Head on collision?

lappedrider
2/17/2018 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 11:27am
Did they ever update on the race coverage what appeared to be a head on collision? Looked like they had a long pause but never mentioned it.
|
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
2/17/2018 10:22pm
We were there and watched it happen. It was violent. It was weird because Braden appeared to get the worst of it at first, but he eventually got up snd got on the mule under his own power. I think Ames was the other guy, and he was moving around right after the crash, but they kept him down a long time and did the whole backboard thing with him. Strange crash. Ames got bumped out of the section before the finish onto the start straight heading the wrong way on easily the highest speed part of the track. But It looked to me like there was time for them to avoid each other. It almost was like Braden never saw him at all. He never let off. Square head on. Took them a while just to pull the bikes apart. Hope they're both alright.
Hank_Thrill
2/17/2018 10:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2018 10:29pm
There’s a phenomenon called motion blindness. May be the reason he never saw him considering he was traveling from the side. Google it if you want to experience it via a mpeg video. Hope they heal up. I’m really glad I didn’t go to the race this year.

https://youtu.be/Dnw40nrI8sE
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
2/17/2018 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2018 10:36pm
There’s a phenomenon called motion blindness. May be the reason he never saw him considering he was traveling from the side. Google it if you want...
There’s a phenomenon called motion blindness. May be the reason he never saw him considering he was traveling from the side. Google it if you want to experience it via a mpeg video. Hope they heal up. I’m really glad I didn’t go to the race this year.

He was right in his line. It was really strange bc as I was watching it I'm thinking "Good thing they have a little time.". Then, bam
JustMX
2/18/2018 1:56am
Perhaps target fixation was a factor

The Shop

2/18/2018 3:10am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 3:12am
He was right in his line. It was really strange bc as I was watching it I'm thinking "Good thing they have a little time.". Then...
He was right in his line. It was really strange bc as I was watching it I'm thinking "Good thing they have a little time.". Then, bam
Yea on TV you saw Braden get the position taken away and almost casually roll off the other side of the berm.. as you said, looked like there was time to regroup. Next thing you know there’s a collision and I’m like “wait, was that the same guy??”

Really hope Ames is alright.. if there’s any GoPro footage from that it’s gotta be ugly
Crush
2/18/2018 3:39am
There are so many simple things they could do to make the sport dramatically safer unfortunately it always seems like there has to be an accident till they ever lift a finger.

You’ve got a twenty gate wide start straight; how’s about using a few tuff blocks to make the track dog bone in to that corner and separate the highest speed part of the track from the primary block pass zone before the fucking finish...
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2425th
2/18/2018 3:43am
Crush wrote:
There are so many simple things they could do to make the sport dramatically safer unfortunately it always seems like there has to be an accident...
There are so many simple things they could do to make the sport dramatically safer unfortunately it always seems like there has to be an accident till they ever lift a finger.

You’ve got a twenty gate wide start straight; how’s about using a few tuff blocks to make the track dog bone in to that corner and separate the highest speed part of the track from the primary block pass zone before the fucking finish...
Seriously amazed it only happend once for the night. How many people to Osborne alone block pass in that corner.

As you say the fastest part of the track, in line with the corner that a rider is most likely going to be pushed off track in to the path of on coming riders just does not make sense.
Crush
2/18/2018 3:53am
While we’re at it, how’s about an obligation to cover all the concrete with dirt so no one ko’s heading off or back on to the track..
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
2/18/2018 4:02am
Crush wrote:
While we’re at it, how’s about an obligation to cover all the concrete with dirt so no one ko’s heading off or back on to the...
While we’re at it, how’s about an obligation to cover all the concrete with dirt so no one ko’s heading off or back on to the track..
In all fairness, he grabbed the front brake... I still can't believe Barcia didn't eat it at A2.
Crush
2/18/2018 4:23am
Crush wrote:
While we’re at it, how’s about an obligation to cover all the concrete with dirt so no one ko’s heading off or back on to the...
EZZA 95B wrote:
In all fairness, he grabbed the front brake... I still can't believe Barcia didn't eat it at A2.
He should be able to turn and brake with a reasonable expectation to not be riding on a greased ice rink... it’s fucking dangerous close to negligence.
500guy
2/18/2018 5:31am
Crush wrote:
He should be able to turn and brake with a reasonable expectation to not be riding on a greased ice rink... it’s fucking dangerous close to...
He should be able to turn and brake with a reasonable expectation to not be riding on a greased ice rink... it’s fucking dangerous close to negligence.
He should have to slow down and get on near where he got off, that would cure that problem.

Same goes for the deal with Ames, if He wasn't trying to jet to the next point things might have turned out different.
Crush
2/18/2018 5:49am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 5:50am
Crush wrote:
He should be able to turn and brake with a reasonable expectation to not be riding on a greased ice rink... it’s fucking dangerous close to...
500guy wrote:
He should have to slow down and get on near where he got off, that would cure that problem. Same goes for the deal with Ames...
He should have to slow down and get on near where he got off, that would cure that problem.

Same goes for the deal with Ames, if He wasn't trying to jet to the next point things might have turned out different.
That's a seperate issue to the dirt.

Indeed, he couldn't slow down because there was NO dirt there.
GTCD15317
2/18/2018 6:32am
They didn't update because it was avoidable accident of Felds part, you see they drug those big tuff blocks the mechanics stand behind over there after the accident to prevent it happening again. They should of been there to begin with.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
2/18/2018 7:03am
Crush wrote:
EZZA 95B wrote:
Crush wrote:
Maybe they can spray it down with Coke before the races?
Moto88
2/18/2018 8:14am
Crush wrote:
There are so many simple things they could do to make the sport dramatically safer unfortunately it always seems like there has to be an accident...

Thought the exact same thing after seeing that, why didn't the track builders dog bone into that corner!
mx216
2/18/2018 8:37am
Crush wrote:

He couldn't slow down because he pinned it down the sidelines like a retard. Again, If you go off the track it should be a penalty. Not oh I get to miss this section and pin it and get back on where I was!
dkg
2/18/2018 8:58am
There’s a phenomenon called motion blindness. May be the reason he never saw him considering he was traveling from the side. Google it if you want...

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Seems like the idea of intense focus causing perception deletion of what is rightly or wrongly considered irrelevant by the observer.
hillbilly
2/18/2018 9:32am
Remember when bowl turns went away because of a tragedy.

They slowly came back.

And I think the bare concrete played a part in that.

The concrete would worry me more for getting flicked and landing on it hard rather than crashing my skating bike.
kb228
2/18/2018 9:35am
That head on ordeal was a total bonehead move by whoever got knocked off the berm. He had room to immediately get back on the track and decided to go the wrong way down the other lane. It got someome hurt.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
2/18/2018 9:38am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 5:23pm
Ames is at fault. I think when he went off after the block pass he forgot where he was (going the wrong way on a straightaway). He seemed to be casually riding rather than hugging the tough blocks. I was there and saw the whole thing. It was ugly. I hope both of those guys are okay.

*Edit* I had to edit my post because I originally got the two riders confused and said it was Braden’s fault when I meant Ames.
jeffro503
2/18/2018 9:39am
That exact type of wreck landed me in the hospital for 3.5 weeks , and about 30 broken bones , along with a couple punctured lungs. Hope those dudes are ok.
lappedrider
2/18/2018 9:42am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 9:43am
Pretty shitty they didn’t update the TV audience. I assumed they were not because the situation was very bad. But good thing we got the Snapchat update instead.....
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
2/18/2018 9:45am
Crush wrote:
That one was completely on the rider, IMO. He pinned it as soon as he straightened up. He almost went down right then. He saved it, still pinned, and crashed when he jumped on the brakes to try to get back on the track a hundred feet later. You gotta be aware of your situation.
Melicar
2/18/2018 10:06am
Crush wrote:
That one was completely on the rider, IMO. He pinned it as soon as he straightened up. He almost went down right then. He saved it...
That one was completely on the rider, IMO. He pinned it as soon as he straightened up. He almost went down right then. He saved it, still pinned, and crashed when he jumped on the brakes to try to get back on the track a hundred feet later. You gotta be aware of your situation.
He peeled out full drift mode trying to get back and I turned to my lady and said this guy will never make it back on the track if he doesnt baby it until hes off the cement. when I turned back he was throwing it down right at the photog. I had a chuckle even though I really felt bad for him.
Melicar
2/18/2018 10:10am
jeffro503 wrote:
That exact type of wreck landed me in the hospital for 3.5 weeks , and about 30 broken bones , along with a couple punctured lungs...
That exact type of wreck landed me in the hospital for 3.5 weeks , and about 30 broken bones , along with a couple punctured lungs. Hope those dudes are ok.
My buddy's dad was killed that way on a clearly marked trail by a guy coming backwards around a blind downhill corner while my buddy's dad was going up. I'm glad neither was injured worse than they were.
Betuel
2/18/2018 12:40pm
jeffro503 wrote:
That exact type of wreck landed me in the hospital for 3.5 weeks , and about 30 broken bones , along with a couple punctured lungs...
What?? I’m curious to know how that happened and what bones? Crazy...

Also, when did this head on happen? I never saw it. Rewatched heat 1, LCQ and didn’t see it.
GTCD15317
2/18/2018 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 1:41pm
Betuel wrote:
What?? I’m curious to know how that happened and what bones? Crazy... Also, when did this head on happen? I never saw it. Rewatched heat 1...

Also, when did this head on happen? I never saw it. Rewatched heat 1, LCQ and didn’t see it.
250 heat 2 I believe, either way it was in a 250 heat
jeffro503
2/18/2018 1:41pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Betuel wrote:
What?? I’m curious to know how that happened and what bones? Crazy... Also, when did this head on happen? I never saw it. Rewatched heat 1...

It happened to me in June of 2005. The ripe old age of 38. At a big indoor track I used to run we had a family and friend's night , and had about 150 riders there. I was running in the pro/int practice ( always did pretty well indoors ).....and about 1/2 way through the practice , a guy came out onto the track , backwards down the start strait after I had just came out of a big bowl turn at the other end. We were both 2nd gear pinned and hit front wheel to wheel.

The bikes folded up , he flew about 30 feet into the corner I just came out of , and I got crushed between both bikes.

The list of injuries were , lost the end of my left middle finger ( down to the first knuckle ) , shatter my left hand , shattered both collar bones , chipped my left hip , broke and separated my sternum , broke a bunch of ribs and punctured both lungs. The left lung was the worse and was bleeding pretty good and I started coughing up some blood. I bruised my heart and liver pretty good too.

First 5 days was in ICU strapped to a big breathing machine. Was not a good time in my life for sure. I quit riding for 6 years after that , but came back in 2011 and don't regret it. But man , that time in the hospital and about 2 months after really sucked.
Crush
2/18/2018 3:17pm
Crush wrote:

mx216 wrote:
He couldn't slow down because he pinned it down the sidelines like a retard. Again, If you go off the track it should be a penalty...
He couldn't slow down because he pinned it down the sidelines like a retard. Again, If you go off the track it should be a penalty. Not oh I get to miss this section and pin it and get back on where I was!
Again, that’s a separate issue.... he pinned it anyways, but if there is dirt there he can use the brakes and get back on... as is he almost ten pinned a couple track workers and thank fuck he didn’t get a turn in or a sliding and flipping bike would have re-entered the track.

Post a reply to: Head on collision?

The Latest