Health insurance...

cr250kid
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 12:18pm
what does everyone do when they get hurt? Do you guys just lie and say you were in a car accident or something like that? I have had two accidents in about a year 1/2.( lacerated spleen and now collarbone). The first I said it was my dirtbike and now lied and said it was a bmx crash lol. I am wandering bc my parents think our health insurance will cancel us if I have to go to the hospital again. What kind of health insurance do you have? Or have you been cancelled before? Thanks
|
c3011
8/22/2011 3:14pm
cr250kid wrote:
what does everyone do when they get hurt? Do you guys just lie and say you were in a car accident or something like that? I...
what does everyone do when they get hurt? Do you guys just lie and say you were in a car accident or something like that? I have had two accidents in about a year 1/2.( lacerated spleen and now collarbone). The first I said it was my dirtbike and now lied and said it was a bmx crash lol. I am wandering bc my parents think our health insurance will cancel us if I have to go to the hospital again. What kind of health insurance do you have? Or have you been cancelled before? Thanks
I was always able to take the pain to go home to get cleaned up and then go to the hospital, so it was always a bicycle crash. If at all possible it was a bike crash or a fall from a ladder. JMO
motosb
Fantasy
51st
8/22/2011 3:14pm
cr250kid wrote:
what does everyone do when they get hurt? Do you guys just lie and say you were in a car accident or something like that? I...
It is against the law for an insurance company to cancel you for use. At least in Colorado where I have been selling it for 16 years. Most carrirers here dont have a motorcycle exclusion however some of them do so you have to be careful about who you choose. So if you choose one that excludes it, that would be your biggest problem. I only have one big name carrier here in the state that excludes bikes. So I would find a big name carrier, here some of my best sellers are Anthem BC/BS, and Kaiser. Golden Rules United healthcare is the one that excludes so I would look careful at them as I do know they exclude so make sure to check your policy, and they do have a question right on there application asking such. Lieing is not the answer, getting it right at time of applying eliminates the need. Now Im sure we are going to here about all the times people have been stung, im just saying that in 16 years when done right I have had no issues. Good luck!
downandup
8/22/2011 3:22pm
Insurance Companies suck!

The agents don't, but the companies do!

Did you know that in California you are not allowed to say the word "insurance" in court"? Insurance companies rape you if you need them to pay. If you hesitate to pay a premium, or have too many accidents, they will cancel you in a heartbeat.

Insurance companies run the country.

The Shop

Indy mxer
8/22/2011 3:27pm
Tore my rotator cuff about 2 years ago in a practice crash.
Told them I was riding my mountain bike on some public trails.
Didn't want to give them any reason to get shitty.

It seems like anytime they hear the word motocross or dirt bike, a red flag goes up.
Accidents involving a bicycle seem to be acceptable. Sad but true.
Torco1
8/22/2011 3:33pm
I've never had an issue with health insurance and motocross. I have Health Net and have never ran into any coverage exclusions or anything and I have had to use them A LOT. In fact, I have secondary coverage through them as well that pays out if you get hurt. There is like a menu that shows you how much $$ you get for a broken arm, leg, ambulance ride, etc.......I made sure that motocross wouldn't be excluded and it's not.......even if I'm riding at a track where you have to pay. I believe the only thing that would dismiss a payout would be if I was racing for money.
cr250kid
8/22/2011 3:50pm
cr250kid wrote:
motosb wrote:
It is against the law for an insurance company to cancel you for use. At least in Colorado where I have been selling it for 16...
It is against the law for an insurance company to cancel you for use. At least in Colorado where I have been selling it for 16 years. Most carrirers here dont have a motorcycle exclusion however some of them do so you have to be careful about who you choose. So if you choose one that excludes it, that would be your biggest problem. I only have one big name carrier here in the state that excludes bikes. So I would find a big name carrier, here some of my best sellers are Anthem BC/BS, and Kaiser. Golden Rules United healthcare is the one that excludes so I would look careful at them as I do know they exclude so make sure to check your policy, and they do have a question right on there application asking such. Lieing is not the answer, getting it right at time of applying eliminates the need. Now Im sure we are going to here about all the times people have been stung, im just saying that in 16 years when done right I have had no issues. Good luck!
Thanks for the responses, and I just told my parents to look into our policy because I'm pretty sure we have golden rule united health care. Might be switching health insurance soon then
8/22/2011 4:17pm
You should seek out insurance that positively covers hazardous activities, rather than relying on lying about it. You're really setting yourself up for disaster if say, you get a serious injury.
I use Mega Health, which cover motocross: http://www.megainsurance.com.
About $200 a month.
Also, the AMA offers rider's insurance.

The rub is, if you are seriously hurt, like choppered in from the track like I once was, there will be no lying.
cr250kid
8/22/2011 4:31pm
You should seek out insurance that positively covers hazardous activities, rather than relying on lying about it. You're really setting yourself up for disaster if say...
You should seek out insurance that positively covers hazardous activities, rather than relying on lying about it. You're really setting yourself up for disaster if say, you get a serious injury.
About $200 a month.

The rub is, if you are seriously hurt, like choppered in from the track like I once was, there will be no lying.
yeah that was exactly what my dad was saying, what would we do if you were choppered out from where you were riding? your right there is no more lying in a situation like that
Sondy132001
8/22/2011 5:26pm
You should seek out insurance that positively covers hazardous activities, rather than relying on lying about it. You're really setting yourself up for disaster if say...
About $200 a month.

cr250kid wrote:
yeah that was exactly what my dad was saying, what would we do if you were choppered out from where you were riding? your right there...
yeah that was exactly what my dad was saying, what would we do if you were choppered out from where you were riding? your right there is no more lying in a situation like that
keep a bicycle with you in the truck, tell yer dad to lay it next to you Wink

S
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/22/2011 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2011 8:25pm
c3011 wrote:
I was always able to take the pain to go home to get cleaned up and then go to the hospital, so it was always a...
I was always able to take the pain to go home to get cleaned up and then go to the hospital, so it was always a bicycle crash. If at all possible it was a bike crash or a fall from a ladder. JMO
It is sad but that is what I have done, and you don't get the frowns and lectures from the Doctors and nurses if it was a bicycle accident and not a motorcycle wreck
newmann
8/22/2011 5:47pm
Just tell them you were snow skiing with the Bono's and the Kennedy's. It's okay to hit a tree with only a puffalump outfit on but fall off a dirtbike with full protective gear on from head to toe and you are the fucking devil himself.Evil
kripple428
8/22/2011 7:04pm
If I'm just out practicing then I usually claim a bicycle crash or I fell off the porch but if you are at a race you my as well just tell them I had to friends that were out racing and got hurt and told them it was a bmx crash or something and the insurance company went through all the local tracks results from that weekend and found their names and their insurance dropped them
Hank_Thrill
8/22/2011 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2011 8:24pm
Imagine never having to pay a bill for a severely broken leg. Or not having to worry about not being covered by insurance, because you ride a motorcycle. Or not have to worry about going bankrupt from an injury. These scenarios do happen to other people, and I've read a lot of riders on here claim that they quit riding because they can't afford insurance. Not to mention, there are some professional action sport athletes who have been severely injured, and got completely screwed because they could not get insurance coverage due to their occupation; and no fundraiser, or T-shirt company is ever going to raise enough money to get these individuals out of debt.

The system does not benefit the people of America as a whole, but it does benefit a few (and I'm not talking about the people who can afford quality health care). The people that the system is benefiting are the people that spend millions of dollars each year lobbying politicians and disseminating false information to scare people away from supporting a system that is actually highly functional, along with to maintain the most profitable health care system in the world. They rely on the collective ignorance of American society.

Both Democrats and Republicans, white collar, blue collar - it doesn't matter what color of shirt you have on - are the ones getting screwed over with this current system. Obama's "Historical health care legislation" was anything but that. Actually, it was historical in the sense that it now forces a country suffering from a recession with one of the widest wealth gaps on the planet to purchase insurance, which does nothing more but benefit the people who spent, once again, millions of dollars lobbying politicians to ensure no significant health care reform takes place.

America ranks second on total expenditure of health care of all other nations (most expensive), we have the post profitable health care system on the world, yet we have the highest preventable mortality rate. Go Google, 'The World Health Organization's' ranking for America's health care system. There are countries out there that have a system way better than ours, but for the benefit of those screwing everyone else over, do them a favor and don't look into it *sarcasm*.

I'm not anti-capitalist, I'm anti-greed.
Rooster
8/22/2011 8:20pm
Yikes, tell me again how bad our universal access system is again?

Add one more thing to the list of reasons I'm proud to be Canadian.
carlosmacho
8/22/2011 8:45pm
Imagine never having to pay a bill for a severely broken leg. Or not having to worry about not being covered by insurance, because you ride...
Imagine never having to pay a bill for a severely broken leg. Or not having to worry about not being covered by insurance, because you ride a motorcycle. Or not have to worry about going bankrupt from an injury. These scenarios do happen to other people, and I've read a lot of riders on here claim that they quit riding because they can't afford insurance. Not to mention, there are some professional action sport athletes who have been severely injured, and got completely screwed because they could not get insurance coverage due to their occupation; and no fundraiser, or T-shirt company is ever going to raise enough money to get these individuals out of debt.

The system does not benefit the people of America as a whole, but it does benefit a few (and I'm not talking about the people who can afford quality health care). The people that the system is benefiting are the people that spend millions of dollars each year lobbying politicians and disseminating false information to scare people away from supporting a system that is actually highly functional, along with to maintain the most profitable health care system in the world. They rely on the collective ignorance of American society.

Both Democrats and Republicans, white collar, blue collar - it doesn't matter what color of shirt you have on - are the ones getting screwed over with this current system. Obama's "Historical health care legislation" was anything but that. Actually, it was historical in the sense that it now forces a country suffering from a recession with one of the widest wealth gaps on the planet to purchase insurance, which does nothing more but benefit the people who spent, once again, millions of dollars lobbying politicians to ensure no significant health care reform takes place.

America ranks second on total expenditure of health care of all other nations (most expensive), we have the post profitable health care system on the world, yet we have the highest preventable mortality rate. Go Google, 'The World Health Organization's' ranking for America's health care system. There are countries out there that have a system way better than ours, but for the benefit of those screwing everyone else over, do them a favor and don't look into it *sarcasm*.

"Imagine never having to pay a bill for a severely broken leg" So let me get this right, you don't think you are going to pay for it? HA, this is really what people think. Let me explain, someone pays for it. In this case it is distributed. So everyones taxes go up to pay for it, the money comes from somewhere. So guess what, you tax money goes to pay for smokers and drug addicts, alcoholics and people who abuse their bodies. People think, oh health care is free so they visit the DR more often.

If our system is truly the most expensive, then we will have taxes higher than England and Europe to pay for it. Obama is already starting to talk about cut backs and how to offload more of the expense of Social Security to the old people.

Then guess what, when tax payers start paying for all of this, the will scream, why am I paying for smokers and alcoholics, we should exclude them. But wait, motocrossers abuse their bodies too and their injuries are high, lets exclude them.

You may not think that is the way it is going. But look at England. They have lists of people waiting for none emergency proceedures and many end up going to a private doctor and paying out of pocket. They double pay. Canada system has not gone down that path.... yet, but as costs increases one of two things will happen. Their taxes will increase, they will cut coverage, or they will pay the Dr less. (Doctors that are good will not settle for less and will not take gov subsidies and will be private only, and you will pay out of pocket.)

I am sorry, someone pays, either you pay for your own medical, or you pay for everyone else s.
carlosmacho
8/22/2011 8:48pm
cr250kid wrote:
Most health insurance companies pay for motorcycle accidents, what many do not pay for is organize racing or sporting events. But check to see with your insurance what they cover and don't.

In the US. If you go to a gov subsidized hospital. They must take you in and treat you whether you have insurance or not for life threatening or emergency treatment.
wildbill
8/22/2011 11:27pm
told the truth.

I fell off my motorcycle pinned 4th gear in the whoops...
bvm111
8/23/2011 12:41am
cr250kid wrote:
Most health insurance companies pay for motorcycle accidents, what many do not pay for is organize racing or sporting events. But check to see with your...
Most health insurance companies pay for motorcycle accidents, what many do not pay for is organize racing or sporting events. But check to see with your insurance what they cover and don't.

In the US. If you go to a gov subsidized hospital. They must take you in and treat you whether you have insurance or not for life threatening or emergency treatment.
Thats what gets me... Everyone forgets about the county hospital. Everyone demonizes the US healthcare system but forget that we are a republic of states and they can go to the county anytime they want. Go walk around any major city and you will see homeless people with casts, crutches, shit i saw a pretty sweet knee brace on a dude in San Francisc 2 weeks ago... Where did he get that? Everyone forgets our country is different from euro trash countries and the great white north OH Canadia for a reason... What was that oh yeah the war of independance and that little thing called the constitution! Lets not forget why the system is the way it is and start this lame ass comparison to sweden and england and jimminy christmas the great canadian healthcare systen that is in utter shambles!

With that being said i have tripped and fallen out my pick up truck each time i needed surgery... What a coincidance!!!!
mxmasta
Fantasy
814th
8/23/2011 12:59am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2011 1:07am
I am just happy that we dont have problems like that in our trashy Euro-Country :-)
neysbo
8/23/2011 6:50am
If at all possible we tell them it happened on a bike accident at our house. They assume we mean bicycle.

In some cases it is impossible to get around saying that it was a motocross accident like when you get hauled in from a track via ambulance.

To protect our sport and our tracks I think it is important to not give insurance companies and the public more info than they need. They already look down on motorcycles.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
8/23/2011 7:59am
It always depends on the nurse. If she is old and mean, I was remodeling my grandma's house and fell off the roof. If she's hot, I crashed doing the big 120' triple while battling for 1st place. Laughing

Honestly though, I've never lied for insurance, only to avoid the lecture. It's funny to me because I've been injured far more seriously playing rec sports like ultimate frisbee and soccer than I have riding moto. I shattered and dislocated my collarbone playing frisbee, which required 2 surgeries to fix, and the doctor just laughed and teased me. But when I chipped a bone in my thumb and required all of a $5 splint from walgreens to fix, I got a long lecture by the ortho doc about needing to grow up and be responsible!

Blink
nc97
8/23/2011 10:17am
Me and ladders just don't get along. Been falling off those damn things for 25 years now!Laughing
8/23/2011 10:29am
nc97 wrote:
Me and ladders just don't get along. Been falling off those damn things for 25 years now!Laughing
My brother and Dad also use to use that one. One day, though, my Mom contacted me and said my brother called her from the hospital because he broke his arm falling off a ladder. I told her that's just what we say to avoid hassles and he must have broke it dirt biking. Turned out he actually fell off a ladder putting up a tree stand and broke his arm. Go figure.
lumpy790
8/23/2011 10:29am
Years ago my dad got me special athletic medical insurance. Told the agent exactly what I was doing and he said it would cover me racing. Crashed and broke my leg....Insurance denied coverage 100% because I was racing a motorcycle.

I now say I fell on my bike.
8/23/2011 10:32am
About $200 a month.

Great point. Know your insurance. My health insurance from my employer will not cover anything that happens during a motorcycle competition because it is a hazardous activity. However, if I got injured play riding or at a non-competitive practice day, it would be covered.
captmoto
8/23/2011 11:00am
You have every right to tell a doc or nurse to stop when they start making value judgements about you. "Grow up", "figure it out", "get responsible " would get a "stop right now" and get a supervisor. A broken bone is a broken bone and they need to get over it. When I go to my annual phsical I get reminded in a general way to use a seabtelt, wear a helmet, cut back red meat etc. No personal remarks about my life.
As far as insurance, Anthem BC no exclusions or any problems.
downandup
8/23/2011 11:07am
Imagine never having to pay a bill for a severely broken leg. Or not having to worry about not being covered by insurance, because you ride...

With ya, it's all about greed. F@cking insurance companies!

Like I said above, the poweful insurance company lobbyists are so strong, at least in California that if you go to court, the word Insurance can't even be spoken. If you are in a car accident and want to get what is owed you and you have to sue, you end up suing the other person's insurance company and their lawyer shows up. The jury never even knows that! It's all hush hush and hidden.

American's need to wake up!
Suns_PSD
8/23/2011 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2011 1:23pm
Many good posts here.

Health Insurance is a scam and I'd suggest that you scam them back in any way possible. Treating them honestly is like treating the Devil honestly.

Can you tell I hate them? Can you tell that I have been screwed by the system and permanently ruined financially?

Democrats rely heavily on contributions from the Insurance industry to get relected and although I'm a HUGE believer in Nationalized HealthCare the plan we got is a travesty that only serves to further enrich the insurance companies.

I happen to think that profiting off another human beings pain and suffering is unethical at it's core. We spend 300% more on health care than the next closest country and the care we recieve sucks for most, is adequate for a few, and is amazing for a small minority. Having proper health generally isn't a choice like say which car you own, and therefore need to insure. All citizens should be required to pay into a nationalized Medicare system that provides basic and fair insurance for all. Plain and simple. The private insurance companies can get into the business of offering 'Cadillac' plans for wealthy people that disagree w/ the quality of benefits provided to them by the Nationalized system.

Post a reply to: Health insurance...

The Latest