Have you ever been disqualified?

Edited Date/Time 1/19/2015 3:48pm
I want to hear your disqualification stories (if you have any) and if you think they were justified or not. I'll start.

Before I got into mx I used to race Fourcross which is basically the mountain bike equivalent of bmx racing but with only 4 guys in each race and the tracks tend to be rougher and have logs and rocks and things in them, the tracks look more like skicross/boardercross tracks. It was the first round of the national championship and there was a long straight leading into a big 180 bowl turn with a generous amount of room left on the flat inside. I executed textbook passes to take the win in 2 of my heat races by using the inside line to cut the turn tight and bank off the end of the berm, taking away the leading riders line causing them to slow down and give up the position. It came to my semi final and I was in 2nd and went to make the same move but the guy leading was a bit faster and more aggressive than those that I had passed previously and he didn't slow down when he saw me coming for the inside. By the time I realised he wasn't going to back out of it it was too late for me to do anything and I couldn't turn any tighter on the flat part at the base of the berm so I ended up T-boning him. It probably looked similar to when Alessi T-boned Tickle last year.

He went flying off the track and I stayed on but my feet unclipped from my pedals and by the time I was back going, 3rd place had passed both of us and moved into the lead meaning that my attempted overtaking maneuver had gained me absolutely no positions. I crossed the finish line in 2nd but then got told by a race official that I had been disqualified from that race for aggressive riding meaning that I would be in the B final rather than the A final. In hindsight I should have just stayed behind the guy and finished in 2nd and I would still have transferred to the A final but when you're there in the heat of the moment you just want to go for the win and when you're holding the final transfer spot there's always the worry that 3rd place could get you and you would not transfer. The guy was pretty pissed at me because I caused him to miss the A final. I ended up beating him by winning the B final and then he went on to dominate the championship for the rest of the year.

Fourcross is an aggressive sport much like Supercross and in my eyes it was just a racing incident, I had no intentions of taking the guy out but I can imagine it probably looked really dirty from a spectator point of view so I guess they were probably justified to DQ me. Unfortunately there was no video evidence to review.
|
DownSouth
1/18/2015 6:35pm
I have been black flagged on practice day because I was jumping doubles in the C class practice group. Apparently the flagger thought I had too much skill and made me ride with the A/B group. Grinning
shanes
1/18/2015 6:41pm
when i was younger i tried dirt track , i got black flagged 3 times then sent home for sticking up the inside like you would do on mx track :-}} pussies
The Oracle
Fantasy
4286th
1/18/2015 6:58pm
I took someone out late in the 1st heat on a really sunny day, my left sleeve somehow worked its way up over my elbow. With short time and taking off early it was a pain in the ass to drag it down so I just took my other sleeve up as well and got blackflagged for having my underarms uncovered...

Heck of a day.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
1/18/2015 7:05pm
I got yellow carded in soccer as a 12 year old for tripping

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/18/2015 7:08pm
I once missed the checkered flag during a mud fest, and went another lap. I was black flagged the next go around and no allowed to race the second moto.
Rdubs19
1/18/2015 7:09pm
I was a catcher in baseball all through school. Ump threw me out for spitting on the plate when I showed my ass over a blown call. Got an good earful from my Dad over that one.
hvaughn88
1/18/2015 7:15pm
Oddly enough, I've never been kicked out of a race. I've been tossed from baseball, football and soccer. Played basketball for one year and I think I fouled out of every game, haha. Rdubs, been there too man. I was a catcher too. I aslo remember commiting the dreaded "ground-out-helmet-smash" after running through first base. Dad definitely made sure that was first, and only, time I ever pulled that jackass move.
1/18/2015 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2015 7:18pm
Racing at Ohio International Raceway in Supermini 15 years ago.

Kid mid pack crashed on a double and was hurt on lap 1, I was leading the kid in second right on me, we made it around before the red flag came out. The rest of field was red flagged and Prendes and I were just flat on it racing hard. Came up to the yellow, didn't double but was wide open up to it, got on the binders over the top of the jump to see a plus flag I couldn't see before...still raced by (didn't jump) Prendes followed did the same thing. Racing our brains out the remainder of the track we were both mad when that red was waving. We thought the race was over because we completed 3 laps of a 4 lap race. We got back to a full gate and was notified we were both disqualified for being unsafe when EMT and downed rider was on the track.

I didn't think it was justified at the time, but I'm sure it was justified. My mindset at the time was "you lose races when the yellow flag comes out" because all the kids in AMA d5 would just blitz right up to you and wax by you with no retalliation from officials. I found out that OIR wasn't D5 and you slow down to almost a creep when going by a plus flag.

It really taught me to use my head and slow down around a yellow flag.

@hvaughn88: my job in 7th grade basketball was to just go in with a few minutes left and foul people at the end to stop them from scoring so much. Otherwise I warmed the bench. Smile But that's strategy in ball sports!
1/18/2015 7:18pm
imoto34 wrote:
I once missed the checkered flag during a mud fest, and went another lap. I was black flagged the next go around and no allowed to...
I once missed the checkered flag during a mud fest, and went another lap. I was black flagged the next go around and no allowed to race the second moto.
I once pulled off a lap early during a mud fest, turned around to give a thumbs up to the guy behind that I'd been having a good battle with and realised he was still racing and that I had pulled off too early Laughing I'd say that was a bad call not letting you race the next moto.
1/18/2015 7:22pm
Years ago at a school body-boarding competition I got disqualified for catching the same wave as my buddy and grabbing onto him as a joke, judges didn't have a sence of humour. Tongue
hvaughn88
1/18/2015 7:22pm
Racing at Ohio International Raceway in Supermini 15 years ago. Kid mid pack crashed on a double and was hurt on lap 1, I was leading...
Racing at Ohio International Raceway in Supermini 15 years ago.

Kid mid pack crashed on a double and was hurt on lap 1, I was leading the kid in second right on me, we made it around before the red flag came out. The rest of field was red flagged and Prendes and I were just flat on it racing hard. Came up to the yellow, didn't double but was wide open up to it, got on the binders over the top of the jump to see a plus flag I couldn't see before...still raced by (didn't jump) Prendes followed did the same thing. Racing our brains out the remainder of the track we were both mad when that red was waving. We thought the race was over because we completed 3 laps of a 4 lap race. We got back to a full gate and was notified we were both disqualified for being unsafe when EMT and downed rider was on the track.

I didn't think it was justified at the time, but I'm sure it was justified. My mindset at the time was "you lose races when the yellow flag comes out" because all the kids in AMA d5 would just blitz right up to you and wax by you with no retalliation from officials. I found out that OIR wasn't D5 and you slow down to almost a creep when going by a plus flag.

It really taught me to use my head and slow down around a yellow flag.

@hvaughn88: my job in 7th grade basketball was to just go in with a few minutes left and foul people at the end to stop them from scoring so much. Otherwise I warmed the bench. Smile But that's strategy in ball sports!
Hahaha, you were the enforcer! I think that's the only reason I made the team. I suck at basketball, but our football coach was also the basketball coach so I figured he always just put me on the team so the good kids wouldn't foul out, haha
1/18/2015 7:39pm
Just remembered another one. My university has a karting championship where a bunch of us go and rent karts and do qualifying and then a race at a bunch of different outdoor tracks. This one track was really posh and had lots of actual marshals with flags, also had huge corner kerbs that we were told strictly not to jump. The skill level of our group ranged from people who raced karts as a hobby to people that didn't even know the correct racing line in a corner so they ended becoming moving obstacles for some of us. I was running 4th and the yellow flags kept coming out when the goons crashed but like GeorgiePorgie mentioned, I didn't want to slow down for them because no one else was either and it just lost you a bunch of time, I ended up getting a warning board showed to me.
Towards the end of the race some goon pulled back onto the track right infront of me, I tried to take avoiding action and turned in early completely launching my kart over the kerb and side swiped this other guys kart pretty hard. They didn't like this and decided to black flag me. Me and one other guy were both wearing black racing suits with white helmets and the race was at night under floodlights so not the best visibility and they ended up black flagging this other guy because they thought it was me. By the time they realised their mistake the race was over and I got to keep my position Laughing
1/18/2015 7:41pm
Just remembered another one. My university has a karting championship where a bunch of us go and rent karts and do qualifying and then a race...
Just remembered another one. My university has a karting championship where a bunch of us go and rent karts and do qualifying and then a race at a bunch of different outdoor tracks. This one track was really posh and had lots of actual marshals with flags, also had huge corner kerbs that we were told strictly not to jump. The skill level of our group ranged from people who raced karts as a hobby to people that didn't even know the correct racing line in a corner so they ended becoming moving obstacles for some of us. I was running 4th and the yellow flags kept coming out when the goons crashed but like GeorgiePorgie mentioned, I didn't want to slow down for them because no one else was either and it just lost you a bunch of time, I ended up getting a warning board showed to me.
Towards the end of the race some goon pulled back onto the track right infront of me, I tried to take avoiding action and turned in early completely launching my kart over the kerb and side swiped this other guys kart pretty hard. They didn't like this and decided to black flag me. Me and one other guy were both wearing black racing suits with white helmets and the race was at night under floodlights so not the best visibility and they ended up black flagging this other guy because they thought it was me. By the time they realised their mistake the race was over and I got to keep my position Laughing
Man I bet Reed wished they would of mistakened him for Weimer or something. Woohoo
KGAspeed
1/18/2015 8:13pm
Yep, once.

Every year my local off-road series had a big series-ending event. It was a gnarly, 100 mile, (typically) 5-6 hour off-road race (its now called the OMA Moose Run, I think).

About half way through the race, I cracked my clutch cover and lost all of my oil in my KX250. My dad is the one that noticed it at the pit, so we unloaded his monster KX500 and I finished the race (mind you I was 19 and maybe 140 pounds). I had no issues until I had to start it, if I had stalled it.

But yeah at the end, of course they told me my finish would not count, and I was totally fine with it. I just wanted to finish the race. I still remember certain things about racing that 500 that really stand out: I could effortlessly cross nearly any nasty creek crossing, and the massive speed was fairly well masked until I had to brake for a corner.
MarkF
1/19/2015 10:45am
I was black flagged because the ref didn't think I belonged in the 40 year old practice session ( i was 50 at the time). However, I have been DQ'd, docked, yelled at (by officials and competitors) , taken out, flipped off, fought with, all for valid reasons. Wow, now I feel bad.Unsure
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
1/19/2015 10:49am
I've been black flagged and DQed a bunch at BMX for rough riding. But the best was when I was half a bike behind a guy at the finish and I grabbed his jersey a pulled myself ahead.
peelout
1/19/2015 10:50am
my buddy got black flagged in practice because they thought he was practicing in more than on allotted practice. what happened is i practiced in the 250 Pro practice on my 250 and my buddy was riding my spare bike in the 250 Novice class. we explained that we both did one practice and all was forgiven.
h&m_cycle
1/19/2015 10:56am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2015 11:06am
yes 1980, highpoint.... I was classified as an (A) class rider in the 100 c.c. class....

I was getting ready to move up to a 125 class & entered both the 100 cc. class & 125 (C) class

THERE USED TO BE 70 to 100 bikes in those days in the 125cc class (C), group 1 & 2

I won the first moto in 100cc

I got 4th off the start & made one lap with the lead in 125 (C). somebody must of complained, got black flagged on lap 2... so they would let me run a 100 in the 125 C class...

also once for not wearing gloves @ motordome speedway infield supercross style track in the 125 (A) class which

Davey Coombs won... I think...
Cygnus
1/19/2015 10:59am
I carried the nick name T-Bone Tommy for awhile around here for what it's worth.
LappedU
1/19/2015 11:02am
All the time! I raced a sleeved down 125 in the 100 expert class, and once at the Astrodome, for getting in Hannah's crashed and had a split pipe, couldn't keep the pace with a split pipe. Guess I was kinda a rolling road block, guess I can't blame them.
Spydee
1/19/2015 11:13am
Me and my bro got banned from a Spanish Karting track for ramming into each other at any opportunity around the lap. We didn't think much of it as we were famously re-enacting a game of 'Destruction Derby', but the owner didn't see the funny side to it and was absolutely fuming!! He ran onto the track as we were approaching, and oblivious to his language but recognising the look of anger, we stopped, he yelled, shut off our engines and threw us off the circuit. Oh, we were kids mind, like 10... still kinda counts though right?
mmain62
1/19/2015 11:18am
I was disqualified from my first moto for passing on a yellow in a huge mega wide sweeper in Walnut IL the guy that caused the yellow was way off the track to. I think the reason I got DQed was I was in the open class on my 250f beating this kid on a 450 and was told he was the one who protested me ha. Then I was protested for riding my 450 in the open class by a moto dad because his kid jumped into the class on his 250f and didnt win. The track owner came and told me and said the guy was a complete idiot and didnt realize that his boy was in the OPEN class haha. Also this one time during practice at Galesburg I was puttin my laps in and when practice was over this flagger stopped me and grabbed my nose of my helmet and started cussing me out because i took an inside line while he was trying to fix a haybale cover.... hell im out there trying to learn the track not watching the haybales right? haha good times the same guy also watched me break my femur and turned his back and never waved the flag so hes a pretty good dude lol
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/19/2015 11:18am
Spydee, that's awesome. Was it Chubbs driving around with you?

hillbilly
1/19/2015 11:21am
I got disqualified for the same thing. A rider took me out on purpose ,cut into my landing from a high speed jump. A wonder he was hurt. I pickup and ride staight across 2 lanes ,no one coming,and t bone the guy . Big fight at my trucjk and was asked to leave.

kawboy388
1/19/2015 11:38am
Not from moto,although I got protested and carded in the O30 class by a 30 year old,I was 37.

DQ'd from BMX for rough riding.

Red carded in soccer for pushing.

Goose egged in bull riding for hangin' knot's.
Spydee
1/19/2015 11:42am
Falcon wrote:
Spydee, that's awesome. Was it Chubbs driving around with you?

Haha I thought it was you! Good to see you around mate, hope all is well. I was racing my younger brother, he must have been about 6 at the time.
TommyZ
1/19/2015 11:49am
I got black flagged once and was angry, I had done nothing wrong. I rode to the official that black flagged me and started loudly questioning him to find out what I did. He then pointed to my left side and I noticed there was about a quart of blood soaking my shirt and pants.

Good call, could have passed out and crashed. The cut on my arm apparently happened when I clipped the end of a flaggers flag while cutting a corner tight. He was not waving it, I just got too close to him. With all the adrenalin I never felt a thing.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/19/2015 12:49pm
Not me, but a guy that took me out. Crazy night at the track. Me and this guy were tight in the points for the little series they had going at the track. Typically, he would holeshot and then tire within a lap or two and I would get around him and win.

So it came down to the 2nd moto at the last round of the series. He knew it was likely to go the same way and I would win so his only chance was if I crashed. It was only the two of us in our class that night so they did a split gate drop and let us go first and then another drop for the rest of the Vets.

So the two of us take off down the very long start straight. I had the inside and was pulling 1/2 a bike length on him. Going into the high-speed sweeper first turn he backed off, crossed over behind me to the inside, and then aimed straight for my front tire as I started to turn and cleaned me out good. One second I was riding my bike and the next I wasn't.

The track owner was sitting right there on his quad and saw the whole thing. He radioed to the tower and told them to black flag the guy. I didn't know this and was super pissed and intent on decking this dude. So I pick up my bike and take off knowing I was too far back but planning to kick his ass in the pits.

Apparently, they were black flagging the guy but he ignored the flag and kept going. This repeated 3 or 4 laps until they were standing in front of him trying to force him off the track. After finally getting him to stop, they told him to go pack his shit up and get off the property. His kid was in the staging area waiting for the next race so the guy went barreling in there WFO skidding out of control and almost ran a bunch of people over. By now a bunch of people are pissed and trying to force this guy to load his shit up and leave.

About this time I get the checkers and come off the track. I start removing my gear and stomping over to this guy's truck. My buddies had seen the whole deal that I hadn't and grabbed me and stopped me. Right about that time 2 sheriff's deputies cars come in the pits to break the whole thing up and get this guy out of there. Hell of a night.
LappedU
1/19/2015 12:59pm
TommyZ wrote:
I got black flagged once and was angry, I had done nothing wrong. I rode to the official that black flagged me and started loudly questioning...
I got black flagged once and was angry, I had done nothing wrong. I rode to the official that black flagged me and started loudly questioning him to find out what I did. He then pointed to my left side and I noticed there was about a quart of blood soaking my shirt and pants.

Good call, could have passed out and crashed. The cut on my arm apparently happened when I clipped the end of a flaggers flag while cutting a corner tight. He was not waving it, I just got too close to him. With all the adrenalin I never felt a thing.
Had a similar one, was chasing the leader on first lap riding a 100 in the 125 expert class, and he went through the banners, and they got wrapped around my neck then were dragging behind me, cut the hell out of my neck looked like I got hung, so the scoring tower black flagged be cause of my blood soaked jersey, I didn't heed the black flag the first time so they actually came out on the track and held there hands and arms out to stop me, I was like WTF did I do, they said look at your jersey, good thing they stopped me had all kinds of roost in my bloody neck!
cmx152
1/19/2015 1:07pm
I did an uphill jump into some woods 1st lap of practice, got to the top to find a girl pottering along looking at the track like I suppose you are supposed to do on the 1st lap. I landed my front wheel square in the middle of her back, we both went down in spectacular fashion. She laid out in the track holding her arm, I picked her bike up and waited to see what would happen, nobody mentioned it and I was sent on my way to continue practice!

Come race time I was sitting in the holding pen and she wondered in with her arm in a sling, I just held my head in shame ha. Some body did make a comment about wiping a girl out but I laughed it off

Post a reply to: Have you ever been disqualified?

The Latest