Have you been to a riding school?

ItsConer
4/7/2016 5:54am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 3:26pm
Hello there, I'm doing some research into technique in this sport and how many people actually want to improve how they ride the bike. If you could take a few seconds just to vote here it would really help with the research.

I would also like to hear your opinions on this below, if you don't like going to riding schools, why? are they too expensive? etc

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this matter.

Thanks
|
Madmax31
Fantasy
80th
4/7/2016 6:07am
I went to Russ Darnell back in the 80's. It was done at Honda Hills, and lasted for 4 days I think. He did try and teach us some stuff about riding a gear up, etc. But we were kids and really didn't pay attention. The thing I remember most was, that all week he kept saying over and over and over, "on the last day I'm going to tell you the secret that I will guarantee to make you finish much better". We heard that like 3 times a day. So finally we get to the final day, and he has a big build up, "if you do this you will win". I hate to give up this information for free but here it goes. "Right before your moto is going to go off, go around the gate and take a practice lap". Yeah that's going to happen...if you want thrown out!!!!!!
mx836
4/7/2016 6:29am
Never been to a riding school. I don't really recall my dad trying to teach me how to ride either. Just figured it out and I feel like my technique is pretty solid. No doubt could have benefited from the teachings of a top pro or I'd have been one myself.
Rowlands
4/7/2016 6:39am
I went to one with Dave Thorpe in 2014, I went in with the attitude that I had everything dialled and was just didn't have the talent to go any quicker. Well damn did that day prove me wrong. It's the small things that they can pick up on which makes a huge difference. The main thing I learnt was how to read the track and choose lines that are not only quicker but save a lot of energy. Buy the end of the day I felt a lot smoother and way quicker. Instead of going at the track like an idiot and letting the bike ride me I was thinking about it a lot more and therefor building confidence and the speed came naturally. No matter how good you think you are I would recommend doing a training day 100% .
disbanded
Fantasy
1914th
4/7/2016 6:51am
My friend went to one once and I was still faster than him when he got back

The Shop

hammertime
4/7/2016 6:52am
i went to gary bailey when i was 15. amazed with what i got out of a 2 day school. he said i was ready for seattle sx...so i bs'd my age and went. almost shit my canadian pants when i was beside tyson vohland and donny schmidt on the start line for practice.
Superdave19
4/7/2016 7:18am
-Been to several.

You can always learn something. Our ego's tell up it's all about leaving the throttle on, etc, but soooo much of it is technique.
davistld01
4/7/2016 7:34am
Went to the Gary Bailey school back in the day. Gary taught me more about using the throttle & brakes correctly than anything else.
h&m_cycle
4/7/2016 8:04am
X2, at Lake Sugar Tree...
Steve125
Fantasy
2743rd
4/7/2016 8:37am
3 Bailey schools. 78, 79, and 94. I got hit with the stick a lot. I had TP199 in my class in 94.
racerx317
4/7/2016 8:42am
I went to Gary Bailey school for a week long training when I couldn't get past a plateau in my speed and it made a huge difference. The real work begins after the school to train yourself the new good techniques and make new good racing habits. Going to a school and then going racing the next weekend will not work as you need time to make that new training 2nd nature.

That said, my belief is that you need to consistently work with a coach if your not disciplined enough to slow yourself down and make yourself learn the new techniques as second nature so you automatically use that tech in a race. If not, your bad habits will quickly reimerge. Another option is for a parent to be there and either video or memorize the training your child is getting so you can reinforce it when you're training/practicing at home. I would not suggest racing again until the new good habits are engrained.

Currently my son works with Bryan McDonald who is a riding coach with Privateer Racing League. He's worked with some major Pros like Weston Peike, Mike Alessi, and many more and is the only other trainer that I've found other than Bailey that breaks down technique from the top riders to instill it in the racers he's training. Our gains have been amazing and got my son to LL 3 times.

So training is key for safety and for becoming a much better rider, but if you're not going to put the work in after the camp is over it won't change a thing.

piscokid
4/7/2016 9:49am
Madmax31 wrote:
I went to Russ Darnell back in the 80's. It was done at Honda Hills, and lasted for 4 days I think. He did try and...
I went to Russ Darnell back in the 80's. It was done at Honda Hills, and lasted for 4 days I think. He did try and teach us some stuff about riding a gear up, etc. But we were kids and really didn't pay attention. The thing I remember most was, that all week he kept saying over and over and over, "on the last day I'm going to tell you the secret that I will guarantee to make you finish much better". We heard that like 3 times a day. So finally we get to the final day, and he has a big build up, "if you do this you will win". I hate to give up this information for free but here it goes. "Right before your moto is going to go off, go around the gate and take a practice lap". Yeah that's going to happen...if you want thrown out!!!!!!
Me too! I was on a RM85 and slept in a tent. Loved it Got whacked in the hand with a piece of snow fence for not using my front brake. Never had problem using it sense. Like others have said, you can always get something out a school.
ddog558
4/7/2016 9:56am
I've used Russ Darnell, Gary Bailey, Donnie Hansen, Steve Wise, and the "Official Suzuki School of Motocross" at Carlsbad in 1983. All schools were great, learned something different with all of them.

Some people like the schools, some don't. As far as the money is concerned, I always felt like it was worth the money to learn from the best, By learning from them, I never really fell into "bad habits" as far as my riding went. Try one. If you dont like it, you're out some cash and a few days of time...but you WILL learn something.
Falcon
Fantasy
843rd
4/7/2016 9:57am
Technique can certainly help. You don't necessarily need an instructor if you are an astute rider and can learn by watching the faster guys. I grew up in the '80s, when riding "form" was a much hotter topic than it is today. I practiced the techniques of the greats like David Bailey (Gary Bailey's son,) who had a fluid, effortless style. Classic techniques like that get you most of the way there, and by adding a few modern techniques (the scrub, most notably,) you can finish the package.

I did go to a Tony Distefano riding clinic once. He is in a wheelchair, so he had two instructors helping him out. I was immediately struck with the idea that Tony didn't really have anything to teach me... he is, after all, a product of the '70s and riding techniques had advanced quite a bit since his day. (This was in the '90s and even my own riding style was a little dated.) My feelings were reinforced when I soon realized that I was faster than both his instructors and could probably have given them pointers. I haven't gone to an MX school since, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't. You can learn something from anybody if you are invested enough in the process.

I'd still like to go to a school with an articulate, talented rider. I bet Kevin Windham would be an awesome MX instructor. Chad Reed, too.
dirtdog36
4/7/2016 10:31am
Tony D while on 60's and it was good b/c I knew nothing
Donnie Hansen - After I was racing and it was better than Tony D

Gary Bailey - by far the most technical teaching. It rained that week and I became a great mud rider.

The man who really took it to another level was Ezra Lusk's dad. I think his name was Ronnie... man he is all about line choice and leaving the throttle wide f open!
crusher773
4/7/2016 10:33am
I did a Donnie Hansen when I was younger I learned quite a bit there. I did the playground magazine boom diggity the first year they had it because it was close to me. Now that one was just more for show and screwing around wasn't worth the money.
dirtdog36
4/7/2016 10:35am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 10:35am
How many times did Gary Bailey hit you on the knuckles with that damn broom handle for not having a finger on the clutch and front break...

The guy who recently bought my road motorcycle safety class kept getting on to me for having fingers on the clutch and break! Thanks Gary!
4/7/2016 10:45am
I've never done any classes, but I have made friends with some really fast people who do get lessons and like to talk about and work on technique. Talking lines, technique, bike set up, swapping bikes, and riding together keeps us all progressing.
Snoqualmie
4/7/2016 10:56am
Private class from Mike Healey with two friends
Trav138
4/7/2016 11:22am
I went to Gary Semics school early 2000's at his farm/track in OH. I learned things that have helped me throughout my riding that I sometimes look through his books and it's like a refresher of what I forgot.
Drills he made us do during those few days I practiced at home and will still do.
I think MX schools can help everybody, but novices and intermediates more. He taught cool and fun practice drills that you can do anywhere and learn proper technique, learning how to practice. Things like that can help riders that don't have access to family or friends who ride to help them learn basic techniques. More advanced riders would do better in a private setting or with a small group with same skills. Gary kept his classes small and you get more attention good or bad lol.
Most important thing, it was a blast, a lot of fun
Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1131st
4/7/2016 11:23am
I did the Russ D. Back in 1980. It helped.
moto282
4/7/2016 11:26am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 11:27am
Rick Johnson and Doug Dubach on my YZ80. When you bought a YZ back in 94 you got the class for free. Did it at Perris. Was awesome and actually helped quite a bit.
neverwas
Fantasy
844th
4/7/2016 12:04pm
Went to the Suzuki school of Motocross back in 1976 was at Carlsbad,it helped a lot with riding on rough hard pack and my results improved dramatically, still have the gear bag and shirt that came with the class.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2604th
4/7/2016 12:14pm
Russ Darnell at Saddleback Park in 1977 I believe.......I /we found out you just can't fix stupid
USMCMXer
4/7/2016 12:17pm
I went to MTF for their two-day, Military Appreciation camp in 2012, and it was awesome! Colleen, Bryan Johnson, Joey Savatgy and Jordon Smith were our "coaches" throughout the time there. Different stations, broken up by age and bike size/skill level as much as they could with a bunch of military guys or their kids. Everything from rollers, turns into a big jump, landing into cornering, corner track (colleen tied my helmet to the crossbar to keep my tall ass forward), laps, free practice, starts until bikes were puking coolant, and braking techniques were all covered in station type training. We talked fitness with their then trainer Clint (now works at The Farm with RC's brood), Bam Bam came to sign autographs and give out some swag. All in all it was a great few days for me and my son and it was all free. I was spent after each day, as it was not easy. They pump out some fast kids that can definitely tear up the Amateur Nationals. The worst part for me was that although I learned a ton there and felt like my speed and technique improved a lot, Loretta's that summer was a total bust . Qualified in two classes, broke a wheel in the first practice and crashed into a downed rider with no flagger the second practice, ending my week before it even began!!! Would go back to MTF in a second. Say what you want about strict trainers and over-bearing parents, but if you want to be good, these places produce results...
peelout
4/7/2016 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 12:24pm
i did a ton of Gary Semics schools under the instruction of Larry Morton, even did quite a bit of the demo riding for his classes on 125's.

absolutely worth it. everyone can always use a little help on technique, setup, and fundamentals. learning how to practice was one of the biggest things i took from it. i'd go to the track every day after school and work on corner drills until dark.

strongly recommended.
mjskier
4/7/2016 12:31pm
I've done:

Donnie Hansen. Learned how to jump, did my first double, lots of fun until clipped the landing, went over the bar and broke a finger. Lots of fun.

Larry Morton 5 Magics Motocross Schools. Really learned how to brake and turn.

American Supercamp: So much fun I've done it twice and I'm going again in May.

I learned something different from each. I'm still as slow as I've ever been, but now I'm slow with the correct form :-)
JerseyFresh
4/7/2016 12:52pm
I did. I went to a couple group clinics they used to have at Raceway Park and did a couple sessions with a "coach" or whatever. It was good for me because my dad wasn't into it at all. He thought dirtbikes were death machines and I should have been learning a trade or some shit. So for someone like myself it was helpful to get at least a base of technique and what not. I'm a true believer in there's more than one way to skin a cat, so hearing others philosophy and ideas on MX is always a good thing.
MT MX
4/7/2016 1:06pm
I did the Marty Smith and Tony D classes back in the early 1990's and thought it was a waste of time and money. At least I got out of school to go riding though.
Agent717
4/7/2016 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 1:25pm
I've been to Champ Factory (Rick Johnson/Sebastian Tortelli), and Travis Preston's school. I personally liked TP's style of teaching. Even after he wadded up and knocked himself silly while demonstrating. No fault of his own though; bike failure sent him over the bars into the face of a big jump. He was a super cool dude and even chilled with us in the parking lot for a couple of cold ones after the class.

Fortunately for me, my employer covered the cost of the classes. If I had to spend my own money I might think a bit harder about whether or not it's worth it for my (casual) level of riding.
b8res
4/7/2016 1:26pm
Last year I took a class with Terry Bostard and Rodney Smith. Great day of riding and talking bike set up!

Post a reply to: Have you been to a riding school?

The Latest