Have to love KTM

kkawboy14
7/10/2019 1:54pm
All bikes are good I like that a manufacturer is flexible in its product line and is addressing the cost of entry level racing with serious...
All bikes are good

I like that a manufacturer is flexible in its product line and is addressing the cost of entry level racing with serious objectives.

Plus, two strokes RR bikes sound wonderful, even singles. If the closest thing you've heard to a two stroke road racer is your buds banshee, you've missed something.
Even banshee’s at full song sound sweet!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/10/2019 2:02pm
BobPA wrote:
Husky $9999 KTM $9899 Honda $9299 Kawasaki $9299 Yamaha $9299 Suzuki $8949 The difference between $9999 and $8949 is 11.083%.....Not quite 20% there big guy. The...
Husky $9999
KTM $9899
Honda $9299
Kawasaki $9299
Yamaha $9299
Suzuki $8949

The difference between $9999 and $8949 is 11.083%.....Not quite 20% there big guy.

The difference between $9999 and $9299 is 7.2546%....
mattyhamz2 wrote:
For arguments sake, is anyone actually paying MSRP for an RMZ or KX?
BobPA wrote:
No one is paying retail for KTM’s either...
Around here they are.
OldYZRider1
7/10/2019 2:22pm
Talisker wrote:
Wish all the manufactuers would catch on and apply this to motocross and dirtbikes in general.
At this point I think KTM could tell the AMA/MX Sports that they're going to campaign a 150cc two stroke in the 250 class and to revise the rules to allow it. What would the AMA/MX Sports do at this point? KTM's become a powerhouse in MX. This still might not achieve parity racing against the 250 four strokes but it'd give a lot us that warm, fuzzy feeling seeing them do it Smile .

I guess the question maybe whether KTM would want to do it?

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
7/10/2019 3:17pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Around here they are.
Matty if you ever want to shop for a KTM, try the new dealership n Poway. It’s a drive for you but they have some killer deals and sell quite a bit below retail. If you time traffic right it’s 2 1/2 hours for you
Ingjr1
7/10/2019 4:45pm
I do love KTM. I have since the early 70's. Every time I post something positive about KTM all I receive is negative comments and down vote. Jealousy is a lousy character defect.
rob162
7/10/2019 5:34pm
Here is somthing I have been saying for years. The oems are missing out by not doing this. At the very least with there non mx off road bikes. Buy using the same frame swing arm and engines that should drive down the cost of of there mx bikes as well as make these more cost effective. I honestly belive they should use the whole bike and just change controls and triple clamps for proper geometry. By adding this market if they could drop the price of mx models a grand and keeps these at the same price i would buy them both in a second.
kiwifan
7/10/2019 5:44pm
seth505 wrote:
For one, the brakes are 140% better Laughing

This is sick, I want one!!
cwtoyota wrote:
That bike is great, I like the attitude toward cheaper race bikes as it lets more people into the sport. With the 300cc off-road engine in...
That bike is great, I like the attitude toward cheaper race bikes as it lets more people into the sport.
With the 300cc off-road engine in the TX or XC, that bike would be a lot of fun!

On fourfourone's point: "How so?" I think it's crazy that people think KTM/Husky comes better equipped.

The brakes are better, but I'll give up the better brakes for good suspension every single time.
KTM (WP) forks are 140% worse.

An upgrade oversized rotor kit is under $200.
Aftermarket forks or spring/damper inserts are over $1500.
TimR wrote:
My wp forks on my 18 250fc is miles better than the forks on my crf450 -16
Please compare year to year otherwise its a meaningless comparison, the 18 CRF forks are very very good, best of class if I remember the shootouts correctly
kiwifan
7/10/2019 5:46pm
wonder what Recalls come with this one...WhistlingWhistling
yz133rider wrote:
Its not a honda soooo
Nasty, most (if not all) brands have had recalls of some sort over the years including KTM/Husky
mxtech1
7/10/2019 7:31pm
rob162 wrote:
Here is somthing I have been saying for years. The oems are missing out by not doing this. At the very least with there non mx...
Here is somthing I have been saying for years. The oems are missing out by not doing this. At the very least with there non mx off road bikes. Buy using the same frame swing arm and engines that should drive down the cost of of there mx bikes as well as make these more cost effective. I honestly belive they should use the whole bike and just change controls and triple clamps for proper geometry. By adding this market if they could drop the price of mx models a grand and keeps these at the same price i would buy them both in a second.
You aren't wrong, but in reality it doesn't work that way with pricing.

Modular designs share components. It significantly reduces manufacturing and supply chain complexity. Suppliers will typically provide parts cheaper as volumes increase. Increasing volumes also helps to justify automation, more tooling/machinery, labor, etc.

The MX line will stay at the current MSRP, while KTM benefits from additional sales in the road market and increased profit margins on the mx models.

FI2T
7/10/2019 11:11pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Around here they are.
Pretty near retail here. Good for them! They make a kick ass line up of dirt bikes. I prefer riding 2 strokes right now so I'll pay a little extra for a updated KTM.

I may be in the minority here but I'd say our sport is not that expensive. We all know guys who easily spend 10k on a mountain bike or road bike. Even worse then bikes, the guy who spends 30k on a side x side only to dump another 20k into doors, a cage, bumpers, rugged radios, wheels and tires.

If it does help bring the cost down great! Regardless though It'll be bad ass to hear a 250 screaming down the road, which is good for everyone! Nice work KTM!
Question
7/11/2019 2:41am
The thread title could be more explicit, I am glad I checked this one !
7/11/2019 3:47am
yz133rider wrote:
A chain that lasts instead of the shitastic chains japs use, odi grips stock instead of terrible grips japs use, steel braided brake lines stock, hydro...
A chain that lasts instead of the shitastic chains japs use, odi grips stock instead of terrible grips japs use, steel braided brake lines stock, hydro clutch, lightest in class, high end engine internals stock, best brakes in class, aluminum throttle housing stock, hr meter built into clamps stock, top of the class in each class right there engine handling etc, a clutch that lasts and doesnt need any upgrades stock.

Tons of pluses to them.

An oversized rotor kit on a jap bike still wont be in the same ball park brakes wise as a ktm.

How much titanium will it take a crf250r to weigh even what a ktm 450 weighs let alone a ktm 250... Alot more than the cost of a revalve lol.
Have you ever owned a KTM? I have. The chain was no better then my yz450f stock. grips are close in quality. Brakes are better yes...
Have you ever owned a KTM? I have. The chain was no better then my yz450f stock. grips are close in quality. Brakes are better yes. Hydro clutch is more of a preference then an upgrade. I like how a cable clutch feels. Not sure what you mean by high end engine internals compared to other brands. I don't need an hour meter its built into the ECU,

You act like they are leaps and bounds better but in all reality its not that much better.
My 14 yz450 was a pig handling piece of shit, it was 2 years old and in perfect condition when I sold it. I almost had to give it away cause no one wants them.
fourfourone
7/11/2019 4:35am
yz133rider wrote:
A chain that lasts instead of the shitastic chains japs use, odi grips stock instead of terrible grips japs use, steel braided brake lines stock, hydro...
A chain that lasts instead of the shitastic chains japs use, odi grips stock instead of terrible grips japs use, steel braided brake lines stock, hydro clutch, lightest in class, high end engine internals stock, best brakes in class, aluminum throttle housing stock, hr meter built into clamps stock, top of the class in each class right there engine handling etc, a clutch that lasts and doesnt need any upgrades stock.

Tons of pluses to them.

An oversized rotor kit on a jap bike still wont be in the same ball park brakes wise as a ktm.

How much titanium will it take a crf250r to weigh even what a ktm 450 weighs let alone a ktm 250... Alot more than the cost of a revalve lol.
Have you ever owned a KTM? I have. The chain was no better then my yz450f stock. grips are close in quality. Brakes are better yes...
Have you ever owned a KTM? I have. The chain was no better then my yz450f stock. grips are close in quality. Brakes are better yes. Hydro clutch is more of a preference then an upgrade. I like how a cable clutch feels. Not sure what you mean by high end engine internals compared to other brands. I don't need an hour meter its built into the ECU,

You act like they are leaps and bounds better but in all reality its not that much better.
My 14 yz450 was a pig handling piece of shit, it was 2 years old and in perfect condition when I sold it. I almost had...
My 14 yz450 was a pig handling piece of shit, it was 2 years old and in perfect condition when I sold it. I almost had to give it away cause no one wants them.
Sounds more like a rider problem not a bike problem.
7/11/2019 4:44am

My 14 yz450 was a pig handling piece of shit, it was 2 years old and in perfect condition when I sold it. I almost had...
Well my ktm 450 and husky 350 have eliminated that “rider” problem.....or were you somehow referring to the resale value issue?
fourfourone
7/11/2019 4:46am
Well my ktm 450 and husky 350 have eliminated that “rider” problem.....or were you somehow referring to the resale value issue?
100% rider
7/11/2019 4:49am
100% rider
Haha
BobPA
7/11/2019 6:24am
Most people in the northeast are. They don't really discount them much around here and if they do its very very little. Id like to know...
Most people in the northeast are. They don't really discount them much around here and if they do its very very little.

Id like to know how you gather your info? Do you even ride? Do you buy new bikes? You seem pretty confident knowing how the bike market works.
Mediocre cast....Not good enough for me to bite.
fourfourone
7/11/2019 6:26am
Most people in the northeast are. They don't really discount them much around here and if they do its very very little. Id like to know...
Most people in the northeast are. They don't really discount them much around here and if they do its very very little.

Id like to know how you gather your info? Do you even ride? Do you buy new bikes? You seem pretty confident knowing how the bike market works.
BobPA wrote:
huh?
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
7/11/2019 6:42am
How so? .
seth505 wrote:
For one, the brakes are 140% better Laughing

This is sick, I want one!!
cwtoyota wrote:
That bike is great, I like the attitude toward cheaper race bikes as it lets more people into the sport. With the 300cc off-road engine in...
That bike is great, I like the attitude toward cheaper race bikes as it lets more people into the sport.
With the 300cc off-road engine in the TX or XC, that bike would be a lot of fun!

On fourfourone's point: "How so?" I think it's crazy that people think KTM/Husky comes better equipped.

The brakes are better, but I'll give up the better brakes for good suspension every single time.
KTM (WP) forks are 140% worse.

An upgrade oversized rotor kit is under $200.
Aftermarket forks or spring/damper inserts are over $1500.
I know a lot of people don't get alone with the suspension but I think it's because that is what is true historically (air forks suck!) and it's what everyone hears.

Personally, I like my WP suspension better overall than stock or revalved KYB on my old YZ. That is not putting $1500 into them either, closer to zero.

Lastly, can we all finally agree that MSRP on the bikes are pretty close and some bikes end up getting discounted (not due to charitable donations by the manufacturer but due to necessity to move units).
RCF
7/11/2019 8:30am

BobPA wrote:
huh?
Pretty sure he works for a motorcycle dealer

Post a reply to: Have to love KTM

The Latest