Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2019 6:47 PM

Have you ridden a 2014-Current yz450

View Results

|

3/3/2019 6:50 PM

One of your poll options should have been:

- The blue pig is a great bike for anything other than the highest level of racing in Supercross

|

3/3/2019 6:55 PM

Black Diesel Bomber wrote:

- The blue pig is a great bike for anything other than the highest level of racing ...more

How is it not competative? Winning the season opener and a red plate isn’t? Especially when Webb came out as not training very hard and now with Aldon dropping 15 pounds off him, he was going to resign with them but it wasn’t the contract he wanted and didn’t have decoster/Aldon

|

3/3/2019 6:56 PM

- The blue pig is a great bike for anything other than the highest level of racing ...more

I believe that would fall under the “yes. I love them.” Category

|

3/3/2019 7:11 PM

Aren't you the same guy that used "nom de plume" in a sentence earlier.

C'mon man, ok so you're not a Yamaha fan...where's this poll going?

|

3/3/2019 7:16 PM

I had an '04 and...funny.... "Big Blue Pig" was _exactly_ my nickname for it. Sold it after I bought an '05 KX 125. Wouldn't turn and had a tough low end hit that finally got tamed when I put a Dubach FWW on it. Photo

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2019 Husqvarna TX300
2021 Honda CB500X

3/3/2019 7:18 PM

Mm471 wrote:

How is it not competative? Winning the season opener and a red plate isn’t? Especially when Webb came out as not training very ...more

It's not a good bike for Supercross, plain and simple. The stars occasionally align for the big blue bike, but it's rare. It's a topic that gets beat to death here and always results in Yamaha fans getting super defensive about their bikes. I posted my thoughts on this in another thread so I'll copy it here.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Its-not-the-bike-its-the-rider,1354225

Stating the obvious about the Yamaha 450 has never been received well on Vital as guys get real defensive about their bikes. The truth is, that blue 450 is a great bike for 99% of the population but it simply does not work for competing at the highest levels in Supercross. The same argument could be made about MX as well. Year after year we have seen the blue 450 struggle. Guys will always argue that is does well overseas...but, they modify their chassis. Or, others will point to a rare blue 450 win like the mud race that Barcia just won...the key word is rare. It ended JS's career and hasn't done well since. The blue 250 on the other hand seems to work great, no issues there.

Cooper is just another rider to prove the blue 250 works and the blue 450 doesn't. Cooper hauled ass on the 250, and flopped on the 450. The blue pitch forks will argue it's because he stepped up his training program....yeah, well that will improve your results but doesn't make you go faster, it makes you go faster for a longer period of time (speed vs fitness). If he was out of shape on the blue 450 he should have still had the speed to run up front for 5 laps and then drop anchor (due to fitness). But that didn't happen, because the bike was holding him back (speed). Seems like Plessinger is dealing with it now, I bet he wishes he could hop back on the 250.

And to the angry blue crowd, I have no problem with the blue 450 for myself. I'm looking at one for my next bike as they've been very reliable bikes for me in the past. It definitely won't slow me down with the type of riding I do, but it obviously slows down the pros at the top level. Cooper Webb is the latest rider to put another nail in that blue coffin.

|

3/3/2019 7:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 7:21 PM

Forty wrote:

C'mon man, ok so you're not a Yamaha fan...where's ...more

I didn’t say I’m not a Yamaha fan. I owned Yamahas exclusively for a few years recently. They were 2 strokes, but Yamaha nonetheless. I did ride a friends 2016 yz450 for about 2 laps before I decided to get off of it because it was so foreign and wide that it felt like a quad.

Also, the poll is just for fun. You know, banter. The point of this entire forum. Opinions on motorcycles and motorcycle races. Pretty simple.

|

3/3/2019 7:24 PM

Forty wrote:

C'mon man, ok so you're not a Yamaha fan...where's ...more

observeroffacts wrote:

I didn’t say I’m not a Yamaha fan. I owned Yamahas exclusively for a few years recently. They were 2 strokes, but Yamaha ...more

Fair enough.

|

3/3/2019 7:29 PM

Love my 18

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

3/3/2019 7:32 PM

so you rode one for 2 laps and decided it was a bad bike... mmm ok.

|

3/3/2019 7:33 PM

People judging a factory bike on Vital, lol. Inbetween this and Cooksey diagnosising Eli’s mental state, this place is on a roll.

|

3/3/2019 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 7:39 PM

SLAPAHO wrote:

I’ve ridden bikes that took me two corners to realize I liked em too. That’s kinda how a first impression works “Slap A Ho”

|

3/3/2019 7:40 PM

Absolutely loved my 14. Still bummed I don’t have it, but I love my yz250 smoker also. If I were seriously riding a long and even racing, I would have kept that 450. Best motor I’ve ever ridden and great handling with damn good suspension. I’m 6’1ish and I felt super comfortable on it from the time I got it home

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/3/2019 7:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2019 4:57 PM

SLAPAHO wrote:

observeroffacts wrote:

I’ve ridden bikes that took me two corners to realize I liked em too. That’s kinda how a first impression works “Slap A Ho”

well, you said it felt like a quad, sooo, that's my first impression of you.

|

3/3/2019 8:12 PM

I somewhat agree with that. The current YZ 250 is a excellent bike but.......

.....the older YZ 450 was a real fat swine, the new 450 in my opinion is still a pig for a smaller rider and overall is a good bike for us normal folk.

Here's a fact. All the Jap bikes have fallen behind KTM and Husqy.

AC222 and Prado won on KTMs yesterday, Webb, Bagget and Marv sweep the podium.

And look at Webb's 450 career....

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

3/3/2019 8:13 PM

Premix wrote:

People judging a factory bike on Vital, lol. Inbetween this and Cooksey diagnosising Eli’s mental state, this place is on a ...more

laughing
|

3/3/2019 8:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 8:22 PM

Boomslang wrote:

I somewhat agree with that. The current YZ 250 is a excellent bike but.......

.....the older YZ 450 was a real fat swine, the ...more

It was a pretty great weekend for KTM overall except the 250 showdown but Smith is hurt and McElrath had a bad start.

It would be mind blowing if one of the 4 Japanese brands went back to a steel frame?!?

|

3/3/2019 8:32 PM

Ramrod wrote:

It was a pretty great weekend for KTM overall except the 250 showdown but Smith is hurt and McElrath had a bad start.

It ...more

Ramrod, the steel frame is definitely better and I don't understand why the Japanese prefer to look elsewhere for performance.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

3/3/2019 8:40 PM

So far, 62% of the people that have actually ridden them love them. 38% don't. I love my '18, fantastic bike. Rode several KTMs and hated them all. But I'm a bigger rider and it likely had something to do with it - that or I'm just used to a bike that has natural ergos for bigger riders. In fact, the two bikes I have liked the most are the RMZ450 and YZ450, both of which are better suited for bigger riders (i.e. not scrawny midgets).

|

3/3/2019 11:44 PM

I didnt vote, I have a 17 model and I neither love it or hate it but there are things about it that I both love and hate..
In stock form it is just too heavy and tippy feeling for me. Have had the suspension lowered internally and it has helped, before that I had the forks way up in the clamps and a zeta lowering link on the back that dropped the rear 26 mm.
That was great for cornering but the rear shock didnt like it...got very harsh and kicky...went to softer fork springs and that was a big help.
MXA map and a gytr heavy flywheel helped a lot.
I love the motor...solid power and mine is like a tractor down low and im never game to hold it on till it goes flat..it pulls up a long way , but for me ..that much weight and bulk ...I dont like to let it rev too hard makes it to busy.
I short shift this thing and its very stable when I do that.

I hate racing it... every time I do ,I either have some little tip over or stall and cant get the thing started again anywhere near quick enough.

I am for dead certain..way faster on my beat up old 06 yz 125..
Ive ridden mostly 125's my whole life...this is my first 450.
I dont want to be too critical of the 450, because I'm a really shit 450 rider..Im a 125 guy

People say its been no good at the top level...Dean Ferris would disagree with you Im sure..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

3/3/2019 11:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2019 1:51 AM

Rode a 2012 and it was the worst bike i have ever ridden. Rode a 2017 and it felt big, heavy and the engine was not very good (too much uncontrollable power), better than the first gen but i would not buy that bike.

Then i got to try the 2018. I fell in love with it immediately. I didn't plan on getting a new bike in the middle of the summer but i did after riding the 2018 (that was my first Yamaha ever). It does everything really, really well. It's the most stable cornering bike that i have had, it has the best engine package with a lot of adjustability (the app), it has great stock suspension. And looking at all the shootouts, the majority agrees with me on those points.

I traded in my 50 hour old 2018 for a 2019 last week.

I'm 175cm "long"

I get the feeling that most people that bag on the Yamaha are people that still think that it's the same boat anchor that James Stewart had to ride (it truly was a horrible bike, i can only imagine how difficult it would've been to race SX on it). It's like using a narrative about the 2009 Honda when Roczen says he is isn't comfortable on the 2019 Honda.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

3/4/2019 1:54 AM

I had a 16 YZ450 and it was a weapon in a straight line. I could never find a rut easily in a turn though. They always want to stand up. I honestly thought it was me until I rode a well setup 18 RMZ. Difference was night and day.

Funnily enough, the YZ250F doesn't seem to have the same problem.

|

3/4/2019 6:42 AM

The bike is great for the average guy. But every fast guy says the same thing about it, push and you’ll eventually pay.

|

3/4/2019 6:49 AM

|

3/4/2019 11:33 AM

The 18/19 are night and day different than the previous gens. The new chassis is a lot more balanced and nimbler. My 14 was a great bike but would do odd things at speed and I had a lot of dumb crashes on it.

|

3/4/2019 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2019 12:04 PM

Its amazing how many 'experts' on vital have negative things to say about the yamaha's. No they do not turn the best. However when has any yamaha turned the best? Suzuki/Honda have always turned and handled the best for SX/MX. Yamaha's turn well enough.

Ive been lucky enough to ride the last several years worth of YZ450's and YZ450FX's. They are phenomenal bikes. Best suspension, great reliability, great durability, and the technology on them is unsurpassed from a tuning standpoint.

Whats odd is yes they are heavy. Yes the KTM's and Husky are the lightest bikes. However go ride them back to back. The yamaha's dont feel heavy riding them, and to me the KTM's/Husky's feel heavier.

I also want to point out the hypocrisy of the vitards using Plessinger's performance as correlation equating to causation from the YZ450. He was in a podium position this last week, and nabbed a 5th. In the premier class. He is doing GREAT for a 450SX class rookie.

Justin Hill is sucking egg's and can't pull his head out of his ass yet no one says 'well there you go, its the suzuki's. Those bikes are POS and holding hill back.' Give me a break.

|

3/4/2019 1:54 PM

I think what you are overlooking as far as supercross goes is that Yamaha has ultimate control over the parts on the bikes, travis Preston helps develop for the USA but factory Yamaha doesn’t let them change a whole lot. Which they need to allow he team more flexibility. Saying that you can see how much better the Honda has gotten for roczen and seely.. It wasn’t that great in 17-18’ our both of them on their asses. KTM has a better development cycle because their main business is motorcycles, the PowerSports side of the Japanese brands is a small spec on their radars. So we get incrementally better bikes every 4 years.

Yamaha’s came leaps and bounds since the last gen bike, I had a 15 yz450 and a 17 yz250, got back on a Honda and all it wanted to do was throw me to the ground. So I bought an 18 YZ450..

I’m a 6’0 vet B’ish rider And I’m 38. The Yamaha fits me like a glove and the suspension/motor package is hard to beat. It’s stable, turns pretty good (even better with premium tires). Needs to lose a little pork but I can lose 3-4 lbs going to a TI exhaust and I’ve already lost 3.5 lbs switching to Hoosier tires.. that puts me within 10 lbs of a Ktm. Which I think feel like they are from another planet. I’m at 74 hours with zero problems.. putting in a new top end this week to freshen her up a bit.

|

3/4/2019 2:00 PM

2stroked wrote:

Its amazing how many 'experts' on vital have negative things to say about the yamaha's. No they do not turn the best. However ...more

And I gave my honest opinion about my 14 YZ450 and got down voted laughing A lot of dudes in here are drinking the white and orange Kool-Aid.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/4/2019 2:03 PM

nick610s wrote:

I think what you are overlooking as far as supercross goes is that Yamaha has ultimate control over the parts on the bikes, ...more

Sure, Yamaha might be limiting how much the riders can change. I won't argue that. But what other factory team can say their bike won and has been finishing in the top ten at almost every round with as many stock parts as the Yamaha? Yamaha is trying to show that they don't need all those fancy parts to be competitive at the pro level.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing