Have you ridden a yz450 aka Blue Pig?

BobPA
3/4/2019 5:01pm
I’ve ridden a couple through the years. I have not ridden a 2019. My take,

Great engines, lots of torque. Lots of useable power everywhere, actually.

Good suspension, obviously...

Just something in the handling department was a bit odd. I found them to behave very strange in rutted corners. Always wanted to stand up and not follow the rut. The bikes I rode had all kinds of fancy handling mods as well, JGR engine mounts, suspension links, etc. they also felt big and a bit sluggish. Stable as a rock on high speed sections.

Certainly a bike I could ride, but not a bike I would spend money on after riding different brands. The air intake noise was something I would not expect, but it was very noticeable the first few laps.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/4/2019 5:02pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
And I gave my honest opinion about my 14 YZ450 and got down voted :laugh: A lot of dudes in here are drinking the white and...
And I gave my honest opinion about my 14 YZ450 and got down voted Laughing A lot of dudes in here are drinking the white and orange Kool-Aid.
Well what comes around goes around. When KTM’s had the non-linkage PDS suspension they got bashed on here for years due to their lackluster results in...
Well what comes around goes around. When KTM’s had the non-linkage PDS suspension they got bashed on here for years due to their lackluster results in the hands of the pro’s. Like the YZ450 its performance was mainly a problem for SX, many riders found them adequate for their riding needs, me included. So who can blame KTM owners getting a few shots in.

So heres mine. It took KTM a dozen years to address the PDS “issue” and put in the linkage. I guess the results speak for themselves. Yamahas held on to this 450 design (it does seem to work well on the 250) for close to a decade now but it took them 20 years to dump the five valve head design so they may still flounder around with this design a few years longer.
I wasn't around for that. I was a bit too young at the time for the early PDS stuff and didn't start lurking here until 2013.

My thing with all of this is, sure the Yamaha might not work for some people, but it works well for others and is plenty capable of winning an SX title with a capable rider. I would say the same about the Suzuki. James won on the damn thing after it had been around and somewhat the same for 5+ years at that point. They had the rider. James also won a few races on that so called "POS" Yamaha. Little did we know at the time he was having concentration issues, but to most here, it was the bikes fault and still is. Put Tomac, Roczen, Marv, Ando or Webb(now that he is training properly) and they would win multiple times a year on the Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, KTM, Husky or Kawasaki. Yamaha and Suzuki just haven't had those riders. Barcia is a step behind and is inconsistent, AP is in his first year and Reed is possibly in his last season at almost 37 years old.

I don't care what anyone says about any of the bikes, they are all capable of winning with a top rider in the saddle.
Denn700
3/4/2019 5:29pm
Webb has said he liked the Star 450 that he rode. Maybe the problem is Factory Yamaha would not let him set the bike up like he wanted. Reed said the factory bike was the worse he ever rode. You would think these teams would learn. I remember hearing Kawasaki tried to make Tomac ride RV’s setup when he first moved there and he had to go over his boss’s head to get the bike setup like he wanted. Suzuki also wouldn’t let Alessi change the setup on his bike. It was setup for Chad Reed.
My only experience is from what I have owned. I had a 2016 and a 2007. The 16 was a big bike and I am a short guy. I don’t gel with it. The suspension was the best stock suspension I ever rode on but for me I would race the 2007 over the 16. I loved that bike.
OldYZRider1
3/4/2019 6:03pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I wasn't around for that. I was a bit too young at the time for the early PDS stuff and didn't start lurking here until 2013...
I wasn't around for that. I was a bit too young at the time for the early PDS stuff and didn't start lurking here until 2013.

My thing with all of this is, sure the Yamaha might not work for some people, but it works well for others and is plenty capable of winning an SX title with a capable rider. I would say the same about the Suzuki. James won on the damn thing after it had been around and somewhat the same for 5+ years at that point. They had the rider. James also won a few races on that so called "POS" Yamaha. Little did we know at the time he was having concentration issues, but to most here, it was the bikes fault and still is. Put Tomac, Roczen, Marv, Ando or Webb(now that he is training properly) and they would win multiple times a year on the Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, KTM, Husky or Kawasaki. Yamaha and Suzuki just haven't had those riders. Barcia is a step behind and is inconsistent, AP is in his first year and Reed is possibly in his last season at almost 37 years old.

I don't care what anyone says about any of the bikes, they are all capable of winning with a top rider in the saddle.
Well I think it would take the right top rider. Mike Alessi almost won a title for KTM on a PDS bike and Brayton had one of his best season on one so theres always gonna be the right guy who jells with an “odd” machine. Most who rode them though seemed to struggle and the bike always seemed to take the blame.

If there’s a lesson that KTM learned it’s “if you can’t beat them, join them”. Their bike was perceived, rightly of wrongly, as not being a title contender due to its peculiarities. For a pro rider, taking a KTM ride surely had to be a risk to the advancement of their career and consequently their earning potential. This surely limited interest by top tier riders and KTM probably couldn’t overcome this hurdle by just offering more money as I imagine their budget was much more restricted at the time. By changing their design to basically be like everyone else's that problem went away; pro’s on the Japanese bikes could adapt easier and keep their careers on a roll. And they hit a home run with Dungey coming on board and proving it could be done.

At this point I gotta believe Yamahs is paying more than the norm to get a pro on their YZ450 considering its reputation. They can probably afford it though.

The Shop

drt410
3/4/2019 6:26pm
Denn700 wrote:
Webb has said he liked the Star 450 that he rode. Maybe the problem is Factory Yamaha would not let him set the bike up like...
Webb has said he liked the Star 450 that he rode. Maybe the problem is Factory Yamaha would not let him set the bike up like he wanted. Reed said the factory bike was the worse he ever rode. You would think these teams would learn. I remember hearing Kawasaki tried to make Tomac ride RV’s setup when he first moved there and he had to go over his boss’s head to get the bike setup like he wanted. Suzuki also wouldn’t let Alessi change the setup on his bike. It was setup for Chad Reed.
My only experience is from what I have owned. I had a 2016 and a 2007. The 16 was a big bike and I am a short guy. I don’t gel with it. The suspension was the best stock suspension I ever rode on but for me I would race the 2007 over the 16. I loved that bike.
This. Webb also did good on that bike too. He said he loved the star 450.
cody41
3/4/2019 8:02pm
I had a 16 yz450. It was an extremely durable and comfy, but it was hard to push in corners and didn’t like to stick. I also had a 450sxf and it was the biggest POS I’ve ever rode.. Every 17-18 ktm I have rode was also felt like crap. The 17-18 huskies were notably more comfortable. I did ride the 19 450sxf and thought it was really good. Durability is a different story.
Talisker
3/4/2019 10:25pm
Yes, i have rode the big blue pig. Had many 4T bikes starting with 06. Never had any issues with anything breaking. After the switch to the reverse engine, i could never ever get fully comfortable in the cockpit. As many mentioned, never could get the thing to consistently turn correct. I would find myself avoiding certain lines. This new 18-19 is suppose to eliminate all the old Yamaha feel and turn better than any previous generation. This still won't get me to buy another one. Been Pro Yamaha since 03, with a couple other brands thrown in here and there. Sorry Blue Cru, Suzuki or Kawi will get my business.
nick610s
3/5/2019 10:23am
nick610s wrote:
I think what you are overlooking as far as supercross goes is that Yamaha has ultimate control over the parts on the bikes, travis Preston helps...
I think what you are overlooking as far as supercross goes is that Yamaha has ultimate control over the parts on the bikes, travis Preston helps develop for the USA but factory Yamaha doesn’t let them change a whole lot. Which they need to allow he team more flexibility. Saying that you can see how much better the Honda has gotten for roczen and seely.. It wasn’t that great in 17-18’ our both of them on their asses. KTM has a better development cycle because their main business is motorcycles, the PowerSports side of the Japanese brands is a small spec on their radars. So we get incrementally better bikes every 4 years.

Yamaha’s came leaps and bounds since the last gen bike, I had a 15 yz450 and a 17 yz250, got back on a Honda and all it wanted to do was throw me to the ground. So I bought an 18 YZ450..

I’m a 6’0 vet B’ish rider And I’m 38. The Yamaha fits me like a glove and the suspension/motor package is hard to beat. It’s stable, turns pretty good (even better with premium tires). Needs to lose a little pork but I can lose 3-4 lbs going to a TI exhaust and I’ve already lost 3.5 lbs switching to Hoosier tires.. that puts me within 10 lbs of a Ktm. Which I think feel like they are from another planet. I’m at 74 hours with zero problems.. putting in a new top end this week to freshen her up a bit.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Sure, Yamaha might be limiting how much the riders can change. I won't argue that. But what other factory team can say their bike won and...
Sure, Yamaha might be limiting how much the riders can change. I won't argue that. But what other factory team can say their bike won and has been finishing in the top ten at almost every round with as many stock parts as the Yamaha? Yamaha is trying to show that they don't need all those fancy parts to be competitive at the pro level.
There are a lot more fancy parts on that factory yz450 than anyone can tell. Gear boxes etc, I just don’t think they are getting the chassis setup they need from Japan. The crazy thing is if you look at the outdoors Japanese bikes they make all sort of chassis adjustments. Bottom line is people are still scared of Yamaha’s because of James Stewart, and they haven’t made a push to hire another championship level rider since James. They just don’t want to spend the money is what it feels like and Yamaha has always been a little more frugal when it comes to their factory guys.. If Yamaha wanted to be back on top then they need to get a top level guy and allow them to make changes to suit them.

I attribute Webb’s success to Aldon’s training.. if he had someone whoop his ass into shape while he was on Yamaha, I think his results would have been better.

I mean I have just revalved my suspension and mapped it and it works great for me. I’m on the fence of doing a full build with FCP motor mounts, a kit stuff etc to make it even better.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3584th
3/5/2019 10:54am
I ride an 04 yz125 and a 17yz250. Before the 18 the last yz450f I rode was a 14 and I hated the thing. Engine braking almost threw me over the bars in a roller section, didn’t turn worth a crap and it was fast in a bad way (too jerky).
I have ridden my buddies 18 many times and it’s the best 450 I’ve ever ridden. Turns awesome, plenty fast but it has a great linear power delivery. I can ring it’s neck and still feel in control with how predictable the bike is. Great suspension and my favorite part, not so much engine braking!
BikeGuy321
3/5/2019 11:01am
Very powerful and reliable, but uncomfortable to ride aggresively because of the ergos. Yamahas are excellent bikes for casual riders because they are dependable and run forever, but there are better choices for serious racing IMO.

Yamaha nowdays is like KTM 10 years ago. They do well in 250 because that class is mainly about who's got the horsepower, but their 450 is a half step back handling wise and it shows in the results. They need to steal some Honda engineers to fix their ergo's, then all the other brands would have a hard time selling bikes.

Post a reply to: Have you ridden a yz450 aka Blue Pig?

The Latest