Headaches after a day of riding

4/4/2021 8:22am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2021 8:16pm
I deal with this every time I ride. No matter how hydrated I am, I always get headaches after mx or mtb. The only thing that helps me is Exedrin Migraine.
Question
4/4/2021 9:36am

After a couple weeks break due to a massive pc clean up, I have just re logged to try to help.

I have read many interesting answers regarding sugar etc, and I don't want to sound like an idiot, but although it may be not the main cause, what I will say may contribute to solve the issue.

Indeed I don't know why, but depending on the helmet shelf, and size, I have also had headaches.

For instance, Shoei, Shark and Nofear gave me headaches. JT, AGV, Bell, Nolan, not. Wheareas it was great helmets for others, and even sometimes the most expensive, everyone has a different head.

I also tend to buy helmets that really stick to me, to feel the safest, but I tend to buy a size maybe slighty too small which contributes a lot to headaches too. Here it becomes tricky, too big, you swim in it, then with the size below, it gives you headaches, which brings only 1 solution, changing of brand.

That is why I would not be that surprised the helmet is part of the cause, also based on all the different sports you do that are not giving you a headache. I hope trying all the helmets for 1 hour in a shop and keeping each of them 5 good minutes will help you. Good luck!
Kenny Lingus
4/4/2021 9:58am
Question wrote:
After a couple weeks break due to a massive pc clean up, I have just re logged to try to help. I have read many interesting...

After a couple weeks break due to a massive pc clean up, I have just re logged to try to help.

I have read many interesting answers regarding sugar etc, and I don't want to sound like an idiot, but although it may be not the main cause, what I will say may contribute to solve the issue.

Indeed I don't know why, but depending on the helmet shelf, and size, I have also had headaches.

For instance, Shoei, Shark and Nofear gave me headaches. JT, AGV, Bell, Nolan, not. Wheareas it was great helmets for others, and even sometimes the most expensive, everyone has a different head.

I also tend to buy helmets that really stick to me, to feel the safest, but I tend to buy a size maybe slighty too small which contributes a lot to headaches too. Here it becomes tricky, too big, you swim in it, then with the size below, it gives you headaches, which brings only 1 solution, changing of brand.

That is why I would not be that surprised the helmet is part of the cause, also based on all the different sports you do that are not giving you a headache. I hope trying all the helmets for 1 hour in a shop and keeping each of them 5 good minutes will help you. Good luck!
I was just going to suggest it could be how your helmet fits.

I would recommend that anyone that has headaches regularly or seem to have them after doing something particular is to take it seriously. It could be something like an aneurysm. I've known at least 3 people that suffered from headaches who later had a stroke and died.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/4/2021 11:34am
I tend to get headaches on days that I’m really really concentrating, focused and riding really well. Maybe it’s straining my eyes too much, but that’s what I’ve noticed. also, certain tracks I get headaches no matter what. Almost like maybe something in the dirt bothers me at those specific places.

The Shop

4/4/2021 12:03pm
I got them to, just gets worse. if i race and really focus and pusch hard im totally done and have to sleep or i feel like my head explode.
wreckitrandy
4/4/2021 2:56pm
bvm111 wrote:
Hydration is not only water but minerals as well... If you drink too much plain water you will flush your electrolytes from your body and cause...
Hydration is not only water but minerals as well... If you drink too much plain water you will flush your electrolytes from your body and cause hyper hydration that is just as bad as dehydration. If you are active you can and should salt your food or supplement with electrolytes in it.... Gatorade and Powerade are crap and contain sugar.

Oh yeah you can't become truly hydrated by drinking water on the way to the track... If you complain of pissing too much when you drink water that's because you are dehydrated and your body is not used to consuming the extra fluid so you piss it out. Don't just slam a bunch of water but slowly increase your total daily intake of water throughout the week/ month.

I would have never believed any of that until my great aunt died. The doctor said she had virtually no salt in her body. She drank more water than anyone I ever knew. Was the worst cook, ever. Never salted anything. Of course, I only remember her being sick twice. The second time was the week she died. At age 93.
Timo
4/4/2021 3:29pm
I had a headache today and riding made it go away. I seem to get them indoors and going outside always makes them go away. I gotta move to a state that has more outdoor recreation!
4/4/2021 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2021 3:56pm
Indoor probably the exhaust fumes Exposure.

I’ve had aany different helmets in the past 5 years Fly f2 carbon, and shoei evo. Still get the headaches. Wore other helmets when I was younger and I’d get headaches too but had dad to drive home. (Taking like 12 years old to 20 years old days of racing.)

Feels like someone’s gouging my eyes out from the inside. Terrible pressure.
stone881
4/4/2021 4:28pm
Indoor probably the exhaust fumes Exposure. I’ve had aany different helmets in the past 5 years Fly f2 carbon, and shoei evo. Still get the headaches...
Indoor probably the exhaust fumes Exposure.

I’ve had aany different helmets in the past 5 years Fly f2 carbon, and shoei evo. Still get the headaches. Wore other helmets when I was younger and I’d get headaches too but had dad to drive home. (Taking like 12 years old to 20 years old days of racing.)

Feels like someone’s gouging my eyes out from the inside. Terrible pressure.
Sounds like it might be the occipital nerve getting irritated either by the weight of the helmet, or your neck muscles tightening up on you. Next time it happens see if you can use your thump to sort of massage the are at the base of your skull where it sits on your spine. If its really bad you will be able to find a knot.

I know the feeling, its like a hangover for me that lasts for days sometimes.
JT Moto
4/4/2021 6:17pm
It's your diet. You are routinely eating something that you are food sensitive to. When you deplete energy riding you become more sensitive to the allergy. Go see a nutritionist or take a food sensitivity test.
Blackie59
4/4/2021 6:57pm
I get headaches from running, riding my bicycle, and my dirt bike when we have very windy weather where I live in Texas. I just take some Tylenol and a tab of diphenhydramine after my doctor determined that I had allergic rhinitis. The sinus cavities in my head swell and it feels like my head wants to explode. Bright lights make it worse too. Doc said the wind kicks up too much dust and dirt and that’s what’s screwing me up. Once I learned how to manage it life got a lot better.
tomcm3
4/4/2021 7:33pm
JustMX wrote:
Here we are on page 3. This issue was covered in detail many years ago in a "Jody's Box" in Mxa. With so many other old...
Here we are on page 3.

This issue was covered in detail many years ago in a "Jody's Box" in Mxa.

With so many other old timers here, I am surprised nobody else has mentioned it.

Your boots are too small.

And not really related, but never let your dog hang around concession stand trash cans and eat poultry waste, and beware of discarded tears offs reflecting the sun.
Do you have the link?
MKMX
4/4/2021 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2021 7:40pm
I get headaches 9/10 on race day rather than practise days... I put it down to;
- dust in the nose (blocking sinus etc..)
- noise
- fumes from other riders on the track

Other contributing factors;
- helmet size/fit (too tight)
- goggles (too tight/press on the right spots to cause a headache)
- glare/squinting (different lenses in your goggles could help)

I try and eat through the day, stay hydrated and keep my nutrients up which helps, but I still get them with varying levels of pain.
tomcm3
4/4/2021 8:29pm
Still get them. Better when I eat. More out of shape I am the worse they are.
Sad to know after 5 years you have not finded a solution. The good thing is I am not the only one and is quite common, so I shouldn’t worry that much. Since everyone is different, a single remedy would not work for all.
I have summarized the different recommendations / thoughts given here in the table below, hope this helps. As for me, I have ruled out a lot of them and I now know I have to work out more (no surprise) and probably check with a doctor.

And if nothing works, here is the summary of the medication mentioned:

Goodys liquid shots
Paracetamol / Tylenol
Ibuprofen / Advil
Caffergot
Excedrine Migraine

4/5/2021 2:49am
I get the same, about 3 hours after I ride the headaches start. Feels like someone is trying to push my eyes out of my head, the same as when I had arc eye years ago.

I take a paracetamol when I get home and that sorts it.

Didn't realise how common these headaches are until reading this thread.
4/5/2021 4:53am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 4:54am
I get the same, about 3 hours after I ride the headaches start. Feels like someone is trying to push my eyes out of my head...
I get the same, about 3 hours after I ride the headaches start. Feels like someone is trying to push my eyes out of my head, the same as when I had arc eye years ago.

I take a paracetamol when I get home and that sorts it.

Didn't realise how common these headaches are until reading this thread.
Mine generally start at the end of the day I notice them when I’m about to be driving home.

I feel like before the Second set of motos I’m good. Or early morning sessions I’m good but as we get later end of the day I start to notice a little bit but then once I’m done riding in the truck on the way home it just rages.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
4/5/2021 5:56am
The pressure behind the eyes makes me wonder if it’s sinus related? Is your nose stuffy a lot of the time?

I had a bad sinus infection for a couple years that antibiotics wouldn’t get rid of. Would get splitting headaches if I went down in elevation to quickly. Ended up getting an sinus endoscopy to fix it and hasn’t been a problem since.
Panic_Rev
4/5/2021 7:26am
Still get them. Better when I eat. More out of shape I am the worse they are.
tomcm3 wrote:
Sad to know after 5 years you have not finded a solution. The good thing is I am not the only one and is quite common...
Sad to know after 5 years you have not finded a solution. The good thing is I am not the only one and is quite common, so I shouldn’t worry that much. Since everyone is different, a single remedy would not work for all.
I have summarized the different recommendations / thoughts given here in the table below, hope this helps. As for me, I have ruled out a lot of them and I now know I have to work out more (no surprise) and probably check with a doctor.

And if nothing works, here is the summary of the medication mentioned:

Goodys liquid shots
Paracetamol / Tylenol
Ibuprofen / Advil
Caffergot
Excedrine Migraine

You forgot Vagisil.

Joking aside, I would say the most common is dehydration/loss of minerals combined with not being acclimated to heat. Proper hydration is not achieved same day. I drink lots of fluids, but I struggle with fueling my body. Go to your local bicycle shop and get an assortment of gels/food to eat in between moto's.
Bret
4/5/2021 8:05am
I feel your pain. I too have suffered from migraines since I was about 13. I tried everything too and nearly quit riding several times. Even bike rides and yardwork would induce a migraine. I am 55 now and finally stumbled on a combination that works for me. I stick with protein on the day of the ride or race. I discovered this quite by accident. I bring two or three Atkins shakes with me and that is all I have for fuel. I make sure I stay hydrated before during and after. Excedrin helps if I take it when I arrive at the track. The final piece of the puzzle was my blood pressure. I am on Amlodipine now and it pretty much ended my migraines at the track. If I skip the protein shakes I will get a headache. Not sure what the key to this combination is but it works and I enjoy riding more than ever now. Keep trying different things. Hopefully you will find that winning combination that lets you enjoy the sport again.
4/5/2021 11:36am
Does anyone else get bad headaches after they ride? It's always plagued me since I was about 15. After race day I'd have a headache until...
Does anyone else get bad headaches after they ride? It's always plagued me since I was about 15. After race day I'd have a headache until the next day. Seems to get worse as I get older. And I dont think it's from dehydration because I drink alot of fluids the day I ride. It never affects me while I'm riding, just after i'm done and start loading up.

Anybody else have this problem?
FastEddy wrote:
The biggest most common culprit I know of ...is sinus type headaches from the dust/dirt/pollen. You may not feel it that day,but the next day it...
The biggest most common culprit I know of ...is sinus type headaches from the dust/dirt/pollen.
You may not feel it that day,but the next day it might feel like your head is in a vice(that temple pressure feeling).
Try a Neti Pot after riding.
You can clean out your sinuses and nose.
It's actually something good to do anyway,to flush out all that dirt & shit you breath in while riding.
They help with allergies also...

As you get older also,your sinuses sorta become weaker.
The little hairs that protect you inside die for various reasons.
Smoking,drinking,snorting drugs lol,caffeine,allergies,dust etc...can all mess them up.
Sinuses could be it. I had a ct scan 8 yrs ago, all passages are near closed. I hear the surgery doesn’t work. A lot of pain front, top of head, ear infections. I can’t take the decongestions that work, because they test ya positive for meth. New dot drug test bs.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
4/5/2021 12:12pm
Does anyone else get bad headaches after they ride? It's always plagued me since I was about 15. After race day I'd have a headache until...
Does anyone else get bad headaches after they ride? It's always plagued me since I was about 15. After race day I'd have a headache until the next day. Seems to get worse as I get older. And I dont think it's from dehydration because I drink alot of fluids the day I ride. It never affects me while I'm riding, just after i'm done and start loading up.

Anybody else have this problem?
FastEddy wrote:
The biggest most common culprit I know of ...is sinus type headaches from the dust/dirt/pollen. You may not feel it that day,but the next day it...
The biggest most common culprit I know of ...is sinus type headaches from the dust/dirt/pollen.
You may not feel it that day,but the next day it might feel like your head is in a vice(that temple pressure feeling).
Try a Neti Pot after riding.
You can clean out your sinuses and nose.
It's actually something good to do anyway,to flush out all that dirt & shit you breath in while riding.
They help with allergies also...

As you get older also,your sinuses sorta become weaker.
The little hairs that protect you inside die for various reasons.
Smoking,drinking,snorting drugs lol,caffeine,allergies,dust etc...can all mess them up.
Sinuses could be it. I had a ct scan 8 yrs ago, all passages are near closed. I hear the surgery doesn’t work. A lot of...
Sinuses could be it. I had a ct scan 8 yrs ago, all passages are near closed. I hear the surgery doesn’t work. A lot of pain front, top of head, ear infections. I can’t take the decongestions that work, because they test ya positive for meth. New dot drug test bs.
I can say for certain a sinus endoscopy works. Obviously do your research and find a good doctor but it’s improved my life a bunch
MotofactioN
4/5/2021 3:04pm
I also get pretty bad headaches after a long day of riding. Specially when I’m there all day. I’ve just gotten to where I deal with it and take some aspirin lol.
KMC440
4/5/2021 3:24pm
A few minute massage working from your shoulders up to the very base of your skull will help. It does for me when the neck muscles swell and start constricting blood flow. When I'm riding I don't notice it but "neck pump" to me is real.
If your lady isn't there ask a buddy, screw the creep factor if it helps that's all that matters.
Hope you find some relief Georgie.
mike_v812
4/5/2021 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 7:14pm
I get the headaches too not consistently the same level or every-time, but I get them. It could be ANYTHING; but the fact is there is so much going on with the head/neck/eyes/brain and body during riding its really no surprise the headaches come. It’s not so scientific. Take care of yourselves this sport is abusive!!
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
4/7/2021 12:31am
Headaches are going to have multiple causes. Strengthening the neck muscles helps if the cause is tension or simply stress on the neck.

If it's sinus related from all of the fumes and dirt, try wearing a bandana over your mouth and nose while riding.
Either that, or an N95 mask with the small one way valve on the front.
I started doing this about 10 years ago.
It doesn't filter out ALL of the exhaust or dirt, but it helps a lot.

I used to always feel like I had a hangover the day after riding. I wasn't sore or tired from the exertion.
I felt more like my body was filtering all the crap out of my cells that I breathed in the day before.
Since I started wearing an N95 mask with the one way valve, or a bandana, I've been fine the day after.

Post a reply to: Headaches after a day of riding

The Latest