Hawaii State Championship Kahuku MX 7/5/14

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 3:21pm
Flew over for the day to check on the track on Oahu where the Fox deal with Emig and RC come over to every December and to network.

Track is off the hook nice. It is on military land that is off limits M-F but on the weekends it is open. They have a huge trail network too in addition to a MX track that has 2 to 3 minute lap times depending on the configuration PLUS a quad track a pee wee track an an intermediate track.

Lot more shots to come.
|
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/6/2014 6:48pm
Nice. Are there bike rentals on the islands?
The Rock
7/6/2014 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 10:38am
Yes Kahuku and yes there are bike rental on the islands. Maui Moto has a fleet of bikes and can set up for off road riding or provide MX race support for any of the islands. Mike and Chris are the owners but Chris just split last Tuesday for a one year around the world motorcycle trip on his KTM530. Business is booming and look for announcements coming about Maui Moto and their new MX rental program.

Check out Vital's own markswart's GoPro video footage from the 2nd Vet Moto yesterday. Mark went 1-1 in both classes and in this footage you see Mark working up from a bad start blazing through the field.

Cat's got some riding skillz for sure!

Only thing I can't figure out is how those guys can stay on the race track without Acerbis markers cluttering I mean lining up the track everywhere. I didn't walk the whole track (got there when the race was going on and had to leave right before it was over) so missed the killer downhill section.

Tell me what you think of this track.. I am amping and I've only watched half of Mark's video.

The Shop

The Rock
7/6/2014 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 11:32pm

Shortly after this picture was taken I walked down and threw that small log over the fence. Granted it was off to the side of the track but I've been there done that RE: going places on the track I hadn't planned so I moved it. LOL

The Rock
7/6/2014 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 8:28pm

This is either part of the military installation or the Jolly Green Giant's putting green.

The Rock
7/6/2014 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 11:22pm
The Rock wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/06/58728/s1200_Log.jpg[/img] Shortly after this picture was taken I walked down and threw that small log over the fence. Granted it was off to the side of...

Shortly after this picture was taken I walked down and threw that small log over the fence. Granted it was off to the side of the track but I've been there done that RE: going places on the track I hadn't planned so I moved it. LOL

The Rock
7/6/2014 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 1:41am

Inoku (sp?) lives on Maui and races on other islands with the help of this container company that provides support for hauling racers bikes inter island. It can run up to 100 bucks to ship the bike at least 100 to fly inter island so you're committed if you're racing on all the islands....and there are definitely people that are committed. Some racers were on the mainland for LL regional and Mammoth but only the guy that manages the Maui MX track qualified. There is a fast young woman racer named Breanna Gomes who rides Kawis with this beautiful thick mane blowing behind her had tough luck in CA so won't be making the trek to LL this year.

Inoku on the gas.

Mr. Info
7/6/2014 8:39pm
That track gets slicker than shot when is rains and that red iron soil stains gear like no other but is a fun looking track. Been there one with the family a few years ago.
The Rock
7/6/2014 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 9:44pm
Mr. Info wrote:
That track gets slicker than shot when is rains and that red iron soil stains gear like no other but is a fun looking track. Been...
That track gets slicker than shot when is rains and that red iron soil stains gear like no other but is a fun looking track. Been there one with the family a few years ago.
Great that you've been there Mark and for sure it gets slicker than snot.

On the red dirt subject my girlfriend said when they were waving the white flag "what's that mean?" to which I said that's the white flag indicating there is only one lap left. She said that's the white flag? I said well at one time it was since it had the red dust infused into it and was closer to red than white. :-)

Ditto on the slick part too. Place reminded me of Carlsbad in places.

413-Hey Mike! Plan a vacation over racing here sometime and I can get you kama'aina ("kah-mah-aye-nah") AKA local rates on rentals. The Maui track schedule will be on the Maui Moto in the near future I believe. BTW if I have my own bike by the time you get here you can race it for free my friend.

The Rock
7/6/2014 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 11:45pm

Makana DeSoto's grandfather is a legend known as........

John keeping a watchful eye on Makana.

John is one funny guy. I had met him at DITD circa 2008 but it was a meet and greet. I had spoken to him on the phone about two months ago so it was great to connect in person. Very nice man and best of luck to John DeSoto as he prepares to go to Rome and race the Legends of MXoN.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/6/2014 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 10:52pm
I was just there two weeks ago. I wish I could've ridden, but time was limited. I asked the guy @ the gate if there was anyone renting bikes and he said NO. I didn't have time to ride anyways, but it would be fun to ride the single track there, There's over 400 acres to explore.
The Rock
7/7/2014 12:02am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 12:49am

Too cute

There were a few girls racing as well.

Thank you for your service.

No caption required

Alpinestar tester Jesse was sporting the next generation Tech 11s.

A big thanks to my lady Brenda for coming with me plus encouraging me to blast over there at the last minute. Mahalo to Lester the track manager for everything (plus asked for a picture) and mahalo to everyone we spoke to for their kindness. Can't wait to go back in December for the Fox deal.

mark_swart
7/7/2014 12:51am
Rock thanks for coming over and for coverage of our big race. The other great thing about this track- there are almost infinite variations carved into the valley. Every race they switch it up a bit so it always stays fresh. And probably the friendliest scene I've ever encountered. Paradise, indeed!
The Rock
7/7/2014 1:37am
You are most welcome Mark. Glad our paths crossed and I for sure can attest to the friendly scene on Saturday.

To all: Here is the track's website and a tidbit from the website:

Hawaii gets Representation @ The Ricky Carmichael Amateur SX 3/12/2014

Racers Represent Hawaii at The Ricky Carmichael Amateur SX @ Daytona Motor Speedway
Thor Powell, Levin Takahashi, Brian Medeiros, and James Kress made huge commitments to travel across the United States and represent Hawaii in The Ricky Carmichael Amateur SX. Congrats to all for pursuing a dream!!!

shredder22
7/7/2014 2:42am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 2:47am
Right on Rock! Its been a couple years since I sold my bike and I haven't been up to Kahuku since, but I got a little one on the way now so I can't wait to get my son/daughter started and ride together like me, my dad and my bros used to. Man those pictures bring back memories! Thanks!!
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
7/7/2014 4:11am
I loved riding there when I was stationed on Oahu from 2007-2013. I only raced there once. Track was really dusty for me, but I suck so I was stuck behind everyone and in their dust, I couldn't see at all.

Trails were a lot of fun too. They were supposed to be opening up an off-road park on Sand Island with an MX track. That was going to be open during the week. Not sure if it ever opened up.
The Rock
7/7/2014 9:00am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 9:04am
Electro21-They opened the track on the landfill by the airport but it hasn't been very well received according to the two reports I got on Saturday. My vibe is it might be like having easy access to Ascot or driving 75 minutes to a killer track AKA Kahuhu. On the subject of dust I am from Ohio and back there we raced in the dust plus we didn't cancel races due to rain unless the track was under water.

shredder22-You are most welcome and glad the pics brought back some nice memories. CONGRATS for the little one on the way! Is momma having a WMA racer or one of us? Smile

Speaking of little ones here are some pictures of the kekes

vet323
7/7/2014 11:49am
Brings back memories!

I lived on Oahu from '84- '92 and loved riding at Kahuku and Mililani (can you still ride Mililani?). There was also a small riding area on the windward side called the Chicken Farm (I think). I'm sure that is all houses now. Absolutely the friendliest riders anywhere with very little rock star attitude you see at most moto tracks.

The trail system goes from easy green trails to double-diamond hard trails and everything in between, VERY hard when it's raining 'cause everything is slick as snot. I used to ride with the Makaha boys (Matt, Mike, Dickie, Craig........). I'm sure they are still there every weekend (except Craig- RIP). I look at my photos from back them all the time, it was a great period of my life and those guys still mean a lot to me.

Great to see that the brotherhood of dirt bike riders in HI is going strong, too bad the Mauna Kea 200 is done, that was an epic event, for sure.

Thanks for all those pics, Rock- you made my day!
The Rock
7/7/2014 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 12:28pm
You are most welcome vet323 and glad the pics made your day. Glad you have great memories and for there are good people here but then again the same can be said for almost any MX track anywhere on the planet.

I saw this memorial at the track for Alex Gong and was reminded the high cost we and our families pay to participate in the world's most exciting sport.

MXisLIFE
7/7/2014 3:21pm
One of my favorite tracks to date I lived down by sunset and road almost every weekend for almost 5yrs from 2005-2009 it was amazing met some awesome people and some life long friends!!

Loved watching kainoa Bronson and Alex battle miss those days!

And after spending all day at the track you can trek down the hill to some of the worlds greatest surf!!

Definitely worth the trip as I will be back very soon!

Post a reply to: Hawaii State Championship Kahuku MX 7/5/14

The Latest