has been tracking doctors’ destinations since 1992. Since then, 60 percent to 70 percent of the physicians who emigrate have headed south of the border. In the mid-1990s, the number of Canadian doctors leaving for the United States spiked at about 400 to 500 a year. But in recent years this number has declined, with only 169 physicians leaving for the States in 2003, 138 in 2004 and 122 both in 2005 and 2006. These numbers represent less than 0.5 percent of all doctors working in Canada.

So when emigration “spiked,” 400 to 500 doctors were leaving Canada for the United States. There are more than 800,000 physicians in the United States right now, so I’m skeptical that every doctor knows one of those émigrés.

In 2004, net emigration became net immigration. Let me say that again. More doctors were moving into Canada than were moving out."

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-03-2012…
Sweetd31
11/15/2018 4:41pm
RichieW13 wrote:
Maybe, maybe not: "The Canadian Institute for Health Information has been tracking doctors’ destinations since 1992. Since then, 60 percent to 70 percent of the physicians...
Maybe, maybe not:

"The Canadian Institute for Health Information has been tracking doctors’ destinations since 1992. Since then, 60 percent to 70 percent of the physicians who emigrate have headed south of the border. In the mid-1990s, the number of Canadian doctors leaving for the United States spiked at about 400 to 500 a year. But in recent years this number has declined, with only 169 physicians leaving for the States in 2003, 138 in 2004 and 122 both in 2005 and 2006. These numbers represent less than 0.5 percent of all doctors working in Canada.

So when emigration “spiked,” 400 to 500 doctors were leaving Canada for the United States. There are more than 800,000 physicians in the United States right now, so I’m skeptical that every doctor knows one of those émigrés.

In 2004, net emigration became net immigration. Let me say that again. More doctors were moving into Canada than were moving out."

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-03-2012…
Very interesting stuff. I’ve asked several of my colleagues if they would be willing to take a pay cut in exchange for significantly reduced hours, unequivocally they all say yes. So you want social medicine, wanna reduce my pay, okay I’m only working 20 hours a week. Private practice is nearly dead, competition virtually eliminated. It’s a love triangle where big pharma-insurance companies-hospitals are not willing to lose a dime. Who suffers? The doctors, and the citizens

The dam is gonna burst at some point

The Shop

Sweetd31
11/15/2018 4:42pm
And in the academic-medical setting, you better fall in line, and don’t ask questions
kb228
11/15/2018 4:50pm
kb228 wrote:
Obamacare has zero positive anything about it.
RichieW13 wrote:
That's not true. - It prevented insurance companies from denying you for pre-existing conditions. - It allowed children to stay on their parent's insurance until age...
That's not true.

- It prevented insurance companies from denying you for pre-existing conditions.
- It allowed children to stay on their parent's insurance until age 26.
- It prevented insurance companies from using lifetime limits.
- It forced companies with 50+ employees to offer health insurance.

Now, we can debate whether the cost of those additions was worth it or not, but those things are definitely positives to consumers.
At the cost of unrealistic deductibles and outrageous premiums for people buying their own insurance, none of those positives are even worth mentioning
Sweetd31
11/15/2018 4:56pm
kb228 wrote:
At the cost of unrealistic deductibles and outrageous premiums for people buying their own insurance, none of those positives are even worth mentioning
Sure they are, I was diagnosed with a rare congenital disease of my optic nerve while uninsured. If it were not for Obama’s reform, I would have been F***ed

Got on insurance, had the surgery no problem
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
11/15/2018 6:48pm
Sweetd31 wrote:
Nobody wants to make less or lay people off but the costs are unsustainable.
11/15/2018 7:57pm
All being equal, a doctor will make 10 times in the USA vs Canada. The government decides what they will pay for a procedure, vs what you want to charge or bill the insurance company for.(Why insurance denies paying)

Thats why in the states, many doctors dont accept medicaid. (Welfare/Social Medicine)

Basically the Govt says, we arent paying 9,000 dollars for a band aid.. 30,000 dollars for 2 stitches. 700,000 for a 15 minute doctor visit.
ns503
11/16/2018 4:20am
MediumRare wrote:
All being equal, a doctor will make 10 times in the USA vs Canada. The government decides what they will pay for a procedure, vs what...
All being equal, a doctor will make 10 times in the USA vs Canada. The government decides what they will pay for a procedure, vs what you want to charge or bill the insurance company for.(Why insurance denies paying)

Thats why in the states, many doctors dont accept medicaid. (Welfare/Social Medicine)

Basically the Govt says, we arent paying 9,000 dollars for a band aid.. 30,000 dollars for 2 stitches. 700,000 for a 15 minute doctor visit.
You think all that money goes right to doctors?
Sweetd31
11/16/2018 8:31am
MediumRare wrote:
All being equal, a doctor will make 10 times in the USA vs Canada. The government decides what they will pay for a procedure, vs what...

ns503 wrote:
You think all that money goes right to doctors?
Back in the “Mercedes” 80s it did, them days are long gone
Flesh206
11/16/2018 8:59am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 9:00am
I recently broke my fib in the beginning of September. As far as they know I fell off a ladder. Which I did....
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
11/16/2018 9:22am
MediumRare wrote:

I have several co-workers living in Canada (and Europe) and after hearing them talk about their experience with government run health insurance (and 40%+ tax rate) I will stick with what I have in the US. Just had lunch with them yesterday and got a ear load on just the wait times..craziness!

I am sure you can tell us all the same stories..
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/16/2018 10:03am
Brad460 wrote:
I have several co-workers living in Canada (and Europe) and after hearing them talk about their experience with government run health insurance (and 40%+ tax rate)...
I have several co-workers living in Canada (and Europe) and after hearing them talk about their experience with government run health insurance (and 40%+ tax rate) I will stick with what I have in the US. Just had lunch with them yesterday and got a ear load on just the wait times..craziness!

I am sure you can tell us all the same stories..
It's usually complicated to compare tax rates across countries, because there are lots of different factors involved.

However, Canada's highest federal tax rate is 33%, and that is for incomes over $205,000 (for an individual). In United States, our tax rate is 35% for $200,000-$500,000.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
11/16/2018 10:54am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 11:00am
I haven't read the entire forum yet, but I can tell you what I know as a licensed insurance broker.

Motocross racing is considered a hazardous sport and ANY insurance company will not take on that risk. Whether it is for health coverage, life, or for disability. You can still qualify for these products, but there will be an exclusion if something happened while racing.

What makes no sense at all is that they only go after "RACERS". If you are a random Joe Blow and DONT RACE, but just ride locally they will take you on without exclusions. I haven't worked on a claim yet where that was the case, but I could see that still getting messy.

Basically, if you don't work for a company that has group benefits like long-term care and disability you are screwed finding a product that will cover you on a bike. When you're on a group plan they aren't allowed to ask about medications and activities, because they are not allowed to "anti-select" who gets put on the plan.

I'm from Canada and we have nothing here. I see in the States this guy specializes in this stuff, but I know absolutely nothing about. I've reached out to him before but he couldn't help me since I'm in Canada.
https://www.ridersurance.com
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
11/16/2018 11:08am
kb228 wrote:
I currently have medical mutual through my employer. Recently i was denied coverage for an accident i had in september that resulted in a broken leg...
I currently have medical mutual through my employer. Recently i was denied coverage for an accident i had in september that resulted in a broken leg and collarbone. They said even though i wasnt racing its still a hazardous activity and isnt covered. Unfortunately im stuck with a $70,000 bill for inpatient at the hospital. Although im trying to appeal the claim, i want to start looking for insurance thats applicable to a 25 year old who doesnt get sick. Something that covers things young people do that cause injuries.

Anyone have experience with a good company? Im in ohio
- If you have benefits with your employer access your "Policy Booklet". Your administrator at work or whoever deals with this stuff can get you access to this easily. Look into the exclusion sections and highlight anything that relates to you. It will most likely say "exclusions to benefits for "Motor Racing". Sometimes they even have the definition of each activity exclusion.

When I purchased my own health/life/disability/sickness policy I had to include how many times I raced (so per moto not race day) the previous year, the current year, and the planned upcoming year.

ANYONE who says to LIE either on an application or claim is causing a whole lot of trouble for themselves. Never never never do that.

In your case I would suggest talking to your work, someone in the insurance business, and/or a lawyer/legal body. I'm not familiar with the USA health system, but if I can help you out just send me a PM.
kb228
11/16/2018 11:21am
foreman52 wrote:
I haven't read the entire forum yet, but I can tell you what I know [b]as a licensed insurance broker[/b]. Motocross racing is considered a hazardous...
I haven't read the entire forum yet, but I can tell you what I know as a licensed insurance broker.

Motocross racing is considered a hazardous sport and ANY insurance company will not take on that risk. Whether it is for health coverage, life, or for disability. You can still qualify for these products, but there will be an exclusion if something happened while racing.

What makes no sense at all is that they only go after "RACERS". If you are a random Joe Blow and DONT RACE, but just ride locally they will take you on without exclusions. I haven't worked on a claim yet where that was the case, but I could see that still getting messy.

Basically, if you don't work for a company that has group benefits like long-term care and disability you are screwed finding a product that will cover you on a bike. When you're on a group plan they aren't allowed to ask about medications and activities, because they are not allowed to "anti-select" who gets put on the plan.

I'm from Canada and we have nothing here. I see in the States this guy specializes in this stuff, but I know absolutely nothing about. I've reached out to him before but he couldn't help me since I'm in Canada.
https://www.ridersurance.com
The main thing is they denied the claim even though i was not racing. Any kind of racing or motocross racing is not covered in my plan, and those things were specifically mentioned by my insurance company. But the key thing was their list included “not limited to.” So to me, it sounds like they saw a $70,000 they could decide to not pay. They literally paid for my surgeries and labs and xrays for the same accident. But not the $70,000 line item.
hard2kill
11/16/2018 11:22am
There is a simple quick fix to the whole insurance/medical debacle, but NOBODY wants to go down that road.

If EVERYBODY would opt out of insurance the major problems would fix themselves very quickly. Sadly the massive fear-mongering campaign that has gripped our culture over the past few decades has made this an unthinkable action for most.
Premix
11/16/2018 11:27am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 11:29am
kb228 wrote:
The main thing is they denied the claim even though i was not racing. Any kind of racing or motocross racing is not covered in my...
The main thing is they denied the claim even though i was not racing. Any kind of racing or motocross racing is not covered in my plan, and those things were specifically mentioned by my insurance company. But the key thing was their list included “not limited to.” So to me, it sounds like they saw a $70,000 they could decide to not pay. They literally paid for my surgeries and labs and xrays for the same accident. But not the $70,000 line item.
So wait, they didn’t deny the whole claim then? They paid for your surgery,labs, and x Rays.....just not your hospital stay....

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/16/2018 11:28am
hard2kill wrote:
There is a simple quick fix to the whole insurance/medical debacle, but NOBODY wants to go down that road. If EVERYBODY would opt out of insurance...
There is a simple quick fix to the whole insurance/medical debacle, but NOBODY wants to go down that road.

If EVERYBODY would opt out of insurance the major problems would fix themselves very quickly. Sadly the massive fear-mongering campaign that has gripped our culture over the past few decades has made this an unthinkable action for most.
What would that solve?
hard2kill
11/16/2018 11:58am
hard2kill wrote:
There is a simple quick fix to the whole insurance/medical debacle, but NOBODY wants to go down that road. If EVERYBODY would opt out of insurance...

RichieW13 wrote:
What would that solve?
If EVERYBODY was on board it would solve everything. I know this is not something that could realistically happen.
It would quickly pull expenses into check with reality, and it would put a stop to a lot of abuse of the insurance policy from both sides (hospitals and patients).

Put yourself in the place of an entrepreneur. If you are billing someone for a job and they are well off would you be inclined to "cut them a break". What about someone who is poor? We all (the medical field and the patients view the insurance company as the wealthy customer) This is an over generalization and the problems run far deeper.

Insurance would seem to be a good thought, if not for the heart of man. The fact that we feel we need insurance highlights that we might not always be willing to help each other out, at least not when its gonna "cost us to much".
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/16/2018 12:03pm
Yeah, I'm with you that individuals should have higher out-of-pocket expense, and therefore more decision-making in the price of services. But we still need coverage for catastrophic events.

If not a universal single-payer system, I think we should at least stop having our employers provide health insurance, health savings accounts should be recommended (or even required), individuals should pay more out of pocket. These things would help create more of a market system.
hard2kill
11/16/2018 12:16pm
Yes it does still seem to be a good thought for catastrophic events, but now we are on that slippery slope again. What constitutes a "catastrophic event". I guarantee to it would be whoever has the best lawyer. Heart of man muddling the waters again.

Health savings accounts should be recommended absolutely, but never required; you know freedom and stuffUnsure
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/16/2018 12:21pm
hard2kill wrote:
Yes it does still seem to be a good thought for catastrophic events, but now we are on that slippery slope again. What constitutes a "catastrophic...
Yes it does still seem to be a good thought for catastrophic events, but now we are on that slippery slope again. What constitutes a "catastrophic event". I guarantee to it would be whoever has the best lawyer. Heart of man muddling the waters again.

Health savings accounts should be recommended absolutely, but never required; you know freedom and stuffUnsure
Basically, your insurance would be to cover anything that exceeds your HSA balance.

One of the problems is that we, as a society, are not just going to let somebody bleed to death in the emergency room because they can't pay the bill. We treat them, and then find a way to collect. Not everybody can pay their bill. When that happens, the hospital absorbs the cost. And when the hospital absorbs costs, they really just pass that on to the people who can afford to pay. That's why some form of insurance and savings should be mandatory, and that's why health insurance, in general, should not be thought of the same way as most other consumer goods/services.
kb228
11/16/2018 12:26pm
kb228 wrote:
The main thing is they denied the claim even though i was not racing. Any kind of racing or motocross racing is not covered in my...
Premix wrote:
So wait, they didn’t deny the whole claim then? They paid for your surgery,labs, and x Rays.....just not your hospital stay....

That is correct. Doesnt make any sense to me but thats what happened.
JM485
11/16/2018 12:32pm
Just tell them “I crashed on my bike at a park”. They don’t need to be told anything more than that, it’s perfectly true and is exactly what happened. When I got hurt riding bmx they questioned the hell out of my dad trying to find some way not to pay, and he just kept telling them exactly that. You don’t need to lie to them, and they only need to know the basics of what happened and how you were injured.
hard2kill
11/16/2018 12:40pm
RichieW13 wrote:
Basically, your insurance would be to cover anything that exceeds your HSA balance. One of the problems is that we, as a society, are not just...
Basically, your insurance would be to cover anything that exceeds your HSA balance.

One of the problems is that we, as a society, are not just going to let somebody bleed to death in the emergency room because they can't pay the bill. We treat them, and then find a way to collect. Not everybody can pay their bill. When that happens, the hospital absorbs the cost. And when the hospital absorbs costs, they really just pass that on to the people who can afford to pay. That's why some form of insurance and savings should be mandatory, and that's why health insurance, in general, should not be thought of the same way as most other consumer goods/services.
One of the SOLUTIONS is that we, as a society, are not just going to let somebody bleed to death in the emergency room because they can't pay the bill. fixed it for you.Wink

While i understand your reasoning, anyone who enters the medical industry should do so with a full understanding of this reality. Also anyone who receives such treatment and abuses it: (can not and will not compensate the hospital to the best of their ability in a gracious way that does not further harm their livelihood), should also be dealt with by society going forward.

Again put yourself in the place of an entrepreneur. Someone comes in looking for charity, sure help them out. Then they misuse/abuse what was given, will you continue to help them out?
DW324
11/16/2018 1:54pm
kb228 wrote:
HB228, send me a PM and I will give you my number to call me at my office. Something is not adding up at all. I am health insurance agent based in Michigan with all of my clients (large group, small group and individuals) being in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana areas. I am at the track 2 times a week riding and I can assure you that I would not be riding or doing something that my "Individual" healthcare plan would not cover in the event of an accident.

We work with every "A" rated carrier in these 3 states, so we have direct contacts with them as well. We have claims specialists that deal with these things all day long and I have no problem guiding you thru what to look for and or what questions to ask.

Based on what you said, but not knowing anything about your plan, 2 things come to mind.

1. Do you have a policy that only covers the ACA (Affordable Care Act) minimum amount of coverage that is required by law to be compliant with the health care reform laws and not have to pay the fines associated with not having healthcare? These plans only cover the 10 mandatory minimum essential healthcare benefit required by law and are what a lot of companies with over 50 employees offer to skirt the employer mandate penalties for not offering ACA complaint coverage to their employees as of 1/1/14. For the most part they would only cover preventive care testing as well as a few other things depending on what bells and whistles are added onto the plan. The will not cover with out a doubt any hospital charges. That is for sure.

2. Have you checked to make sure that the provider that is saying you owe the $70k has the correct insurance information for you and/or are they billing to correct insurance? This happens a lot when the doctor has the old insurance on file and they are billing for services that are no longer covered since you are no longer active on the policy and you will indeed be seeing a bill for $70k since the old carrier doesn't show you in their system.

Also, have you cross referenced the EOB (explanation of benefits) for the specific date of service/claim to make sure that the billing/diagnostic codes that the insurance company has on file for your claim matches what the invoice from the providers are showing. If they don't match they will just deny the claim and kick it back to the provider and then they kick it back to you.

Are you being billing for in-network or out of network services or possibly both?

Never pay a claim until the EOB says it has been finalized and that EOB matches the bill from the provider. The provider has no clue what you have paid into or towards your yearly deductible. They just send everyone invoices until they get paid. They also use 3rd party billers a lot of time as well so things do get messed up, and claims issues happen more than you know. Its usually someone eating bons bons sitting on their couch all day plugging numbers into a keyboard and when the chocolate hits the wrong key you have an issue LOL SmileSmile

Again, without knowing anything about your policy I am just rattling off the first few things that popped into my head as I am reading all of these replies shaking my head.....

Like I said, send me a PM and I can call you or you can call me at my office and I am more than happy to help you out. This is something that your agent or the place you work at, their agent, gets paid to do directly from the insurance carrier for. If they are not willing to help you out then its time to find an agent that will.

I am not saying I will have all the answers or even the answers you want to hear but one way or another I know I can help you get down to the bottom of it. You cant beat free help!!!

Sorry for the long post!

T.J.
kb228
11/16/2018 2:13pm
kb228 wrote:
DW324 wrote:
HB228, send me a PM and I will give you my number to call me at my office. Something is not adding up at all. I...
HB228, send me a PM and I will give you my number to call me at my office. Something is not adding up at all. I am health insurance agent based in Michigan with all of my clients (large group, small group and individuals) being in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana areas. I am at the track 2 times a week riding and I can assure you that I would not be riding or doing something that my "Individual" healthcare plan would not cover in the event of an accident.

We work with every "A" rated carrier in these 3 states, so we have direct contacts with them as well. We have claims specialists that deal with these things all day long and I have no problem guiding you thru what to look for and or what questions to ask.

Based on what you said, but not knowing anything about your plan, 2 things come to mind.

1. Do you have a policy that only covers the ACA (Affordable Care Act) minimum amount of coverage that is required by law to be compliant with the health care reform laws and not have to pay the fines associated with not having healthcare? These plans only cover the 10 mandatory minimum essential healthcare benefit required by law and are what a lot of companies with over 50 employees offer to skirt the employer mandate penalties for not offering ACA complaint coverage to their employees as of 1/1/14. For the most part they would only cover preventive care testing as well as a few other things depending on what bells and whistles are added onto the plan. The will not cover with out a doubt any hospital charges. That is for sure.

2. Have you checked to make sure that the provider that is saying you owe the $70k has the correct insurance information for you and/or are they billing to correct insurance? This happens a lot when the doctor has the old insurance on file and they are billing for services that are no longer covered since you are no longer active on the policy and you will indeed be seeing a bill for $70k since the old carrier doesn't show you in their system.

Also, have you cross referenced the EOB (explanation of benefits) for the specific date of service/claim to make sure that the billing/diagnostic codes that the insurance company has on file for your claim matches what the invoice from the providers are showing. If they don't match they will just deny the claim and kick it back to the provider and then they kick it back to you.

Are you being billing for in-network or out of network services or possibly both?

Never pay a claim until the EOB says it has been finalized and that EOB matches the bill from the provider. The provider has no clue what you have paid into or towards your yearly deductible. They just send everyone invoices until they get paid. They also use 3rd party billers a lot of time as well so things do get messed up, and claims issues happen more than you know. Its usually someone eating bons bons sitting on their couch all day plugging numbers into a keyboard and when the chocolate hits the wrong key you have an issue LOL SmileSmile

Again, without knowing anything about your policy I am just rattling off the first few things that popped into my head as I am reading all of these replies shaking my head.....

Like I said, send me a PM and I can call you or you can call me at my office and I am more than happy to help you out. This is something that your agent or the place you work at, their agent, gets paid to do directly from the insurance carrier for. If they are not willing to help you out then its time to find an agent that will.

I am not saying I will have all the answers or even the answers you want to hear but one way or another I know I can help you get down to the bottom of it. You cant beat free help!!!

Sorry for the long post!

T.J.
Im working on getting a copy of the policy from HR to review it. Specifically the full list of hazardous activites. Also like i said, i sent in an appeal. I want to let that go through the process first before i reach out further.

As of today, i recieved another packet in the mail. They went on to deny ALL of the claims sent to them. So i can easily up that bill to over $100,000. What a mess.

Post a reply to: Health insurance for moto

The Latest